Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ok I have reached the point i want new foes/quests.
Still looks like a no idea eta on ether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xthetenth posted:

On the other hand ha ha gently caress you I'm going to grab you from ten feet away with a six foot pole is a bit messed up.

Even without this they are the most bullshit special, once they get into hook range (which is a very weird and nondeterminate point) unless you have the ability to burst them down in an instant such as with a perfect handgun shot which you already have drawn and aimed, there is no reliable way to kill them without getting hooked and having to get saved by team. Who are probably tied up with the horde the packmaster snuck through because they're also the least visually-distinct special in a crowd of ordinary rats. I've stabbed one in the head twice with a rapier and that didn't stun it for even a moment, and shooting it while it's dragging someone doesn't slow it down or make it drop your teammate until it suddenly dies.

As it is they're arguably the most dangerous special (maybe this changes on nightmare and up I dunno) because they feel completely unable to be controlled, while gutter runners get knocked around very easily, stormvermin get pushed like everything else, and gunners and gas rats have to stay very still to really do anything. Packmasters should be able to be staggered by more attacks.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

ReapersTouch posted:

Pole rat range is retarded

Not to mention in terms of audio spawn cues, while Gutter Runner gets a creepy echoing whisper, Globadier gets a droning hornblast, Ratling Gunner gets a clanky, grinding whirr, and Roger gets a nice loud roar, I can't recall what Packmaster gets other than a very muted skulls clanking together that you can't hear over the sounds of a horde and sounds a lot like your own armor/trinkets rattling. So hey, when any of the others spawn I can hear it and I'll keep an eye out. Now let me just attack this horde in front of us and- oh I guess there was a Packmaster behind that sea of rats that grabbed me and I didn't know it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

As it is they're arguably the most dangerous special (maybe this changes on nightmare and up I dunno) because they feel completely unable to be controlled, while gutter runners get knocked around very easily, stormvermin get pushed like everything else, and gunners and gas rats have to stay very still to really do anything. Packmasters should be able to be staggered by more attacks.

No, no it doesn't change on Nightmare. Packmasters are still total cunts on any difficulty. Besides the absurd reach, which is fine - because the... smoker? or whatever, the dude with the tongue or some poo poo in L4D - It had the long arm and could use it. BUT the difference between its L4D counterpart is that the Packmaster nabs you close and drags you away, Fast. Not slow, fast as loving hell. A running person can barely keep up with it as it drags you through hordes and poo poo. It should be nerfed at least by its speed alone.

If you slow down the drag speed, the packmaster would still be a formidable special thats not a game ender at the right time and still be a problem none the less.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Packmaster is an even bigger fucker on Nightmare because you can't shoot through his hostage.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The Packmaster is an even bigger fucker on Nightmare because you can't shoot through his hostage.
Sure you can, you just need target penetration. :getin:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Not to mention in terms of audio spawn cues, while Gutter Runner gets a creepy echoing whisper, Globadier gets a droning hornblast, Ratling Gunner gets a clanky, grinding whirr, and Roger gets a nice loud roar, I can't recall what Packmaster gets other than a very muted skulls clanking together that you can't hear over the sounds of a horde and sounds a lot like your own armor/trinkets rattling. So hey, when any of the others spawn I can hear it and I'll keep an eye out. Now let me just attack this horde in front of us and- oh I guess there was a Packmaster behind that sea of rats that grabbed me and I didn't know it.

I knew I was forgetting something, this is the other reason why they'll gently caress you over more than any other special, because you can't even prepare for them like the rest. In fact I'm not sure I've even heard characters even shout about them before they've grabbed someone or are about to anyway, while with other specials your character calls them out pretty well ahead of time even if you don't hear them. I may just not be listening well enough but that's been my experience sof ar.

They're like the worst parts of the smoker and jockey combined, except with the extra feature that you can't easily shoot the special (both the jockey and smoker were usually pretty visible while they had someone grabbed, the jockey especially). Furthermore in L4D you could shove the person being moved and it would release them, but that's not the case here and the packmaster moves so fast while dragging someone that you're lucky to be able to even catch up through the ordinary rats. You also had goddamn assault rifles in L4D, while missing your snipe with one of warhammer's handguns is painful.

Its just not a reasonable enemy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Packmaster wouldn't be as bad if he didn't pull you through terrain and closed doorways. That poo poo pisses me off.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Apparently there's some dumb loving glitch in Garden of Morr where you can jump on top of a building, walk across the sky, and skip all the way to the chain breaking section.

Nobody actually wants to play this game, apparently.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've begun my cataclysm runs. Apparently there's a way to cheese White Rat now. Glitches out the ending, as it went to the victory screen after they bombed the pillar instead of breaking chains.

fake edit: heh... cheese.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Apparently there's some dumb loving glitch in Garden of Morr where you can jump on top of a building, walk across the sky, and skip all the way to the chain breaking section.

Nobody actually wants to play this game, apparently.

Was in a public game earlier where someone was trying to show how to do something like this on the white rat. Apparently after getting the grimoire at the beginning there's some silly series of jumps you can do to skip a bunch of the level. I didn't see all of it before I left, but apparently there's a spot where you can fall into a roof and be unable to escape so there's a bit of karma there. Of course I almost can't blame them for wanting to skip the white rat it's so unfun.

Horn of magnus and garden of morr are cool and fun levels though, why would you want to skip them. Especially the ending to magnus, people are so goddamn determined to never actually play it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Taear posted:

Friendly Fire makes Nightmare an absolute slog.

you almost have to be trying to do a substantial amount of damage with FF on nightmare

seriously, i have taken 5 arequbus shots in the back in nightmare over the course of a level and that was, like, one clanrat hit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Coolguye posted:

you almost have to be trying to do a substantial amount of damage with FF on nightmare

seriously, i have taken 5 arequbus shots in the back in nightmare over the course of a level and that was, like, one clanrat hit.

Yeah, that makes it a no brainer whether to plow a shot through a hostage if you can.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
The only friendly fire that can really screw you on Nightmare+ is bombs and burn damage. The guns and bows do such a tiny fraction it's really not a factor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rezatahs posted:

The only friendly fire that can really screw you on Nightmare+ is bombs and burn damage. The guns and bows do such a tiny fraction it's really not a factor.

It's main function is blocking your fire, which I really notice with the Dorf Handgun because it doesn't pierce.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone here complaining about Horn of Magnus, while I'm trying to convince people to stop playing Man the Ramparts over and over. Yes, it is a fun map and can be done quickly. No, I do not want to play it five times in a row but you're the only people nearby running Nightmare matches, christ.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We usually play Man the Ramparts after we lose a longer one, as a sort of cooldown. Or once at the start of a session to warm up.

It's great for diving into a harder difficulty and getting your head back in it.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everyone here complaining about Horn of Magnus, while I'm trying to convince people to stop playing Man the Ramparts over and over. Yes, it is a fun map and can be done quickly. No, I do not want to play it five times in a row but you're the only people nearby running Nightmare matches, christ.

Thought I was the only one that had encountered this. I like Man the Ramparts a lot, but after the second time completing it with the same group, they wanted to do it AGAIN, and I noped right out of there.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like Ramparts as a palate cleanser between longer full tome/grim runs, or if I am playing with some pubs who are a bit terrible. Smuggler's Run is pretty legit, as is Waterfront.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Have people figured out which enemies count as "man-sized" for the effect to instantly kill a man sized enemy? I got a 7.5% chance to instakill on a blue rapier and it would be awesome if commanders counted.

e: Looked it up and people say it counts for everything but roger. However there is also apparently an effect with a super low chance to instakill everything including roger :pwn:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 11, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Have people figured out which enemies count as "man-sized" for the effect to instantly kill a man sized enemy? I got a 7.5% chance to instakill on a blue rapier and it would be awesome if commanders counted.

I have a blue elf sword with that and I can confirm it works on commanders. They explode in a big gout of black blood and gibs when it procs, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

e: Looked it up and people say it counts for everything but roger. However there is also apparently an effect with a super low chance to instakill everything including roger :pwn:
it only shows up on oranges and it maxes out at like 3% or something but when it procs it owns ridiculously hard

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

it only shows up on oranges and it maxes out at like 3% or something but when it procs it owns ridiculously hard

Can confirm this. We were all getting ready for the big fight with the Rogre when suddenly our elf just one-shots it with her knives. It was beautiful. We couldn't stop laughing.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
SEen the rogre pop mid fight af ew times from insta kill always a welcome sight.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Got a blue hammer and shield drop as a dwarf, might stick with using my green two handed hammer though because I like the moveset better

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
This happened to me and my pals earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05e7YM7LEdM

Most l4d thing that's happened so far.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
New patch just started downloading. Bolding is mine on some of the highlights.

quote:

Patch 1.0.2
Changelog:
Feature Changes
Added Regiment Name Tags (based on Steam groups).
Matchmaking now times out if host idles for too long.
Tweaked enemy spawning on Wheat & Chaff.
Tweaked chat text colours.
Disabled tagging of dead enemies.
Added a setting to disable aim assist while using a controller.
Added player info during spectator cam.
Players can now press on their equipped item (next to the character preview) in the Inventory, to select the equipped item in the item list.
Improved grenade FX for added clarity
Improved Victory/Defeat screens
Hawk Eye trait can now be toggled on/off using Weapon Special key

Bug Fixes
Fixed an audio related crash.
Fixed a bug where the music slider wasn’t properly disabling music
Fixed several level exploits.
Fixed navmesh issues on many levels.
Fixed minor collision and z-fighting issues on most levels.
Fixed an issue causing bots to get stuck at drops.
Fixed an issue causing Ratling Gunners to track players through walls causing bots to infinite take cover and not progress.
Fixed a bug where players could jump out of moving elevators.
Fixed a crash when packmaster grabbed a player who was healing.
Fixed a crash related to the dialogue system.
Fixed a crash related to the hud system.
Fixed a bug where shield would flip during attack combo with hammer & shield.
Fixed a bug with hammer & axe animation.
Fixed a bug where the loading icon could get stuck during gameplay.
Fixed a case of enemies “moonwalking”.
Player outlines now properly apply to hats/weapons/attachments.
Fixed several localization errors.
Fixed several spelling & grammar mistakes.
Fixed a collision error with certain rocks in Engines of War.
Fixed certain trinket textures.
Fixed a bug where certain effects would be permanently visible for clients who join during a game.
Fixed a rotational issue with beam staff.
Fixed callouts of visible enemies using player movement director rather than view direction for line of sight checks.
Fixed Stormvermin sometimes being labeled as “Commander” in kill log.
Fixed missing sound for beam staff beam explosions.
Fixed VOIP so that it doesn’t transmit during loading screens if you have Push to Talk enabled but isn’t pushing to talk.
Reworked level end logic for wagons to avoid several cases where the level would not end when users had entered closed and opened and exited the wagons.
Floating will now be correctly positioned when using "HUD screen fit" option.
Fixed issue with displaying wrong score data when hovering over score topics
Fixed issue with chat being drawn under the "dead space filler UI" in end of level UI.
Updated news ticker ingame to refresh the message after a delay.
Fix for cursor and input when getting popups during join popup... or the other way around.
Possible fix for cursor still stuck on screen after handling with popups.

Bot AI Fixes: (Lets be honest this entire section should be bold)
Solved a number of cases that could result in bots chasing after seemingly undetected special skaven.
Solved a number of cases where bots would get stuck and not defend themselves
Disabled behaviour where bots choose to close to melee distance with packmasters and gutter runners until they’ve grabbed a player.
Fixed an issue where bots would not find any cover points if pinned up against a wall by a ratling gunner.
Bots are now a lot more cautious about friendly fire at higher difficulties.
Fixed an issue that was causing bots to sometimes not engage special skaven disabling an ally.
Fixed an issue that was causing bots to sometimes not rescue a disabled or knocked down player.
Bots with lower health now get higher priority to healing items than other bots if close enough.
Made bots prioritize attacking special skaven attacking the group before trying to revive (not rat ogres).
Bots will disengage if possible if the players pass a one way drop to avoid getting left behind and pinned down by special skaven.
Bots try to spread out among different covers as much as possible when under fire from ratling guns to avoid all getting pinned down when possible.
Fixed situation where bots would hesitate whether to heal with medkits or not.
Improved bot pathfinding over drops.

Performance Changes:
Reduced core spin time after completed job. This should make sure cores sleep more often and reduce overall CPU load.
Added option to set max amount of CPU cores in launcher. This is a fallback for users that experience issues with CPU overheating/overload. Do not change this value unless you are experiencing overheating/overload issues!
Optimized movement collision detection for staggering enemies.
Optimized movement collision detection for spawning skaven.
Parallelized AI path finding.
Optimized enemy movement on server.
UI optimizations.
Achievement optimizations.
Matchmaking optimizations.
Lua table function optimizations.
Horde audio code optimizations.
Level volume optimizations.
Optimized world updates.
Entity extension optimizations.
Optimized explosion hit checks.
Optimized Globadier gas effect.
Optimized Witch Hunter pistol effect.
Optimized Drake Pistol effect.

Metos fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 11, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Hey, hey, you!

:siren:DLC:siren:

http://www.vermintide.com/dlc-plans-2015/

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

quote:

The free DLC will introduce a number of new features including player control of what loot is dropped in-game and a new altar in the Inn, that provides ways of sacrificing existing loot to improve the player’s arsenal. In addition to this, the DLC will include completely new traits added to the loot tables and new, unique weapon drops in the “red” loot class for each of the 40 weapon types in Vermintide. Each red weapon features a set trait combination, taking top tier gameplay to a new level.

Aside from this first DLC, Fatshark is separately planning on adding a private mode, for players wanting the challenge of facing off against the Skaven alone! Realism mode is also on the way, removing the game HUD, crosshairs and more to create a truly immersive and authentic (and hardcore!) experience for particularly skilled Vermintide fans. Last but not least, Fatshark will be adding a survival mode to the game, allowing players to take on endless waves of ever-increasing enemies. How long will you be able to last against the deadly Skaven hordes
Lands December 3rd for free, then alternating free/paid DLC after that.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Metos posted:

cannot wait :peanut:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

That's pretty loving cool.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Metos posted:

Perfect timing! I'll be burnt out on Fallout 4 and ready to hit some rats with hammers again. See you all again on the 3rd!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
300,000 copies sold? How does that compare to their previous titles?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

300,000 copies sold? How does that compare to their previous titles?

Their only previous game that comes close to the attention Vermintide has is War of the Roses, and it got stomped on by Chivalry.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It has no tomes or grims, so playing it repeatedly on Nightmare is a good way to get a lot of green and white loot.

For fun, go through the thread and read all the people crying about how they never roll well - you've found the guys that run ramps and sewers constantly

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I knew the blue/orange conflag left click seemed too good compared to before.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of that (patch notes + DLC plans) looks great although I'm not sure I like the idea of them adding higher tier loot and making the game more dependent on what gear you have over skill.

Two other things: If they're adding a mode with no crosshair then they need to have actual ironsights on ranged weapons because right now you have to depend on the crosshairs to know where you're shooting even when aiming, and if they're adding a solo mode then they need to change the design of specials so they aren't an instant game over if you ever let a packmaster exist for more than a second.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

and if they're adding a solo mode then they need to change the design of specials so they aren't an instant game over if you ever let a packmaster exist for more than a second.

This goes without saying, really. Unless you think Fatshark is made up of complete idiots you can assume they know to change/remove incapacitating specials for a solo mode. How is this even a concern?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

All of that (patch notes + DLC plans) looks great although I'm not sure I like the idea of them adding higher tier loot and making the game more dependent on what gear you have over skill.

Two other things: If they're adding a mode with no crosshair then they need to have actual ironsights on ranged weapons because right now you have to depend on the crosshairs to know where you're shooting even when aiming, and if they're adding a solo mode then they need to change the design of specials so they aren't an instant game over if you ever let a packmaster exist for more than a second.

I doubt it will be any MORE dependent upon loot than it is now. It will just make things like Cataclysm & Endless mode easier / last longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just make red items not even show up on the loot table until Nightmare or maybe even Cataclysm. Problem solved.

• Locked thread