Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
They're going to try to merge the universes together, and it's going to be a gigantic mess. You heard it here* first, everynyan. I can't loving wait to spend Clinton Funbucks on a book that mashes together Mage and Mage.

*From a certain point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have a hard time believing that they'll do that. It would be dumb in a way that I don't think paradox arts

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Dammit Who? posted:

But... that would be terrible?

*the empty laugh of a jawless skull*

You didn't think I cared about those who would have to live through it, did you?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I have a hard time believing that they'll do that. It would be dumb in a way that I don't think paradox arts

Well I don't think it will be a straight up smashing together but instead would expect something more like what you'd see in the Translation Guide of incorporating the best nwod ideas into Masquerade etc. That would be a bad artistic decision, in my opinion, because Masquerade is poo poo compared to Requiem, but it makes business sense since Masquerade is what people remember.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
They can do whatever they want with Vampire as long as I can still learn Theban Sorcery, Cruac, and Coils of the Dragon instead of VtM sorcery.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

They can do whatever they want with Vampire as long as I can still learn Theban Sorcery, Cruac, and Coils of the Dragon instead of VtM sorcery.

Thaumaturgy 2.0: Even More Paths

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Attorney at Funk posted:

*smirks tremereishly*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Be like Drac: learn all three.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prison Warden posted:

Call me crazy but I don't really see appealing to a bunch of near-dead 45 year old larpers who still work at 7/11 being a winning business strategy. I hope they are gonna keep making actually good games because every gamer I know over like 33 is so stuck in their ways they haven't bought any book made after 2003. Anecdotal of course, but there you are.
If the art students I have hung around with recently are any indication, kids these days are really big into nostalgia for a period of time they were scarcely alive for.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Be like Drac: learn all three.

Learn some of the two lovely ones and then develop the coolest set of powers in the entire gameline?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
wanna facedown the seers of the technocracy for a rigorous debate wrt solipsism versus gnosticism.

also atlantis

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Ferrinus posted:

Can't wait for an epic metaplot that Unites The Editions, fursonally.

Crisis on Infinite Draculas will finally be a reality.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Crisis on Infinite Draculas

This actually sounds cool and good

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well I don't think it will be a straight up smashing together but instead would expect something more like what you'd see in the Translation Guide of incorporating the best nwod ideas into Masquerade etc.

But requiem's best idea was not being madquerade.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm hoping they just mean something like a return of the old theme years, or a unifying metaplot for oWoD only. Fusing the two would be bad.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
The Seers did Doisetep! Wake Up Sleepels! Forces can melt Matter beams!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Let me stop you right here.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
BEAST : THE DREAMING

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Libearian posted:

:stonk:

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Crisis on Infinite Draculas will finally be a reality.

Something like this was kicked around to reboot the WoD in the first place (there are even some hooks for it in a few books) but nope: NWoD instead. That was the right choice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

God Beast is such a wasted opportunity

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Something like this was kicked around to reboot the WoD in the first place (there are even some hooks for it in a few books) but nope: NWoD instead. That was the right choice.

Definitely the right choice, but its fun to come up with wacky bullshit anyway.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

paradoxGentleman posted:

God Beast is such a wasted opportunity

I think Beast: the Primordial is very good at being the game the designer wanted it to be.

That does not make it a good game, or good continuing source of inspiration for other games.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Crisis on Infinite Draculas

New thread title?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gerund posted:

I think Beast: the Primordial is very good at being the game the designer wanted it to be.

Yeah. It was really disheartening seeing him shout down people trying to talk about concerns with the game. Dude really wanted his bad guys to be called Heroes and to be unambiguously evil.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gerund posted:

That does not make it a good game, or good continuing source of inspiration for other games.

Sad but true.

Hey, didn't some goon write a fix for that game? I think they shared it via pastebin. Does anyone have that?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Beasts are essentially tumblrkin and the Heroes are internet trolls.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sad but true.

Hey, didn't some goon write a fix for that game? I think they shared it via pastebin. Does anyone have that?

There were a few of those. Remember any details of it?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Libearian posted:

Good idea, but there should also be a way to include Changing Breeds there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Good idea, but there should also be a way to include Changing Breeds there.

BEASTIALITY: THE DREAMING

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Axelgear posted:

There were a few of those. Remember any details of it?

I'm not sure how you write a fix for Beast that isn't just an entirely new game.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

BEASTIALITY: THE DREAMING

Or just introduce a new Beast - a fox-man that represents Terror of Awkwardness.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Got your placards ready:

Just say NO to RAVNOS.

We don't WANNA no FIANNA.

SATYRS make us HATERS.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sad but true.

Gilok posted:

I'm not sure how you write a fix for Beast that isn't just an entirely new game.

I've been working on a combo errata sheet and fluff redirection for Beast, though I'm waiting for it to be released in its complete state to really knuckle under and make it public, so I can see where the rewrite went and if any of the powers changed much from the Kickstarter draft. It's partly as an exercise to hone my design abilities and partly because I feel like there's some great directions Beast could go, but it involves trimming back the fluff back to square one and building up off the aspects worth salvaging. The public parts of the rewrite seemed more in line with my original thoughts to change it, albeit very obviously a patch job, so we'll see if it needs re-rewrites (it probably will).

Here's an example of something from my notes/drafts. It could probably use a round or two of tweaks/critique (like most stuff I've got so far).

quote:

Mimir’s Wisdom [change the name?]: One of only two, maybe three powers that I think needs a total do-over rather than some tweaks. The other Anakim atavisms tell a story in line with Hopelessness and inevitability - they can chase you effortlessly, rip apart vault doors, punch cars to a halt then beat you with them, etc. etc.. They are visceral, they are dominant, they are unstoppable. This, however, means that 3/4 of their atavisms are all physically oriented with a smattering of intimidation-flavored social power, so this all but demands something like Mimir's Wisdom to fill the gap. Mimir's Wisdom seems to be an attempt to give them mental defenses, another reflection of inevitability in pursuit and awareness, but its benefits are fairly scattershot. It's defense against lies and memory tricks, but it's also rote on actions to pursue hunger, the power to sense weakness and hunger opportunities (which seems more like an Ugallu trick), a Common Sense/hunches system, and that Embed that gives you free skill points. While I get that it's tapping into the stories of Norse giants and titans (hence the name), it feels too broad and disconnected from hopelessness and fear.

So, I decided to focus heavily on that sense of inevitability, that nightmare of the monster hunting you down, that knowledge that it's only a matter of time before it finds you, no matter how clever you think you are, and no matter where you run - or hide. "Fe, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman" and all.

Normal Effect: [new fluff goes here]
• The Beast has the Eidetic Memory Merit for free.
• Any mundane attempt to deceive the Beast automatically fails. The truth is not necessarily revealed, but he knows when someone is lying to him or withholding information or when a crime scene has been tampered with to conceal evidence. Likewise, he knows when supernatural powers have been used to affect his thoughts, memories, or perceptions (though he can’t necessarily counter them at this tier).

Low Satiety: The victims of the hungry Beast soon find to their dismay that his ravenous fixation makes him nearly impossible to trick or distract. Any supernatural power attempting to directly alter or affect the Beast’s thoughts, memories, or perceptions immediately provokes a Clash of Wills (p. 222). Passive effects can be countered with Satiety expenditure, as seen below.

Satiety Expenditure: With thundering footfalls, the Beast hunts for any that would dare to hide from him. For the duration of the scene, the Beast automatically locates anyone or anything in his surroundings that have been deliberately hidden specifically from him. To qualify, the quarry must have been hidden with the hope that the Beast in particular would not find it. The Beast won’t find his manager’s safe full of blackmail material unless the manager fears the thought of him finding it, nor will he find someone hiding from other foes unless he makes her specifically fear him discovering her – perhaps through loud, ominous boasting.
This power does not inform the Beast as to the nature of his quarry. He is unable to distinguish between a hero waiting in ambush, a revealing letter, a hidden file on a server, and an armed claymore mine. He merely knows where to start looking, and what to do to find it.
The Beast automatically succeeds any uncontested roll to reach his quarry, and gains the rote quality on contested rolls to do so. This power additionally allows a Clash of Wills (p. 222) against any supernatural means of disguise, concealment, or deception except a demon’s Cover.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
When it comes to the "single World of Darkness" thing, the easy answer is to give nWoD a brand name that's not "World of Darkness", then change up some of the shared terms to make it a little more distinct or whatever.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Beasts are essentially tumblrkin and the Heroes are internet trolls.

Except in it the bigots are right, because the gaysblacksatheistsBeasts actually are literal monsters who will kidnap and torture your children.

If the awful subtext was any more blatant I think you'd get RaHoWa.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 10, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I hope Beast makes it into the new World of Darkness, because I love teaching people "lessons" by hurting and scaring them, and then telling them that it was their own fault that this happened.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tatankatonk posted:

I hope Beast makes it into the new World of Darkness, because I love teaching people "lessons" by hurting and scaring them, and then telling them that it was their own fault that this happened.

The Vox post about how GMing is just an excuse for long-term psychological abuse

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got your placards ready:

Just say NO to RAVNOS.

We don't WANNA no FIANNA.

SATYRS make us HATERS.

They cut and apologised for the IRA associations in Fianna corebook, and there's definitely a lot of rad Irish mythology to draw upon, with the different cycles and heroes. Plus with the prevalence of wolves in Irish history, various myths such as the Werewolves of Ossory, and apparently the first name Fáelad referring to werewolves of Tipperary, I'd have been kindof disappointed if there hadn't been some kind of Irish werewolf group if they were doing region-based groups.

Similarly, I'm tentatively hoping that Changeling 20th will turn out to be a revised look, since from what I've read of dreaming it distorted a lot of Irish mythology for no good reason, and there's plenty of neat stuff to work with. Less faith and begorrah would be good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Roadie posted:

When it comes to the "single World of Darkness" thing, the easy answer is to give nWoD a brand name that's not "World of Darkness", then change up some of the shared terms to make it a little more distinct or whatever.

Except in it the bigots are right, because the gaysblacksatheistsBeasts actually are literal monsters who will kidnap and torture your children.

If the awful subtext was any more blatant I think you'd get RaHoWa.

That could be awful though. I for one don't want to give up words like Gangrel, Masquerade and Humanity for synonyms that are the same but worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mendrian posted:

That could be awful though. I for one don't want to give up words like Gangrel, Masquerade and Humanity for synonyms that are the same but worse.

Ahh, the Games Workshop approach.