Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Starkk posted:

Anyone else constantly running out of adhesive for armor/gun modding? I can't find enough wonderglue and duct tape to suit my needs.

Yes. Where are all the adhesives?

I think I saw a recipe for crafting them at the cooking workbench but it requires a lot of materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody know how high you have to level lockpicking to get that Cryo gun from the intro?

As soon as I got some bobby pins I ran back there, but its not a simple lock :smith:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So now that I have played my obligatory couple of hours to understand a bit more of how the game works, I am starting over with that knowledge so I can better plan out my beginning stat distribution. Just wondering what others are striving for or have found to be really useful? I would like to take this game on on survival, unless it just makes the game too dumbly hard and everything is just bullet sponges.

Survival is Hard but with 3x the HP. Its literally bullet sponge mode.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I'm still not sure how to feel about this game yet. i may just be having weird luck when running around but does the game feel alot more...lifeless to anyone else? I know that's a little weird to say about a post-apocalyptic game but so far it seems all I find is logs and corpses no matter where I go. No interesting towns with their own quests, no quirky weirdos in the middle of nowhere with their own thing going on. The closest thing iv'e seen to one of these places is my own settlement.

Maybe i'm just used to New Vegas so much. Still, i'm really not sure how much i'm gonna like fallout 4 in the long run at this point.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Anyone else find the game has too much bloom?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lordshmee posted:

OK, I have a horrible confession to make. I never grew out of the arrow-key controls that I learned as a child of the mid-90s. Meaning I use arrow keys for movement, num-0 for jump, shift for sprint, etc. This scheme has served me well for nigh on 20 years and I've never been able to adapt to WASD. Now, the rub: Num-0 is a reserved button that cannot be remapped. Someone please tell me there's a way around this awful limitation. I literally cannot jump and that's a non-starter obviously :(

Don't give up sempai, you can learn wasd. Then you can move on to esdf.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

These controls are terrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OrangeSoda posted:

I'm still not sure how to feel about this game yet. i may just be having weird luck when running around but does the game feel alot more...lifeless to anyone else? I know that's a little weird to say about a post-apocalyptic game but so far it seems all I find is logs and corpses no matter where I go. No interesting towns with their own quests, no quirky weirdos in the middle of nowhere with their own thing going on. The closest thing iv'e seen to one of these places is my own settlement.

Maybe i'm just used to New Vegas so much. Still, i'm really not sure how much i'm gonna like fallout 4 in the long run at this point.

You're probably just in a less populated area, 3 and NV had plenty of open wasteland too. There's a poo poo ton of stuff going on in Boston proper, super dense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone know if there are energy weapon mods that require Gun Nut? I'm definitely taking Science!, but I'm curious if I'll want Gun Nut too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does anyone know how to find out what weapons fall into which categories?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Zaphod42 posted:

You're probably just in a less populated area, 3 and NV had plenty of open wasteland too. There's a poo poo ton of stuff going on in Boston proper, super dense.

Ahh, that is where all the action is. I'll keep at it, thanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but with the mixed reviews this has been getting, if I've never played a Fallout game, should I return my preorder and maybe pick this up in a few months?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There any benefit to just starting a new game if I'm having tons of glitches? I'm about 2 hours in and I've had 2 mandatory quests just break (something doesn't get triggered and I can't proceed any farther).

So far New Vegas was a lot less buggy at launch, and that's saying a lot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

How do I assign someone to be a farmer or whatever?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OrangeSoda posted:

The game gets better after you reach around level 10 or so. There's just so much boring padding going on early in the game and you have to stick with it for any of the interesting stuff to pop up. Don't hang back and level up too much before you hit Diamond City, there's not much point.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody know how high you have to level lockpicking to get that Cryo gun from the intro?

I believe it was an master lock if I recall. So I think you need 3 points in lock picking available at level 18.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Once again I'm one of the lucky ones that only gets stupid funny bugs and not any game breaking ones (yet). My character will only talk to people facing away from them for some reason.

Also I guess that Nuka Cola Jones soda sold out at like every Target within 50 miles of me awesome.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 10, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mister Adequate posted:

How do I assign someone to be a farmer or whatever?

Talk to them while in workshop mode, and then go and use the station you want them assigned to.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Reason posted:

Once again I'm one of the lucky ones that only gets stupid funny bugs and not any game breaking ones (yet). My character will only talk to people facing away from them for some reason.

Put less points in the goon autism slider

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Got a hard copy (because internet is terrible in Australia) and then was pleasantly surprised that 18 gigs needed to be downloaded.

So I stayed up late, then when I finally got around to the game I completely ignored the plot in favour of playing dollies with Sanctuary and upgrading my 10mm and double barrel until 3:00 AM.

I cannot find enough copper.

Doing a solid for a mate today and having them drop by work with a hard drive to pickup the files - I'm out at a clients public office being a pretty face, there is nothing to do here and very little capacity to work remotely, so I'm wishing I still had some brick of a laptop that could run F4 rather than the dainty ultra light thing that does spreadsheets and isometric rpgs well. Oh well, Fallout 2 it is :haw:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Third World Reggin posted:

Don't give up sempai, you can learn wasd. Then you can move on to esdf.

I used esdf for years until I ran into a handful of unmappable games and transitioned to wasd. I miss my extra pinky buttons. :smith:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Starkk posted:

Anyone else constantly running out of adhesive for armor/gun modding? I can't find enough wonderglue and duct tape to suit my needs.

:argh: Screws!

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but with the mixed reviews this has been getting, if I've never played a Fallout game, should I return my preorder and maybe pick this up in a few months?

This is definitely the wrong place to ask

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

loving hell these loads time wtf kill me now

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SO ARE THERE RANDOM QUESTS OR NOT!!!!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Raffles posted:

loving hell these loads time wtf kill me now

My SSD loads it pretty quick :smug:

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Seem to be. There's a Brotherhood of Steel lady who seems to have an endless supply of "get me this gizmo" quests in my game.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Every quest may as well be random since it's 'go here and kill this' or 'go here and get me this'

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Gort posted:

My SSD loads it pretty quick :smug:
I'm not kidding like 5 minutes so far trying to get outside to get the power armour in like the first mission i wish i was dead

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
probably already got posted but gently caress it. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/100/ mod to remove the cash register sound. theres a also a mod to remove the player character voice. no tit mods just yet but give it a few minutes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

OK, I have a horrible confession to make. I never grew out of the arrow-key controls that I learned as a child of the mid-90s. Meaning I use arrow keys for movement, num-0 for jump, shift for sprint, etc. This scheme has served me well for nigh on 20 years and I've never been able to adapt to WASD. Now, the rub: Num-0 is a reserved button that cannot be remapped. Someone please tell me there's a way around this awful limitation. I literally cannot jump and that's a non-starter obviously :(

Give up now. There are so many unbelievably stupid things about rebinding keys in this game that you are going to be completely, 100% unable to perform some actions if you aren't using wasd, and all of the menu poo poo is going to make you move your hands over to the opposite side of the keyboard from your arrow keys. Hope you have a controller.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just ran into an npc that seemed to have 10x the effort put into her animations than the rest of the Npc's in the game.
Was almost kind of jarring.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Has anyone gotten this to work with a steam link? I get a consistent crash after hitting play on the launcher that pops up. Other games (including Skyrim which also has a launcher) seem to work fine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK so how do I get to limit my loving framerate in this game because I dont think vsync is working and Im going sonic fast inside the vault and getting stuck on terminals. This wasnt happening yesterday!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
You have got to be loving kidding me; the game map model still has some placeholders. Not even 3 hours in, on a sidequest right after the first help bandit one...

This game was not worth 60 dollars.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It would be really nice if I didn't have to watch John Fallout stop winding up the weapon crafting station 2 full seconds after I exit it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Ambaire posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me; the game map model still has some placeholders. Not even 3 hours in, on a sidequest right after the first help bandit one...

No, that's a Quirky and Fun Bethesda Glitch. Restart your client and hope it fixes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Broken Cog posted:

Talk to them while in workshop mode, and then go and use the station you want them assigned to.

Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lordshmee posted:

If it helps, the keyboard controls suck for everyone :v:

I'm using a 360 controller, which is somehow much easier to remap than keyboard/mouse controls which I find absolutely hilarious. I basically did what I could to turn the 360 controls into something that resembles sanity (jump on Y? Pip-boy on B? the gently caress is this?) and I'm happier for it. It helps that I've played too much Destiny recently so aiming with controller sticks isn't too bad for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Those are not placeholders. They are LOD textures that are supposed to not appear when you are close to the area. Reloading the area will probably fix it.

That bug has also been around since Oblivion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ambaire posted:

That's not a placeholder--other Bethesda games do the same thing. It's something about a mesh or texture not being loaded when it's supposed to, so you're still seeing the ultra low-detail and/or LOD stuff while up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Fusion Cores are kind of dumb. They're expensive enough that pickpocketing them seems to be the only feasible way to obtain a bunch and if you do that from BoS, you end up with about 20

• Locked thread