Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Andrast posted:

Those are not placeholders. They are LOD textures that are supposed to not appear when you are close to the area. Reloading the area will probably fix it.

That bug has also been around since Oblivion.

:gonk:

On a happier note, I did finally figure out that when I'm recycling endless junk, 'e' works as 'enter' so I just have to cycle R,E endlessly. Why can't I just press R again to confirm remove, exactly?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Good thing I only paid 45 dollars. And you can fix that by restarting the game. It's a bug that's been around forever.

Odd, because I never ran into this bug with Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ambaire posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me; the game map model still has some placeholders. Not even 3 hours in, on a sidequest right after the first help bandit one...

This game was not worth 60 dollars.

Good thing I only paid 45 dollars. And you can fix that by restarting the game. It's a bug that's been around forever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Good thing I only paid 45 dollars.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mackintosh posted:

Predictably, the first patch made things worse. I was crashing every couple of hours, now I'm crashing every few minutes. Well done Bethesda.

Update your drivers.

botany posted:

ugh man there are timed quests in this, without any indication that they'll fail if you take too long to start them. great.

Well you guys wanted more F1 stuff no?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Seem to be. There's a Brotherhood of Steel lady who seems to have an endless supply of "get me this gizmo" quests in my game.
Intredasting...

I guess getting to level one billion might not involve grinding.

Follow-up question: is it just me or is VATS kinda disappointing visually this time? I seem to recall every other shot in FO3/NV giving me that bullet followcam effect, or at least showing my man scowling as he fires his dakka. Everything I've seen in FO4 just shows your guy pulling the trigger and then the bad guy losing some health maybe???

Is it really as dull as it seems?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Lordshmee posted:

OK, I have a horrible confession to make. I never grew out of the arrow-key controls that I learned as a child of the mid-90s. Meaning I use arrow keys for movement, num-0 for jump, shift for sprint, etc. This scheme has served me well for nigh on 20 years and I've never been able to adapt to WASD. Now, the rub: Num-0 is a reserved button that cannot be remapped. Someone please tell me there's a way around this awful limitation. I literally cannot jump and that's a non-starter obviously :(

So, for anyone having the same trouble as me - I offer a solution. I used AutoHotKey. Here's my script. It works without issue. Hope it helps someone:

code:
#SingleInstance Force
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 99999
#IfWinActive ahk_class Fallout4
#Persistent
#UseHook
Numpad0::Space
Space::Numpad0

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I used the critical hit with my Wrench while in VATS and instead of a wrench swing they did a series of punches on the Merc I was fighting, the final one making his head explode. :iia:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Intredasting...

I guess getting to level one billion might not involve grinding.

Follow-up question: is it just me or is VATS kinda disappointing visually this time? I seem to recall every other shot in FO3/NV giving me that bullet followcam effect, or at least showing my man scowling as he fires his dakka. Everything I've seen in FO4 just shows your guy pulling the trigger and then the bad guy losing some health maybe???

I get the bullet zoom poo poo and exploding slow mo parts and all that. I also learned if you tap the VATS button again it snaps out of slow mo death throes and goes back to normal time.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

I used the critical hit with my Wrench while in VATS and instead of a wrench swing they did a series of punches on the Merc I was fighting, the final one making his head explode. :iia:
that does sound pretty awesome, but i love my gunslinging, and watching bullets twirl gracefully into some schmuck's noggin was part of the fun in the earlier games

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
1) Legendary Deathclaw. gently caress that. End of story.

2) Just a friendly reminder, don't forget about the gun (Cryolator) in Vault 111 behind the master lock in the Overseer's room. It is freaking awesome. Far and away the most insane weapon against human targets. The original shot with the gun is passingly okay, although excellent for freezing large groups of people to kill with an explosion or something else, but the alternate fire mode you can mod has it firing slow moving snowballs, and it is freaking awesome. I can even take out Legendary targets with three burst shots via V.A.T.S. or manual head shots.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The baby is loving creepy. Looks like the nightmare dead baby from Trainspotting.

Whoever took the little bastard can keep him. I'll just continue hoarding junk and shooting bandits.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but with the mixed reviews this has been getting, if I've never played a Fallout game, should I return my preorder and maybe pick this up in a few months?

Honestly dude, just pick up the game and enjoy it. A lot of the hate is coming from faux-cynical gamers that want the game to fail.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Godinster posted:

Fusion Cores are kind of dumb. They're expensive enough that pickpocketing them seems to be the only feasible way to obtain a bunch and if you do that from BoS, you end up with about 20

I haven't bought a single fusion core yet and money isn't really that hard to come by if you sell poo poo.

Good to know about getting a shitload if you join the Brotherhood, though. I'm never leaving my power armor again.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I wish you could clear our more of the grass/brush in settlements.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Lordshmee posted:

So, for anyone having the same trouble as me - I offer a solution. I used AutoHotKey. Here's my script. It works without issue. Hope it helps someone:

code:
#SingleInstance Force
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 99999
#IfWinActive ahk_class Fallout4
#Persistent
#UseHook
Numpad0::Space
Space::Numpad0

I think it's bullshit that I have to use this solution to fix my key mapping problem. If I don't find console commands to fix these lazily made hard coded key binds, I'll probably just get a refund through Steam (haven't played 2 hours yet), and buy it next year when it's over half off and when mods have fixed this poo poo.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Honestly dude, just pick up the game and enjoy it. A lot of the hate is coming from faux-cynical gamers that want the game to fail.

See what I mean?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
For anyone complaining about needing to use the arrow keys while in workshop mode, hold shift, then use WASD.

Also, welcome to Sanctuary Hills.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Is there a way to scrap items that don't show up in work benches besides dropping them on the ground and doing it through build mode?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Well you guys wanted more F1 stuff no?

i'm not sure who "you guys" is supposed to refer to, but i hated that poo poo in F1 as well.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So fyi, you can totally tell dogmeat to go look for some loot in vault 111 and if you're near the cryolater he will grab it despite it being locked in the case.

So enjoy that.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Playing this at 4K @ 50-60 FPS so I've been playing it at 1440 to make sure I'm always getting 60 and jbecause the UI and text is a lot smaller at 4K for me to read. It almost seems like it doesn't even matter though because it is buttery smooth at 4K and with ReShade (sweetfx mostly) the game actually looks pretty breath taking in some areas. I can't wait to see what better reshade and better textures end up doing. It won't change anything until they can fix the animations though because even if the game world looks good the character models and animations are a huge eyesore. After seeing tomb raider rise game videos holy cow that game is the pinnacle of animations and it is too bad Bethesda can't fix their "jank" to get anything like that but if they could and fix the textures this game would be one of the best looking games (hard to believe I'm saying that after watching 20+ hours of streams that looked like garbage, but they weren't playing with reshade then).

I guess I'm a little confused though because I got all these guns and they have a value but I can't find a vendor with a lot of money to trade for them and caps seem kind of worthless (i'm only a few hours in though so maybe this changes)/... Should I be junking guns or selling them to vendors? How do you remove mods from a gun is it all just stuff from the weapons workshop? Is it worthwhile to learn chemistr and such? . Is there any perk that affects the shotguns? I looked over the list several times and couldnt find anything.

I wasn't really sure how to go into this so I have a high perception, high agility and decent charisma and luck. My str endurance and int are around 2 or 3 each. The only things I really have been getting are like lockpicking sneaking and pistols/rifles because I cant find a shotgun thing. Any really good perks that are "overpowered" for someone who likes to just shoot and has a high agility? It seems that blitz is the good one but that is only for melee vats :ohdear:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

This game is objectively worse than fallout 3 in just about every respect, the off center camera is totally poo poo, the loading times are completely horrendous, the control interface is a kludge and a complete piece of poo poo. Cancel your order and wait for modders to make the game playable because right now it's a joke and I almost quit before even getting out of the vault, but then I gave up as soon as I started using the crafting system before I even left the first town. The game needs a ton of mods before it will be any good, and if they can't fix the off center camera I won't even be able to play it in the first place. When will devs learn that that off center camera gives a ton of people motion sickness?

For me the game is totally unplayable in it's current state.

The story and the characters motivation are also a huge step back from previous titles, oh boy I need to go save my baby who cares?

Adding all the retarded gun bullshit to make it more like borderlands is also dumb imo, but that's just a preference thing.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 11, 2015

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I will admit that I am in this group. I bought it. I'm playing it. It's a solid game.

I want it to fail and I know it never will because there is no competition. This is the reason that Bethesda will always do the bare minumum when it comes to TES and Fallout.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Good to see people still don't know what "objectively" means.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I got a super mutant to drop a synth arm armor piece, only to find that it's invisible on my player armor. God bless you Bethesda.

Superstring posted:

Is there a way to scrap items that don't show up in work benches besides dropping them on the ground and doing it through build mode?

The game auto scraps items.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok so Power Armor is sick as gently caress.

Also anyone else notice captions sticking?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I can't get over the fact that the animations are worse than Skyrim's.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am really not feeling this city building stuff

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Washout posted:

This game is objectively worse than fallout 3 in just about every respect, the off center camera is totally poo poo, the loading times are completely horrendous, the control interface is a kludge and a complete piece of poo poo. Cancel your order and wait for modders to make the game playable because right now it's a joke and I almost quit before even getting out of the vault, but then I gave up as soon as I started using the crafting system before I even left the first town. The game needs a ton of mods before it will be any good, and if they can't fix the off center camera I won't even be able to play it in the first place. When will devs learn that that off center camera gives a ton of people motion sickness?

For me the game is totally unplayable in it's current state.

The story and the characters motivation are also a huge step back from previous titles, oh boy I need to go save my baby who cares?

Source your quotes.

Anyhow, how much charisma do you need to actually succeed in persuasion checks? My dude has 2 charisma by default and 5 while cross-dressing and wearing a wig, but I couldn't successfully persuade the old lady in the museum even after reloading like 5-6 times.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is there a way to equip people in your settlement? I give them stuff but they don't seem to give much of a poo poo about it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Meowbot posted:

I guess I'm a little confused though because I got all these guns and they have a value but I can't find a vendor with a lot of money to trade for them and caps seem kind of worthless (i'm only a few hours in though so maybe this changes)/... Should I be junking guns or selling them to vendors? How do you remove mods from a gun is it all just stuff from the weapons workshop? Is it worthwhile to learn chemistr and such? . Is there any perk that affects the shotguns? I looked over the list several times and couldnt find anything.

Took a while before I figured this out: When you modify a gun, the existing mod (if any) gets turned into an item and is placed in a separate pane in your inventory. These mods can then be applied to other guns of the same class. Warning: I don't know what happens if you remove a mod that you're not high level enough to be able to craft, though - you might be unable to re-apply the mod if you don't have the skills for it.

The level 1 CHA trade perk at max lets you invest in shops so they have more caps, but so far my method is just to sell anything that happens to be in my inventory at the time I encounter a vendor.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think its too early for anyone really to say if the game is bad or good. I am enjoying it.

I think some of the frustration comes from just how different it feels. I am definitely not having the same experience I had with New Vegas for example.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fans posted:

Is there a way to equip people in your settlement? I give them stuff but they don't seem to give much of a poo poo about it.

For that matter is there a way to get your companions to wear the armor you give them?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Gonkish posted:

So fyi, you can totally tell dogmeat to go look for some loot in vault 111 and if you're near the cryolater he will grab it despite it being locked in the case.

So enjoy that.

Good dog.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

ymgve posted:

Took a while before I figured this out: When you modify a gun, the existing mod (if any) gets turned into an item and is placed in a separate pane in your inventory. These mods can then be applied to other guns of the same class. Warning: I don't know what happens if you remove a mod that you're not high level enough to be able to craft, though - you might be unable to re-apply the mod if you don't have the skills for it.

The level 1 CHA trade perk at max lets you invest in shops so they have more caps, but so far my method is just to sell anything that happens to be in my inventory at the time I encounter a vendor.

Thank you, so would you say I should be selling my guns and not junking them? I know there is lots of junk in the world so I wasn't sure if caps would come in handy I heard ammo is a real son of a bitch so I might invest in the perk that gets you more armmo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This game would also benefit from a fuckton of tutorials. Like, I had to go online to find out you need cooper to make a wire to connect a generator.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just got into a fight with about 15 Super Mutants, 2 of which were legendary.

25 frag grenades later, I emerged victorious.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Raffles posted:

I'm not kidding like 5 minutes so far trying to get outside to get the power armour in like the first mission i wish i was dead

Dude newegg is selling Samsung 850 evos for like $80. It will literally pay for itself in the time you spend not waiting.

^ frag grenades seem OP, and I dont even have any points into explosives

:lol: doing a mission that requires me to sit in a chair to talk with somebody, meaning I have to get out of my power armor just to sit down and talk to this guy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gonkish posted:

So enjoy that.

Dude awesome. I'm going to go do that right the gently caress now.

So I guess telling dogmeat to look for loot is the "putting a basket over the vendor's head" of this game eh? :cheeky: Oh Bethesda, love you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a distinction because it doesn't exist. Never in Fallout has your character been a shell to pour your own motivations into. You're always playing a defined character with plot-dictated motivations. The particulars on how you accomplish those motivations are different (and utterly immaterial since 'How you did it' never gets brought up) but you're still playing someone.

There is no way to play Fallout 1 that doesn't lead to V13 surviving, Arroyo being founded.

You're wrong.

• Locked thread