Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prometheus is absolutely a prequel to Alien. It's literally the origin story of everything in that movie.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Steve2911 posted:

Prometheus us absolutely a prequel to Alien. It's literally the origin story of everything in that movie.

It sort of isn't though. Nothing in Prometheus really directly relates to Alien. I guess it makes the corporation aware that the "engineers" exist, and perhaps that's why they were so adamant that the crew investigate the signal. But does Prometheus add anything to Alien? Does it answer any questions or provide any insight?

It's in the same universe and involves the same corporation and probably some of the same aliens but that's about it. If nothing in Prometheus happened, if the Nostromo was the first human ship to ever find an engineer ship, nothing would have played out any differently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the reason why movies today suck.

You've yet to make a single meaningful post in the entire thread. Keep the one-liners coming though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

It sort of isn't though. Nothing in Prometheus really directly relates to Alien. I guess it makes the corporation aware that the "engineers" exist, and perhaps that's why they were so adamant that the crew investigate the signal. But does Prometheus add anything to Alien? Does it answer any questions or provide any insight?

It's in the same universe and involves the same corporation and probably some of the same aliens but that's about it. If nothing in Prometheus happened, if the Nostromo was the first human ship to ever find an engineer ship, nothing would have played out any differently.

But now we have even more questions!

My favorite part is how at the start of the movie the geologist and biologist are like "WERE IN IT FOR THE MONEY". Then the first sight of a dead alien body they run away and get lost after they used future mapping drones to map the entire base.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The map was in the ship

the ship that they werent in

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Here's my review of 2001 A Space Odyssey:

-It was not an Alien prequel.

-The old age makeup isnt real.

-He should not go into space.

-I'm hungry.

-Miniatures are always inferior to full-scale sets.

-He should not have chosen to become a baby.

-I'm sleepy.

-Real computers wouldn't do that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-I'm hungry.

-I'm sleepy.

This is the Alien 3 thread, I think you posted this in the wrong thread but that's ok

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

-I'm hungry.

-I'm sleepy.

Nice. :hfive:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oldpainless posted:

This is the Alien 3 thread, I think you posted this in the wrong thread but that's ok

I thought it was a prequel to Alien 3, and I'm hungry.

It's important that you know this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I thought it was a prequel to Alien 3, and I'm hungry.

It's important that you know this.

It possibly could be. 2001 shows humans first really venturing and establishing them selves in space. The drat corporations could have covered up everything about the monolith.
Also blade runner and total recall are also in the alien universe because I enjoy them and I enjoy alien.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Then The Running Man is in the Alien universe too, because Total Recall is clearly its sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Then The Running Man is in the Alien universe too, because Total Recall is clearly its sequel.
'Soldier' and 'Blade Runner' are in the same universe, or at least that was the intent of the filmmakers behind 'Soldier'. No, seriously.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It seems that a lot of people I run into conceive of Scott as some sort of auteur who makes highly innovative, stylized films and rarely has a miss.

That's not the case at all. He is a great filmmaker who has made numerous contributions to the art, but the quality of his work is highly dependent on who he collaborates with. He has a superior visual sense like Cameron, Spielberg, and others, but doesn't have a strong personal style. His films tend to be reflective of the contemporary state of whatever genre he's working in, and his most familiar work is in genres that were hot and culturally relevant at the time.

In the case of Alien and Blade Runner, Scott collaborated with some exceptionally talented people and was working in a genre that was still establishing itself as "legitimate film". The rules for sci-fi hadn't been fully codified and everyone was experimenting in some way. Additionally, those films were made at the tail end of the era of the director-driven film, where personal vision and stylistic innovation was encouraged by the industry far more than it is today. Scott moved with the industry into the era of the blockbuster, and his big films that most people remember today (aside from Alien and Blade Runner) are landmarks of blockbuster genre filmmaking -- Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, American Gangster. They borrow a lot from contemporary films in their respective genre and aren't highly original or stylized -- just very well-made.

So when it comes to Prometheus, expectations should have been for exactly that: a well-made blockbuster film that reflects the current state of space sci-fi. That can be thought of any number of ways, but some attributes that come to mind immediately are adventurous tone, fast-paced, slightly campy, clean and minimalist, action-oriented, filled with CGI, light on characterization. It would have been closer to Avatar and Star Trek 09 than Moon, but looked and felt like all three in some way. Expecting something that resembles sci-fi from 30 years ago when the director and the industry have both moved on is a good way to be disappointed with whatever you get.
Just wanted to say that this is a good, insightful post, and has a bunch of stuff that I'd never really considered (or to be honest, kinda-sorta considered, but didn't completely make the connections until you articulated it). It "explains" a pretty good deal of why the consistency of his movies can be all over the map, but I'll get back to that later.

I hadn't fully considered the idea that Scott is a "chameleon director" without a style of his own, and perhaps part of what people fixate on is that with sci-fi films, Scott's movies are such a small sample size and their visual style is so iconic and yet consistent (and it set the general visual style of all the subsequent sequels in the Alien series), that him deviating from that style seems immediately jarring and out of place. But when you look at his work as a whole as it relates to Hollywood, like you said, the change makes more sense.

Do you think his lack of personal style is a good thing or a bad thing (or both)?
I mentioned that it explains why his lack of a personal style explains his lack of consistency in my eyes, whereas there are certain directors that have very strong personal styles that I either like or I don't and as a result I tend to either like or not like almost every movie they make. Ridley Scott on the other hand is a little bit all over the map for me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I really like that Scott did "Matchstick Men" right after "Black Hawk Down" and "Russel Crowe drinks wine for two hours" right before "American Gangster."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM6X_wdZJaE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baronjutter posted:

It literally shows you the origin of the Alien, or at least a good chunk of it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

No it doesn't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SMG is right (and with that, the first seal holding closed the doorway to hell was opened, and a low, mournful tolling of a bell could be heard echoing over the hills).

No seriously, he's right. Prometheus shows the creation of a life form, but the capital-A Alien xenomorph penis-headed rape monster from the other movies existed before the events of Prometheus. You can even spot a depiction of one in a mural on the wall of one of the Engineer facility chambers earlier in the movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Steve2911 posted:

The ship the nostromo finds is super old, super super old, they mention fossilization, meaning the ships and the dead pilot were there for many thousands, perhaps millions of years. The engineers in Prometheus were killed very "recently", only about 2000 years ago.

The engineers are probably really good bio-engineers and have created all sorts of creatures and bio-tech. It's possible both the black goo and the xenomorph are their creations, or at least their discoveries. But from the fact that their spaceships and technology have a very similar look and feel to the alien I'm guessing both are creations. We really don't know, there's a lot of potentially cool mysteries still out there.

But the ship found on LV-426 was there long long before the events in Prometheus or the holo-recording of the engineers loving up. Probably the same species and technology (engineer bio-weapons) but totally unrelated events. The creature at the very end of Prometheus is very different from the xenomorph. Similar, but different. It's like an alien seeing a bear then seeing a dog and assuming they are the same species. Totally part of the same general family of life, but not the same.

I'm guessing the engineers have a whole menagerie of bio-engineered life forms they use for various reasons. The alien we see in Alien is just one of them, as is the black goo, the snake things, the big loving squid guy, and the thing that came out of the engineer. All based on the same "technology" but different products. And I think that would be a good direction to take the franchise, away from the specific model of xenomorph we're all so used to, let's see what else the engineers cooked up. Maybe there's whole planets with whole bio-engineered biosphere made up of horrible geiger creatures. Maybe most of them aren't even hostile, just workers or tools of some sort. Little dudes that clean starships, things that eat asteroids and poo poo out bio-ships. So much potential stuff to see.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

What is the theme of prometheus?

Worship of our creators is mostly fueled by innocence, and simply because our creators told us to.

The movie represents the horror of the moment we discover that our parents, which we'd previously regarded almost as gods, are actually fallible. They make mistakes. Hell, YOU might have been a mistake. They might not even love you... they might even hate and resent you.

If you like, there's room here to stretch that into a broader question of, if a god who created all of humanity exists, is he truly worthy of worship simply because he created us? And because he says so?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baronjutter posted:

The ship the nostromo finds is super old, super super old, they mention fossilization, meaning the ships and the dead pilot were there for many thousands, perhaps millions of years. The engineers in Prometheus were killed very "recently", only about 2000 years ago.

The engineers are probably really good bio-engineers and have created all sorts of creatures and bio-tech. It's possible both the black goo and the xenomorph are their creations, or at least their discoveries. But from the fact that their spaceships and technology have a very similar look and feel to the alien I'm guessing both are creations. We really don't know, there's a lot of potentially cool mysteries still out there.

But the ship found on LV-426 was there long long before the events in Prometheus or the holo-recording of the engineers loving up. Probably the same species and technology (engineer bio-weapons) but totally unrelated events. The creature at the very end of Prometheus is very different from the xenomorph. Similar, but different. It's like an alien seeing a bear then seeing a dog and assuming they are the same species. Totally part of the same general family of life, but not the same.

I'm guessing the engineers have a whole menagerie of bio-engineered life forms they use for various reasons. The alien we see in Alien is just one of them, as is the black goo, the snake things, the big loving squid guy, and the thing that came out of the engineer. All based on the same "technology" but different products. And I think that would be a good direction to take the franchise, away from the specific model of xenomorph we're all so used to, let's see what else the engineers cooked up. Maybe there's whole planets with whole bio-engineered biosphere made up of horrible geiger creatures. Maybe most of them aren't even hostile, just workers or tools of some sort. Little dudes that clean starships, things that eat asteroids and poo poo out bio-ships. So much potential stuff to see.

Someone posited here that the Engineers were trying to look like and act like their own creators/predecessors, which would be the Space Jockey people. It's not a mask that the big dead fossil is wearing in Alien.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone posited here that the Engineers were trying to look like and act like their own creators/predecessors, which would be the Space Jockey people. It's not a mask that the big dead fossil is wearing in Alien.
Yeah, that was me. It plays into the recurring theme of "similar, but not the same", and it's a mild inversion of the also recurring theme of creations emulating their creators (which comes full circle with the Deacon at the end of the movie).

I think that interpretation makes Prometheus more thematically interesting, and doesn't undermine the otherworldly weirdness of the Space Jockey.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

SMG is right (and with that, the first seal holding closed the doorway to hell was opened, and a low, mournful tolling of a bell could be heard echoing over the hills).

No seriously, he's right. Prometheus shows the creation of a life form, but the capital-A Alien xenomorph penis-headed rape monster from the other movies existed before the events of Prometheus. You can even spot a depiction of one in a mural on the wall of one of the Engineer facility chambers earlier in the movie.

Except the "capital-A Aliens" (:ughh:) did come from the black goo in one way or another. Ridley Scott confirmed this and said the Prometheus sequel will explore why the Engineers created this "evil biology" (black goo).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

But why did a little fish come out of Holloways' eye?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

Except the "capital-A Aliens" (:ughh:) did come from the black goo in one way or another. Ridley Scott confirmed this and said the Prometheus sequel will explore why the Engineers created this "evil biology" (black goo).
Do you have a link/quote on that? I remember him saying the Deacon and the Alien are "genetic cousins", with the implication that the Black Goo was derived from the Alien.

Also even if the Alien came from the black goo, that doesn't change what I and others were saying: Prometheus doesn't show the origin of the Alien

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortan posted:

He's a liar.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

I was watching the movie very intently but I never noticed anything come out of anyone's eyes! I even remembered this exact quote before watching the movie because I hate anything eye related.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have a link/quote on that? I remember him saying the Deacon and the Alien are "genetic cousins", with the implication that the Black Goo was derived from the Alien.

Also even if the Alien came from the black goo, that doesn't change what I and others were saying: Prometheus doesn't show the origin of the Alien

It was in one of the interviews he did while promoting The Martian. He even said that he originally viewed the original Alien in 1979 as a biological weapon. Of course, those eggs were in an Engineer ship as well. The black goo was confirmed to be a biological weapon in Prometheus. It also appears to be able to create more than one kind of creature. Okay, it didn't show the actual origin of the original capital-A Alien in Prometheus, but it's pretty explicit about where this is going in addition to Scott's comments. The more intriguing part for me (and hopefully for everyone else) is more backstory on the Engineers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It really all comes down to respecting or trusting the writers/film makers.

Some people have become cynical from really bad scify writing where they're just making poo poo up as they go and change their mind and ret-con poo poo constantly, so when they see a movie that just raises a ton of questions and doesn't explain much they're sick of that poo poo because they don't trust or believe the writer actually has the answers and don't expect them to be answered in a satisfying way.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe it was too liquored up?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

It was in one of the interviews he did while promoting The Martian. He even said that he originally viewed the original Alien in 1979 as a biological weapon. Of course, those eggs were in an Engineer ship as well. The black goo was confirmed to be a biological weapon in Prometheus. It also appears to be able to create more than one kind of creature. Okay, it didn't show the actual origin of the original capital-A Alien in Prometheus, but it's pretty explicit about where this is going in addition to Scott's comments. The more intriguing part for me (and hopefully for everyone else) is more backstory on the Engineers.
The recent Prometheus comics had a good name for the black goo: "Accelerant". While the comic doesn't codify what the black goo does or its origins, it does imply that it causes rapid and unpredictable molecular change and cellular mutation.

That's really a good enough "explanation" for what we see in the movie. The black goo doesn't have a singular goal or purpose, it just changes things in weird ways.

The comic has some neat (and freaky) stuff resulting from the black goo in the aftermath of the events of the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baronjutter posted:

Some people have become cynical from really bad scify writing where they're just making poo poo up as they go and change their mind and ret-con poo poo constantly, so when they see a movie that just raises a ton of questions and doesn't explain much they're sick of that poo poo because they don't trust or believe the writer actually has the answers and don't expect them to be answered in a satisfying way.

It's difficult to trust someone who wrote Lost.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xenomrph posted:

The recent Prometheus comics had a good name for the black goo: "Accelerant". While the comic doesn't codify what the black goo does or its origins, it does imply that it causes rapid and unpredictable molecular change and cellular mutation.

That's really a good enough "explanation" for what we see in the movie. The black goo doesn't have a singular goal or purpose, it just changes things in weird ways.

The comic has some neat (and freaky) stuff resulting from the black goo in the aftermath of the events of the movie.

When they first discover the head room we see some tiny little worms in the dirt. Later after the black goo has leaked out, we see some incredibly scary and clearly aggressive snake-worm things. I always got the strong feeling showing the harmless worms and then the huge snake was supposed to tell the audience that the black goo rapidly mutates things and makes them more dangerous and probably more violent and aggressive.

Little worms turned into huge snake.
Dude's sperm turned into huge octopus face-rape machine along with him probably slowly mutating into something as well.
Human dunked in the stuff turned into a super-human angry killing machine that was adapted to the environment (didn't need suit anymore).
And, after the octopus thing impregnated the engineer something very close to an Alien came out, although this alien seemed a lot less bio-mechnical looking.

So, does the black goo just keep randomly violently mutating things until the life cycle reaches a perfect killing machine, which often ends up looking like the Alien? The worm-snake and the giant octopus did not look anything like an Alien or engineer technology (ie gieger stuff). Is the Alien a product of using the black goo along with science to control or craft the results? Is the Alien the product of the black goo being exposed for a long time to the various bio-mechanical creations of the engineers?

In Alien we see a strong resemblance between the Alien and the ship it is found on, it looks like they are clearly from the same place or were created by the same hand. Were the engineers or space jockey's basing their technology and style on the alien or the other way around? Because we know the black goo does not always result in creatures that look like they were designed by a mad Swissman, but that it sometimes does. So??? Cool mysteries! Or just a total lack of thought and planning! Who knows.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

If you want to know the answer to a question a work of art raises, it is a good question. I can also, almost guarantee, that you don't actually want them answered.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

If you want to know the answer to a question a work of art raises, it is a good question. I can also, almost guarantee, that you don't actually want them answered.

Absolutely true. Ever since the first Alien movie I've been absolutely captivated by the mystery of the space jockey. I know I could lie to my self that the engineers aren't the space jockey's but I think it's fairly obvious that they are the "official" answer to that question.

Then again there's lots of good writing that have set up very captivating mysteries with entirely satisfying solutions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Then again there's lots of good writing that have set up very captivating mysteries with entirely satisfying solutions.

This will sound snarky, so I'm apologising in advance. Like what? I actually can't think of one myself. I'm not denying the possibility, but what films/books/tv shows are you thinking of when you say that?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh hey alien3 thread
didnt see you there

count me in as one of the people who appreciates the assembly cut, despite liking parts 1 and 2 more

also the soundtrack is indeed topnotch

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

This will sound snarky, so I'm apologising in advance. Like what? I actually can't think of one myself. I'm not denying the possibility, but what films/books/tv shows are you thinking of when you say that?

A lot of decent horror, movies and books. I always thought lovecraft did a good job sort of explaining mysteries while still keeping them alien and mysterious.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of decent horror, movies and books. I always thought lovecraft did a good job sort of explaining mysteries while still keeping them alien and mysterious.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but can you please be more specific?

Lovecraft is a solid example, but he still tended to stick to broad strokes. The one about the old musician was one of the best. He explains why the guy plays the music (to keep something terrible away) but doesn't actually explain what that thing is in any detail.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

I know I could lie to my self that the engineers aren't the space jockey's but I think it's fairly obvious that they are the "official" answer to that question.
I don't see it as lying to yourself, I think it's fairly obvious that there is no "official" answer (and that's how it should be).
Having the Engineers and Space Jockey be different leaves unanswered questions, but I think having them be the same raises even more questions - mostly negative questions about the caliber of the filmmaking, rather than the story the movie is trying to tell.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The sad thing is that the film provides a clear answer to every question.

That answer is, simply: ask better questions.

It's unambiguous. Shaw starts the film asking basic, stupid questions like 'what is the meaning of life?' and 'why do bad things happen to good people?' By the end, she is effectively asking 'how dare you?!' - a question that is not really a question but a demand.

That question is, specifically, 'why are you trying to kill us?'

"We are gradually becoming aware of the destructive potential, up to the self-annihilation of humanity itself, that could be unleashed if the capitalist logic of enclosing [the] commons is allowed a free run. [...]

In contrast to the classic image of proletarians who have 'nothing to lose but their chains,' we are thus ALL in danger of losing ALL. The risk is that we will be reduced to abstract empty Cartesian subjects deprived of substantial content, dispossessed of symbolic substance, our genetic base manipulated, vegetating in an unlivable environment.

These triple threats to our being make all of us potential proletarians. And the only way to prevent actually becoming one is to act preventively.

The true legacy of ’68 is best encapsulated in the formula Soyons realistes, demandons l’impossible! (Let’s be realists, demand the impossible.)

Today’s utopia is the belief that the existing global system can reproduce itself indefinitely. The only way to be realistic is to envision what, within the coordinates of this system, cannot but appear as impossible."

-Zizek

What Shaw is making is this impossible demand that breaks from the cycle of rebellion/corruption. For all his genius, David 8 cannot think outside this system - he can only accelerate it. Hence: "sometimes, in order to create, you must first destroy." David is saying this with full knowledge that Earth will be rendered permanently uninhabitable, except to robots. The punchline to the magical observatory scene is that David is being overwhelmed with joy by the inevitability of the apocalypse.

Without understanding the basic allegory, you will fail to understand basic plot points - like why Weyland fakes his death. Weyland is put into hibernation to create the illusion that his company is no longer patriarchal. The crew are under the impression that Weyland is a hip, Web-2.0 sort of company, where they can work under limited oversight doing nonprofitable research for all mankind.

The reveal that Weyland is as alive as ever corresponds with Shaw's newfound awareness of her expendability.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

Do you think his lack of personal style is a good thing or a bad thing (or both)?
Well, it would be incorrect to say he lacks personal style, but rather that it doesn't draw attention to itself like the work of other directors. For the most part it manifests in consistent, competent direction that is a pleasure to watch. But there are also recurring motifs in his work. The one I picked up on first was the use of montage to signal a major change in a film's tone, often featuring dreamlike slow motion footage intercut with shots of the protagonist lost in reflection. Off the top of my head, I can recall this appearing in 1492, Kingdom of Heaven (maybe only in the director's cut), and Blade Runner. The opening montages of Alien, Blade Runner, and Prometheus are stylistically similar and set a very strong tone for at least the first half of the film.