Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

go3 posted:

Don't work for assholes. It is the Golden Rule of my MSP when debating whether to take on a new client. "Would I work for this person? Would I have a drink with this person?" If either answer is no, then I tell them it won't work out and best of luck.

I've finally snagged a job that offers a pension, and once I'm past my probation period it'll be drat hard for them to fire me.
I plan on sticking around for a while if I can help it. Assholes or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

go3 posted:

Don't work for assholes. It is the Golden Rule of my MSP when debating whether to take on a new client. "Would I work for this person? Would I have a drink with this person?" If either answer is no, then I tell them it won't work out and best of luck.

My father ran a business and I worked for him for 5 or 6 years, if some potential customer pissed him off, he'd add a line item that read "+20% aggravation fee" to the quote he would send me, obviously the potential never saw this, but if they bit on the higher cost, it generally made up for whatever bullshit we'd deal with for our few encounters... Although sometimes it was a pain and backfired, but +20% profit on top of 10K jobs is nothing to sneeze at, especially when I was getting 13% of that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
"We're turning this back room into a data suppository..." - My boss just now to a potential business client.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Segmentation Fault posted:

"We're turning this back room into a data suppository..." - My boss just now to a potential business client.

Well, did it fit?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Master Control Unplugs a Bunch of poo poo:

The playout system for one of our channels was being wonky and just broadcasting black sometimes instead of moving on with the scheduled programming. A ticket was submitted and the CE was personally informed of the problem. He never did anything about it and the system started broadcasting black at 3:00 this morning.

Soooo, the master control operator decided he would reboot the system.

By unplugging it.

Except, he unplugged five different things before stumbling across the correct power cable.

Boy, did I have a fun time trying to figure out why none of our poo poo was working this morning and trying to explain it to people.

CE Doesn't Understand Lightbulbs and Also Suffers From Extreme Paranoia:

Apparently, we're on a lightbulb changing spree because yesterday, in the middle of the day in a stairwell that is 80% windows to the outside, an employee tripped and fell down and submitted a ticket blaming the lack of lights.

Normally, we'd replace them with the customary high-intensity halogen monstrosities that litter this building and blind whoever looks in their general direction, but CE decided that 60w consumer-grade CFLs would suffice. The ceiling is a good 30' high, so it involved climbing a ladder and using a bulb rod to change them out. I warned CE that this was a lot of effort for something that wouldn't work. He asked why it wouldn't work and I told him that I bet him $20 the lights would pop within a few minutes due to the huge amount of power supplied by these specialty sockets. He scoffed and proceeded to change all the lights and then go to lunch.

Within five minutes, they all began blowing. He came back and asked me why I turned the lights off. I told him they all blew and to give me $20.

But, wait. Hold on a minute. All these lights are clearly defective. WE'LL REPLACE THEM ALL WITH THE EXACT SAME KIND.

Pop pop pop pop pop they go.

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

There goes our entire inventory of CFLs.

CE is convinced it's because the bases are too large because why the gently caress wouldn't that be the cause.

Now the stairwell is still "dark" and littered with glass shards and he just does not give one single gently caress because a strange man has been hanging around outside the building all day and he's really suspicious, so supervisor has been camped out in an alley spying on him for a good two hours.

The guy is a surveyor for the city

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
A ticket came in: I tripped again and this time there were shards of glass all over the floor. Please do the needful.

:munch:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Half my team called in sick today.

I wonder how many forget that we're in one or two of the same Steam groups and I can see how many hours of Fallout 4 they've logged since last night.

I don't mind an employee under my supervision taking a personal day for whatever reason, and I actively encourage my guys to do so. But seriously, can we at least have 50% ticket queue coverage please?

Last week all but one swore up and down they'd be here today, too.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Most, if not all of our dev team took the day off for Fallout 4. I sure hope nothing critical breaks in our software before they get back.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

larchesdanrew posted:

Now the stairwell is still "dark" and littered with glass shards and he just does not give one single gently caress because a strange man has been hanging around outside the building all day and he's really suspicious, so supervisor has been camped out in an alley spying on him for a good two hours.

:allears:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

I was kind of hoping the CE was a master troll all along but this rules too

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's kind of going from funny to sad as it becomes clearer and clearer that the CE is extremely unwell and his ability to sorta keep a news channel on the air is the only thing that's keeping him out of dumpsters scavenging for food.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
My manager manged just to email the word "Sick" in.
He's also admitted in the past he was the kind of guy that would stay up late playing games (his wife had scolded him on this before)

Also OMG: I was not expecting anything major in larches' last 2 weeks, but that last bit...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lightning Jim posted:

My manager manged just to email the word "Sick" in.
He's also admitted in the past he was the kind of guy that would stay up late playing games (his wife had scolded him on this before)

Also OMG: I was not expecting anything major in larches' last 2 weeks, but that last bit...

You think he's more of a Fallout or a StarCraft kind of guy?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MF_James posted:

My father ran a business and I worked for him for 5 or 6 years, if some potential customer pissed him off, he'd add a line item that read "+20% aggravation fee" to the quote he would send me, obviously the potential never saw this, but if they bit on the higher cost, it generally made up for whatever bullshit we'd deal with for our few encounters... Although sometimes it was a pain and backfired, but +20% profit on top of 10K jobs is nothing to sneeze at, especially when I was getting 13% of that.

Time might be infinite but our use of it is not and we're better off spending it on people that aren't shitheads

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Fallout; I can't remember what game it was last time he mentioned but I think it was an Elder Scrolls

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You think he's more of a Fallout or a StarCraft kind of guy?

I got told in no uncertain terms that if I was absent this week, barring a hospital visit, I would be in a heap of poo poo.
This was told to me by the VP.
He's 4 hours into F4 now according to his Steam profile, and I'm assuming at least a few missions into LotV. Son of a bitch.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Antioch posted:

I got told in no uncertain terms that if I was absent this week, barring a hospital visit, I would be in a heap of poo poo.
He's 4 hours into F4 now according to his Steam profile, and I'm assuming at least a few missions into LotV. Son of a bitch.

:rant: you better not gently caress off of work at the same time I'm planning on loving off of work! This is serious poo poo!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I was feeling a bit ill this morning, but decided to go to work anyway because I was worried people would think I was just staying home to play Fallout 4. I have tomorrow off for Rememberance Day anyway, and wasn't feeling that bad.

Turns out I'm much more I'll than I initially thought, so I've ended up spending the whole day messing around with customized Windows 10 start menus instead of anything constructive.

Also congrats larchesdanrew for finally :yotj:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Apparently, we're on a lightbulb changing spree because yesterday, in the middle of the day in a stairwell that is 80% windows to the outside, an employee tripped and fell down and submitted a ticket blaming the lack of lights.

Normally, we'd replace them with the customary high-intensity halogen monstrosities that litter this building and blind whoever looks in their general direction, but CE decided that 60w consumer-grade CFLs would suffice. The ceiling is a good 30' high, so it involved climbing a ladder and using a bulb rod to change them out. I warned CE that this was a lot of effort for something that wouldn't work. He asked why it wouldn't work and I told him that I bet him $20 the lights would pop within a few minutes due to the huge amount of power supplied by these specialty sockets. He scoffed and proceeded to change all the lights and then go to lunch.

Within five minutes, they all began blowing. He came back and asked me why I turned the lights off. I told him they all blew and to give me $20.

But, wait. Hold on a minute. All these lights are clearly defective. WE'LL REPLACE THEM ALL WITH THE EXACT SAME KIND.

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

CE is convinced it's because the bases are too large because why the gently caress wouldn't that be the cause.

This... This cannot be real

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Lightning Jim posted:

Fallout; I can't remember what game it was last time he mentioned but I think it was an Elder Scrolls

Skyrim.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Anyone about to get back on the Starcraft ladder? :ohdear: Easily the most stressful/demanding game I've ever played I don't know why I'm doing this to myself

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Antioch posted:

I would totally send him a message asking him how the Nuka Cola tastes, and then follow up saying that I think it tastes like lies and heartbreak.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Hey guys, we have a lot of people who remote in and I encounter a lot of credential issues where (for example) the username/password box keeps popping up in outlook. Usually having them connect to the VPN, lock the computer, and unlock it makes it go away - I was wondering if there is some way to get a dump of the stored credential/security information on the laptop as well as the AD server itself so I can show that it is the issue instead of going 'it just works..' when I tell people to do that.

Or am I way off track and does this not do anything and it just works because *reasons*?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Danith posted:

Hey guys, we have a lot of people who remote in and I encounter a lot of credential issues where (for example) the username/password box keeps popping up in outlook. Usually having them connect to the VPN, lock the computer, and unlock it makes it go away - I was wondering if there is some way to get a dump of the stored credential/security information on the laptop as well as the AD server itself so I can show that it is the issue instead of going 'it just works..' when I tell people to do that.

Or am I way off track and does this not do anything and it just works because *reasons*?

Easiest explanation? They disconnected from the corp network when they left and have no server to authenticate to until they're on VPN. No log dumps or other work necessary, if you tried explaining and they don't get it, revoke their remote access for being clueless.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-really-letting-no-one-have-it-during-exit-inte-51809

This seems appropriate

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Ozz81 posted:

Easiest explanation? They disconnected from the corp network when they left and have no server to authenticate to until they're on VPN. No log dumps or other work necessary, if you tried explaining and they don't get it, revoke their remote access for being clueless.

Ya but even when their VPN'd in they can get the popup over and over again. It's like the credentials on the laptop aren't matching whats on the server and they don't update unless you try to log on/unlock account

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Danith posted:

Ya but even when their VPN'd in they can get the popup over and over again. It's like the credentials on the laptop aren't matching whats on the server and they don't update unless you try to log on/unlock account

Might be something to do with how Autodiscover/DNS is working over the VPN.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A finance director at our company came in with his personal $300 special laptop and said "fix this for me", and I said "sure, $40 an hour".

I now have $280 on my way, which will come in handy after I get laid off.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

larchesdanrew posted:

The playout system for one of our channels was being wonky and just broadcasting black sometimes instead of moving on with the scheduled programming. A ticket was submitted and the CE was personally informed of the problem. He never did anything about it and the system started broadcasting black at 3:00 this morning.

By unplugging it.

Except, he unplugged five different things before stumbling across the correct power cable.

Boy, did I have a fun time trying to figure out why none of our poo poo was working this morning and trying to explain it to people.

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

Are those glass shards from popped CFL's? Because that's kind of a hazard.

http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl

Edit: nm read that page more and it's just as bad as a normal fluorescent. Nothing to see here .

ptier fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

larchesdanrew posted:

He came back and asked me why I turned the lights off.

Everytime I think I've figured out how dumb this guy is, larches posts stuff like this. :golfclap:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, you are trying to set up for a meeting. No, I am not at the office. It is 7:00 in the goddamned morning. No, I will not take care of this when I get in, I won't be there for about two hours and I assume that is much too late to be of any use whatsoever. If you need help at a meeting, tell me the day before, you loving idiots.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Danith posted:

Do they shutdown their laptop or does it just go into sleep? We had the issue here where people would just close the lid, then go home and try to continue working. Regardless, if they want to login to Outlook the proper credentials if they get a popup is domain\username and then password. Just user name doesn't work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

By unplugging it.

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

I cannot for the life of me understand how you haven't gone into short timer mode yet.

Did you get the $20?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Wifi annoys me at times:

Getting lots of packet loss at home (20%) and my itunes keeps dying ungracefully mid-song (tracks are on NAS and apparently buffering is something that Apple thinks other people should do)
Fire up my handy wifi phone app and find that all 6 wifi routers in range have all decided to use channel 11.

Manually lock my router to channel 1 and all is good.

That was yesterday. Now they have all decided to use channel 1.

It's like they have a herd instinct. Like lemmings.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Volmarias posted:

Did you get the $20?

Hahaha, you know the answer.

Also speaking of ridiculous lighting, our GM a few months ago bought some outdoor florescent bulbs instead of the soft-white or whatever you call them and put them into the radio control room.

A room that's smaller than my bedroom at home has four outdoor lights on the ceiling and without fail every time a new person comes in their first question is "Jesus why is it so loving bright?"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

spog posted:

It's like they have a herd instinct. Like lemmings.
So are you saying you have buffalo routers?

Sounds like interference on 2.4ghz?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Malek posted:

Skyrim.

Yep, now that you mention it, that was the specific one.
Still haven't seen any emails from him yet so let's see if he comes in today

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

larchesdanrew posted:

By unplugging it.

THIRD TIMES A CHARM.

Pop pop pop pop pop.

As a non IT lurker, I am phenomenally glad that you're getting out of there. But my god these are amazing stories you have from that job.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Much to my own surprise we have a full team here today - except the guy who's on morphine for a broken spine.

One PM was looking a bit haggard though, so I poked her a bit and we have a winner. Right now she's sipping coffee and putting a new gaming rig together online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Introducing Buffalo LED Bulbs! Tired of storing your data on drives? Store them in the cloud, with your lights!
Keep them out of sight AND brighten up your rooms!
Our patented Bulb technology allows it to power storage and light at the same time!
* Warning: filling up with too much data or wattage will damage your bulbs

• Locked thread