Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

Can't you do almost exactly this with Netrunner?

Netrunner draft packs is a "starter," which is almost completely superfluous, and random packs. It's not really that different than getting 3 boosters of Magic/person and doing a draft that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You could definitely buy discreet sections of the Netrunner card pool in order to create a draft cube, though. And it would be hella cheap as far as cubes go.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Most netrunner drafts I know of are just run using a selection of someone's card pool rather than buying them

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Wizards of the Coast should just sell premade Drafting Cubes. Maybe put some different backs on them, so they could throw Mox in there without pissing anyone off or something. It sounds like what this EPIC game was going for, and failed to do.

Don't forget that magic players sleeve their cards, you'd need a different card size as well. Also it's bad for business, I know.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Don't forget that magic players sleeve their cards, you'd need a different card size as well. Also it's bad for business, I know.

They could give the cards square corners like those champions decks they released a while back, and maybe put a unique expansion symbol on the front to make extra sure people aern't playing in official tournaments with affordable cards.

I know, it's a dream. I will continue to make my own cubes :(

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gold bordered? Used to work for Championship decks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played new TTA for the first time. I liked the balance changes on cards and the war system is muuuuch smoother which is good. Not sure about corruption before production, it does mean that if you drive yourself to 0 resources you only potentially stand to lose grain (which isn't as important IMO).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Corruption before production is a basically neutral change in terms of its impact on gameplay for me, but SO much simpler and quicker to work out that it's definitely a positive change. It's a lot easier to build farms and mines without having to move stuff up and down to work out whether you're actually going to be corrupt or not.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Tom Vasel says something reasonable. gj

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Not even 96% of my dick is male.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

It's just fun

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

memy posted:

It's just fun

For anyone who didn't watch it, he actually says "It's not 'politically correct' to add females to games, it's just fun."

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 11, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's hard to make fun of someone for having the generally correct opinion and shutting down that dumb question.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

It's hard to make fun of someone for having the generally correct opinion and shutting down that dumb question.

You can make fun of the guy in the comments who probably asked the question.

quote:

The reality is once you remove wives, girlfriends and daughters of gamers the demo drops like a rock. Studies have shown most women prefer watching TV to gaming: http://usabilitynews.org/video-games-males-prefer-violence-while-females-prefer-social/ It is rather silly to think that feminizing a dungeon crawl is going to attract female gamers - All it does is alienate your core demographic.
"Listen, if you don't count all the women who play games, there aren't a lot of women who play games."

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
"Wah wah, including women in a male-dominated hobby makes me feel neglected and alienated!"

Ugh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good, the core demographic could do with a good alienating.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SynthOrange posted:

Good, the core demographic could do with a good alienating.

That's probably why Cosmic Encounter is so popular.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That is great. That's the polite Christian equivalent of "Get hosed."

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Ugh. Well I finally picked up LE: Predator. Just finished sleeving the 686ish cards. I was hoping since Alien fit with room to spare on one side of the box, that I would be able to put Predator on the other side with maybe some spillover into the Alien side. Nope. Not even close! To be fair, I also picked up the Broken Token wooden insert since my Alien box was already falling apart. It does have wood on both ends and a divider in the center of the lane that all take up space. Still, I figured it would work. It does not. I might take out the insert and see if I can get that to work, but I fear the box won't be able to handle all of the weight without the added support. Guess there's one way to find out. Anyone else come up with a solution? I sure it all fits just fine without sleeves, but I always sleeve any game that has to be shuffled over and over. I could always toss one of the base card sets into the Alien box and just use the other with both games. Or maybe mix them up and use half of that. Commanders and Sergeants are exactly the same, could do 5 of each. There are odd numbers of the recruit and strike base cards, but it would still work. Technically the strike decks you use with the co-op games are almost the same. Of course the art is different, if you're playing Alien it would be weird to draw a strike with a Predator on it, even if it's the same damage. Also both decks have a few unique cards. Mainly Flesh Wounds and stuff like that could be paired down. Guess I need to figure out exactly how many cards I need to lose to fit it in the box. Fun times.

Btw, if anyone is considering one of those wooden inserts? If I could redo it, I would order the Go7Gaming one instead of the Broken Token insert. It has a base, so there's no need for a permanent center divider. Also they use nice acrylic dividers if you wanted to use them instead of wood. I don't plan to use any myself, since there's not enough room. I only picked up the Broken Token insert because I was at Gencon and they had it at the booth. No need to pay for shipping...because I'm cheap. If Go7Gaming was there, I couldn't find them. Oh well.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

GrandpaPants posted:

I just found it funny that he still went to "it's just fun."

Have some complete lack of realization:

the same tool quoted earlier posted:

I agree with Tom about reversible character cards instead of forcing someone to play as a female character because their are only 5 roles available and iin a five player game with five male players someone is stuck with a female role.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 11, 2015

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Gimnbo posted:

Have some complete lack of realization

Holy gently caress, humanity.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2495

does anyone know what prompted this? Is CSI gonna get even cheaper?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Malloreon posted:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2495

does anyone know what prompted this? Is CSI gonna get even cheaper?
Maybe they're trying to compete with Miniatures Market, who I think just pulled the same move?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
MM put out a similar memo yesterday and took a jab at CSI by saying something along the lines of "we don't require you to spend thousands to get the best discounts", referencing CSIs reward program. It was kind of childish and dumb, and probably s bad move since CSI is so massive and can easily compete with any site on the race to the bottom of the barrel as far as prices. The only benefit to MM now is their 5.95 shipping, but other than that CSI is still cheaper most of the time, and has better and more frequent sales to boot.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I can't imagine a worse thing in life than having to play as a female character in a board game.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Is it weird to be concerned about the price cuts in terms of the industry? I mean, games aren't necessarily cheap now, but I still want people to make games and, you know, eat and pay rent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ETB posted:

Is it weird to be concerned about the price cuts in terms of the industry? I mean, games aren't necessarily cheap now, but I still want people to make games and, you know, eat and pay rent.

Retailers cutting prices to consumers has no effect on the income of designers, publishers, etc. they're just trimming their margins which they can afford to do because of the sheer volume of sales they do. They're still buying them for the same amount, the mark up is just smaller. Plus, as the industry grows infrastructure for printing and publishing will become cheaper for all and more obtainable for smaller developers and designers.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 11, 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

So I personally don't like Vassal's show, but what he says here makes me want to support him.

EDIT: to clarify, I think that Dice tower does an hour long show for what could be covered in less time. I understand that personality plays a big role in why people watch these videos, so maybe I just don't connect with their personalities likes others do.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 11, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Slimy Hog posted:

So I personally don't like Vassal's show, but what he says here makes me want to support him.

Let that sensation pass. He's a piss poor pundit of games. Displaying ordinary decency doesn't change that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

EvilChameleon posted:

I can't imagine a worse thing in life than having to play as a female character in a board game.

Andromeda 4 lyfe

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

MM put out a similar memo yesterday and took a jab at CSI by saying something along the lines of "we don't require you to spend thousands to get the best discounts", referencing CSIs reward program. It was kind of childish and dumb, and probably s bad move since CSI is so massive and can easily compete with any site on the race to the bottom of the barrel as far as prices. The only benefit to MM now is their 5.95 shipping, but other than that CSI is still cheaper most of the time, and has better and more frequent sales to boot.

MM and CSI are, for all intents and purposes, the same size. CSI is split amongst four smaller retail stores/warhouses and MM operates out of one much larger warehouse, but in terms of business done MM is not any less "massive" then CSI.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nothing makes me hate this hobby more than the loving spergy twats who participate in it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks for previous advice on Betrayal at House on the Hill and Eldritch Horror. Wound up going with Tales of the Arabian Nights like was suggested. I picked up Sushi Go, Roll For It, and Ticket to Ride Europe too since none of my family have ever played any of them.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey, board game goons. A couple I'm friends with have been getting into board games, and I'm going to get them one as a birthday present. I need to pick one first, though. Here's what I got so far:

- They are pretty into horror games. We mostly play Eldritch Horror, and they're thinking about getting Mansions of Madness. (I don't know if they know it's another Mythos game though, and I don't know if it's good)
- They like mysteries, but one of them doesn't like puzzle-heavy games. (We played Tragedy Looper and one of them liked it, one of them didn't)
- They have a Game of Thrones board game they like.
- They haven't tried much else yet, but I've started borrowing games from my regular group for them to try out, so I can probably run other games past them first. (We're trying Pandemic this week, and if they like it I'm getting myself a copy of Pandemic: Legacy.)

Right now I'm considering Betrayal at House on the Hill, or some Mansions of Madness expansions if it's actually good. Got any better recs?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Mysterium might be up their alley. It's a combination of Clue and Dixit, and it's cooperative.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ettin posted:

Hey, board game goons. A couple I'm friends with have been getting into board games, and I'm going to get them one as a birthday present. I need to pick one first, though. Here's what I got so far:

- They are pretty into horror games. We mostly play Eldritch Horror, and they're thinking about getting Mansions of Madness. (I don't know if they know it's another Mythos game though, and I don't know if it's good)
- They like mysteries, but one of them doesn't like puzzle-heavy games. (We played Tragedy Looper and one of them liked it, one of them didn't)

Mysterium is really good. A Study in Emerald 2nd Edition should be in stores about now as well.

quote:

- They have a Game of Thrones board game they like.

Kemet. The answer is always Kemet.

Alternatively, Forbidden Stars is mechanically similar but more wargamish.
Fief is more political.

quote:

- They haven't tried much else yet, but I've started borrowing games from my regular group for them to try out, so I can probably run other games past them first. (We're trying Pandemic this week, and if they like it I'm getting myself a copy of Pandemic: Legacy.)

Don't hesitate. Just get it. Pandemic is a solid coop, and Legacy is a great concept. You should get Risk Legacy while you're at it.

quote:

Right now I'm considering Betrayal at House on the Hill, or some Mansions of Madness expansions if it's actually good. Got any better recs?

Don't get either. Eldritch is already better than both.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like risk legacy would be a massive letdown after pandemic because of just how much worse a base game it's built off.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

They're still buying them for the same amount, the mark up is just smaller.

Is this necessarily the case? If one of CSI/MM got so huge they were a significant portion of board game sales they could go back to the distributor and negotiate lower rates.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Apparently The Settlers of Catan is a game about "the American myth of White European settlers stumbling upon a fertile land that was theirs by right, encountering no meaningful resistance, and acting on behalf of God and Country to develop economies, settlements, and cities in this “New World.” How best to deal with these "troubling issues" and avoid future "awkward positions"? Make one player play as the First Nation of Catan who can move around the hexes, gathering resources and destroying the settlements and cities of the evil White European colonists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Doesn't making it so that the whiteys can only defend themselves sort of undermine the message of the variant? Now the indigenous people seem like a beast that needs to be caged.