Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQLMXyGQOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

that's just godawful.

here's some that ain't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QQKyIVVzvg

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Grand Prize Winner posted:

that's just godawful.

here's some that ain't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QQKyIVVzvg

I'm pretty sure one is the equivalent of throwing a brick through a Starbucks window and the other is the equivalent of the bad part of a mushroom trip, but I did enjoy this Google Translated post in response to the latter:

"Friends. I do not know Spanish. I do not know Portuguese. I'm writing text using a translator. It's a stupid song. I do not understand the meaning of the song. Translation - capital. On one hand, Engels. On one side , Karl Marx . The video shows President Veresuely , president of Cuba , President of Belarus. In Russia , Belarus and Ukraine have good musicians. This musician is known as a clown. In Lapis songs - he makes a travesty. I do not know why he did it . Liapis heard in his youth. First time I hear this song. Lapis wanted money , I think. It is a bad musician . We love the Spanish guitar , rock , song of the Cossacks. Lapis - this is not the culture of Russia, not the culture of Belarus. Thank you"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

TheMammoth posted:

I'm pretty sure one is the equivalent of throwing a brick through a Starbucks window and the other is the equivalent of the bad part of a mushroom trip, but I did enjoy this Google Translated post in response to the latter:

"Friends. I do not know Spanish. I do not know Portuguese. I'm writing text using a translator. It's a stupid song. I do not understand the meaning of the song. Translation - capital. On one hand, Engels. On one side , Karl Marx . The video shows President Veresuely , president of Cuba , President of Belarus. In Russia , Belarus and Ukraine have good musicians. This musician is known as a clown. In Lapis songs - he makes a travesty. I do not know why he did it . Liapis heard in his youth. First time I hear this song. Lapis wanted money , I think. It is a bad musician . We love the Spanish guitar , rock , song of the Cossacks. Lapis - this is not the culture of Russia, not the culture of Belarus. Thank you"

typical cuckinist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qp3Oxe0GMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WmyfjDIJc

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Every song on that album rules and sounds different, but plainly fits together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpLI5jeBQ4

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Laaaaadies?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MReV9dkAVhY

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Grand Prize Winner posted:

typical cuckinist

ahahaha

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you've got 40 minutes to kill you can check out Libra, an obscure but influential Carter-era libertarian space fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfY4djdAW_s

Featuring
- Lo Pan as Friedrich Hayek
- Uncle Phil as Milton Friedman
- Cornfed Pig as Wesley Mouch Ted Kennedy

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 10, 2015

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Gazpacho posted:

if you've got 40 minutes to kill you can check out Libra, an obscure but influential Carter-era libertarian space fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfY4djdAW_s

Featuring
- Lo Pan as Friedrich Hayek
- Uncle Phil as Milton Friedman
- Cornfed Pig as Wesley Mouch

Is that Knight Rider's Bonnie at the 7:08 mark?!

edit: pic:

Koschei
Sep 14, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
Can anyone recommend me a book on Canadian history that deals with the history of Canada in the same way that Howard Zinn confronts American history in "A Peoples History of the United States"?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 11, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat these are fantastic. Thanks

Koschei posted:

Can anyone recommend me a book on Canadian history that deals with the history of Canada in the same way that Howard Zinn confronts American history in "A Peoples History of the United States"?

I don't know of any but if there is one I'd like to read it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 11, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lix-ajZ4Sk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzRY1xnXpU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...thorName=twoday

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Koschei posted:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We really need youtube previews here; I skip youtube links almost all the time because they're blind clicks and 90% of them are stupid (sorry guys). But, through some divine provenance, I did click on this one, and my life is better for it.

Then I clicked on two more youtube links and they were useless trash, as usual.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mellow Seas posted:

We really need youtube previews here; I skip youtube links almost all the time because they're blind clicks and 90% of them are stupid (sorry guys). But, through some divine provenance, I did click on this one, and my life is better for it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

For a second there I thought the frontman for Fugazi and Minor Threat was writing history about the Canadian left.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You are a good man. E: Person. But probably man. The best Your Dad, anyway.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

If you use Chrome I use the Video Title Adder. It makes Youtube links look like this:

when you hover over them.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Mellow Seas posted:

That's actually an option, bruh

any way ummm

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

https://www.thefire.org/mizzou-professor-demands-muscle-to-remove-student-journalists-police-claim-hurtful-speech-can-be-punished/ posted:

The most troubling incident in the recording, starting at the 7:12 mark, occurred when Schierbecker approached Assistant Professor of Communications Melissa Click inside the ring of protesters. He explained that he was a journalist and that he wished to speak with her. She immediately demanded he leave and appeared to grab his camera. (Speaking of things protesters do not have a right to do, that is one of them.)

Schierbecker, acting within his rights, refused to leave. Click alarmingly responded by yelling, “Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here? I need some muscle over here. Help me get him out.” That Click’s demand for protesters to use force on a student journalist is fundamentally illiberal cannot be stated strongly enough. It’s one thing to incorrectly claim that journalists, often the greatest check against violence committed against protesters, cannot be in a public space. It’s another thing entirely for her to believe she has a right to use force to remove them.

As students surrounded him, Schierbecker again reiterated that protesters cannot force him to leave public space. Click mockingly replied, “Yeah that’s a really good one, I’m a communications faculty and I really get that argument but you need to go. You need to go.” She’s right about one thing, at least: Schierbecker’s argument is a really good one. It’s an argument that one might expect a professor of communications to respect. Apparently, members of Mizzou’s School of Journalism agree. The Columbia Missourian reports today that faculty began voting to remove Click from her courtesy appointment in the School of Journalism. She will retain her position in the university’s Department of Communication.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't really understand, what is the protest about, and why does the journalist and professor have an argument about them being there?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Josef bugman posted:

I don't really understand, what is the protest about, and why does the journalist and professor have an argument about them being there?

The school said "when picking Halloween costumes. think about what's offensive and avoid it." The professor said "don't let other people tell you what's offensive, we're all adults here, use your brains." The students said "my feelings determine what is offensive, shut up." And then things got even more stupid. The letter from the professor is actually really well written, but the only copy I have lives on reddit, and that's a horrible thing.

Speaking of horrible things in horrible places on the internet,

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Josef bugman posted:

why does the journalist and professor have an argument about them being there?

Protesters (the teacher in the picture in particular) objected to the press being present. Reporter was in his right to be there and to document proceedings. Only way to get their way was to physically eject the reporters. Clown loving shoes.

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
Actually the halloween thing is the protests at Yale, which were the ones generating the massive mockery.

Mizzou is about the black football players demanding the resignation of the president of the university for a number of racist incidents. The coach and athletic directors lent their support to the protests and he resigned.

They're both an example of college students thinking that colleges have a responsibility to respect their feelings and desire to have a "safe space", and whether that is more important than first amendment rights. It's easy to mock them for being ridiculous, so it's being passed around as an example of colleges being silly left wing institutions where fee-fees are more important than actual learning. I donno, I went to a small liberal arts college and people would protest basically anything, because they're young and free from parents and all those other things.

There have been a few articles basically suggesting the students feel betrayed because they were promised the world in brochures and in reality these schools are huge, and they don't feel like they have advocates among the faculty. Is it stupid? Probably. Did the very vocal and loud people in those videos cross the line and basically invalidate their arguments by their actions? Probably.

Also important to note that they're not actually huge protests.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In addition to the repercussions against John Carlos and Tommie Smith’s gesture, Peter Norman (the white Australian) was shunned by the Australian Olympics Board and effectively erased from Australian Olympic history simply for wearing an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge and refusing to condemn their gesture or tell the press that they'd ruined his ceremony.
http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/the-white-man-in-that-photo/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Eglamore posted:

Actually the halloween thing is the protests at Yale, which were the ones generating the massive mockery.

My bad, it's been a confusing week for college protests and how insane/justified they might be.

More about what's going on at Yale

• Locked thread