Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Historically speaking, campaigns based on fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency were once very successful, although devotion to the Pope has gone way downhill recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I mean, Barack Obama should be the number 1 example that running a campaign of fear-mongering isn't the best way to motivate at least the segments of the population that vote for Democrats.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good poo poo. People voting against their own interest realizing what they did is always good.

Except this guy (and many others like him) are probably not gonna live until the next election, so....

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Fear campaigns are bad motivators unless they can inspire other emotions, and nonstop fear-mongering is (according to people that do this for a living) a really bad way to go about starting a movement.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lotka Volterra posted:

Fear campaigns are bad motivators unless they can inspire other emotions, and nonstop fear-mongering is (according to people that do this for a living) a really bad way to go about starting a movement.

the Tea Party?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

haveblue posted:

Historically speaking, campaigns based on fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency were once very successful, although devotion to the Pope has gone way downhill recently.

Now I'd only we had access to nice red uniforms...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

History does not bear this out.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

History does not bear this out.

Doesn't it?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

the Tea Party?

I feel like there's a pretty big but subtle difference between fear and anger. It seems to me Tea Party is a lot more anger than fear.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:qq: of the day, “I’m not some weirdo that’s out here just kinda running crazy, I’m the former governor of the state of Virginia. I’m the former chairman of the Republican National Committee. I am world traveled, I not only have the credentials of being the chief executive of a state but I have deep foreign policy credentials. I am a United States army veteran. I was the governor during the 9/11 attack when the pentagon was struck. I have the credentials to deal with foreign policy issues that the other former governors simply don’t have. So I have a right to come out here to tell the people of New Hampshire they ought to be supporting me and to campaign for it.” ~ Jim Gilmore

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lemming posted:

I feel like there's a pretty big but subtle difference between fear and anger. It seems to me Tea Party is a lot more anger than fear.

Now it definitely is but maybe when it first started off it was a better mix of the two. They "feared" what Obama would hypothetically do and were "angered" by it. Now it's just anger at everybody. One definitely led to another, but I agree that there is a difference between the two.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

:qq: of the day, “I’m not some weirdo that’s out here just kinda running crazy, I’m the former governor of the state of Virginia. I’m the former chairman of the Republican National Committee. I am world traveled, I not only have the credentials of being the chief executive of a state but I have deep foreign policy credentials. I am a United States army veteran. I was the governor during the 9/11 attack when the pentagon was struck. I have the credentials to deal with foreign policy issues that the other former governors simply don’t have. So I have a right to come out here to tell the people of New Hampshire they ought to be supporting me and to campaign for it.” ~ Jim Gilmore

He is correct that he has a right to campaign for president. He just doesn't have an inalienable right to be popular while doing so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zombie Samurai posted:

I really love the way Trump responds to things.

"What are we talking about? I have the best one. It made a million dollars. Everyone loves it. I don't care about it anymore. Is it bothering you? We'll do it your way. Make America Great Again."

It's mesmerizing.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

I’m the former governor of the state of Virginia

You'd think he'd have learned to say commonwealth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

I mean, Barack Obama should be the number 1 example that running a campaign of fear-mongering isn't the best way to motivate at least the segments of the population that vote for Democrats.

You're right, it's easier to motivate using hate rather than fear. Obama just got the freebie of GWB to gin up more hate than his campaign ever could.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

Well thank god, it's about time we had some hysterical overblown fear about peanuts in this country.

Well the movie did just come out so it's perfectly timed!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Joementum posted:

if only there existed some place for unpopular presidential candidates where they could voice their opinions and people could actually hear it. some sort of safe space...perhaps in one of the nation's many fine universities!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you've ever wondered what people in Vermont are like, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyIYYFbpOs

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Clicked, was relieved to not recognize the old woman from the NEK.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joementum posted:

God bless.

Does everyone call it "the northeast kingdom?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Carrasco posted:

God bless.

The NEK is a region in Vermont composed of Orleans, Essex, and Caledonia counties that is the most rural and generally poorest part of the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

suckin dick
bought this office

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Here's what I don't understand about "voting against your interests." How come you want poor people to vote for candidates who will help them economically, but then you get mad when people vote against the expansion of civil rights to include groups that make people uncomfortable? Isn't it in my own interest to be comfortable? So shouldn't I vote that way?

Clearly if everyone voted for their economic interest, the "99%" (as nebulous as that term is) would make big gains. But some people value their social interest in preserving their way of life over their economic interest in material goods. Why is this a bad thing?

By the way, I'm not a poor and I don't value social interests over economic interests. But if I were to vote for my economic interest, I get called a "selfish" "rear end in a top hat!" What!!

Anyhoo, that's my take. Cheers! :)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Carrasco posted:

God bless.

Among Vermonters, yes. It also contains what little remains of Old Republican* Vermont, which you might well have already guessed since Joe already said it's the poorest, most rural part of the state (two reasons why I don't go home all that often).

*There are still some "TAKE BACK VERMONT" signs to be seen outside there on the sides of mostly-fallen-in barns, a relic of the rather feckless reaction to the passage of Civil Union legislation back in 2000.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Milk Malk posted:

Here's what I don't understand about "voting against your interests." How come you want poor people to vote for candidates who will help them economically, but then you get mad when people vote against the expansion of civil rights to include groups that make people uncomfortable? Isn't it in my own interest to be comfortable? So shouldn't I vote that way?

Clearly if everyone voted for their economic interest, the "99%" (as nebulous as that term is) would make big gains. But some people value their social interest in preserving their way of life over their economic interest in material goods. Why is this a bad thing?

By the way, I'm not a poor and I don't value social interests over economic interests. But if I were to vote for my economic interest, I get called a "selfish" "rear end in a top hat!" What!!

Because groups you irrationally hate receiving the same rights you already enjoy does not effect you in any real way.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Because groups you irrationally hate receiving the same rights you already enjoy does not effect you in any real way.

It impacts your ability to get better treatment and opportunity at their expense....

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Talmonis posted:

Whoa there, that's a pretty strong assumption you're making. Are you telling me that, in a hypothetical situation where I was irrationally afraid of a certain group, seeing a member of said group looking threatening, that doesn't effect me? Or is that just not real?

And who said this feeling is irrational? I think it's very rational to be wary around say criminals, for example. Like sex offenders or felons. Sure, I bet some of them are "reformed", but rates of recidivism are awfully high.

Besides, it's a highly individual thing. What's so wrong about voting against something that makes you uncomfortable (whatever that thing may be)?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

zoux posted:

suckin dick
bought this office

Okay, you know what you do? You buy yourself a tape recorder, you just record yourself for a whole day...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope the first George Bush's oral diaries he made on a tape recorder through out his presidency get released in full to the public. I just heard about them in a interview between his son and John Mitchum.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Milk Malk posted:

Besides, it's a highly individual thing. What's so wrong about voting against something that makes you uncomfortable (whatever that thing may be)?

It'd be in my best interests to kill my neighbor and take his poo poo (if I could get away with it), but that's obviously wrong and also not something I would want to do even if I could. Just because we want people to vote for their own self interests doesn't mean that we expect them to do so in a way that's hateful and harmful.

Coincidentally, this also answers your question as to why the wealthy aggressively pursuing their own economic self interests is something a lot of people consider unacceptable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

It'd be in my best interests to kill my neighbor and take his poo poo (if I could get away with it), but that's obviously wrong and also not something I would want to do even if I could. Just because we want people to vote for their own self interests doesn't mean that we expect them to do so in a way that's hateful and harmful.

So then the problem isn't "those idiots are voting against their self interests" but "they're voting for their self interests in a way I don't like".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Carson's poll numbers plummeted. What the hell happened? No way those "scandals" over the weekend could have effected him this much.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milk Malk posted:

Because "feeling comfortable" can't be qualified and thus shouldn't be used as a measure of anything. "Losing your healthcare" is quantifiable: you have healthcare, then you don't.. Same with things such as civil rights, worker's rights, etc etc. You shouldn't make rules for everyone based on the intangible.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

So then the problem isn't "those idiots are voting against their self interests" but "they're voting for their self interests in a way I don't like".

I never said otherwise, so... yes? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. We generally don't expect people to act in a way that's self-interested to the detriment of others, and plenty of laws exist to discourage exactly that kind of behavior. I'm not sure why I should be okay with people who vote to harm themselves (and other people in the same situation) just because they think there's another group that they're going to hurt even more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Carson's poll numbers plummeted. What the hell happened? No way those "scandals" over the weekend could have effected him this much.

Link?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Milk Malk posted:

Whoa there, that's a pretty strong assumption you're making. Are you telling me that, in a hypothetical situation where I was irrationally afraid of a certain group, seeing a member of said group looking threatening, that doesn't effect me? Or is that just not real?

And who said this feeling is irrational? I think it's very rational to be wary around say criminals, for example. Like sex offenders or felons. Sure, I bet some of them are "reformed", but rates of recidivism are awfully high.

Weighing one group's basic human rights and the ability to exist in society against another's mild annoyance or discomfort isn't very proportional. For example I think religious fundies are odd but I also realize that throwing them in jail like they want to do to gays and heathens like me would be a bad thing to do and would require a sociopathic disregard for others rights and autonomy.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 10, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

even the most religious and conservative and distrustful of the liberal media republican voter still thinks that calling the pyramids granaries is so loving dumb that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any power at all

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Milk Malk posted:

Maybe because even if you're a priori not poor, voting republican is very likely not in your best economic interests.
Funny how that works

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

It's more that one of the polls showing him up with Trump was a bit of an outlier.

• Locked thread