Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bundt Cake posted:

He let Lorne off the hook completely and became a spineless simpering rear end kisser. Cool.

Off the hook for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Off the hook for what?

I guess for being dicky to him in that meeting. It was a long time ago, but people are playing up the "marc is crazy" angle too much. If the story he always tells is accurate then lorne was pretty lovely to him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This whole situation was literally the Bison/Chun Li exchange from street fighter. "To you, this was the most important day of your life. To me, it was Tuesday."

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Law Cheetah posted:

I guess for being dicky to him in that meeting. It was a long time ago, but people are playing up the "marc is crazy" angle too much. If the story he always tells is accurate then lorne was pretty lovely to him.

I dunno, the story sounds to me like Lorne condescended to Marc, who had/has a well-earned reputation for being an rear end in a top hat. I'm sure Marc has said way more insulting poo poo to younger comics than what Lorne said to him in a meeting 20 years ago.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

piratepilates posted:

Off the hook for what?

For being a dick

Lorne was an incredible rear end in a top hat to him, and is a weird guy people are afraid of because of his power in showbusiness. Marc was afraid to confront him and blew smoke up his rear end for two hours about how he changed comedy, and Marc even backs off like a little baby when he says first season and Lorne goes you mean first five years and Marcs just like yeah. He was sniveling

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 10, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Honestly if Lorne Michaels was a dick to Marc Maron it was probably completely justified.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Honestly if Lorne Michaels was a dick to Marc Maron it was probably completely justified.

How so?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

rotinaj posted:

This whole situation was literally the Bison/Chun Li exchange from street fighter. "To you, this was the most important day of your life. To me, it was Tuesday."

Holy poo poo

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This isn't a snarky question: Did you just start listening to WTF? Because the first 200 episodes of WTF are Marc apologizing to his guests for being a condescending rear end in a top hat to them. Or he just is a dick to them in the garage. I got Howl.FM last weekend and was listening to favorites and old episodes I missed and it's even worse than I remember.

"Hey Sklars! So which one do I have a problem with? You're basically the same person!"

"Our next guest is an angry little man... Greg Fitzsimmons everybody!"

"Kumail Nan... How do you pronounce it?" *goes into a 5 minute bit about the difficulty in pronouncing South Asian names*

"So Chelsea Peretti. You're a woman comic."
"Uh... yeah."
"Tell me about that."
"....."

"So, Matt Walsh. You and three other people founded UCB. It was you, the writer guy Ian, Matt Walsh, and Amy."
"I'm Matt Walsh"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I think the Obama interview has pretty much shown that Marc is a perfectly safe and 'respectable' interviewer now. So I wouldn't expect much of anything all that interesting out of him or his guests now that he's achieved mainstream success and big names feel safe approaching him.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 10, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This isn't a snarky question: Did you just start listening to WTF? Because the first 200 episodes of WTF are Marc apologizing to his guests for being a condescending rear end in a top hat to them. Or he just is a dick to them in the garage. I got Howl.FM last weekend and was listening to favorites and old episodes I missed and it's even worse than I remember.

"Hey Sklars! So which one do I have a problem with? You're basically the same person!"

"Kumail Nan... How do you pronounce it?" *goes into a 5 minute bit about the difficulty in pronouncing South Asian names*

"Uh... yeah."
"Tell me about that."
"....."

"So, Matt Walsh. You and three other people founded UCB. It was you, the writer guy Ian, Matt Walsh, and Amy."
"I'm Matt Walsh"

How does that relate to Lorne Michaels, who hed never met

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I dunno why anyone would expect Marc to be anything but cordial with Lorne. He's always on his best behavior around people who are higher up on the food chain. Lorne was a big get for the podcast, and he gets very little from it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bundt Cake posted:

What are you talking about? Of course he's met Lorne, he was almost on the SNL cast. Did you listen to the interview?

To me it always felt like since he got turned down Marc got over any bitterness about not getting called up (he even says in the interview he realizes now he wasn't ready then) and just wanted to get a reason, for some kind of closure. I know I would.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Do you not understand how human socializing works or are you just being intentionally dense for inexplicable reasons?

I've never met this person who works in my industry and has interacted with a ton of people I'm friends or in business with so I cannot possibly make any determinations about him.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

"Uh... yeah."
"Tell me about that."
"....."

"I'm Matt Walsh"

I laughed at all those lines

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bundt Cake posted:

For being a dick

Lorne was an incredible rear end in a top hat to him, and is a weird guy people are afraid of because of his power in showbusiness. Marc was afraid to confront him and blew smoke up his rear end for two hours about how he changed comedy, and Marc even backs off like a little baby when he says first season and Lorne goes you mean first five years and Marcs just like yeah. He was sniveling

"Incredible rear end in a top hat" according to Marc, who doesn't have the best of memories about these things and has built it up for 20 years or whatever it is into something it clearly wasn't. I thought Lorne was fairly level headed in his answer, though I got the feeling he was sparing Maron the embarrassment of saying that yeah you just weren't very good. Is Michaels dickish? Of course he is. But not everyone is Harry Shearer and willing to talk about that, mainly because he probably doesn't think he's being a dick.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I dunno why anyone would expect Marc to be anything but cordial with Lorne. He's always on his best behavior around people who are higher up on the food chain. Lorne was a big get for the podcast, and he gets very little from it.

Oh I just expected there to be more Maron trying to get to the bottom of why he was turned down. Instead it was just a brief "You weren't right for the show at the time" and then the rest was just talk about SNL. I wasn't expecting him to be combative but I just thought there would be more of Marc being depressed about not getting on the cast.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

"Incredible rear end in a top hat" according to Marc, who doesn't have the best of memories about these things and has built it up for 20 years or whatever it is into something it clearly wasn't. I thought Lorne was fairly level headed in his answer, though I got the feeling he was sparing Maron the embarrassment of saying that yeah you just weren't very good. Is Michaels dickish? Of course he is. But not everyone is Harry Shearer and willing to talk about that, mainly because he probably doesn't think he's being a dick.

And it should be noted that Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat himself. He's got fuckoff money from the Simpsons, though, so he can afford it.

I'm sure there are stories about Lorne being a backstabber or something, but most of what I've heard from podcasts, articles etc is that he's just someone who keeps things close to the chest and dishes out occasional cryptic and/or cutting remark.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I'd be more concerned about someone who doesn't have a bad Maron experience at this point than someone who does. I don't know many other comedians who have podcasts stemming from trying to make reparations with everyone they have interacted with in their professional and social lives.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've listened to WTF for about 18 months. I haven't heard anything earlier than the Billy Connolly interview. However from what I have gathered from interviews on the net and write ups from other comedians from around the time Maron started as a comedian, Maron was trying to follow in the same boots as Sam Kinison and to a lesser degree Bill Hicks, right down to the drug use. It sounds like during the early parts of his career Maron spent most of the time pissing off anyone and everyone he dealt with, other than a small group of friends who understood what a bastard he was and how to handle his bitterness. Of course as other comedians from Maron's time got more popular, the more bitter he got.

Maron mentioned he was still doing drugs (ok, weed) when he was interviewed by Michaels. Now some people say Michaels is a dick, but I am sure during that interview he had the view of "oh great, another comedian on drugs, not what I need with the SNL with the media attention at the moment". Michaels let Maron down easily at the start of the interview. Whether that will cool Maron's obsession with Michaels has yet to be seen.

That said Maron has realised what a prick he was (and still sometimes can be), but it would be interesting to hear from his ex-wives.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

He's a much better interviewer now but the older episodes (pre-tv show seems to be the cutoff) were always entertaining and insightful. Newer episodes are mostly just interesting.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A Jon Stewart interview would be amazing, but Stewart has already said he wouldn't do it because of how badly Maron treated him in the past.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Has Marc shown any interest in sketch comedy outside of thinking he should be on the biggest TV show?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
All said and done, I didn't find the Lorne episode remarkable at all.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

You Am I posted:

I've listened to WTF for about 18 months. I haven't heard anything earlier than the Billy Connolly interview. However from what I have gathered from interviews on the net and write ups from other comedians from around the time Maron started as a comedian, Maron was trying to follow in the same boots as Sam Kinison and to a lesser degree Bill Hicks, right down to the drug use. It sounds like during the early parts of his career Maron spent most of the time pissing off anyone and everyone he dealt with, other than a small group of friends who understood what a bastard he was and how to handle his bitterness. Of course as other comedians from Maron's time got more popular, the more bitter he got.

As someone who has been a fan of his since seeing some random crap on Comedy Central in the earlier days of that channel, I think he ended up with that crowd because he fit in there, not because of a desire to be like them. He was a heavy drug abuser with a chip on his shoulder, a big dose of narcissism, lovely parental relationships, etc. etc.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

jyrka posted:

Has Marc shown any interest in sketch comedy outside of thinking he should be on the biggest TV show?

No but that wouldn't be all that weird really. A lot of SNL people come from standup and not sketch. Anyway, he was hoping for Weekend Update. For what it's worth I think he would have done a better job than some people who held that spot, namely Colin Quinn.

I don't think Stewart is totally out of the picture. Give it 2 years or so and he might come around.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

GNU Order posted:

What are you talking about? Of course he's met Lorne, he was almost on the SNL cast. Did you listen to the interview?

To me it always felt like since he got turned down Marc got over any bitterness about not getting called up (he even says in the interview he realizes now he wasn't ready then) and just wanted to get a reason, for some kind of closure. I know I would.

They never met before the meeting where Lorne was an rear end in a top hat to him. I don't totally understand where the miscommunication is heree but you aren't responding to what I posted.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Do you not understand how human socializing works or are you just being intentionally dense for inexplicable reasons?

I've never met this person who works in my industry and has interacted with a ton of people I'm friends or in business with so I cannot possibly make any determinations about him.

So your contention is that as long as Lorne had heard Marc was a jerk, he was justified in treating him badly?

DrVenkman posted:

Lorne didn't deny anything Marc claimed he said and said saying "Nothing you're doing matters" was "playful"

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Pocket Billiards posted:

All said and done, I didn't find the Lorne episode remarkable at all.

Seriously.

And unless you're into SNL it's as gratifying as any musician interview (that is, if you dig them it's great).

It almost seemed like Lorne was ready for the punch, but Marc couldn't deliver.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

jyrka posted:

I feel like he's shown interest in making GBS threads on it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Marc is a big fan of The State has interviewed all of the cast.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I seem to remember him being extremely positive about the Kids in the Hall during an interview with one of them, but that interview could have been a different podcast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Lorne didn't deny anything Marc claimed he said and said saying "Nothing you're doing matters" was "playful"

So? Truth is that we don't know if it was or not. It's clear that Michaels does this poo poo to people to see how they react (Hence the various stories about how he keeps people waiting an unreasonable amount of time) and it's possible that he was joking, just like it was possible that he was being serious. Thing is I doubt Lorne himself even knows. It was 20 years ago.

I fell like anyone arguing that Maron should've taken Michaels to task don't understand how social interactions or interviews work. As it was, it's just a largely average interview in which the biggest issue was dispensed with immediately.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marc should understand (and he probably does) by this point that his attitude and ego was unfit for SNL anyway, he would've been booted from the show faster than Damon Wayans.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Marc should understand (and he probably does) by this point that his attitude and ego was unfit for SNL anyway, he would've been booted from the show faster than Damon Wayans.

Who knows what could have happened. He could have been their big star -- like Joe Piscopo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

I've always thought it was such a weird hangup for Marc to have. He knows he doesn't particularly play well with others, just like he knows that he wouldn't have been a good fit for that show. When he's spoken to people who have been sketch stars he's made his slight disdain pretty clear. So why really care? It's why I thought that resolution was pretty funny, because it's so not a big deal. All of that and it ends with the smallest whimper.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It must be some boomer generation thing that I'll never really understand.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DrVenkman posted:

So? Truth is that we don't know if it was or not. It's clear that Michaels does this poo poo to people to see how they react (Hence the various stories about how he keeps people waiting an unreasonable amount of time) and it's possible that he was joking, just like it was possible that he was being serious. Thing is I doubt Lorne himself even knows. It was 20 years ago.

I fell like anyone arguing that Maron should've taken Michaels to task don't understand how social interactions or interviews work. As it was, it's just a largely average interview in which the biggest issue was dispensed with immediately.

I know its not funny and an rear end in a top hat thing to say and to double down on 20 years later

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DrVenkman posted:

I've always thought it was such a weird hangup for Marc to have. He knows he doesn't particularly play well with others, just like he knows that he wouldn't have been a good fit for that show. When he's spoken to people who have been sketch stars he's made his slight disdain pretty clear. So why really care? It's why I thought that resolution was pretty funny, because it's so not a big deal. All of that and it ends with the smallest whimper.

Why would anyone care about tons of money and prestige in their industry with a defined role (Update) thats suited to them? I just cant wrap my head around it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Finally finished the interview the other night. I thought it was pretty great and interesting to hear Lorne's philosophy behind why SNL is the way it is.

I don't know why people are saying Marc should have come in with a chip on his shoulder when he clearly doesn't have one anymore. It's ok to get over a bad interaction 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Why would anyone care about tons of money and prestige in their industry with a defined role (Update) thats suited to them? I just cant wrap my head around it

Being obtuse is fun, but that's not what I'm talking about. Maron's whole thing is about how he seemingly couldn't please Michaels and become part of this institution. But what was he expecting really? He was by all accounts a massive dick at the time who couldn't play well with others and who had never worked in that type of environment before. This isn't like it was snatched from the jaws of victory.

• Locked thread