Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

The eye watermark just indicates Horus Heresy, but some characters have a special rule that specifically limits them to traitor or loyalist armies. This will never matter and can probably always be ignored. :v:

Not that watermark, there's a different one (at least in the red armylist books, don't know about the black.) Loyalists have an aquila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

Eh... every primarch gets hyped up, and Khan says himself in Scars that his only particular strength versus other primarchs is that none of them have ever seen him fight and so don't know what to expect. I'd expect him to be very hit-and-run oriented.

I really, really don't think they're going to release rules for the Emperor unless they're "You lose."

Yeah they will. You go back less than 5 years and you'd have said that about Primarchs too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm just excited to watch Stanyer69 loose every single combat against Panascope.

Thinking about switching to space wolves so I can always beat Hixson.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah they will. You go back less than 5 years and you'd have said that about Primarchs too.

Nah, once the Horus Heresy books started rolling out I figured it was only a matter of time until rules started appearing in some form for the Legions and Primarchs.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Even then...

:shepspends:

Okay, kind of not feeling the Iron Hands, going to look at Death Guard. Thinking I might be light on anti-tank here, maybe swap something out for some Rapier batteries? Again, trying to use the most out of the Calth box:

+++ Death Guard - 2k (1985pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1985pts) ++

+ HQ (685pts) +

Calas Typhon (420pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators, Rad Grenades]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]
····Consul [Legion Champion]

+ Troops (540pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Chem-munitions, Furious Charge, Melta Gun, Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Chem-munitions, Furious Charge, Melta Gun, Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (320pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (440pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (220pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator, Heavy Flamer with Chem-munitions]
····Chem-master [Rad Grenades]

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Started reading False Gods, interested to see how Horus, after seeing the poo poo going on on the moon, decides "yep this is my cup of tea".

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

Started reading False Gods,

No don't

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm enjoying it so far, same feel to it as Rising.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Started reading False Gods, interested to see how Horus, after seeing the poo poo going on on the moon, decides "yep this is my cup of tea".

No don'tttttt

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ijyt posted:

Blame Lorgar.

No, seriously, blame Lorgar.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ijyt also enjoyed battle of the abyss

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Then blame Erebus, because he's a huge Dick and it's literally all his fault.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know what that is but probably.

And yeah Erebus seems like a right lil' oval office.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Still kind of want to paint grey word bearers though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I hear the Calth sprues come with weapon options that aren't rules-legal in Horus Heresy. Any chance of there being enough of them to make a mini-heavy weapon squad or something?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So here's my fist attempt at using most of the Calth models for a Word Bearers army with some :unsmigghh: Chaos Daemons :unsmigghh:

Rite of War: The Dark Brethren

HQ:
Legion Centurion 50pts (122pts)
++Burning Lore 30pts
++Combi-melta 7pts
++Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon 35pts

Legion Centurion 50pts (135pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++Burning Lore 30pts
++Charnal Blade 10pts
++Diabolist 35pts

Elites:
Apothecarion Detachment
Legion Apothecary 45pts (60pts)
++Augury Scanner 5pts
++Artificer Armor 10pts
Legion Apothecary 45pts (60pts)
++Augury Scanner 5pts
++Artificer Armor 10pts

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren 200pts (205pts)
++Artificer Armour 5pts
++Tainted Weapon 10pts

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon 175pts
++Multi-melta

Troops:
Legion Tactical Squad 150pts (225pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++5x Legion Space Marines 50pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Power Weapon 10pts

Legion Tactical Squad 150pts (225pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++5x Legion Space Marines 50pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Power Weapon 10pts

Allied Detachment (Chaos Daemons)

HQ:
Daemon Prince 145pts (230pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Greater Gift of Chaos 20pts
++Greater Gift of Chaos 20pts
++Wings 30pts

Troops:
19x Bloodletters of Khorne 190pts (195pts)
++Bloodreaper 5pts
18x Bloodletters of Khorne 180pts (185pts)
++Bloodreaper 5pts

Heavy Support:
Soulgrinder 140pts (180pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Phlegm Bombardment 25pts

Total Points: 1997pts

It's a giant foot-slogging list with a TON of AP3 weapons to put the fear of Daemons into all involved. It's not entirely optimized, mostly to use the sweet character models out of the box and I skipped the Terminators because I ran out of Elite slots. It's my first time really starting to read through the HH books and get my head around the new unit options. Thoughts?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 10, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

The book that made GW sack an author.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So I hear the Calth sprues come with weapon options that aren't rules-legal in Horus Heresy. Any chance of there being enough of them to make a mini-heavy weapon squad or something?

They are on Veteran Tactical squads, which can take two special/heavy weapons in a ten man squad.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Don't have a chance to look into the details, but at 2k points it's now possible to encounter Baby's First Lord of War, the Typhon, bane of footslogger lists.
You might want to look into other options for dealing with it and other tough vehicles, but otherwise it looks quite alright. You might benefit from juggling points around and fielding Zardu Layak eventually, since he's fantastic with Gal Vorbak.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I just got the part with Eugan Temba and I'm even more confused about how Horus falls after dealing with that poo poo.

I mean come on he literally spelled it out for you, gently caress.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Heres my loyalist 2k army list. Critique please.

Armillus Dymat 200

19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 290
19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 290
4 Tactical Support Marines: volkite calivers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 125

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180
4 Lernaean Terminators: + 1 Harrower 225
2 Rapier Carriers: 2× quad mortar ('Thud Gun') 120

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer: armoured ceramite 210
Fire Raptor Gunship 200
Sicaran Battle Tank: armoured ceramite 155

1.995 points

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

So I just got the part with Eugan Temba and I'm even more confused about how Horus falls after dealing with that poo poo.

I mean come on he literally spelled it out for you, gently caress.

Because its badly written garbage where Horus goes from a loyal, incredibly intelligent warrior to evil supervillain in about 12 pages.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Battle for the Abyss owns because in Betrayer Aaron Dembski-Bowden has a throwaway line talking poo poo about how dumb the people involved in it were.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

serious gaylord posted:

The book that made GW sack an author.

No way. Battle of the Abyss was poo poo, but it was also far better than anything written by Nick Kyme

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

panascope posted:

Battle for the Abyss owns because in Betrayer Aaron Dembski-Bowden has a throwaway line talking poo poo about how dumb the people involved in it were.

Also there's a bit Mark of Calth where Lorgar is like, "it would be so stupid to only make one super huge spaceship. I made more than one, just in different places"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

No way. Battle of the Abyss was poo poo, but it was also far better than anything written by Nick Kyme

I got in like 10 pages into one of his HH Salamander books and vowed to never read another of his books again.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

panascope posted:

All I remember about that book is the Word Bearers going :smug: "We've got loads of armour on our battleship, nothing can break" - something breaks - :shepface: "gently caress"

Also, somehow the World Eater was the only sensible character in the book.

E: actually, I'm pretty sure that's the book that killed HH for me. Is anything else that's come out after it been worth reading?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ro5s posted:

E: actually, I'm pretty sure that's the book that killed HH for me. Is anything else that's come out after it been worth reading?

Betrayer is real good. Nothing else is worth reading though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

They are on Veteran Tactical squads, which can take two special/heavy weapons in a ten man squad.

Ah, that makes sense. Any weapon combos worth having, then?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Any weapon combos worth having, then?

You can select tank hunters and 2 missile launchers/2 melta guns.

You'll run across armoured ceramite sometimes, especially on things like Land Raiders and bigger, but it'll give dreads and rhinos a poo poo time, and it's still strength 9.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

boom boom boom posted:

Yes way. Ben Counter was up his own arse so much that he refused to make suggested changes so they were left with the choice to release it after editing, ghost write the changes, or not release it at all. He was such a bellend about it that he didnt write another novel for Black Library for 5 years and was kicked off the Heresy for good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

I don't know what that is but probably.

I can some it up in one quote. "It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition"

Edit: Warhammer 30k - Random acts of Xenos contrition.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You dudes who aren't playing Iron Warriors or Word Bearers should probably get in the habit of taking vexillas on your tactical squads. You'll thank me later.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Where did you hear that? It all depends on how your run the squads. Tactical Squads can't take special weapons, its true, but if you run them as veterans tacticals you sure as hell can. Dual melta, dual plasma, missile launchers, or heavy bolters are all attractive options.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

You dudes who aren't playing Iron Warriors or Word Bearers should probably get in the habit of taking vexillas on your tactical squads. You'll thank me later.

Where did you hear that? It all depends on how your run the squads. Tactical Squads can't take special weapons, its true, but if you run them as veterans tacticals you sure as hell can. Dual melta, dual plasma, missile launchers, or heavy bolters are all attractive options.

I presume my source didn't know about veteran tac squads and was running on the bolter-only basic squad. Good to know. I presume there's not enough to do a heavy or special squad, though, even if you get two boxes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah and not enough for a full tactical support squad either, but most people won't run x10 melta gunners of x10 plasma dudes unless their army is built around it. Honestly I wish more people read through the army list. There are a lot of options in there and you need to know what your basic troop options are.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can some it up in one quote. "It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition"

Edit: Warhammer 30k - Random acts of Xenos contrition.

Warhammer 30k: Big muscly dudes stamping the faces of muscly dudes- forever

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

To be honest, I've always felt the idea that Forge World was a means of cranking out expensive and overpowered models has always been a bit of a myth. There may have been some truth when they just made Titans and Superheavies, since they're kinda overpowered by design, but since they've moved onto Horus Heresy and producing their own campaign books their rules tend to be more side-grades and alternatives to GW's stuff. TBH the sooner the myth dies the better, it'd be nice to be able to use my Contemptors or my Taghamata without being accused of being a filthy neckbearded power-gamer.

Yeah - when I think of FW it's still mostly the Manta, Titans, expensive terrain pieces, etc. But I see that they have a lot of upgrade spures for HH stuff.
I also don't think you have to use FW to be a filthy neckbearded power-gamer, it's easy enough to do with the basic rules.

BULBASAUR posted:

From my perspective:
  • Only troops score. Dedicated transports do not have obsec and allies cannot ride in each other's transports.
  • No unbound, no formations, no multiple army detachments, no tactical objective cards, and only battle bros confer any benefits.
  • 6 core missions unique to the setting. They favor midfield engagements with a lower emphasis on mobility and more on attrition over time.
  • Melee is a bigger part of 30k. Despite how 7th edition favors shooting, assault happens often due to the number of models involved, the mission types, and how resistant marines are in general.
Those things combined make it a different kind of game than 40k. It feels more 'balanced' despite the crazy amount of options each army has. Also it's not a clusterfuck, unlike 40k.

This is more what I was interested in. It sounds more like 5th or early 6th ed.

So my next question is, does the balance feel like it's there by design or more by happen stance since the majority of models are using the same basic profile? I think by it's nature of marine on marine action it would be significantly easier to balance than when you start including t3 races and so on.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It would be nice to hear from other people who have played besides myself.

From my own experience, it feels deliberate, but it's definitely aided by everyone being on a level playing field (so to speak). Really broken things tend to get quickly FAQed and most benefits have drawbacks. You have very mediocre or over costed units however and the core game is still based on 7th edition.

The biggest upset for me is that they allowed the Cerastus Knight army list to be part of 30k. Most events ban it outright, but as it stands its probably the dumbest thing in the entire game.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sir Teabag posted:

So my next question is, does the balance feel like it's there by design or more by happen stance since the majority of models are using the same basic profile? I think by it's nature of marine on marine action it would be significantly easier to balance than when you start including t3 races and so on.

In my experience balance feels a lot better tuned than 40k for certain, I've only played a few games now personally but nothing feels particularly foul or unfun to go up against. Marines are Marines, Mechanicum is hard as nails but run comparatively tiny armies, Solar Auxillia have all the tanks and play like a better armoured/equipped Guard.

BULBASAUR posted:

The biggest upset for me is that they allowed the Cerastus Knight army list to be part of 30k. Most events ban it outright, but as it stands its probably the dumbest thing in the entire game.

Is it really that bad? I've played a few pure Knights armies in regular 40k, usually pointing enough Melta and Haywire at them while nabbing objectives under their feet is enough to grab a victory from them, though I must admit the two guys local who have the spare cash to run Knight armies are also dumb as rocks. Do the extra Knight varients make that much impact?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm running World Eaters and plan on two (eventually three) large tactical squad blobs. I anticipate heavy casualties, because the only thing I can fit tac squads that large into are spartans and fire raptors-- so the vexilla and its attendant re-roll are handy

So is a legion command squad with standard-- the 12" fearless bubble is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any reason not to run Mk3 shoulders on the Mk4 armour? Mk3 shoulders look better to me.