Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crain posted:

No you don't get it. When he becomes president America will be Great AgainTM. Thus we will say Merry Christmas because gently caress any other holiday or religion.
Feliz Navidad :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Can't wait for that loving song to start playing everywhere.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can't wait for that loving song to start playing everywhere.

I can think of worse Christmas songs.

~Siiiimply haaaaving a wonderful Christmastime~

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

30.5 Days posted:

I thought that was chicago.

yeah it's chicago

though koch money is also huge in george mason university, as far as i recall

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

You're both wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I get to hear Mele Kalikimaka at work because the PA system is broken and they play this old Casey Kasem mix from the 1980s every loving year. It repeats infinitely.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Hippopotamus word with you. :colbert:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Good news: UCLA's economic department has determined that the New Deal made the Great Depression twice as long. Why, you ask?

If wages just stayed at poverty levels the economy would have recovered by 1936!

Did anyone other than right wing nuts take that seriously? It was a tough sell 10 years ago, I can't imagine it would catch on very well post 2008.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I knew what this was before I clicked the link. This might be the worst song ever created.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Maarek posted:

Did anyone other than right wing nuts take that seriously? It was a tough sell 10 years ago, I can't imagine it would catch on very well post 2008.

Just noticed one of them is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. Which really makes any of their points suspect.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Maarek posted:

Pretty sure their point was that the lack of antitrust enforcement is what damaged the economy, not increased wages. Not sure why that's a controversial point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Used to work at Chuck E. Cheese as a teenager, imagine that, with goddamned felt rodents singing over it. Also those weird Christian vegetable things.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZobarStyl posted:

Is there any significant overlap between "people who watch football obsessively" and "potential Dem voters that are on the fence re: Bernie v. Hillary?" Not to discount such folk, but it seems like a small part of the potential audience.

I'm also perfectly willing to accept the "DWS is completely incompetent" narrative.

Me but hockey. I think I missed most of the republican debate because of it?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand I forget who DWS is until I see her again and remember how irritating she is in interviews. Kinda like that dude from The Young Turks. TYT reminds me of all the failed right-wing satire shows with how grating it is.

I just every so often look in the thread and wonder why there's so much anger at the insidious influence of Dancing With the Stars on the US political system for a moment or two before I realize.

Really I enjoy those moments, so don't stop on my account.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Logikv9 posted:

I always though press carried their own little 4G hotspots anyway because generally wifi gets crowded and slow.

Not to mention that there is the very real possibility that the host provided wireless is being data mined.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zgol2NQhlM

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Can't post that without the response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Logikv9 posted:

I always though press carried their own little 4G hotspots anyway because generally wifi gets crowded and slow.

most reporters are really untech savy.

like a whole bunch of reporters still have aol emails.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Not to mention that there is the very real possibility that the host provided wireless is being data mined.

All corporate sponsored wifi, stadiums convention centers, etc. Super data mined, ALWAYS use a proxy at a convention.

Also the Xirrus points they use have some interesting weaknesses....

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Chuck Schumer has decided that he has not been getting enough attention as the Senate Minority Leader heir-apparent. As a result, he's announced that he's decided to set his sights on yet another travesty rocking America: caffeinated peanut butter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well thank god, it's about time we had some hysterical overblown fear about peanuts in this country.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah it's chicago

though koch money is also huge in george mason university, as far as i recall

No, the Chicago school is its only special brand of bad, not the Austrian school of thought. Chicago was Friedman, Austrian was Hayek.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Chuck Schumer has decided that he has not been getting enough attention as the Senate Minority Leader heir-apparent. As a result, he's announced that he's decided to set his sights on yet another travesty rocking America: caffeinated peanut butter.

Oh god, I just can't care

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BlueBlazer posted:

All corporate sponsored wifi, stadiums convention centers, etc. Super data mined, ALWAYS use a proxy at a convention.

Also the Xirrus points they use have some interesting weaknesses....

Yeah, but I would expect traffic from a debate room full of press to be subjected to extra scrutiny.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man who voted for man who wanted to take away his medicaid shocked that same person will be doing just that:

quote:

Still, the broad contours of his condemnation of the ACA are creating a quandary here in remote Pike County, where 55 percent of voters supported Bevin even though the county benefits greatly from the health-care changes he plans to rescind.

Dennis Blackburn has this splintered self-interest. The 56-year-old mechanic hasn't worked in 18 months, since he lost his job at a tire company that supplies a diminishing number of local coal mines. "The old guy had to go home," Blackburn says of his layoff. […]

On Election Day, Blackburn voted for Bevin because he is tired of career politicians and thought a businessman would be more apt to create the jobs that Pike County so needs. Yet when it comes to the state's expansion of health insurance, "it doesn't look to me as if he understands," Blackburn said. "Without this little bit of help these people are giving me, I could probably die.... It's not right to not understand something but want to stamp it out."

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/10/1448153/-Kentucky-warily-waits-to-see-what-Matt-Bevin-will-do-to-400-000-Medicaid-enrollees

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

Lord no. The entire GOP platform is based on pandering to what their base is afraid of. Fear is by far the best motivator of human behavior, in my opinion.

I've heard from advertisers and people in social media that it's actually one of the worst possible motivators, because people tend either to shut down or start despairing which is not the way to motivate change.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

I've heard from advertisers and people in social media that it's actually one of the worst possible motivators, because people tend either to shut down or start despairing which is not the way to motivate change.

Well, I'm just going to refer you to ten thousand years of human history.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Fear works but like anything else there can be a backlash.

Fear working: Republican Platform (mostly), Bibi's election victory
Fear not working: Taiwan Strait Crisis

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Fear is a huge motivator for the GOP.

HILLARY IS GOING TO _______________

Is basically their standard line of attack. And to be fair, the Democrats GOTV is literally based on "my god, we cannot trust these crazy republicans with power."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

Well, I'm just going to refer you to ten thousand years of human history.

I think you're mistaking hatred for just plain old fear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is it just fear, though? A lot of conservative social media and news presence is based on blind hatred, demonization of an other, and spite.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 10, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And to be fair, the Democrats GOTV is literally based on "my god, we cannot trust these crazy republicans with power."

Fear in and of itself is not necessarily an illegitimate motivator, particularly when those same crazy Republicans have all but explicitly confirmed they fully intend to make life incomprehensibly worse for most people if they get half a chance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but sending out emails entitled "ALL IS LOST" inspires despair and exasperation, not fear.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is basically their standard line of attack. And to be fair, the Democrats GOTV is literally based on "my god, we cannot trust these crazy republicans with power."

Yeah, but the Democrats are right so that's not really fear but more truth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

I think you're mistaking hatred for just plain old fear.

Is it just fear, though? A lot of conservative social media and news presence is based on blind hatred, demonization of an other, and spite.

Fear leads to anger, and anger to hate, young padawan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Fear, anger and outright malice are the three biggest political motivators.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but sending out emails entitled "ALL IS LOST" inspires despair and exasperation, not fear.

Learning that this is literally how the DNC is marketing itself is teaching me a lot about the last decade or so of American politics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

Man who voted for man who wanted to take away his medicaid shocked that same person will be doing just that:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/10/1448153/-Kentucky-warily-waits-to-see-what-Matt-Bevin-will-do-to-400-000-Medicaid-enrollees

Good poo poo. People voting against their own interest realizing what they did is always good.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

But it A/B tests better!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

Fear leads to anger, and anger to hate, young padawan.

Maybe if used carefully, but a nonstop barrage of "OH GOD EVERYTHING SUCKS AND IS DOOMED" makes people less likely to act, be it out of hatred or hope for change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure what you're arguing.

• Locked thread