Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fallout4 couldn't detect my graphics card and gave me the lowest settings. It runs really choppy whenever I move, I guess it's time to buy a new graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
E: never mind I just got the pip boy it's all good now I'm just impatient and wanted to murder the radroaches

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 11, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ularg posted:

John Marston is a good character but I think Necromonster prefers games where you insert yourself, like Elder Scrolls and Fallouts.

I actually prefer games with absolutely as little story telling as possible generally. Doesn't matter if it's player insert stuff or not.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
I didn't understand why people said that cryogun was cool when it didn't come with any ammo. Where did you get ammo for it?

Then hours later...

Stupid dog.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah the best story setup for a bethesda type game is "you are some random person with no past who just got dumped in this place for no real reason" it doesn't make sense to try to have a sense of urgency since most players want a more freeform experience or are going to spend more time building a village or whatever than rushing off to look for a baby or 200 year old kid or whatever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Seriously I just gave it some thought and realized that if black isle, troika, or obsidian didn't make it there is zero chance I will care about the story in a player insert game at all.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

Finally started the game and picked up the gun. How do I go back to pure melee? PS4.

...equip a melee weapon?

Also, how screwed am I going to be if I can't be bothered with the settlement stuff? I'm doing the minuteman quests, and so I have four settlements already. Apart from the original quest to put some beds and stuff down, I haven't bothered doing anything with any of them. I'd much rather wander around the wasteland exploring and doing quests than fighting that horrible UI.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Earwicker posted:

yeah the best story setup for a bethesda type game is "you are some random person with no past who just got dumped in this place for no real reason" it doesn't make sense to try to have a sense of urgency since most players want a more freeform experience or are going to spend more time building a village or whatever than rushing off to look for a baby or 200 year old kid or whatever

And they get this to work just fine in TES, where the extent of your backstory is "You're some rear end in a top hat thrown in prison, you may or may not be prophesied to do important poo poo, but whatever go gently caress around in 400 dungeons first if you want".

They don't seem remotely able to figure out that the same would work just as well, and indeed be just as necessary, in FO.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The issue there is that it makes the main quest no more interesting than any other quest in the game. Which I guess is fine from a certain perspective. Still, I'd prefer to have more motivation to get to the end than a sense of obligation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure I just killed more raiders in the Corvega factory than there were in the entire city of New Vegas, holy poo poo. I was there a while. The raider with the Fat Man blew himself up though so I couldn't get the launcher; he and the gun flew off somewhere.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I'm glad that the Super Mutant community is carrying the torch of radical Islamic extremism.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
This is my raider murder machine.

81 Damage per shot.

People complaining about Survival being bad because bullet sponge enemies are doing it wrong, kit your weapons out and use them to your advantage, armor piercing mods are great as well. I 2 shot legendaries.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

The issue there is that it makes the main quest no more interesting than any other quest in the game. Which I guess is fine from a certain perspective. Still, I'd prefer to have more motivation to get to the end than a sense of obligation.

in Oblivion they also used the technique of putting a bunch of ugly gates all over the landscape with the hope that, if you finish the main story, they might go away

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure I just killed more raiders in the Corvega factory than there were in the entire city of New Vegas, holy poo poo. I was there a while. The raider with the Fat Man blew himself up though so I couldn't get the launcher; he and the gun flew off somewhere.

if its any consolation the next few missions to clear raiders are much easier and shorter.

i killed about a dozen legendary npcs and the loot is kinda terrible so far. Most notable item was a machete with +dmg to mirelurks from a super mutant.

they really need to fix the bug with the terminals locking you in place.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

81 Damage per shot.

People complaining about Survival being bad because bullet sponge enemies are doing it wrong, kit your weapons out and use them to your advantage, armor piercing mods are great as well. I 2 shot legendaries.

post more pics of your settlement please it looks awesome!

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Just took a dremel to our plastic Pip-Boy and now it successfully holds our HTC One M8 cell phones. There's baaaaaarely enough room for it if you dremel away all but the thinnest sliver of plastic.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hubris comics has the best outfits in it, then I went to the pond and shot the swan, HELL YEAH!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The funniest part about FO4 is that your character has an established background as a housewife but knows how to fix and use power armor the first time she sees it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LumberingTroll posted:

81 Damage per shot.

How did you get it to do radiation damage?! Rare drop?

Jesus 81 damage per shot :stonk:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Elderbean posted:

The funniest part about FO4 is that your character has an established background as a housewife but knows how to fix and use power armor the first time she sees it.

The Male Player was established as a former Soldier. Maybe she has the same background and they met in the army?

Or maybe its CHIM.

Also is Codsworth better to adventure with than Dogmeat?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

Her husband obviously taught her everything she needs to know about military training. :v:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Really hating melee so far :thumbsup:

I think it would work better if I committed to more crafting perks

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Where do I find the Railroad? Can't find what I'm looking for anywhere, and I don't see any quest markers.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I am loving Survival difficulty and am glad I picked it to start if only for the first deathclaw encounter. Man that was a rush. Also the dog is stupid and useless, both in combat and out. 'Your dog needs help.' Well then he shouldn't have long jumped into a hail of bullets.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Can't we all just agree, at least in this thread, that Bethesda did much better things with the Fallout franchise than Interplay / Obsidian ever did?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Frankenoodle posted:

I didn't understand why people said that cryogun was cool when it didn't come with any ammo. Where did you get ammo for it?

Then hours later...

Stupid dog.

Reminds me of when I first played New Vegas and I had no idea the All American was in the game because that ratfink Boone took it for himself.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've yet to be attacked by a mini nuke because every time an enemy has one they blow themselves or something else up with it before I even see them.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 11, 2015

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Quick question, why can I slap armor bits on when I'm wearing my Vault Suit, but not when I'm wearing a Tuxedo? Is there some kind of class difference between the underlayers of clothing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stokes posted:

I am loving Survival difficulty and am glad I picked it to start if only for the first deathclaw encounter. Man that was a rush. Also the dog is stupid and useless, both in combat and out. 'Your dog needs help.' Well then he shouldn't have long jumped into a hail of bullets.

I enjoyed being pinned down by like five raiders above me firing machine guns at me only for my dog to charge headlong into the bullets as if he was expecting to jump up them like Mario to bite faces.

Is cogsworth an actual combat companion or is he like a joke thing, may switch to him until I get someone better.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I enjoyed being pinned down by like five raiders above me firing machine guns at me only for my dog to charge headlong into the bullets as if he was expecting to jump up them like Mario to bite faces.

Is cogsworth an actual combat companion or is he like a joke thing, may switch to him until I get someone better.
Cogsworth is murder at close range.

Looks like you actually can lean out of cover which would have been nice to know.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Fergus posted:

Where do I find the Railroad? Can't find what I'm looking for anywhere, and I don't see any quest markers.

The Freedom Trail starts at Boston Commons, like it does IRL. If you just want to skip to the end because gently caress trying to follow the trail in that maze of streets: Go to the basement of the Old North Church. Use the wheel thing down there to type RAILROAD

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dog is the best pack mule/bullet tank that there is because he doesn't give one gently caress about anything. Mole rats, raiders, supermutants, he will take them on for the sake of his master, a guy he randomly found in the woods

I very rarely use the power armor for obvious reasons but it is always nice to just throw up your hands, yell "gently caress it", and return to the area you were trying to slave your way through with a metal skin and a minigun. It barely seems fair at times.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 11, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

You can still use the console to do cool stuff for screenies

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Zaphod42 posted:

How did you get it to do radiation damage?! Rare drop?

Jesus 81 damage per shot :stonk:

Yeah its a legendary drop, Survival mode, yo.

afkmacro posted:

post more pics of your settlement please it looks awesome!

Im gonna do some more stuff to it, but Ill share as I add on.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

is this "clear the commonwealth" quest repeatable like, forever? Or are there just a bunch of places and he's done?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Merdifex posted:

Can't we all just agree, at least in this thread, that Bethesda did much better things with the Fallout franchise than Interplay / Obsidian ever did?

:mediocre:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Having plenty of fun so far. FINALLY found the armor workbench in the starting town and was kitting out all my armor with studs to boost DR. Also kitted out a pretty drat nice pipe rifle to use until I can start finding energy weapons and appreciable amounts of energy ammo. I miss ammo recycling from NV already.

So far I found the perception bobblehead and a repair bobblehead. The repair one boosts fusion core duration by 10%; seems kinda minor but I'm hoping with the appropriate INT perks I can run around in power armor for a good long while.

Also found a fat man already, I'm like level 6. Only one mini-nuke for it but still. Seems crazy to get one this early.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

khy posted:

Having plenty of fun so far. FINALLY found the armor workbench in the starting town and was kitting out all my armor with studs to boost DR. Also kitted out a pretty drat nice pipe rifle to use until I can start finding energy weapons and appreciable amounts of energy ammo. I miss ammo recycling from NV already.

So far I found the perception bobblehead and a repair bobblehead. The repair one boosts fusion core duration by 10%; seems kinda minor but I'm hoping with the appropriate INT perks I can run around in power armor for a good long while.

Also found a fat man already, I'm like level 6. Only one mini-nuke for it but still. Seems crazy to get one this early.

i remember shooting a fat man at the behemoth before meeting 3dog in fo3, and that was super early, so it's not unprecedented.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Elderbean posted:

Female MC was actually a Lawyer not a housewife. You can see her diploma in your pre-war house. Although that doesn't really explain her technical skills.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Tamayachi posted:

Quick question, why can I slap armor bits on when I'm wearing my Vault Suit, but not when I'm wearing a Tuxedo? Is there some kind of class difference between the underlayers of clothing?

The game does a shitpiss job of explaining its armor layers system, but Tuxedos and other "outfit" type clothing will occupy both your jumpsuit and all of your armor slots. Don't wear them except for funsies. Jumpsuits are different, they only take up your "underlayer" and you can equip armor pieces on top of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone know where to find different power armor parts? tryna get past that t45 tech

Pages back but some raider leaders will be kitted up with power armor (there's a raider outpost right next to the settlement Preston tells you to check out when they move to sanctuary) and the National Guard Armory should have about half a set of T51 armor.

• Locked thread