Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

so is joining the brotherhood of steel of any consequences?

The game doesn't seem like it locks you out of a lot of stuff, but what happens when I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

My hunger for Adhesives and aluminum is insatiable and I find that its driving all my exploration.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

so is joining the brotherhood of steel of any consequences?

The game doesn't seem like it locks you out of a lot of stuff, but what happens when I do that?

You eventually have to make a choice which will conflict with joining the Brotherhood of Steel (depending on which way you go), but as far as I know it will just set you hostile to them even if you go down that route when it comes up. And there is a warning about it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So what's the incentive to bother with settlement building? I made a tin shack, tried to put some lights in it but when I saw all the electrical generators and switches and relays and all that I'd have to mess around with I just thought "gently caress it" and carried on doing missions.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so is there a fix yet for the amd godray character shadow bug? i like the godrays they add atmosphere and the sky looks kinda dull without them so i am torn here guys.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Madcosby posted:

I like to open every chest, maximize my lockpick and computer skills first, run sidequests only for the loot, shoot random encounters with a sniper rifle from as far as I can, hoard skill books and inventory, and ignore the main quest as long as I can so I can feel like a superpower when I decide it's worth my time.

Should I play this game
[ ] yes [ ] no

Yeah that's basically the core experience, I'm about 15 hours in and I haven't touched the main quest at all, really.

Frankston posted:

So what's the incentive to bother with settlement building? I made a tin shack, tried to put some lights in it but when I saw all the electrical generators and switches and relays and all that I'd have to mess around with I just thought "gently caress it" and carried on doing missions.

You can set up traders who will sell you poo poo with the right charisma perks. Also at a certain point Minutemen patrols start to spawn and will patrol around the wasteland, which can be handy.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

so is there a fix yet for the amd godray character shadow bug? i like the godrays they add atmosphere and the sky looks kinda dull without them so i am torn here guys.
it's also a bug for nvidia cards that are slower than the 980ti, and the only fix is to turn it off

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Madcosby posted:

I like to open every chest, maximize my lockpick and computer skills first, run sidequests only for the loot, shoot random encounters with a sniper rifle from as far as I can, hoard skill books and inventory, and ignore the main quest as long as I can so I can feel like a superpower when I decide it's worth my time.

Should I play this game
[ ] yes [ ] no

yes althoguh the main story is encouraged to push along since you get a lot of exp for the quests and they do a good job for the first few hours at least of just getting you to an area where you can have everything you need as a hub but all the other stuff you can do I have not touched the main story in like 4 hours im just crawling around the top corner getting everything and kiling every person

although to max skills like lockpick and electronic you have to be a certain level, for instance you have to be level 7 to get rank 2 of the locksmith perk so perks are gated in regards to making you capable of doing everything you had asked but the game is fun and its a unique experience you wont find in many other games

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's also a bug for nvidia cards that are slower than the 980ti, and the only fix is to turn it off

dammit. i'll pray it gets fixed in a driver update but im not holding out. i wonder if it will annoy me enough to buy a new graphics card. thanks todd.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Notorious QIG posted:

I found one legendary and it dropped... a piece of left leg armor :shepicide:

... a piece of left leg armor that gives +15% defenses when standing still on an armor piece whose base stats were worse than a raider's in the area. :shepicide:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's a lot easier to kill deathclaws than it was in New Vegas

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Frankston posted:

You have to do a bit (I think, there may be an alternative) for the main quest. Otherwise the only use I've been able to find for it is to generate some resources occasionally (like water) for you to sell or use.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

I haven't seen any benefit at all to settlement building, outside of having a safe space to store poo poo and craft. If you have high CHA and pick up Local Leader, you can set up shops that generate caps and sell you items. Seems pretty dumb for the entire settlement mechanic to be pointless if you don't sink a ton of points into Charisma though. And according to some poster earlier, even with Local Leader the shops hardly make any caps and cost a ton to set up, making them seem like a poor investment anyways.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lemming posted:

because bethesda is afraid to design enemies that will kill you in one hit and their only metric for difficulty is "does it take forever to kill"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there anything neat in kendall hospital other than the loving deathclaw that spawns at the bottom

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Fintilgin posted:

Even knowing my hope was probably futile, I had secretly hoped that Bethesda would take some inspiration from New Vegas and try to add in more role-playing opportunities, non violent quest solutions, and ways of interacting with the world beyond the barrel of your gun.

So far, it feels like a willful rejection of the soul of Fallout that New Vegas tried to recapture. :smith:

Hope is futile in the face of unrelenting stupidity.

For example, Bethesda thinks you love Liberty Prime and slowly walking behind a giant robot.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 11, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If you kill an enemy in power armor, can you take the actual frame? I found a Raider in power armor who I took out but there's no ability to interact with the suit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is this game worth getting if you like everything?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lemming posted:

They were already pretty easy if you didn't run into them at level 1, is it like one headshot with a sniper rifle now or something?

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Could someone please link me to a good character creation guide? I'm trying to figure out my stats.

Also if there are any good tips for optimizing Fallout 4 performance on a low end system that would help too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I've nonviolently resolves two quests so far so :shrug:

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

There's a mining helmet that turns the pipboy light into a flashlight. You can mod the color of the flashlight at the armor workbench too.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm about 12 hours in and I've found I'm having the most fun blasting people in the face with a shotgun. Do any of the gun perks apply to shotguns at all because they seem a bit vague and there's no shotgun surgeon any more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress the haters, I'm having more fun than F3 or NV so far, enjoying all the new systems. Gun crafting and base building are exceptionally cool.

Some guy was asking before, didn't see if you got an answer: YES some weapon mods require both science AND gun nut, such as some scopes for laser rifles. You could definitely go all science and do pretty great, but there are some things in the game you need both for! Very cool.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I really hope the DLC gives some life to the settlement building aspect. I'm not very far into the game but it seems like it's just a thing for people who like Minecraft, which isn't me. Sorry, wasteland sims, you're not giving me cash or weapons and therefore your town is worthless.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Frankston posted:

I'm about 12 hours in and I've found I'm having the most fun blasting people in the face with a shotgun. Do any of the gun perks apply to shotguns at all because they seem a bit vague and there's no shotgun surgeon any more.

the non-automatic rifles perk in perception applies to shotguns i believe

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Yo, does this game have Big Iron in it? If not, is there a mod that adds Big Iron into the songs? This is very important to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

huh

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So if you disarm a legendary humanoid enemy, and they're carrying a special weapon, chances are they'll pull out that instead.
Just had a legendary raider pull out a shotgun that hit me for +50 radiation damage per pellet.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So, uh, can you save scum to get idiot savant to activate?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I only just discovered the pip boy tablet app and holy poo poo this is brilliant for fast travel compared to loving about with the in game menu, or keeping the aid tab open so you can spam healing items.

No loving idea this even existed till someone on my facebook posted it.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Stupid question, but how do I get out of the power armor? I got in the starting mission, but I want to try and get out of it to move faster

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I found a child-sacrificing cult! And they gave me this baby:
:woop: :woop:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

momtartin posted:

Stupid question, but how do I get out of the power armor? I got in the starting mission, but I want to try and get out of it to move faster
hold E while selecting nothing

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
How do you get Paladin Danse as a companion? I've completed The Lost Patrol and now only have radiant quests available from them.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So like a couple peeps have mentioned the settlement stuff isn't really for me, am I missing lots of good quests?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I want to shoot poo poo from afar with rifles. Give me a build and I'll roll with it with my ugly rear end character

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sneaky Fast posted:

So like a couple peeps have mentioned the settlement stuff isn't really for me, am I missing lots of good quests?

No.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Has anyone's player model decided to have his skeleton leave the body for some fresh air? Dunno what happened but I now have some of my insides protruding and interfering with the view in sneaking. Not to mention that it doesn't look very good in third person view either. Reloading doesn't fix it :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have no idea if starting in Survival difficulty was the right thing to do but fuckit I did it.

• Locked thread