Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LungBrothers
Oct 5, 2015

by Shine
Are there any good characters because so far this sounds like a lovely shooter with some rpg elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Wasn't there an ID shooter with some rpg elements called Rage, whatever happened there.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

LungBrothers posted:

Are there any good characters because so far this sounds like a lovely shooter with some rpg elements.

The only good companion is the synth detective, everyone else is really boring

Actually scratch that he's the only interesting character in the game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dely Apple posted:

Wasn't there an ID shooter with some rpg elements called Rage, whatever happened there.

it's crime, despite pretty cool shooty-bits, was being ultimately flat out mediocre in a very boring 'world'

the worst crime to comit

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
its a pretty good shooter with rpg elements imo but if your looking for the dynamic, character driven, layered narrative of new vegas your gonna be real disappointed lmao

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I resolved to get it and not wait for my online order and every place is sold out. Haven't seen that happen in a long time, especially in my bumfuck town.

LungBrothers
Oct 5, 2015

by Shine

Sonofsilversign posted:

its a pretty good shooter with rpg elements imo but if your looking for the dynamic, character driven, layered narrative of new vegas your gonna be real disappointed lmao

Wow all these years for nuthin *kicks dirt* :(

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Kuato posted:

I resolved to get it and not wait for my online order and every place is sold out. Haven't seen that happen in a long time, especially in my bumfuck town.

lol kuato don't buy media you silly

:filez::pirate:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

LungBrothers posted:

Wow all these years for nuthin *kicks dirt* :(

with all the dlc and a year or so of mods this game might be great, its a really solid platform to build on.

anyone found any cool companions yet?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A misanthrope posted:

lol kuato don't buy media you silly

:filez::pirate:
but he has to delete it within 24 hours or he will go to jail

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk what kind of soulless bastards you have to be to play this game and find it lovely

even psyopmonkey thought it was pretty good

i also don't know where this concept of Fallout being some super in depth intelligent RPG with tons of branching choices came from either. it was never that. sorry but go play F1 without the rose tinted glasses.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 10, 2015

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS10W8Bux3Y

naem
May 29, 2011

New Vegas was a better game than 3 but I hated the desert setting

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

i also don't know where this concept of Fallout being some super in depth intelligent RPG with tons of branching choices came from either. it was never that. sorry but go play F1 without the rose tinted glasses.

did you play new vegas cause you just described it perfectly

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Xaris posted:

but he has to delete it within 24 hours or he will go to jail

oh drat is that the law for real? i am going to be raped in prison

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

did you play new vegas cause you just described it perfectly

I played it a lot. Sorry but having multiple ways to complete certain quests and having more than 1 ending isn't "super in depth intelligent RPG with tons of branching choices."

Witcher 3 was way better about that by a long shot. NV was "kill these dudes or nah? kill these dudes or nah?" as 90% of the 'in depth choices.'

I mean it was great don't get me wrong but :rolleyes: so hard at some of the whining. I saw someone totally misconstrue an in-game conversation that took place either because they were so determined to see fault that they didn't even pay attention or they just straight up lied for epeen cred. It's just ridiculous. It isn't Bethesda's fault that you got crazy hyped on a video game and then it didn't meet your impossible expectations. Perfect graphics AND great story AND tight gameplay AND huge world AND... I mean get a grip already. Some people are acting like Todd Howard executed their family.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 11, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

veedubfreak posted:

So, I'm hearing wait for the steam sale for it to be 20 bucks?

10, my friend

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress youtube Jesus Christ

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

So this is morphing to the games thread where if you dont like it you just have impossibly high expectations.

Got it.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 11, 2015

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Despite all the nerds bitching and nitpicking, this game sure is popular

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

When is a single player game ever more popular than Counter-strike and Dota2?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
when its released

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Kakarot posted:

when its released

Not really. I can't recall a single player game ever being more popular than CS and Dota2 or pulling in those kinds of numbers. Maybe Skyrim when that launched. That's about it. Maybe nobody cares what a bunch of neckbearded basement dwellers on the internet have to say about FO4 or their impossibly high expectations? Seems just like Walking Dead where nerds on the internet bitch about it constantly, but it's the most popular show on cable TV.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 11, 2015

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

I played it a lot. Sorry but having multiple ways to complete certain quests and having more than 1 ending isn't "super in depth intelligent RPG with tons of branching choices."

Witcher 3 was way better about that by a long shot. NV was "kill these dudes or nah? kill these dudes or nah?" as 90% of the 'in depth choices.'

I mean it was great don't get me wrong but :rolleyes: so hard at some of the whining. I saw someone totally misconstrue an in-game conversation that took place either because they were so determined to see fault that they didn't even pay attention or they just straight up lied for epeen cred. It's just ridiculous. It isn't Bethesda's fault that you got crazy hyped on a video game and then it didn't meet your impossible expectations. Perfect graphics AND great story AND tight gameplay AND huge world AND... I mean get a grip already. Some people are acting like Todd Howard executed their family.

NV had insane replayability because of the freedom and variety in how you could approach questing and roleplaying. ive only been playing 4 for about 15 hours but i dont think ive encountered anything more complicated than a yes/no answer to a fetch quest which really sucks imo and is kinda sad when you realize the game this one isnt living up to came out 2010 :shrug:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

A misanthrope posted:

yes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

So this is morphing to the games thread where if you dont like it you just have impossibly high expectations.

Got it.

Why don't you just complain about real things instead of being all 'BUGGY GAME BROKEN MESS!' when it obviously isn't nearly as buggy as any other Bethesda game on launch?

And idk if you've been in the games thread lately but it's been 2-3 weeks of solid hating.

Sonofsilversign posted:

NV had insane replayability because of the freedom and variety in how you could approach questing and roleplaying. ive only been playing 4 for about 15 hours but i dont think ive encountered anything more complicated than a yes/no answer to a fetch quest which really sucks imo and is kinda sad when you realize the game this one isnt living up to came out 2010 :shrug:

It had a lot of freedom and variety in quest completion and that's cool but a) different dev studio, gonna be different focus and b) granted I'm only a bit into F4 but NV didn't have THAAT much freedom come on. There's only a couple quests I can think of that legit have different paths to completion (the cannibal one was brilliant) and most of them were most definitely 'go here, kill this, fetch this' quests.

I mean yeah it'd be nicer to have quests on par with Witcher 3 but tbh that's never been this series' strong suit. Going into a Bethesda game expecting some engrossing RPG story experience is for sure a path to disappointment.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 11, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here is the official Sheep-Goats review of Fallout 4, which I developed from painstakingly reading some posts and not being an idiot:

Fallout 4 is a good game that you should buy and enjoy, not quite as good as FNV, but better than FO3. There are some mods coming in six months that will be good and two out of the five DLCs will be great and the other two decent and the fifth one wet donkey poo poo.

The game will be available with all DLCs for 35 dollars in 1.5 years. If you can wait two years and find a steam sale this same package will be under 20 dollars.

Enjoy game.

PS Dear Bethesda:

God bless you forever for making Morrowind but please hire the crazy guys that you fired from the Morrowind group back and kill Todd Howard with a dildong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Here is the official Sheep-Goats review of Fallout 4, which I developed from painstakingly reading some posts and not being an idiot:

Fallout 4 is a good game that you should buy and enjoy, not quite as good as FNV, but better than FO3. There are some mods coming in six months that will be good and two out of the five DLCs will be great and the other two decent and the fifth one wet donkey poo poo.

The game will be available with all DLCs for 35 dollars in 1.5 years. If you can wait two years and find a steam sale this same package will be under 20 dollars.

Enjoy game.

PS Dear Bethesda:

God bless you forever for making Morrowind but please hire the crazy guys that you fired from the Morrowind group back and kill Todd Howard with a dildong

This all seems fair except idk that Todd deserves death. :shobon:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Enjoy game.

PS Dear Bethesda:

this game will be $7.50 in a year

the dlc will remain full price forever unless you buy goty edition for $30

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

It had a lot of freedom and variety in quest completion and that's cool but a) different dev studio, gonna be different focus and b) granted I'm only a bit into F4 but NV didn't have THAAT much freedom come on. There's only a couple quests I can think of that legit have different paths to completion (the cannibal one was brilliant) and most of them were most definitely 'go here, kill this, fetch this' quests.
The difference is that your build changed how you approached quests. with high enough attributes and skills you could shortcut, find new ways to proceed or skip quest entirely, you could let your OP companions and faction support do everything for you or deal with it yourself. you could fight the entire world or try to be diplomatic or manipulative or whatever. this game lets you say yes, no, ask for more information or say yes but sarcastically your build is totally irrelevant

the combat is actually really fun and satisfying though so thats a huge step forward

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fallout 4 is a good game that you should buy and enjoy, not quite as good as FNV, but better than FO3. There are some mods coming in six months that will be good and two out of the five DLCs will be great

PS Dear Bethesda:

God bless you forever for making Morrowind but please hire the crazy guys that you fired from the Morrowind group back

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

hmmm nope

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

The difference is that your build changed how you approached quests. with high enough attributes and skills you could shortcut, find new ways to proceed or skip quest entirely, you could let your OP companions and faction support do everything for you or deal with it yourself. you could fight the entire world or try to be diplomatic or manipulative or whatever. this game lets you say yes, no, ask for more information or say yes but sarcastically your build is totally irrelevant

Yeah that's fair enough. The 4 choice dialog thing is probably my biggest issue with this game.

I will say that the perks are enough that you can still specialize your character. Maybe even more so since you can't just grind every skill to 100 like in Skyrim or max Int and do the same thing in NV or FO3. It's 1 perk per level and there's so many that you'd have to be some ridiculously high level to ever get them all.

lol yeah? what quests are you thinking about specifically? I gots hundreds of hours in that game dawg. Cannibal quest, end of Dead Money, and which faction you end up joining are probably the most 'change-y' of all the quests. Otherwise most choices are binary. Help the Boomers, kill the Boomers. Help the BoS, kill the BoS (granted how you did that could be varied).

Yeah, there's a lot of smaller touches like various ways to kill the Van de Graffs but idk that I'd call multiple ways to finish a quest something crazy deep. Either they die or Cassidy does. That's it. Almost none of the quests affected each other like they do in W3. It doesn't ultimately matter where you redirect the power in the HELIOS One quest other than some small lines of dialogue changing. Most of the time the effect of your choices is just different NPCs standing around.

I mean look yeah NV's writing is better, the quests are better, etc. But again why do you expect that from Bethesda? Obsidian is not Bethesda.

If your complaint is it feels more like an action game than an RPG game then yeah alright that's valid.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 11, 2015

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Played it for a few hours so far. Pretty good game. Unfortunately, it looks the the grenade launchers from NV aren't making a return. Looking forward to someone modding them in.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah that's fair enough. The 4 choice dialog thing is probably my biggest issue with this game.

I will say that the perks are enough that you can still specialize your character. Maybe even more so since you can't just grind every skill to 100 like in Skyrim or max Int and do the same thing in NV or FO3. It's 1 perk per level and there's so many that you'd have to be some ridiculously high level to ever get them all.

the perk tree is awesome, way better than the skill system. weapon and armor customization owns. settlement building is cool and will be the poo poo once modders fix the lovely UI and start adding more building options.

FO4 is a pretty good shooter with rpg elements and thats okay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

lol yeah? what quests are you thinking about specifically? I gots hundreds of hours in that game dawg. Cannibal quest, end of Dead Money, and which faction you end up joining are probably the most 'change-y' of all the quests. Otherwise most choices are binary. Help the Boomers, kill the Boomers. Help the BoS, kill the BoS (granted how you did that could be varied).

Yeah, there's a lot of smaller touches like various ways to kill the Van de Graffs but idk that I'd call multiple ways to finish a quest something crazy deep. Either they die or Cassidy does. That's it. Almost none of the quests affected each other like they do in W3. It doesn't ultimately matter where you redirect the power in the HELIOS One quest other than some small lines of dialogue changing. Most of the time the effect of your choices is just different NPCs standing around.

I mean look yeah NV's writing is better, the quests are better, etc. But again why do you expect that from Bethesda? Obsidian is not Bethesda.

you do realize in most of the "binary" quests bits branch off of them depending on what you do to complete them. most quests aren't one thing, you do a piece of it which can be resolved a number of ways.

and if they weren't jackasses they woulda hired obsidian.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
the settlement thing seems tedious to me, but I'm guessing you don't have to focus on it too much.

i'll probably play it 2-4 years from now like I did with the last 2 games

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

Well its only "rape" if one doesn't enjoy it, amigo. Amirite?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

video games are fun and good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

symbolic posted:

video games are fun and good

Woah, calm down there champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014