Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

I never said otherwise, so... yes? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

There's a recurring meme here of people being tricked into voting against their own interests. I'm glad you recognize that this is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

even the most religious and conservative and distrustful of the liberal media republican voter still thinks that calling the pyramids granaries is so loving dumb that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any power at all

You would think that, but there were quite a few polls out last week after he said the pyramid thing, and it didn't even make a dent.

Of course, it is possible that maybe enough time has passed by that more people were exposed to that stuff.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Talmonis posted:

Because groups you irrationally hate receiving the same rights you already enjoy does not effect you in any real way.

Nope. Jim Crow, red lining, the ghetto, police as revenge extraction, operation wetback, immigration quotas, English only education, "woman's work", career wage exemptions, and all the rest were/are public policy for a reason, and it isn't just kicks and giggles. They provide very real economic and social benefits to the privileged group over the other.

That class solidarity provides more benefits than race/ethnic/gender solidarity doesn't mean those don't provide any. The key is getting people to see the greater benefit they stand to gain over the concrete benefit (and cultural attitude) they have now. Welcome to the collective action problem and core problem of organizing

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Literally any belief system can put you in a position to lose something potentially. If you immediately bail you don't actually have any beliefs. "Voting against your own interests" is a lovely argument.

Also. Where can I find a picture of the MU swastika?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys are confusing the definition of "interests."

Definition A: Things that benefit the voter
Definition B: The voter's opinion.

There is a difference between voting against one's interests in terms of economic benefit and voting according to one's opinions.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

You guys are confusing the definition of "interests."

Definition A: Things that benefit the voter
Definition B: The voter's opinion.

There is a difference between voting against one's interests in terms of economic benefit and voting according to one's opinions.

Racism benefits white people. Old white men most definitely.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Racism benefits white people. Old white men most definitely.

That's far from an accepted truth. Maybe if we are talking slavery (even though I've heard slavery was an economic disaster for the South), but racist policies are bad for everyone because they inevitably bring down large groups of people who would otherwise be productive members of the economy and boost things for everyone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

That's far from an accepted truth. Maybe if we are talking slavery (even though I've heard slavery was an economic disaster for the South), but racist policies are bad for everyone because they inevitably bring down large groups of people who would otherwise be productive members of the economy and boost things for everyone.

No, it's true.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know that the people voting on the basis of "who will build a wall to keep Mexicans out and support our hero police like Darren Wilson" are considering their interests (in the way that "voting against their own interests" implies) at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

blue squares posted:

quote:

In Cold War America, homeownership was seen as a means of instilling patriotism, and as a civilizing and anti-radical force. “No man who owns his own house and lot can be a Communist,” claimed William Levitt, who pioneered the modern suburb with the development of the various Levittowns, his famous planned communities. “He has too much to do.”

But the Levittowns were, with Levitt’s willing acquiescence, segregated throughout their early years. Daisy and Bill Myers, the first black family to move into Levittown, Pennsylvania, were greeted with protests and a burning cross. A neighbor who opposed the family said that Bill Myers was “probably a nice guy, but every time I look at him I see $2,000 drop off the value of my house.”

The neighbor had good reason to be afraid. Bill and Daisy Myers were from the other side of John C. Calhoun’s dual society. If they moved next door, housing policy almost guaranteed that their neighbors’ property values would decline.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Joementum posted:

It's more that one of the polls showing him up with Trump was a bit of an outlier.

Things like this are specifically designed to be unreadable to us color-blinds aren't they

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

blue squares posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

That class solidarity provides more benefits than race/ethnic/gender solidarity doesn't mean those don't provide any. The key is getting people to see the greater benefit they stand to gain over the concrete benefit (and cultural attitude) they have now. Welcome to the collective action problem and core problem of organizing

to add in an analogy, mass burning of fossil fuels is absolutely a long run disaster. That doesn't mean it isn't a mass benefit for the short run

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

edit: This take was a little too hot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lotka Volterra posted:

I mean, Barack Obama should be the number 1 example that running a campaign of fear-mongering isn't the best way to motivate at least the segments of the population that vote for Democrats.

You mean Sarah Palin didn't scare large numbers of Left-leaning people into going to the polls and voting for Obama back in '08? Because she did that to a lot of independents. Lots of would-be Republican voters too, if the anecdata is truly representative (I doubt it but it makes for kind of a :smugdog: moment. The party message did jump aggressively rightward soon after).

I know that it's not technically the same thing as the Dems campaigning on 'not being Palin' but it's acknowledged that fear motivated at least part of 2008's turnout. If anything, I guess it's an example of excessive fear-mongering backfiring and sinking a campaign otherwise designed badly to appeal to "most people."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone creating a live thread for the kids table debate?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You mean Sarah Palin didn't scare large numbers of Left-leaning people into going to the polls and voting for Obama back in '08? Because she did that to a lot of independents. Lots of would-be Republican voters too, if the anecdata is truly representative (I doubt it but it makes for kind of a :smugdog: moment. The party message did jump aggressively rightward soon after).

I know that it's not technically the same thing as the Dems campaigning on 'not being Palin' but it's acknowledged that fear motivated at least part of 2008's turnout. If anything, I guess it's an example of excessive fear-mongering backfiring and sinking a campaign otherwise designed badly to appeal to "most people."

If anyone hasn't seen Game Change I highly recommend it. Palin & McCain refused to watch it but all the campaign staff involved who saw the movie said it was very accurate as to how things actually went down.

They had no idea what they were getting into when they decided to run her

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mulva posted:

Is anyone creating a live thread for the kids table debate?

It's just rolled into the main one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the debate thread in case you missed it earlier: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750920

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Crain posted:

It's just rolled into the main one.

Where's the thread? I can't find it.

Huckabee just looked like he was going to launch himself over his podium to choke Bobby Jindal to death.

e: thanks joementum.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Joementum posted:

Here's the debate thread in case you missed it earlier: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750920

Ur da bess

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

suckin dick
bought this office

Change the thread title to this please. Please!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Joementum posted:

In case you've ever wondered what people in Vermont are like, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyIYYFbpOs

This lady looks exactly like my grandmother. Who lives in Vermont.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Usually the best way to get the media all up in your rear end is to tell them they can't be somewhere they can.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Usually the best way to get the media all up in your rear end is to tell them they can't be somewhere they can.

Reverse psychmology

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

That lady yelling at the camera is a journalism professor, isn't she? I remember hearing that somewhere. The J-school students/teachers at Mizzou were always the worst, super smug towards everyone else since the journalism school was all we were really known for. Imagine how the most Reddity engineers treat all liberal arts majors, and you have a good idea. So good job lady, you just ruined any chance of this protest making any positive change, the internet and Fox News are never gonna shut up about this.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Except this guy (and many others like him) are probably not gonna live until the next election, so....

You might not know just how right you are :smith:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/11/boomers-deaths-pnas/413971/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b2a7_story.html

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Huckabee said that there hasn't been wage growth in the past 40 years.

40 years?

But...who was president 40 years ago? :O

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That lady yelling at the camera is a journalism professor, isn't she? I remember hearing that somewhere. The J-school students/teachers at Mizzou were always the worst, super smug towards everyone else since the journalism school was all we were really known for. Imagine how the most Reddity engineers treat all liberal arts majors, and you have a good idea. So good job lady, you just ruined any chance of this protest making any positive change, the internet and Fox News are never gonna shut up about this.

She's in the Communications department. Here's some of her research.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

Huckabee said that there hasn't been wage growth in the past 40 years.

40 years?

But...who was president 40 years ago? :O

Ford :v:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drat, its seems I can't do math.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

Neither can the folks on the television, it's okay.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mr Interweb posted:

If I'm understanding your point correctly, would it matter? St. Reagan would fall within those 40 years.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Joementum posted:

She's in the Communications department. Here's some of her research.

If any of you read the Political Cartoons thread I'm pretty sure she is the real life Lefty Lisa or whatever that character's name is.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
The whole point of a protest is to force people to pay attention to you. You want the media to cover it so people can't just ignore the issue you care so much about. What, exactly, is the goal if you are throwing reporters out?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Maarek posted:

The whole point of a protest is to force people to pay attention to you. You want the media to cover it so people can't just ignore the issue you care so much about. What, exactly, is the goal if you are throwing reporters out?

The protesters have since admitted it was a dumb idea and invited the media back.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lotka Volterra posted:

If I'm understanding your point correctly, would it matter? St. Reagan would fall within those 40 years.

Eh, the issue is merely being technical, as I said who was president 40 years ago, not who was president within those 40 years.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Maarek posted:

It's an interesting problem, because many reporters are just looking for that one thing they can use to delegitimatize the protest. It might be the same reason you refuse to let James O'Keefe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Who Said It: Donald Trump or White Supremacist from “American History X”?

I got 40%.

foobardog posted:

It's an interesting problem, because many reporters are just looking for that one thing they can use to delegitimatize the protest. It might be the same reason you refuse to let James O'Keefe in.

I'm not sure the reporters trying to get in to the protest had the, shall we say, "reputation" James O'Keefe did, though. Does anyone know anything about the reporter(s) filming?

• Locked thread