Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

It's an interesting problem, because many reporters are just looking for that one thing they can use to delegitimatize the protest. It might be the same reason you refuse to let James O'Keefe in.

James O'Keefe has never represented himself as a credentialed journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

zoux posted:

James O'Keefe has never represented himself as a credentialed journalist.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm not sure the reporters trying to get in to the protest had the, shall we say, "reputation" James O'Keefe did, though. Does anyone know anything about the reporter(s) filming?

He's merely an example. The point is that mainstream media has generally shown themselves in the past to not have protests' best interests in mind. Whether because of ideological malice or simply favoring exciting exceptions over boring commonality or a delusional adherence to "truth in the middle", reporters are not your friend.

Why do you think companies prefer to send out press releases rather than let a reporter in to investigate?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shoving reporters off a public green space might not be the smartest solution to that problem, as they admitted.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: oh there's a debate thread

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Shoving reporters off a public green space might not be the smartest solution to that problem, as they admitted.

Agreed, simply killing all reporters would solve this problem entirely.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The BLM Mall of America protest organizers finally and rightly had charges dropped against them. Keep in mind they had left the MOA after the final warning and include a few deacons and pastors.

The white people bitching about it in the comments on FB are great.

That was a good protest

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tempest_56 posted:

Still a dumb argument, since it boils down to "DWS scheduled a debate on something that wasn't a Tuesday or Wednesday before February. CONSPIRACY!" There is a LOT of goddamn football on TV.

Somebody
isn't down for some Tuesday MACtion :colbert:

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

zoux posted:

suckin dick
bought this office

radical meme posted:

Change the thread title to this please. Please!

Yes.

Armani fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 11, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

I can think of worse Christmas songs.

~Siiiimply haaaaving a wonderful Christmastime~
I hate Santa Baby myself. Sorry Eartha Kitt, but I want to shoot myself every time I hear it. Ever been stuck in a store during Christmas shopping so long that the canned music tape starts over?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
USPOL November the wages are too drat high!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

USPOL November the wages are too drat high!

Yeah I think this is tonight's takeaway, Cruz's partiality for hummers aside.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Maybe Ben Carson was right? :tinfoil:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/pyramid-scan-anomaly_56417a19e4b0b24aee4ba9ad?ncid&section=australia&adsSiteOverride=au

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

The BLM Mall of America protest organizers finally and rightly had charges dropped against them. Keep in mind they had left the MOA after the final warning and include a few deacons and pastors.

The white people bitching about it in the comments on FB are great.

That was a good protest
But there are no black people in Minnesota. :confused:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

"a caliphate the size of Indiana". Let's go a step further and turn Indiana into a caliphate. As someone who lives here I assure you it would only be an improvement.

edit: we could replace those godawful pork tenderloin sandwiches with shawarma. Do the spicy cucumber sauce instead of the regular to make it locally distinct. Everyone on board with that?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 11, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

"a caliphate the size of Indiana". Let's go a step further and turn Indiana into a caliphate. As someone who lives here I assure you it would only be an improvement.

Indiana is responsible for one of the two Muslim members of Congress, so maybe you're closer than you think!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, now, Indiana is finally getting an IKEA! :dance:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

That was no poo poo a source of great rejoicing today among everyone I know.

Myself included. I can finally get rid of my greatwill and donated furniture, get something that at least isn't hideous when you see it in good lighting.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Facebook is blowing up that MU'S campus has gone to hell. Someone on yikyak claimed they planned to shoot any black person they see so classes are allegedly closing tomorrow.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bluedeanie posted:

Facebook is blowing up that MU'S campus has gone to hell. Someone on yikyak claimed they planned to shoot any black person they see so classes are allegedly closing tomorrow.
If the uppity football players had kept quiet this wouldn't have happened

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mizzou is saying the social threats are being reported and MUPD have apparently called at least one "credible."

http://mualert.missouri.edu/

My brother confirmed at least one of his classes will be canceled. I've heard reports of anything from the student center being evacuated to the KKK demonstrating in Greek town but none of that I can verify.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bluedeanie posted:

Mission accomplished I suspect!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Hearing from students that MU is on lockdown - someone posted a message on YikYak (like an anonymous Twitter) telling people not to go to campus tomorrow, and there's stuff on /b/ about a possible shooter as well. Plus the Black Culture Center had a threat called in. :(

edit: beaten

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wouldn't campus be closed tomorrow anyway as its veterans' day?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OAquinas posted:

Wouldn't campus be closed tomorrow anyway as its veterans' day?

In general, when there are holidays they try to append them to the weekend (so either the nearest monday or friday).

It's also quite likely that they don't take veterans' day off. My university doesn't and we are historically a military academy.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
So why the hell is MU being threatened

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm hearing poo poo on the Twitters about an armed group dressed all in white at Mizzou. Is that bullshit?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mizzou has not taken vets day off since at least when I went there 07-11, and my brother has an exam tomorrow so he's probably not going to stay home despite my insistence.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ah. I'm going to a florida public uni (your condolences and my shame will be in a small box to the side) and the school is respecting the federal holiday tomorrow.

Ah, yep, U of Missouri doesn't take Veterans' day off at all.

Academic Calendar posted:

Class work begins at 8 a.m. Monday August 24
Labor Day Holiday (no classes) Monday September 7
Thanksgiving recess begins at close of day* Saturday November 21
Class work resumes at 8 a.m. Monday November 30

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 11, 2015

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Petr posted:

I'm hearing poo poo on the Twitters about an armed group dressed all in white at Mizzou. Is that bullshit?

I feel like this would be all over every news station if it was true

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

As far as I understand, national media hasn't actually set foot in Columbia for any of this, as they're waiting for local papers and stations to put their stuff on the wire or relying on student freelancers. Between literal and repeated threats of violence on/toward campus and a group of protesters' well-intentioned but ill-advised barricading of a public space in an attempt to keep media out, I'm not sure I'd really count on them getting a scoop on any of this.

And remember how during Ferguson Don Lemon was on the ground literally being teargassed and started to say as much, but then STL PD claimed on twitter that they were not using tear gas and were just firing "smoke" and he immediately changed his story to how it was smoke, while coughing and gagging through tear gas? I wouldn't put much stock in what cable news has to say about anything important at all these days.

e: Mizzou hires some real great professors these days!

https://twitter.com/JustDesmund/status/664305685987901440

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 11, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm skipping ahead, sorry, but poo poo at Mizzou is getting ridiculous.

There are reports of bricks thrown. The Black Multi-Cultural center has been threatened. There are threats of a shooting tomorrow. Specifically someone threatened to shoot every black student he saw. A white professor e-mailed his students to tell them they are having an exam tomorrow because if they don't have class "the bullies" win. This poo poo is loving out of control. It is goddamned shameful. The student government sent administrators a message demanding they cancel class in light of threats, and if they do not cancel class they are going to tell students to not show up anyway. According to the MSA (StuCo essentially) Pres, the KKK has been sighted on campus. The response by the administration, namely nothing, is the exact reason these protests are happening

Keep eyes on Mizzou, this poo poo is not over. Not by a long shot.

To anyone here connected to Mizzou, stay safe y'all.

Edit: On a side note, I loving hate Yik-Yak. Holy gently caress. Is it used for anything positive? Holy poo poo, anonymous threats of violence and racist jokes. Hooray anonymity! gently caress this loving earth.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 11, 2015

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rexicon1 posted:

This was my reaction too, but when I checked the news stations there was NOTHING about Mizzou, but clearly there's something going down.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

alpha_destroy posted:

Edit: On a side note, I loving hate Yik-Yak. Holy gently caress. Is it used for anything positive? Holy poo poo, anonymous threats of violence and racist jokes. Hooray anonymity! gently caress this loving earth.

Yikyak is anonymous for you and me, but not for law enforcement using Stingrays (or whatever other technology that we don't know about it detail yet).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yikyak is anonymous for you and me, but not for law enforcement using Stingrays (or whatever other technology that we don't know about it detail yet).

Stingrays have to be set up first.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm skipping ahead, sorry, but poo poo at Mizzou is getting ridiculous.

There are reports of bricks thrown. The Black Multi-Cultural center has been threatened. There are threats of a shooting tomorrow. Specifically someone threatened to shoot every black student he saw. A white professor e-mailed his students to tell them they are having an exam tomorrow because if they don't have class "the bullies" win. This poo poo is loving out of control. It is goddamned shameful. The student government sent administrators a message demanding they cancel class in light of threats, and if they do not cancel class they are going to tell students to not show up anyway. According to the MSA (StuCo essentially) Pres, the KKK has been sighted on campus. The response by the administration, namely nothing, is the exact reason these protests are happening

Keep eyes on Mizzou, this poo poo is not over. Not by a long shot.

To anyone here connected to Mizzou, stay safe y'all.

Wow, I hope everything is ok tonight and tomorrow.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Dear black people: You fail my class. Regards, Professor Brigham.

Has there ever been anyone named Brigham who wasn't a colossal rear end in a top hat?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Seriously. That sounds outlandish if it is true. I really hope no one gets hurt.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, there was a case of a "joke" bomb threat over Yikyak up here in Albany, and police were on that person within a few hours. Yikyak is very happy to help law enforcement out. They don't need Stingrays: the platform's own algorithms use location to decide which comments you see, so it's already logged.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

alpha_destroy posted:

Where I am people give each other study tips and let people know about burger deals at the local shithole student diner. Sometimes they post about how much they enjoy having sex with their partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

a group of protesters' well-intentioned but ill-advised barricading of a public space in an attempt to keep media out

What possible good intentions could this be, particularly considering how they went about it?

• Locked thread