Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
hail python3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

hail python3

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bloody posted:

oh lemme guess it stems entirely from people using garbage languages/libs/tools/platforms

ie every one

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if you encode or decode a string and get an object of the same type back, you may be working with a bad language

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

why is string janitoring still a thing ityool 2015

Bloody posted:

oh lemme guess it stems entirely from people using garbage languages/libs/tools/platforms

human language doesn't fit a nifty box of "this is the algorithm for it" where you open a book and encode it. It goes in with calendars, time, language, grammar, cultural references and whatnot that needs to reflect real human needs rather than being able to ship an approximate model and hoping people do the effort of handling the mismatch.

The real problem has been more or less a historical trend of computer people denying the complexity of the thing and shaggaring their way by saying "just use ascii you moron", shipping the first thing that works, and building systems without taking the time to figure out the underlying requirements -- just slinging solutions as fast as possible without properly studying the subject matter. If it appears to work, it works and whee off we go, wish very hard that someone can finally abstract language as an array of characters I don't want to worry about it please.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also, racism

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
and terrible engineering

the history of string encodings is the history of trying and failing to have fixed width binary encodings

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

hoping people do the effort of handling the mismatch

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

tef posted:

and terrible engineering

the history of string encodings is the history of trying and failing to have fixed width binary encodings

it's me im han unification

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

human language doesn't fit a nifty box of "this is the algorithm for it" where you open a book and encode it. It goes in with calendars, time, language, grammar, cultural references and whatnot that needs to reflect real human needs rather than being able to ship an approximate model and hoping people do the effort of handling the mismatch.

The real problem has been more or less a historical trend of computer people denying the complexity of the thing and shaggaring their way by saying "just use ascii you moron", shipping the first thing that works, and building systems without taking the time to figure out the underlying requirements -- just slinging solutions as fast as possible without properly studying the subject matter. If it appears to work, it works and whee off we go, wish very hard that someone can finally abstract language as an array of characters I don't want to worry about it please.

use Unicode aka utf-8

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
NFC or NFD?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whichever one is the default for java or c#.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
near field... domination?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

tef posted:

NFC or NFD?

precomposed obviously ugh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
(answer is probably NFC)

A: The choice of which to use depends on the particular program or system. NFC is the best form for general text, since it is more compatible with strings converted from legacy encodings. NFKC is the preferred form for identifiers, especially where there are security concerns (see UTR #36). NFD and NFKD are most useful for internal processing.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

remember to normalize up to a fixed point!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
fixed point
no dynamic alloc
fox only
final destination

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

fixed point
no dynamic alloc
fox only
final destination

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think I'm doing the responsible thing by saying'this problem is really difficult, it should be handled by someone who cares'

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i think I'm doing the responsible thing by saying'this problem is really difficult, it should be handled by someone who cares'

yah like w/ crypto

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
i'm trying to find an essay / blog post posted here a while ago, but I'm having trouble finding it. i'm hoping someone can tell which one i mean given the vauge description below and re-post the link.

i remember it being fairly lengthy and describing the history of OOP and some of the problems it was intended to solve, but how functional programming solves many of those problems better than OOP does.

also i think the site had a cool domain name, or at least the blog itself did??

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tef posted:

utf-8 read as latin-1

oh man i recently fixed a long-standing issue we had: database was created as latin1, connections had been set as utf8 from the start. were finally all utf8 ugh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tef posted:

and terrible engineering

ever worked with pre-Unicode variable length encodings? euc, shiftjis, ISO-2022., gb2312 ... fun times

(and a great way to get a feeling for why Han unification seemed like a good idea at the time)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

compuserved posted:

i'm trying to find an essay / blog post posted here a while ago, but I'm having trouble finding it. i'm hoping someone can tell which one i mean given the vauge description below and re-post the link.

i remember it being fairly lengthy and describing the history of OOP and some of the problems it was intended to solve, but how functional programming solves many of those problems better than OOP does.

it's almost certainly not this but it's a great rant and i'm linking it anyway.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

it's almost certainly not this but it's a great rant and i'm linking it anyway.

yeah, this isn't it, but thanks for sharing. :) it is a good read

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

compuserved posted:

i dont know the blog you're talking about but oop is a giant confusing mess that's only "easy" because people have spent literally millions of hours on tooling and libraries and convinced everyone to spend years convincing themselves it makes sense somehow

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

compuserved posted:

found it!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

It's a reaaaaalllly long incoherant rant. much like my posting

quote:

I am taking an ecumenical, universalist approach to OOP. Below I will refer to all of these languages as OOP: C++, Java, Scala, PHP, Ruby, and Javascript. Is that fair? I know, from personal experience, some proponents of Java will complain that Ruby and PHP lack compile time data-type checking and therefore should not be considered OOP. And I know, from personal experience, some proponents of Ruby will argue that in Ruby everything is an object, whereas Java still has non-object primitives (such as integers), and therefore Ruby is more of an OOP language than Java. I know that some critics of PHP will argue that OOP features were bolted on to PHP and it should not be taken seriously as an OOP language. I know some people will point out that Scala is multi-paradigm and it is as easy to work in the “functional paradigm” with Scala as it is easy to work with the object oriented paradigm.

Continues for a thousand paragraphs ............ :words:

quote:

Consider this remark by “millstone” on Hacker News:

I'd rather not

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont need to read a thing to tell me why oop is bad

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

jre posted:

It's a reaaaaalllly long incoherant rant. much like my posting

Continues for a thousand paragraphs ............ :words:

I'd rather not

it's 100x longer than i remembered and is definitely a rant... what jony neuemonic posted is better

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
to the extent that oop is bad, it's probably more because of the p than the oo

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

to the extent that oop is bad, it's probably more because of the p than the oo

oop
opo
poo

makes a lot more sense now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont need to read a thing to tell me why oop is bad

without reading imma guess it starts out nice, points out an obvious OOP deficiency, then launches into a tirade against state existing anywhere and laments our mutable universe before declaring LISP our savior

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah you dont need no state ever you just need to put up some reasonable barriers to mutating anywhere and everywhere at any time

as always, dogma is bad.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 11, 2015

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
i don't recommend reading it tbh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
static dogma const int i=0;

uh

can someone loan me a universe where i is 1

e: he spends a lot of time on that hn quote

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 11, 2015

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
why oop bad

3 words or less

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And what's the deal with lines ending in semicolons!?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if u dont use a language with semicolons u hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

sometimes i log messages that contain semicolons in my python code. does that count.