Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Geostomp posted:

So the story is that this apparently huge ship was launched before the end of ME3 to side step the RGB issue, isn't it?

Yes it's the theory I've seen, a sort of failsafe in case the Reapers won, sending people to another galaxy. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Clearly, Conrad is going to be on your team.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beefstew posted:

Moving to a new galaxy and forgetting most of the other series is good. The story of the characters/most races are complete anyway. To add anything more to the Krogan or the Reapers or the Geth or Garrus would just feel forced and stupid. Though there might be a few decent callbacks here and there.

Anyway, if we're to assume that Shepard's narration in that trailer is canon, then the only ending option is Destroy. In Refusal, everyone dies. In Synthesis, Shepard dies (and I highly doubt they're going to have the entire universe as hippie cyborgs in Andromeda). And in Control, Shepard no longer identifies as "Commander Shepard", so she wouldn't speak like that in the first place. So Max EMS Destroy is the canon ending.

Nope, the Andromeda mission launched sometime before the end of ME3, I guarantee it. I'm so confident I will :toxx: it. That way they don't have to write a canon ending. poo poo, it could have launched before even ME2, maybe something Shepard put in motion in case they were unsuccessful at stopping the Reapers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's not a lot of words in the English language that I hate more than "canon".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lycus posted:

There's not a lot of words in the English language that I hate more than "canon".

Yeah it's dumb as hell but they wrote themselves a conclusive ending and then decided to make more games so :shrug:

I still don't see what the hell would be so difficult about setting the next game a couple hundred years down the pipe. All the human characters could be dead but you could still have aliens like Liara and Wrex show up, and as much as people stupidly froth at the mouth (hopefully not anymore) about sentient hats and green glowy bits, the important thing in the setting is that the Reapers stopped Reaping, and that happened in every ending except the stupid spiteful one they added in post-extended cut.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is it weird that the next game is only a year away and we haven't seen any gameplay yet?

edit: Also, I wish at some point they'd make another game set during the same time period as ME1.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 7, 2015

midwat
May 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Nope, the Andromeda mission launched sometime before the end of ME3, I guarantee it. I'm so confident I will :toxx: it. That way they don't have to write a canon ending. poo poo, it could have launched before even ME2, maybe something Shepard put in motion in case they were unsuccessful at stopping the Reapers.

If the Shepard speech is actually a send-off, it'd pretty much have to have been recorded between the first and second games. He's regarded as somewhat of a rogue agent from the start of ME2 to the very beginning of ME3. Guess it could've been done in the middle of ME3, but there were other things to do (like hosting a pretty sick kegger).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

midwat posted:

If the Shepard speech is actually a send-off, it'd pretty much have to have been recorded between the first and second games. He's regarded as somewhat of a rogue agent from the start of ME2 to the very beginning of ME3. Guess it could've been done in the middle of ME3, but there were other things to do (like hosting a pretty sick kegger).

Yeah, based on the tech and style of stuff in the videos put out so far I'm guessing it will have been something that they'll retcon somewhere into the storyline of ME3. Which seems kind of dumb but okay.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Shep just recorded the sendoff message during one of the ten thousand loading screens. You don't know which one. Canon preserved. :c00l:

the faster Bioware can jettison canon and maybe tell a good story again the better. If they could do both, well, they can't.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Abloo abloo. No such thing as canon. I can't bear to think my beloved sex robot is dead. Or my geth brethren. Abloo abloo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I still got a chill when the Vigil theme played at the end :kimchi:

That music always gets to me

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Spacebump posted:

Is it weird that the next game is only a year away and we haven't seen any gameplay yet?
We didn't hear a word about Fallout 4 until about four months before launch, but maybe that's not the best example.

It looks like the gameplay trailer for DA:I dropped in April 2014 and released in November, so perhaps they're following the same pattern here.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The 4D ride thing will be called Mass Effect: New Earth, some concept art at that link.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm still so attached to my Fem Shep that just her voice makes me all :3: And that beautiful Vigil theme at the end got me all teary again.

Also, neckbeards are crying bitter tears and claiming that feminazis have taken over Bioware and ruined Mass Effect :supaburn: - http://miyku.tumblr.com/post/132742497777

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Noirex posted:

I'm still so attached to my Fem Shep that just her voice makes me all :3: And that beautiful Vigil theme at the end got me all teary again.

Also, neckbeards are crying bitter tears and claiming that feminazis have taken over Bioware and ruined Mass Effect :supaburn: - http://miyku.tumblr.com/post/132742497777

Anything that makes neckbeards hyperventilate is okay with me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lycus posted:

Same. Also the idea behind it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aces High posted:

I still got a chill when the Vigil theme played at the end :kimchi:

That music always gets to me

I only just got around to watching the video, and yeah. :kimchi:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Noirex posted:

They should do a MaleShep one that's just Mark Meer saying "You should go" in various ways.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Noirex posted:

I really do admire Bioware for continuing to make games that don't 100% focus on straight, white, males when a large portion of the people buying their games are complete assholes who have breakdowns at the thought of a trailer starring a woman, or a gay character being part of your party. For all of Bioware's faults, I'm glad they exist to further enrage assholes like them.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Codependent Poster posted:

They should do a MaleShep one that's just Mark Meer saying "You should go" in various ways.

I liked both styles and voice actors to be honest. I will admit I laughed harder at mark Meer's deadpan sarcasm and "you... Stupid jellyfish."I tend to mix paragon and renegade and for Hale's performance it can be really weird as she really made them two different characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Meer's Shepard does sarcasm better than Hale's. The scene in the vaults is much funnier with MShep than FShep. And Evil Shepard going "IIIiiii should go".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think they both played very different sheps.
Meer's paragon was kind of an annoying boyscout and renegade was a hilariously smug dick.
Hale's paragon was a serious, driven, professional and renegade was...kind of an unhinged psycho.

I loved both sets of performances.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Meer made the sensible choice of not putting on a different voice for the renegade "character".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Lycus posted:

"headcanon"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

, what is this thread still exist?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Arglebargle III posted:

, what is this thread still exist?

What happened to your krogan av?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So in ME2 if you used gibbed to add squadmates earlier in the game some of them had extra dialogue, is the same true for any squadmates in ME3?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

JawKnee posted:

So in ME2 if you used gibbed to add squadmates earlier in the game some of them had extra dialogue, is the same true for any squadmates in ME3?

No. That happened because lines were recorded before the ME2 team decided to go with 2 discs and segregated the recruitment missions.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Zoran posted:

No. That happened because lines were recorded before the ME2 team decided to go with 2 discs and segregated the recruitment missions.

Wasn't it less a decision and more that the Xbox needed two discs?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Trast posted:

Wasn't it less a decision and more that the Xbox needed two discs?
Yeah since it didn't have blu-ray drive. XB1/PS4 don't have that problem so it shouldn't come up this time around.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Lt. Danger posted:

"headcanon"

The "Lore" is pretty high on the list too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait, how come Mass Effect 3 only needed one disc for the 360? Did they get better at compressing stuff? Or is ME3 a smaller game? (it doesn't feel smaller)

My Q-Face posted:

What happened to your krogan av?

I also want to know this. :mad:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hedrigall posted:

Wait, how come Mass Effect 3 only needed one disc for the 360? Did they get better at compressing stuff? Or is ME3 a smaller game? (it doesn't feel smaller)

Uhh, wasn't ME3 a 2 disc game on the 360?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kurieg posted:

Uhh, wasn't ME3 a 2 disc game on the 360?

Yes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I am dumb for not remembering then, aren't I???

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I will be honest about my Andromeda expectations. If it turns out to recapture a lot of the magic the trilogy had when it did things right I will be very happy. But right now my big demand would be a fully realized multiplayer that built off the success of the ME3 MP which was mostly tacked on from a failed stand alone game.

All krogan MP rounds always left me in awe and laughing my rear end off.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Trast posted:

I will be honest about my Andromeda expectations. If it turns out to recapture a lot of the magic the trilogy had when it did things right I will be very happy. But right now my big demand would be a fully realized multiplayer that built off the success of the ME3 MP which was mostly tacked on from a failed stand alone game.

All krogan MP rounds always left me in awe and laughing my rear end off.

I still think the setting of Andromeda sounds really contrived. It's simultaneously completely detached from the original setting, but also promises to bring back fan favorite things like all the alien species and Makos. It really feels like Bioware wants it both ways; they desperately want to ignore the original series so as to avoid its baggage while desperately wanting to invoke all the positive aspects of it. With as little as we know right now, it's admittedly premature to judge fairly, but that's just how it feels at the moment to me.

I honestly think that if they were deadset on not addressing the ending of the original, it would've been better to just keep this in the Milky Way as a completely different, Reaper-free reality, but that probably would've been really confusing to market.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still want Archangel: Omega Origins. It would never live up to my imagination, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole move just strikes me as cowardly, like they have no idea where to go with the franchise and so will effectively reboot the basic plot beats of the original in a new galaxy with endless callbacks to how Krogan like to fight and Asari loooove to screw. Civilization rebuilding a changed galaxy without any imminent threat could have been an interesting setting all on its own, but Bioware has apparently lost all confidence in its writing that isn't groveling fan service. No sense of ambition whatsoever and every preview so far has come off like a bad Halo clone. That said, will buy if they bring back the multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware has apparently lost all confidence in its writing that isn't groveling fan service. No sense of ambition whatsoever and every preview so far has come off like a bad Halo clone. That said, will buy if they bring back the multiplayer.

Haha. You're as right about this now as anyone with a brain was ten years ago.

• Locked thread