Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Maybe each of the estates should have a pool of leaders you can use, but each one you use adds influence/power to their estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Instant stack wipes are the best. No manpower loss for you, huge losses for them. Every general should aim for them wherever possible.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So my TO game crashed and burned. I made the dumb mistake of being too greedy lusting after Prussian ideas, and I converted to Protestantism way way too early, in the 1520s I think, when only two of my provinces were Protestant and there were only a handful of small German OPMs and 2PMs that were Protestant to begin with. Then a Reform CoR popped up in my capital. And all this was after a big brutal revanchist war against an insanely powerful Denmark/Emporer Bohemia. Then my truce with Bohemia wore off. Then Bohemia DoWed me. Then I shoved that Ironman save in a dark corner and I will never look at it again.

Just a mess of a game.

People who have done TO -> Prussia before, when do you usually convert? I know converting so early on was a big big mistake and I've learned my lesson, but what's usually the sweet spot?

Also, I really like the Protestant mechanics but I don't think I'll be trying a TO game again for a bit, what's another good potential *interesting* Protestant power?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

quadrophrenic posted:

So my TO game crashed and burned. I made the dumb mistake of being too greedy lusting after Prussian ideas, and I converted to Protestantism way way too early, in the 1520s I think, when only two of my provinces were Protestant and there were only a handful of small German OPMs and 2PMs that were Protestant to begin with. Then a Reform CoR popped up in my capital. And all this was after a big brutal revanchist war against an insanely powerful Denmark/Emporer Bohemia. Then my truce with Bohemia wore off. Then Bohemia DoWed me. Then I shoved that Ironman save in a dark corner and I will never look at it again.

Just a mess of a game.

People who have done TO -> Prussia before, when do you usually convert? I know converting so early on was a big big mistake and I've learned my lesson, but what's usually the sweet spot?

Also, I really like the Protestant mechanics but I don't think I'll be trying a TO game again for a bit, what's another good potential *interesting* Protestant power?

Sweden. Could shoot for the Sweden achievements too. Anyone though, really.

Getting the Reform centre was really bad luck. I usually convert after the protestant centres have been handed out to maximize coverage, but that's obviously predicated on the ability to convert everything myself. Who were your allies? Bohemia being emperor is usually a boon, because you can leverage Austria against them and they are usually a much weaker emperor than Austria.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Tsyni posted:

Sweden. Could shoot for the Sweden achievements too. Anyone though, really.

Getting the Reform centre was really bad luck. I usually convert after the protestant centres have been handed out to maximize coverage, but that's obviously predicated on the ability to convert everything myself. Who were your allies? Bohemia being emperor is usually a boon, because you can leverage Austria against them and they are usually a much weaker emperor than Austria.

Austria, Hungary, Muscovy, LO

LO was kind of a PITA, because they kept dragging me into wars against Denmark at inappropriate times (Denmark had "Conquer Osel" for most of the campaign) but otherwise it was the perfect alliance setup and I'm kinda bummed I hosed it up so carelessly. Muscovy helped to keep Poland/Lith at bay and helped a bit during wars versus Denmark, and Austria/Hungary was a big help against the aforementioned Denmark/Bohemia reconquests.

In my defense, the reason I converted so early was because I had full Religious and I knew the conversion would be short (and it was, though rough), my big mistake was doing it only a couple months after coming off the big war.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

quadrophrenic posted:

Convert ASAP. You get mundo missionary strength from converting, which you can use to speed through your high development provinces. It'll also keep you from getting a reformed center of reformation. Converting a catholic country to protestant shouldn't take very long, especially as the TO.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Remind me, if I convert from Reformed to Protestant do I get the missionary strength as well or is it just for the first conversion?

I switched to Reformed in my Provence game because I hadn't played reformed since the new protestant mechanics, but the protestant league went and won the religious war so if I want to do anything in the HRE I'll have to convert.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Poil posted:

Got started as Bengal and didn't declare a suicidal war right at the start and I've been looking at what idea groups to get. Obviously Admin but Humanist look like it would stack really nicely with the national ideas. But I've no idea what diplo groups to get. Exploration is pretty strong but it's also pretty boring after picked it up every single time I've started outside Europe and most times I played in the glorious western tech group. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, why does Bengal only have 25% religious unity despite that 100% of their provinces follow the same religion? :v:

Isn't that how it usually ends?

Bengal is in a great position to open with Exploration. You can absolutely get colonial range to the Spice Islands before DIP 7 and after that you can race the Europeans and likely meet them somewhere on the West coast of Africa, locking them out of Asia for most of the game and giving you easy access to Westernization. Obviously you could pick something else but nothing will give you as much in returns

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007

genericnick posted:

Meh. Polish ideas aren't all that much weaker. Also you can enforce lots of PUs with elective Monarchie which I think you loose if you form Prussia?

When i did this, i had a Prussian Elective Monarchy. And since you are no longer the PLC, you cannot lose it by event.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good way to prevent an ally from getting called into a war against you?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good way to prevent an ally from getting called into a war against you?

Make sure they are fighting alongside you in another war.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Make sure it's just a little war though.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Knights here, vassaled Morroco in an opportunistic war and took Haha from them to jumpstart a colony in Bermuda, sold Haha to Portgual for much-needed colonization money, and now am picking up the small islands of the Caribbean.

My question is about moving my colony to the new world. If I moved it to the Caribbean and started colonizing around the US would that turn into a colonial nation eventually or would my capital being in the Caribbean stop that from happening?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I assume you mean moving your capital. For a nation in a colonial region, you prevent starting colonial nations if your capital is on the same continent, or if your capital has a direct land connection to the provinces that would form the nation. This means that if your capital is on Cuba, you can colonize all of North America directly, but going into SA will start a colonial nation.

Interesting trivia: an independent Colombia which doesn't have a connection through the isthmus will break off the half without its capital into a Colombian Colombia.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

uhhhh i think this relationship isn't going to last long

EDIT: Move your capital to a central american province that is technically in North America. Then you can colonize all of NA and all of SA as long as you maintain a land connection.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

You really need Bohemia to pick up the Imperial crown in the first couple months. Then you can join pretty much with exactly what you start with.

Because they have a Czech culture group that matches Polish, so I have a 200 total development threshold instead of 100?

If that's true, that's a great idea...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Because they have a Czech culture group that matches Polish, so I have a 200 total development threshold instead of 100?

If that's true, that's a great idea...

Yep this exactly

imo it is not worth it to sell a bunch of provinces to duck under 100 development and get Austria to let you in, that hugely cripples your early game. Just help Brohemia get elected and keep yourself under 200 development until they win and you can add yourself.

My last Poland game Bohemia didn't luck into the HRE emperorship early on, but I kept my Poland under 200 development and sure enough within a few decades (and with a little bit of my help) Austria lost the crown to Bohemia and I hopped in no problem.

Edit: you only need Danzig (also for Westernization) and Marienburg off the TO, give most of the rest to Lithuania. If you're playing tryhard Poland, feel free to just stuff Lithuania full as long as they're not over 100% OE. Grab Danzig and Marienburg off TO, vassalize LO (hand them Riga). You have to buy +1 stability to form the union with Lithuania, I use that to break the March with Moldavia and start improving relations so you can integrate them. They're alright but not worth keeping around long term or feeding because they have slightly toxic cores.

I think it's way more feasible to sell maybe a couple of provinces and do your normal early game expansion (feeding a lot to Lithuania) while staying under 200 until Bohemia can get elected

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 11, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LLSix posted:

Instant stack wipes are the best. No manpower loss for you, huge losses for them. Every general should aim for them wherever possible.

Getting stack-wiped isn't as much of a loss as you might think; you instantly receive half of the total manpower of the wiped stack. If you've got the money and you aren't sieged all to hell, a stack wipe is little more than a speed bump in a war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MrChips posted:

Getting stack-wiped isn't as much of a loss as you might think; you instantly receive half of the total manpower of the wiped stack. If you've got the money and you aren't sieged all to hell, a stack wipe is little more than a speed bump in a war.

Depends. It can take quite a few months to recruit and assemble a new army, and in the meantime you have that many fewer stacks to fight off sieges etc.

I generally agree stack wipes aren't a big deal for large nations with lots of strategic depth but if you're smaller they hurt a ton.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GreyPowerVan posted:

uhhhh i think this relationship isn't going to last long

I see your bet and raise it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

quadrophrenic posted:

Just a mess of a game.

Once you don't need Austria/the HRE in your corner anymore for survival it is safe to convert. Converting is great for you internally and makes your country stronger but it can be a death sentence if it geopolitically isolates you. Which it sounds like you learned. Its rarely a good idea to be the first big country to convert, but you should do it as soon as you can't have your back broken by other countries for doing so.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I run into something new, I lost 20k manpower due to bad military access/exile rules.
In my Ottoman game I was fully occupying the Timurids, who were already split in two by Baluchistan and Taberstan, to get to the other half of their lands I needed military access from neighbours. After I was done and had them fully occupied I gave orders to move my 4 stacks back to Iraq for my next war. I made peace and went on to check some stuff in the Balkans.
After a while I see my manpower is down to 24k and I start wondering what is going on, then I see it, my 4 stacks stuck in loving Baluchistan mountains, on top of each other with huge attrition. So try to move them away? No luck nobody around there except Baluchistan likes me enough to give me access, I can't cancel access from Baluchistan since I still have troops there. So my stacks are stuck there without any possible path back home.

Basically the exile mechanics that keep loving me over every time they can didn't even do their actual job of getting troops back home after a war. I am sure next time I am fighting in the HRE and moving troops trough neutral territory from one target to the next and DoW someone in Asia they'll get exiled again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tahirovic posted:

I run into something new, I lost 20k manpower due to bad military access/exile rules.
In my Ottoman game I was fully occupying the Timurids, who were already split in two by Baluchistan and Taberstan, to get to the other half of their lands I needed military access from neighbours. After I was done and had them fully occupied I gave orders to move my 4 stacks back to Iraq for my next war. I made peace and went on to check some stuff in the Balkans.
After a while I see my manpower is down to 24k and I start wondering what is going on, then I see it, my 4 stacks stuck in loving Baluchistan mountains, on top of each other with huge attrition. So try to move them away? No luck nobody around there except Baluchistan likes me enough to give me access, I can't cancel access from Baluchistan since I still have troops there. So my stacks are stuck there without any possible path back home.

Basically the exile mechanics that keep loving me over every time they can didn't even do their actual job of getting troops back home after a war. I am sure next time I am fighting in the HRE and moving troops trough neutral territory from one target to the next and DoW someone in Asia they'll get exiled again.

That sucks, but I don't understand the problem? Your troops were going through territory they have access in when the war ended, right? So they wouldn't get exile status.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I had a little trouble following it too, but I think that's the problem? They were in friendly territory when the war ended so they didn't get exile status and now they can't move through the hostile territory to get home.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yep that's the problem, funny enough the moment you declare a new war all your troops in neutral territory where you do have access go into exile mode. So it always works against you and doesn't really make sense.
But yeah you can get troops stuck like this and your only way out is to declare a new war, hope you like attrition and didn't want to position troops before your war.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bel Monte posted:

Speaking of, which countries would folks say are the best at conversion? Doesn't have to be Christianity, but best ones for going on a crusade?

Najd gets +5%(!!) from their traditions, plus an extra missionary from their NIs. Then you have obvious expansion routes to the Holy cities and Jerusalem which each grant a further 2 missionaries. Add 2% from piety and, if you really wanna go the whole hog, 3% from Religious ideas and you can do just about anything in 2 years >.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Allyn posted:

Najd gets +5%(!!) from their traditions, plus an extra missionary from their NIs. Then you have obvious expansion routes to the Holy cities and Jerusalem which each grant a further 2 missionaries. Add 2% from piety and, if you really wanna go the whole hog, 3% from Religious ideas and you can do just about anything in 2 years >.

It's just 2% from traditions now, I'm pretty sure Byzantium now has the top missionary power NI with 3% from their final idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cossacks Release Date: 1 December.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I am more hype for Cossacks than a game that lets you attach rocket engines on cows.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Antti posted:

I am more hype for Cossacks than a game that lets you attach rocket engines on cows.
What we need are Cossacks riding cows with rocket engines.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

:thumbsup:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

This is probably the most exciting expansion yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Wait where did you see this? I don't see an announcement on the forums.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Facebook annoucement.

Edit:https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/Cossacks-Release-Date/

Palleon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 11, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

Yep, Facebook feed.
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/Cossacks-Release-Date/

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
huh, new sprites for the Mongols are conspicuously absent :(

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Ithle01 posted:

I find the best move as Ethiopia is to go South and take all of the Zanzibar node, take exploration as your first idea to colonize the cape and the Philippines simultaneously, and conquer Malacca and java so that you can funnel all of that money into crushing the Ottomans under a pile of silver and spice.

This was a great tips, although I slightly modified it. I went south and conquered/vasallized all the eastern African nations, colonized the cape and worked my way north, eating Kongo. After that I started to colonize the Indian sea so as to be sure that the Europeans weren't going to blitz Asia. After that I just waited until the Ottomans were in a war - while building a huge galley fleet, as someone else in the thread suggested - and then I started taking bites of them. After I unlocked the quantity tree it was pretty much just a matter of time until I made my way to Constantinople. My inflation is huge though, since I have crazy amounts of gold provinces. Anyhow, Prester John completed :toot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I hope it comes with a new Christmas music pack.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Koramei posted:

huh, new sprites for the Mongols are conspicuously absent :(

this and africans

walking around shirtless in the middle of the Sahara is a catastrophically bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope it comes with a new Christmas music pack.

Christmas carol rendition of Fa-la-la-la-lan.

• Locked thread