Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Burkion posted:

Apparently the budget of the Sci Fi era was around 1 million per episode, so even without inflation they're aiming lower than that for this iteration.

That seems really high, about the same as a TNG episode cost at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

ixnay posted:

Mike posted an update on Facebook to clarify things regarding MST3K but there's also a teaser about a future rifftrax release in there

I love how people's responses to his post are "but you'll do guest spots and Joel will be on Rifftrax as well, right?"

Rifftrax has been going for like nine years. If there was ever going to be a Joel/Mike thing it would have already happened. They obviously have different views on how to do a riffing show, as we've seen throughout the years and for whatever reason see no need in working together.

Personally I'm probably way more attached to Rifftrax today than I ever was MST3K when I was a kid. Nothing against MST3K obviously, I still love it. I just think Rifftrax has just accomplished so much more since then.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therealjon_ posted:

I love how people's responses to his post are "but you'll do guest spots and Joel will be on Rifftrax as well, right?"

Rifftrax has been going for like nine years. If there was ever going to be a Joel/Mike thing it would have already happened. They obviously have different views on how to do a riffing show, as we've seen throughout the years and for whatever reason see no need in working together.

Personally I'm probably way more attached to Rifftrax today than I ever was MST3K when I was a kid. Nothing against MST3K obviously, I still love it. I just think Rifftrax has just accomplished so much more since then.

I'm kinda this way too. I love watching MST3K but I love watching new Rifftrax stuff because it's still coming...and apparently so is The Wizard.

Also I think Mikes evolved the concept so much with Rifftrax. I mean it went from pain in the rear end sync ups to vod PD shorts and movies and now vod and non PD movies. I mean it's tremendous what he's done with his own IP and I can't blame him one bit for only wanting to soley focus on it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Yeah Rifftrax is pretty complete at this point and seemingly financially successful. I guess the good thing about Mike not being directly involved is that if it all goes to poo poo, we'll still have Rifftrax. All that being said, it would be great to see Joel pull in members of the old crew, if only for an episode.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gfanikf posted:

pain in the rear end sync ups

That reminds me...did they ever do anything with that phone app they were working on that'd play and auto-sync your track to the film?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Joel just posted this in the reddit AMA

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Mike Nelson posted:

more feature length stuff (including one of the finest films to ever feature an NES Power Glove)

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare?

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 10, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wiseblood posted:

More likely The Wizard.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

That reminds me...did they ever do anything with that phone app they were working on that'd play and auto-sync your track to the film?

I know it was a beta at some point...but no not really. I have android stuff so I've only heard some really peripheral mentions of it.

Man I remember trying to create custom discs and having the audio be slightly out of sync....or the rifftrax player before chromecast....bleh.

I wonder how many people would just buy the audio and grabbed a :filez: presynced one, never touching the audio file itself.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

gfanikf posted:

I wonder how many people would just buy the audio and grabbed a :filez: presynced one, never touching the audio file itself.

I did this quite a bit. I was always curious if they ever looked over my user account and saw I had almost every single mp3 riff, but never downloaded them once.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therealjon_ posted:

I did this quite a bit. I was always curious if they ever looked over my user account and saw I had almost every single mp3 riff, but never downloaded them once.

Yeah, I've wondered if they ever do that and get a good laugh since they're not getting the short end of the stick there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

gfanikf posted:

Man I remember trying to create custom discs and having the audio be slightly out of sync....

I created custom discs for every single movie (so far). A couple gave me problems due to the way the original discs were authored, but there was always a way around it.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I tweeted to Mary Jo and asked her if she saw any money from the MST3K sales on Rifftrax, and she replied with "No. Not on account of RiffTrax but because Jim Mallon/Best Brains in the first place."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good news then!

Shout Factory now owns MST3K, which is one reason why this is happening. So Jim is almost completely just removed from the project. Won't solve any of the shittiness of the past but should help ease worries about the future.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How was Jim lovely in the past?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

RandomPauI posted:

Somebody's going to give you a more detailed breakdown soon, but I'll just point out real quick that of course Jim Mallon is not involved because Hell will freeze over before Joel ever works with him again in any professional capacity.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I understand what Joel is going for with the new cast idea, but Murphy's Servo is my favorite thing and will be hard to replace.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Bill just tweeted that he, too, is not involved with this either. To be honest, I didn't like almost anything of the Joel years anyway (though that may be because my intro was the Mike/Bill/Kevin years), so I'm kinda glad this doesn't affect Rifftrax in any way. Rifftrax is hitting such a creative stride these past couple years that I really don't want anything to go wrong, and the dynamic is great as-is. Hope Joel can put food on the table but this isnt gonna stay on my radar at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Trace also said that there's no chance he'll even make a cameo, and his wording made it seem like he wasn't too thrilled with this at all. I wonder if there's some behind the scenes stuff that's putting off most of the old crew.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

The big thing is that he was responsible for Joel quitting in the first place as their working relationship became so toxic that Joel has said he either had to quit or the show was going to end.

When the show was canceled he raided the prop room selling off everything without consulting anyone else.

He tried to cash in on fans goodwill by creating a crappy animated web series about the bots, with none of the original actors.

Probably the most telling is how with the various side projects nobody has wanted to work with him again.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The big thing is that he was responsible for Joel quitting in the first place as their working relationship became so toxic that Joel has said he either had to quit or the show was going to end.

When the show was canceled he raided the prop room selling off everything without consulting anyone else.

He tried to cash in on fans goodwill by creating a crappy animated web series about the bots, with none of the original actors.

Probably the most telling is how with the various side projects nobody has wanted to work with him again.

Frank and Trace essentially left because they would never, EVER profit off of the show outside of their initial paychecks. The way they've framed the discussion in the passing decades makes it sound like there was an attempt for everyone to get a piece of the pie, but Jim wouldn't budge.

I also thought it was INCREDIBLY poor taste for Jim to essentially sell every scrap of the show, piece-by-piece (including the sets!) back in 2000(ish). I realize he couldn't store that stuff forever, but it felt extremely opportunistic at the time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bobservo posted:

Frank and Trace essentially left because they would never, EVER profit off of the show outside of their initial paychecks.

I can only go by the retrospective that Wired did last year, but in that, Frank contends that he never had any ill-will over the lack of residuals, since it was his first job. I'm assuming that the problem was, well, everything else. Realizing that anything he created under Best Brains was going to be owned by Jim Mallon.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

bobservo posted:

Frank and Trace essentially left because they would never, EVER profit off of the show outside of their initial paychecks. The way they've framed the discussion in the passing decades makes it sound like there was an attempt for everyone to get a piece of the pie, but Jim wouldn't budge.

I also thought it was INCREDIBLY poor taste for Jim to essentially sell every scrap of the show, piece-by-piece (including the sets!) back in 2000(ish). I realize he couldn't store that stuff forever, but it felt extremely opportunistic at the time.

Mike said in an interview that Mallon almost sold off a hat he left in the office

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Burkion posted:

Apparently the budget of the Sci Fi era was around 1 million per episode

Do you have a citation for this, because that sounds absurdly high for a show that looks like it was filmed in someone's garage.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'd be more excited about new MST3K if they were going to film it in Minneapolis. Filming it in LA just seems wrong to me.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I'd be more excited about new MST3K if they were going to film it in Minneapolis. Filming it in LA just seems wrong to me.

Source? I haven't seen anything about LA but I might have missed something in the AMA.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Do you have a citation for this, because that sounds absurdly high for a show that looks like it was filmed in someone's garage.

I'd imagine a big chunk goes to acquiring film rights.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

brucio posted:

Source? I haven't seen anything about LA but I might have missed something in the AMA.

The AMA said that filming would occur in LA, but indicated that the writing team wouldn't all necessarily be located there.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I took the advice from today's mailer and picked up McBain for the Veteran's Day sale.

Best $8.50 I've ever spent. The guys are having a BLAST with this movie; why wouldn't they? It's cheesy and terrible in all the best ways.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

raditts posted:

Movie rights are expensive, and got prohibitively more so as time went on, when the rights holders to even the shittiest of movies realized they could make some dough just by letting guys in Minnesota make fun of their terrible films. There are probably some exceptions here and there (I believe the "Time Chasers" and "Hobgoblins" people let MST3K have the movies for cheap because they were desperate for exposure and/or fans of the show, for example), but for the most part, rights holders were more than willing to try and bend Best Brains and the networks over a barrel if they could squeeze a few extra bucks out of them for their crappy movies.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Bottom line: Public Domain films worked best. And sometimes resulted in all-time best episodes.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

I better still get my bonus for recommending that last year on that poll site

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I still hope they do "I Know Who Killed Me" some day, that movie deserves it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

raditts posted:

I still hope they do "I Know Who Killed Me" some day, that movie deserves it.

I want them to do Blade Runner.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wizard page is up on the site: http://www.rifftrax.com/the-wizard

Got excited for a second it was up now, but it's a preorder for next Friday.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The new National Geographic Man vs Monster episode is up for kickstarter backers now

edit: Apparently for everyone if you didn't back the kickstarter and want to buy it

http://www.rifftrax.com/total-riff-off-episode-6-brazilian-bigfoot

ixnay fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So seriously, Richard Terry is an insane person, right? Because that is the only reason he would ask if anteaters could stand on their hind legs and attack people.

Well, that and he's a collossal jackass.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ixnay posted:

The new National Geographic Man vs Monster episode is up for kickstarter backers now

edit: Apparently for everyone if you didn't back the kickstarter and want to buy it

http://www.rifftrax.com/total-riff-off-episode-6-brazilian-bigfoot

The riffs on these have been pretty good, but the shows themselves are just awful like most "reality" shows of this nature.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

For real. I bought the first 3 on sale as a set without watching any previews, figuring it'd be a riff on some chill David Attenborough-style nature series. I could barely make it through them. I got the sense they really held back the teeth and claws due to contract obligations or something because those shows were so insultingly stupid they could've torn them apart for days, but the riffs felt super light. Maybe I'm just cross because I thought a treatment of weird documentary clips would work well, but got bottom-barrel reality tv instead.

Maybe the later ones are better because there's no pretending that everyone's not just making a show for the camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...do you guys not watch these because the subject matter is so bad?

• Locked thread