Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

I died like a million times as the crusader, although it seems like I was crushing mad rats... not enough blocking? Not enough swiping? What am I doing wrong?

You want to stay near your team and constantly look around for rats that might come from behind so you only have to worry about fighting what's in front of you. If rats get close to you before you can swing then do a shove (attack while blocking). Alternatively if you have some space, some weapons like the two handed hammer or the shield have charge attacks that are great at crowd control.

Just assume that due to lag, if you and a rat swing at the same time you will end up taking damage, so prioritize shoving/knocking rats over before swinging at them. But watch your stamina and use dodges too so that you don't have to rely solely on shoves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MoreLikeTen posted:

Today in horn of magnus, my team heroically kept me barely alive behind the bench, with me holding a grim and a tome. I repay them by panicing when the elevator comes, leaping off the platform and taking fatal damage.

Rolled an epic mace and shield, left the party in extreme shame.

A shameful goon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the big key things to get down is that avoiding damage is more important than doing it. Taking a hit to kill a shitload of ratmen is usually not worth it, and is, in fact, kind of the rats' plan. If you see a rat winding up, it's usually better to block and keep moving rather than try to interrupt him. Blocking also sends them staggering, though not as much as pushing, which gives you an opening to charge up and sweep. Always be moving while you're fighting, too, usually with the direction of your blows; it'll actually extend the sweep if you follow it some with your body and your view.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

One hell of a helmet name and description.

E:

Also I got called "toxic" when I asked my group why they care about farming loot by cheating when they never use the loot anyways.

:psyduck:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

I died like a million times as the crusader, although it seems like I was crushing mad rats... not enough blocking? Not enough swiping? What am I doing wrong?

Not enough blocking, not enough dodging, poor positioning, not enough pushing. Not in any particular order.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dodging is way more important than blocking, imo, since you can only block so many hits even from a mob of scrawny dudes. Get good at dodging and use block only when totally unavoidable.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
elf detected

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Nah, I'm awful with elf and bw. Even if you're going shield, dodging and power attacking with the shield is way more effective than just tanking hits.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

blocking is a great way to get your actual offense started

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So what's the secret to getting better loot? Is it just playing on harder difficulties so you don't need to roll as high to get green/blue items? Or is it just playing the game a lot and fusing things?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Waci posted:

Not enough blocking, not enough dodging, poor positioning, not enough pushing. Not in any particular order.

I didn't even know I could dodge I guess I should look at the dang controls

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Kitchner posted:

So what's the secret to getting better loot? Is it just playing on harder difficulties so you don't need to roll as high to get green/blue items? Or is it just playing the game a lot and fusing things?

More blues and oranges on the loot table at higher levels. You can consistently do Nightmare maps with pubs and get some good loot. I just got a red hat for my Dwarf - god drat huge horns and a dragon on top of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Well it's pretty simple really.

1. Higher difficulty = higher rarity items at lower tiers on loot table
2. Tomes and grims = better roll at the loot table.

That's about it really. To maximize quality loot you play the hardest difficulty you can manage that doesn't preclude you from taking grimoires. If you play levels that don't have tomes/grimes then you are basically wasting your time if loot is the only thing you're after.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kitchner posted:

column a column b

I also tend to ignore Grims. The reality of the situation is that even though one grim objectively shouldn't hurt that much because it eats away the part of your health bar that you don't really use anyway, empirically, teams that were doing great beforehand will suddenly start taking a lot of extra damage and falling over once the Grim comes into play. Tomes are good, though, like objectively. Memorize tome locations and go for them.

I play mostly Nightmare and split my time between the easier longer missions like Garden of Morr or Engines of War and the funner short missions like Smuggler's Run and Man the Ramparts. I'll happily do other missions, too, but the reality of the situation is that I don't expect to get loot from them. I find Engines and Garden to be easier because they don't have difficult or complex crescendo events, so team respawns happen fairly often and are easier to get to. On Horn, if someone goes down early due to carelessness or BS, it's very rare to get them back before the gate crescendo, which can't be rushed due to the kegs spawning one at a time.

At the end of the day though, nothing replaces sheer missions played. Chance is a maximally fair system but it only makes sense in hindsight, which means that the experience it delivers feels maximally unfair. You can tip the chances in your favor doing the above, but the reality of the situation is that short of using Cheat Engine to fool the game into thinking you have 7 grims (which is possible) you cannot guarantee anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I absolutely know Engines of War is one of the easier missions but I swear to god my group is cursed on it. Every time we play it, something hilarious goes wrong. The first time we tried it on Hard, we got like 4 healing items all map and just ground down eventually. The second time, everything was going great until our fourth joined in the middle of the map, shut off his headset because god knows why, got packmastered, and started a failure cascade. The third time, once again, no healing drops and our elf died to packmaster and somehow got packmaster-dragged so far that she respawned back behind a point of no return we couldn't return to to rescue her. When we finally pulled it off on the fourth try, we had at least a few minutes near the lodge where every single PC was on bleedout.

That was an awesome run, though. Nothing feels better than just barely winning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Metrohunter posted:

blocking is a great way to get your actual offense started

this is trufax, i use it like yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuCFGcjvk0

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

This was (and kind of still is) me. What did the trick was not wading forward into the rats, but circling around sideways, slashing all the while. Rats stab forward, so if you plow forward you're running into the spears. If you circle, they're always jabbing at where you just were, not where you are now. This also has the advantage of you seeing in the periphery what will be behind you next, so there are moments where a lucky rat-slave sodomizes you with a spear.

edit: and yes, blocking and pushing are pro. Try starting off a fight with a mob by pushing first, just once. All their attacks reset, and you're that much safer.

edit 2: lets get this thread a real tag cause this one makes it look like the game is bad, which it isn't.

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 10, 2015

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Pole rat range is retarded

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

MoreLikeTen posted:

edit 2: lets get this thread a real tag cause this one makes it look like the game is bad, which it isn't.

It was set by accident, how does one change it after the fact?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Coolguye posted:

column a column b

I also tend to ignore Grims. The reality of the situation is that even though one grim objectively shouldn't hurt that much because it eats away the part of your health bar that you don't really use anyway, empirically, teams that were doing great beforehand will suddenly start taking a lot of extra damage and falling over once the Grim comes into play. Tomes are good, though, like objectively. Memorize tome locations and go for them.

I'm pretty sure Nightmare with no grims is as good or better than Hard with two and is also probably easier, especially on levels with harder crescendos.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

ReapersTouch posted:

Pole rat range is retarded

it's a pole

range is the point

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Azerban posted:

it's a pole

range is the point

On the other hand ha ha gently caress you I'm going to grab you from ten feet away with a six foot pole is a bit messed up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Skandranon posted:

mods can do it

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

xthetenth posted:

On the other hand ha ha gently caress you I'm going to grab you from ten feet away two floors above, through a wall with a six foot pole is a bit messed up.

FTFY

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

it's chaos magic, don't worry about it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty sure Nightmare with no grims is as good or better than Hard with two and is also probably easier, especially on levels with harder crescendos.

it definitely feels that way

Nightmare is really not much harder than Hard, really the biggest thing to be aware of is that clanrats will take an extra hit to kill with 'lower' gear like whites and some classes of green. this sounds like a bigger deal than it actually is, because in the general case your priorities look like this anyway:

1) don't take damage
2) kill a rat

you can get away with swapping those two on Normal, but even on Hard you will get punished for it. so if you've taken it to heart that this game's big secret sauce is fighting defensively, Nightmare is perfectly doable even with 'low' gear. you will just want to do shorter missions until you get a non-lovely blue. but the thing is, since only 0-1 hits is white on Nightmare (generally), even if you run 5 quick missions you'll be able to combine up a blue, and then you're off to the races. classy greens even do great on Nightmare, I rocked the house with a green axe and shield on the dwarf for about 10 hours of play, because it had Regrowth. honestly if it weren't for the fact that higher tier weapons do more damage i'd still be using it, my current orange axe/shield is nice (heroic killing blow/charged, chance to block not taking stamina, extra strong pushes) but regrowth was a loving delight and i really miss it.

i wouldn't go to nightmare if you are rolling in whites and have no trinkets, but you needn't have serious equipment to rock out if you're fighting clean.

e: to be clear i don't think this is reasonable on cataclysm, because cata pumps up enemy health so incredibly high that you spend too long fighting trash enemies unless everyone is rocking some serious blues and oranges, to the point where it quickly becomes more likely people are going to make a mistake just from sheer amount of time engaged. couple that with the fact that mistakes are easily 3x as costly on cata as they are on nightmare and you're well past the point where loot seriously matters.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 11, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm just talking about how the baseline has them visibly coming up short.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
My only two oranges are a sword/shield and mace/shield fir the merc, and they rolled almost identically. Both have +2 stamina and chance to regenerate ammo, the sword has frenzy chance, and the mace has chance to gain health. Ignoring the differences between the mace and the sword for the moment, did these roll well? Is there a stamina cap that I've hit?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Skandranon posted:

lock thread make new thread. with good OP

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MoreLikeTen posted:

My only two oranges are a sword/shield and mace/shield fir the merc, and they rolled almost identically. Both have +2 stamina and chance to regenerate ammo, the sword has frenzy chance, and the mace has chance to gain health. Ignoring the differences between the mace and the sword for the moment, did these roll well? Is there a stamina cap that I've hit?

Sword/shield is acceptable, mace/shield is Legit Good.

Coolguye posted:

it definitely feels that way

Nightmare is really not much harder than Hard, really the biggest thing to be aware of is that clanrats will take an extra hit to kill with 'lower' gear like whites and some classes of green. this sounds like a bigger deal than it actually is, because in the general case your priorities look like this anyway:

1) don't take damage
2) kill a rat

you can get away with swapping those two on Normal, but even on Hard you will get punished for it.

Between that, the health differential between Nightmare and 2 grim Hard, and that going up from Hard to Nightmare shifts the loot tables by 2 spots iirc (which is straight up better than 2 dice guaranteed since you get that effect plus anything the two 1/3rd dice in their place do), I think Nightmare is just flat out a better grind than Hard unless you're really getting screwed by a breakpoint that matters in a big way somehow (only thing I can think of is losing a oneshot on specials from multiple ranged weapons).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MoreLikeTen posted:

i would murder a hobo for that mace/shield, the only thing that could've been better is if the ammo regen was instead heroic killing blow or extra strong pushes, beyond that it is pretty much ideal.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 11, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
rolled orange dual dragon pistols for the dwarf. 20% less damage taken while venting 10% less heat built and something else. Not greatb ut eh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

stopped at 10% less heat built and knew you had a great set of drakefires

never let them go

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Coolguye posted:

stopped at 10% less heat built and knew you had a great set of drakefires

never let them go

10% less heat built seems the only good trait. I switch to my melee when im almostm axed on damage.

Oh the other one is attack speed is faster kinda cool I guess?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that's ok

the thing about drakefires is that the weapon itself is so incredibly good that modifiers are almost superfluous. targeteer is nice but ultimately eh because the spread is still too big to use from too far away, attack speed is kinda neato but ultimately eh because the heat will cap you anyway. two fireballs in one is kinda funny but ultimately pointless because the chance is so low. my current set is targeteer and two fireballs like 3% of the time, and aside from the added dollop of damage from being blue vs green i really haven't noticed any difference between it and my last set of drakes. i'd be pretty excited to find a set of drakefires with bloodlust or regrowth on them but i haven't even heard of one yet, let alone seen one.

reduced heat buildup is basically the only one i can think of that i'd be really excited to see that i've actually seen on drakefires.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

xthetenth posted:

I'm just talking about how the baseline has them visibly coming up short.

I got pulled off a balcony, across the small courtyard with the well objective, and up into a roof.

Seems a little excessive, just sayin.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

My extra fireball chance on my pistols is 15% but I rarely notice it mattering since decent shots oneshot clan rats below cataclysm

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i would murder a hobo for that mace/shield, the only thing that could've been better is if the ammo regen was instead heroic killing blow or extra strong pushes, beyond that it is pretty much ideal.

I'd prefer +2 stamina tbh, but the ~25% chance has served me decently thus far.

Also, I really wish the "MUSIC" volume slider actually, you know, controlled the drat music volume (yes, even in the inn).

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

xthetenth posted:

Between that, the health differential between Nightmare and 2 grim Hard, and that going up from Hard to Nightmare shifts the loot tables by 2 spots iirc (which is straight up better than 2 dice guaranteed since you get that effect plus anything the two 1/3rd dice in their place do), I think Nightmare is just flat out a better grind than Hard unless you're really getting screwed by a breakpoint that matters in a big way somehow (only thing I can think of is losing a oneshot on specials from multiple ranged weapons).

Friendly Fire makes Nightmare an absolute slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Taear posted:

Friendly Fire makes Nightmare an absolute slog.

Just be careful and stop firing into melee, except for the specialist 'fire-into-melee' weapons.

• Locked thread