Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

3 posted:

To clarify, I didn't mean it was an exact duplicate, I was just hoping for more than just the two front seats for the Imperial Babby Capital; the Anaconda and Corvette both have essentially naval bridges.
Yes but Gutamaya cares about important stuff like allowing a slightly offset captain's chair to still look like it's in the middle due to the exceptionally awesome canopy without support struts :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm gonna drive around and blow up base defense generators and then be like "Boss Orange, it's SHOWTIME!" and a Voice Attack macro will summon my Vulture for air support. Life will be great.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Shine posted:

I'm gonna drive around and blow up base defense generators and then be like "Boss Orange, it's SHOWTIME!" and a Voice Attack macro will summon my Vulture for air support. Life will be great.

Said air support will consist of landing in front of base turrets and exploding.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I can't wait to do bombing runs with my dual C4 PACs and just gently caress poo poo up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Said air support will consist of landing in front of base turrets and exploding.

Metal Gear Solid V has prepared me for this possibility.

"This is Pequod! Hovering over enemy machinegunners!"

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ps am no frog posted:

I can't wait to do bombing runs with my dual C4 PACs and just gently caress poo poo up.
Given how many hardpoints the Anaconda has on the underside of it (1xC4, 1xC3, 2xC1 and the 2xC2s are on the sides and could shoot at stuff underneath it) I would think it will be exceptionally good at flying over bases and providing air support if they end up doing that sort of thing.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Sure it'd probably pretty effective but it's not the same as buzzing the tower and blasting towers with gigantic balls of plasma.

I hope C4 PACs are a thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ps am no frog posted:

They are.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ps am no frog posted:

Sure it'd probably pretty effective but it's not the same as buzzing the tower and blasting towers with gigantic balls of plasma.

They already are, yes. That's the purple blobs that NPC Anacondas shoot at you that take massive chunks out of your shields/hull.

Currently the only C4 weapons are Plasma Accelerators and fixed/gimballed Cannons. We're hoping they'll add more in with Horizons (like Beams and Autocannons).

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ps am no frog posted:

They were the C4s on the Corvette in the reveal :unsmigghh:

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Welp. Show how much I use huge harpoints now. I guess that will change.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Need video of the Cutter now..

This federal boner bullshit is killing my high..

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Hey its high time the feds got a ship that wasn't flawed enough to make it a niche ship.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

LCL-Dead posted:

Need video of the Cutter now..

This federal boner bullshit is killing my high..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLcyPZgY68

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I am re-watching this while listening to Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" and just having a great old time.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
C4 PACs - I will put it this way, in-universe fluff says they use those fuckers for orbital bombardment when called upon. The sound of the plasma blast ripping through the atmosphere is enough to deafen unprotected humans for miles around the impact site.

Also that Cutter and Corvette look both sexy as all gently caress to me. The Cutter will probably follow the Imperial design ethos - powerful engines, a big juicy power plant, enough bays to upgrade the shields a whole class if you want (and the power to run said beefed-up shield generator), paper mache and unicorn farts for hull integrity. If the iEagle, iCourier and iclipper are any indication, it's also going to be sliding around like a Tokyo Drift reject.

It is going to be awesome. :getin:

Meanwhile, I wanted to write something quick and short but gently caress it I can't write short for the life of me when it comes to internet spaceships - have a huge :words: effortpost!

OK tadpoles, gather up.

Let's talk about ships.

Specifically, let's talk about the Diamondback Scout.

Now, people who've been playing and making money for longer will talk about Vultures and Clippers, Assault Ships and Pythons - sure, we're talking about big expensive powerful ships. You, though - you've maybe gotten yourself into a Viper or the like, and you're wondering how to go from there. Maybe you've managed to scrounge up your first million, or had a friendly frog drop you a cargo of platinum or holyshit painite you've never seen so much money in one place, and you want to upgrade. You want something that can go fast and far, packs a solid punch, and won't mind carrying a couple of tons of cargo every now and then.

You want the Lakon Diamondback Scout.

Now hold on, I hear you saying. This Viper I have (been looking at) has the same exact guns on it. As does that Cobra, and the Cobra-3 is cheaper to boot..

You're right, but while the three designs are similar in certain respects - same hardpoints, named after snakes, all that lark - there're some differences.

The Viper is the cheapest of the three. It's fast, it's mean, it packs a hell of a wallop for something its size and has surprisingly sturdy shields, but it's got a tiny fuel tank and an undersized power generator and frameshift drive. I love flying the Viper, but as soon as you start thinking of heading 50+ light years out.. not that hot. No finer cheap shooty ship for popping into that RES the next orbit over every now and then, though.

And the Cobra.. ah, the Cobra. She's a workhorse, that one, about three times the price of the Viper. You have the same amount of guns, beefier systems, spacy internal bays - she doesn't have the shield strength of the Viper and her guns are positioned kinda weird, but she does have a sturdy armor, a big fuel tank and a solid FSD. You can easily fit a Cobra to carry 40-odd tons of cargo while packing a respectable punch for a ship costing about half a million or so - if you want to carry cargo from A to B and the dedicated freighter ships feel too undefended for you, the Cobra's a good choice. Also good for fitting a couple of aux fuel tanks and a scoop on and going exploring.

However, the Diamondback. At a half mil or so base, she's the most expensive of the three. At first glance she looks like a compromise between the Viper and the Cobra - and that's pretty much exactly what she is, with a distinct identity of her own.

First off, most her systems are on par with the Viper's, with the critical generator, thrusters, FSD and fuel tank upgraded to Cobra spec. She's a little bit lighter than the Cobra, but has similar shield and armor profiles - a sturdy hull and okay-ish shields. Same hardpoints as the other two, too. A little bit more internal space than the Viper, nowhere near as much as the Cobra.

I'm not going to mince words. The Diamondback-S is about as fast as a Cobra, more nimble, and it's got a beautiful weapon convergence - though it has theoretically similar firepower to the Viper and Cobra, the Diamondback in practice has its guns positioned better for it to bring them to bear (an infamous hurdle for the Cobra) and the power ratings to actually drive all four guns at the same time for extended periods (which can be an issue with the Viper). It has weaker shields than the Viper, sure, but fully upgraded it actually surpasses the Cobra a little bit when it comes to shield ratings while remaining a smaller, more nimble target (the Cobra's wide flat pancake ventral/dorsal profile does it no favors in a dogfight). Granted, the Viper is smaller and tends to make a more difficult target to hit in the first place, but you're built to be able to take a couple of licks and keep on swinging. You also have four utility hardpoints instead of two, which can directly increase your endurance further via extra shield boosters, point defense modules or whatnot.

Furthermore, although the DBS starts off more expensive than the Cobra, when fully upgraded it actually ends up about a million cheaper - mostly because the Cobra has to rock around a class-4 shield generator over the DBS' class-3 model. Being more lightweight with an equivalent frameshift range gives birth to the Diamondbacks' greatest benefit - it has flat-out superior frameshift range to either of its competitors. A halfway fit Diamondback can easily hit 15-20 LY per jump, while a fully A-rated model reaches something like 25 LY per jump (and a travel-fit lightweight model, stripped down, can do thirty). It can also do six or so of these jumps in one go before needing a refill. This combination of solid firepower and extensive travel range (with or without carrying a couple of tons of cargo while at it) is what makes the Diamondback a solid ship in my eyes - a Cobra or Viper can be configured for combat, travel or light courier work as necessary, but a Diamondback-S can do all three at the same time.

Put together, these features make the Diamondback a particularly solid ship in your early career - you're not bound to a particular system, you're free to move where missions or whims take you, and you don't need to spend time and money refitting your ship everytime you want to switch roles. It is, also, a very, very fun and deadly ship to fly - a solid enough punch paired with a small, nimble chassis to make it difficult target for larger ships to actually hit. It is particularly valuable for a player who does plenty of long-range traveling, or quick strike ops - you don't have to choose between a speedy travel ship and a solid hitter when your fighter is your speedy get-over-there ship. About the only thing it can't do earlygame is carry large amounts of cargo, but that's what the Cobra and later the Lakon-T6 are for. It's also outgunned by larger combat ships like the Vulture and the Fer-de-Lance, but seeing as those cost literally ten and a hundred times as much as the humble DBS does..

Those of you interested in PVP may also appreciate knowing that properly fit Diamondback may also pull the role of a stealth fighter - I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of stealth design myself, but those who are, please feel free to chip in.

Weapon Options

The way the Diamondback's hardpoints are configured - right around the cockpit, tightly clustered - paired with its high maneuverability makes the Diamondback particularly suited for fixed weapons, while limiting your fire arcs to the back and sides of the ship. Turreted weapons aren't as effective as you might like to be - although let's face it, those are mostly intended for big fat slow ships anyhow. I tend to prefer a couple of fixed laser beams paired with gimbaled kinetics, but nothing prevents you from going the other way if you're confident with your aim.

That in mind, some tried-and-true weapons configurations as follows:

2x C1 Beam Laser, 2x C2 multicannons - the quintessential cookie-cutter bounty-hunter. High endurance, high efficiency - down a target's shields with the lasers and chew up their hull with multicannons. Has ammo for hours of fun, but tends to have trouble damaging ships bigger than itself. Really best for mincing up ships about its size and smaller.

2x C1 Beam Laser, 2x C2 Cannon - the big boy bounty hunter. Big bore howitzers increase your oomph against larger ships - particularly when targeting subsystems - but limit your effectiveness against smaller targets. Little nimble ships like the Eagle and iCourier in particular will disintegrate if you can hit them, but will make you work for it.

2x C2 Pulse/Burst Laser, 2x C1 Multicannon/Cannon - Switching your main guns to lasers and using class-1 kinetics ups your oomph against shields and makes you less reliant on ammunition at the cost of reduced output vs. hull. Be aware that the power distributor can't really handle a pair of C2 beams, thus the pulses or bursts. Really have trouble swinging against anything bigger than, say, an Asp.

2x C1 Beam Laser, 2x C2 Railgun - The flying sniper build. Though limited in ammo, your railguns are effective versus both shields and hull and excel at sniping out subsystems on larger ships - cracking shield generators, neutering drive arrays and smashing power plants. Your ammo pool is extremely limited, but you're perfectly capable of outright crippling targets much, much larger than yourself. Consider mounting a heat sink launcher to dissipate the railguns' excessive waste heat.

2x C1 Pulse Laser, 2x C2 Plasma Accelerator - The Plasmaback. This build flies much like the 'heavy bounty hunter' ship, with fixed main guns and a much, much higher heat output/power demand. What you get in return are main guns that are also effective against shields and with superior per-shot damage and armor penetration (subsystem damage) compared to the kinetic cannons. The power distributor, however, can have trouble keeping up with the PACs - thus the low-heat backup pulse lasers. Remember to let your weapons cool down a bit between shots, or you'll end up firing only one PAC at a time.

2x C1 Beam Laser, 2x C2 Dumbfire Missile Rack - Diamondback-K (Kermit Edition). Although missiles were nerfed to be near-ineffective against shields in an earlier patch, dumbfires still remain one of the fastest way at utterly savaging an unshielded hull - targeting subsystems in particular lets you swing a fair amount above your own weight. Your ammunition, however, is expensive (250 credits per warhead) and your ammo pool is fairly limited - this build isn't really effective at long bounty hunting RES runs, but can give you that needed extra edge on an assassination mission.

2x C1 Beam Laser, 2x C2 Seeker Missile Rack - Dogfighter supreme. Seeker missiles are in sort of an odd spot right now - they're effectively negated by shields, point defense turrets and ECM pulsers.. therefore nobody uses seeker missiles. Therefore, nobody uses point defense turrets or ECM pulsers. This build is extremely effective against other fighters - particularly the lighter, more nimble ones - as long as they're not prepared against missiles. If they're loaded up with point defense, you're effectively stuck with two beam lasers. If they're not carrying point defense, they're about to have a Very Bad Day. Has a psychological effect in PVP - most pubbies tend to panic when the :frogsiren: WARNING - INBOUND MISSILE :frogsiren: pops up. Unless they're the ultraparanoid type like yours truly who feels the need to mount at least two point defense modules on everything, up to and including the freaking outhouse. The downside is that your ammo is even more expensive (500 CR per warhead, yo) and your ammo reserves are even tighter than with dumbfires. This crosses into the realm of the outright hilarious if you can get your hands on those Pack Hunter swarmer missile racks from Li-whats-his-face.

2x C1 Torpedo Pylon, 2x C2 Burst Laser - Loaded for battleship. Even more so than the two regular missile builds, this thing is pretty much the definition of throwing money at a problem to make it go away. Each one of your warheads costs 15K, and you don't carry reloads, period - you pull the trigger once (or twice) and you're done. Again, this isn't really effective for general play, but it's nasty as living gently caress against single big targets, like that pirate lord Anaconda or pubbie autism king with the 250K bounty on him - down the shields with lasers, target the shield generator or power plant, get close and give them a two-kiloton slap on the rear end. Be aware that torpedoes are noticeably slower than seeker missiles - although you can't outrun one of these (unless you're in a Viper or the like, at extreme ranges, and already burning like a motherfucker) the more range you have to your target, the more time they have to shoot your torps down. If your target is packing point defense, you need to pretty much get your nose up their grill before you pull the trigger. Oh, and do yourself a favor and make double-sure the torps are in a fire group you won't trigger accidentally - if you have one of those coolass joysticks with the flip-top guard over a fire button, that's what you want to go for. Torpedoes still do explosive damage and are mostly negated by shields, and nothing sucks more than splashing 30K worth of ordnance on some pubbie's shields. Why C1 torpedo pylons? C2s carry twice the torps but leave you with piddling C1 lasers against heavy shields. On the other hand, if you can convince a wing of goons to fly with you..

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Don't forget that once you move up to a Vulture, you can keep the DBS and turn it into a Spooky Invisible Railgun PvP ship.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

DBS conclusion: This ship fucks.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I have a couple of newbie questions.

1) What are stealth builds and what makes them different from normal builds? What does stealthing actually do? Is it something that you only really do in pvp or do you use it in PvE too? The builds were mentioned in the OP but I couldn't find anything specific on stealth.

2) What is pvp like in this game? Is that the CQC that I've seen mentioned, or do you mean hunting down other players in open mode?

3) In the newbie ship progression guide linked in the OP I saw several references to power management. I got an eagle yesterday that I started to upgrade where I can afford it. I honestly just aim my weapons at dudes in space and shoot them without giving it much thought, they die a hell of a lot quicker than they did when I was plinking away at them in my stock sidewinder. Are there any specific tricks to power management I should know about, or some habits I should work on learning from the get go?

The joystick I ordered will hopefully be here by tonight and I an ridiculously excited! This post ended up being longer than I planned, but game is the most fun I've had in space in a long time! :3:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

1.) Stealth should be addressed by someone else better equipped than me, but

2.) Pvp kinda sucks outside of the cqc deal because people can easily disengage from it. High waking is the term used; you lock on to any star within jump range and it will disregard the mass lock from ships and let you get the hell out.

3.) You want to get familiar with power management. Not only is it adjusting power from shields to weapons or engines, which increases effectiveness of those systems, but also turning modules not in use off to give you extra power to run setups outside of your power plant ability. For example, you don't need your cargo hatch powered in combat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

forkbucket posted:

3) In the newbie ship progression guide linked in the OP I saw several references to power management. I got an eagle yesterday that I started to upgrade where I can afford it. I honestly just aim my weapons at dudes in space and shoot them without giving it much thought, they die a hell of a lot quicker than they did when I was plinking away at them in my stock sidewinder. Are there any specific tricks to power management I should know about, or some habits I should work on learning from the get go?

Power management refers to ships that don't have enough juice to power every single system and weapon simultaneously. You'll know if this is an issue because deploying your guns will result in your computer saying that your power plant capacity has been exceeded, and a bunch of poo poo will suddenly turn off. I believe the Viper is the first ship to really force you to deal with this, but you could run into it on an Eagle with A-class components and a shield bank or two.

For example, my Vulture's power plant has a capacity of 15.6, but its components require a total of 17.36, so I can't have everything powered at once. Without any manual power management from me, deploying my weapons will overload my power plant and it will shut off components to free up power. Power management allows you to prioritize your ship's systems so that you can decide what gets shut off when your weapons are deployed, so that your computer doesn't do something stupid like depower your shields and life support. To do this, you set the priorities of various systems using the Modules tab of your ship's right panel so that only nonessential equipment automatically depowers when you deploy your guns.

Number 1 is the highest priority. Lower numbers are the lowest priority. When the power plant is overloaded, it will depower the lowest priority, and if necessary, the next lowest.

To keep things simple, you only need to use two priorities (1 and 2), with non-combat modules (fuel scoop, cargo scoop, explorer scanners, etc.) at priority 2. That way only those will depower when you deploy your hardpoints.

You can get more granular with it if you want, using up to 5 levels of priority. Using up to 5 will let you prioritize what stays on if you are losing a fight badly and your power plant is getting shot up, which reduces its capacity. Here's my Vulture's power configuration, for example:

This was made with the very handy Coriolis site. The "RET" column shows what systems are active when my hardpoints are retracted. The "DEP" column shows what is active when they are deployed. As you can see, the depowered items are not necessary for combat, and I disable the cargo scoop entirely because I only use Boss Orange to murder things. I use 5 power priorities so that if I am losing badly and my power plant is getting shot up (which reduces its capacity), the computer will shut off things like my warrant scanner and chaff launchers before it shuts off my shields or thrusters. My FSD is a low priority because it's not needed for combat, and if I have to escape with a shot-up power plant then I'll manually change it to priority 1. Also, I set the life support to a pretty low priority, so that if I'm in combat and my life support suddenly goes out, I'll know my power plant is taking damage and it's time to run.

If you ever want to be super fancy, then you can also pull off some more advanced tricks to allow you to carry, for example, a bunch of shield cell banks. They are power-hungry, but you can manually power and depower them one at a time so that they don't all drain your plant at once, and/or set them to be active only when you retract hardpoints, so you would use them by putting your guns away for a moment. Or if you have shield booster modules, you can manually depower them if your shields go down, so that it won't take as long for your shields to come back online (the higher your total shield capacity, the longer it takes for your shields to reactive from empty).

You don't have to worry about poo poo like that for now, though. Just know that when your computer starts bitching about power plant capacity, you'll want to set your cargo scoop and other non-combat poo poo to priority 2. By the time you get a Vulture or other endgame ship, you'll have the hang of it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Drake_263 posted:

The Cutter will probably follow the Imperial design ethos - powerful engines, a big juicy power plant, enough bays to upgrade the shields a whole class if you want (and the power to run said beefed-up shield generator), paper mache and unicorn farts for hull integrity.
I don't know if they actually have a design ethos other than "looks real pretty, goes real fast". The Courier's really the only one with a paper hull (though it's still better than the Viper and not that much worse than a DBS/Cobra), but it more than makes up for it with the shields. The iEagle is actually significantly sturdier overall than the non-imperial version (granted, that's not saying a ton), and a stock Clipper actually beats out the Python and can match a stock Anaconda when using military hull.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
That is really helpful info on power management! Thanks for the responses guys. Do you guys also tinker with the power distribution in combat? I'm thinking of the thing in the bottom right corner, default arrow keys iirc. It seems a bit fiddly and I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. Is it also something that applies more to power hungry late game ships?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

forkbucket posted:

That is really helpful info on power management! Thanks for the responses guys. Do you guys also tinker with the power distribution in combat? I'm thinking of the thing in the bottom right corner, default arrow keys iirc. It seems a bit fiddly and I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. Is it also something that applies more to power hungry late game ships?

Distribution as in eng/sys/wep stuff, you'll absolutely want to get used to twiddling in combat. Sys affects shield recharge rate, Wep is weapons recharge rage, and Eng is how fast you go and how frequently you can boost, so chances are good that the power distribution buttons will be your most-fiddled-with mid-combat than literally anything else.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Eng also impacts your ability to turn.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

forkbucket posted:

As with many things in this game, you can get by okay ignoring it, but as you start messing with it and getting used to it you'll discover how useful it can be. Cranking up my shield and weapon pips when I'm hugging an Anaconda's rear end lets me shrug off its small turret fire while I melt it with near-continuous laser fire. Increasing engine pips makes it easier to fight fast ships or disengage from combat.

I make it a bit easier by using voice-activated macros that set the pips to configurations I use regularly.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Distribution as in eng/sys/wep stuff, you'll absolutely want to get used to twiddling in combat. Sys affects shield recharge rate, Wep is weapons recharge rage, and Eng is how fast you go and how frequently you can boost, so chances are good that the power distribution buttons will be your most-fiddled-with mid-combat than literally anything else.

From what I've read, sys affects only the strength of your shields, not their recharge rate.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

From what I've read, sys affects only the strength of your shields, not their recharge rate.

I don't know if it affects strength, but it's pretty easy to check out it's effect on recharge rate-- just turn off your shields, drop Sys to 0 pips, turn your shields back on, and watch them drain your "SYS" power bar. As soon as it's empty, your shields will stop regenerating if they're off, and freeze at whatever state if you do the same thing once they're online.

Obviously if you can get away with having a constantly-full power bar with 2 pips there's not a whole lot of reason to drop more than that into them, but I imagine that varies by ship, shield class, and rank.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Parallelwoody posted:

DBS conclusion: This ship fucks.

Whoa now!

Oh wait you said fucks

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

I don't know if it affects strength, but it's pretty easy to check out it's effect on recharge rate-- just turn off your shields, drop Sys to 0 pips, turn your shields back on, and watch them drain your "SYS" power bar. As soon as it's empty, your shields will stop regenerating if they're off, and freeze at whatever state if you do the same thing once they're online.

Obviously if you can get away with having a constantly-full power bar with 2 pips there's not a whole lot of reason to drop more than that into them, but I imagine that varies by ship, shield class, and rank.
To expand on this, shield recharge always maxes at 1 MJ/s, so if your distributor charges your SYS power at 1 pop faster than your shield drains, there's no reason to put more pips into SYS for shield recharge since it won't go faster. Like Shine I also read that more pips strengthens your shield and makes it take less damage though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Chrysophylax posted:

I don't think big ships need to have weaknesses like this. Why shouldn't big guns on a big ship dunk on ships that cost thousands of times less than it? This isn't even the sort of tryhard PVP game where 'balance' is any sort of issue. This is an honest question.

Because it would be totally unrealistic garbage, and any SpaceNavy would just stock large unkillable ships

Literally zero (0) successful space games (tbh I can't think of an unsuccessful one but whatever) have this be a thing. It's always tradeoffs. Otherwise the poopsockers are completely untouchable and that's even only fun for 5% of those people.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sys affects shield recharge rate,

FFS no it doesn't stop saying it does.

The ONLY time more pips to sys will increase your shield recharge rate is if you sys capacitor is empty and isn't being fed enough cap to keep up with the shields.

All shields max out at 1mj per second, once you get past the viper most ships can keep their sys capacitor full with just 1 pip to shields.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Astroniomix posted:

FFS no it doesn't stop saying it does.

The ONLY time more pips to sys will increase your shield recharge rate is if you sys capacitor is empty and isn't being fed enough cap to keep up with the shields.

All shields max out at 1mj per second, once you get past the viper most ships can keep their sys capacitor full with just 1 pip to shields.

Which is to say: the better your shields the more painful it is to recharge. Anaconda is what, 20 minutes with BIS?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Which is to say: the better your shields the more painful it is to recharge. Anaconda is what, 20 minutes with BIS?

Turn off your shield boosters so the shields come back up faster (shields come back online after they have recharged to a certain percentage of their maximum strength) and then turn them on when they come back online, then dump whatever SCBs you have left into them, if any.

But yes, it's awful and if either the corvette or cutter have better shields than the anaconda......

Also holy loving poo poo ursine put 4 pips to sys if you're getting hammered, it DOES increase their damage resistance, don't sit there and face tank a disco conda with just 2 pips to sys.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Astroniomix posted:

Also holy loving poo poo ursine put 4 pips to sys if you're getting hammered, it DOES increase their damage resistance, don't sit there and face tank a disco conda with just 2 pips to sys.

Good to know, although my usual response to disco conda is "run the gently caress away", soooo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Astroniomix posted:

To expand on this, not only does it increase damage resistance, it's not even increased at a constant gradual rate. Having 4 pips in sys dramatically increases protection over even just 3 pips, let alone 2 or 1.

Edit:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 11, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

To expand on this, not only does it increase damage resistance, it's not even increased at a constant gradual rate. Having 4 pips in sys dramatically increases protection over even just 3 pips, let alone 2 or 1.

Edit:

Well gently caress.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

forkbucket posted:

This has already been answered, but I just wanted to stress for new folks make sure your power distribution buttons are somewhere very convenient to use. You should be learning to constantly be changing the distribution on the fly depending on whats going on in that second during combat.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The best way to manage power is probably to purchase Voice Attack and set up some goofy phrases to yell constantly during a fight.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I actually created macros to autmatically shift to 4 pips in one option and 1 pip in the other 2 options with a single button press. It's much nicer than playing DDR with my hat switch constantly, and I actually switch power during combat more often since it's not such a bear.

You could get spergier with macros for other pip splits like 4-2-0, but 4-1-1 seems pretty sufficient in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Mercurius posted:

Given how many hardpoints the Anaconda has on the underside of it (1xC4, 1xC3, 2xC1 and the 2xC2s are on the sides and could shoot at stuff underneath it) I would think it will be exceptionally good at flying over bases and providing air support if they end up doing that sort of thing.

Which is practical but how much cooler would it be if air support flew in upside down with top-loaded hardpoints blasting away?

*cue Danger Zone*

• Locked thread