Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bluedeanie posted:

e: Mizzou hires some real great professors these days!

https://twitter.com/JustDesmund/status/664305685987901440

Edit- I am having a hard time understanding what this guy is saying and which side he is on frankly. But he's not a full time tenure track professor, so whatever it is, gently caress it.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DeusExMachinima posted:

What possible good intentions could this be, particularly considering how they went about it?
Ironically, to avoid the media misinterpreting their actions and giving them bad press.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

DeusExMachinima posted:

What possible good intentions could this be, particularly considering how they went about it?

I do not blame them for wanting to give protesters some degree of privacy, or from wanting to avoid unflattering narratives from larger media outlets that parachute in to cover a big story when it's hot, don't bother attempting to fact-check or engage in any real journalism and then gently caress off as soon as a train derails somewhere else. I don't think the kids they were being lovely to were going to be guilty of doing that and I agree it is stupid and wrong to try and bar a journalist from a public place. I'm just saying some of the rationale behind their line of thinking was not inherently flawed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm skipping ahead, sorry, but poo poo at Mizzou is getting ridiculous.

There are reports of bricks thrown. The Black Multi-Cultural center has been threatened. There are threats of a shooting tomorrow. Specifically someone threatened to shoot every black student he saw. A white professor e-mailed his students to tell them they are having an exam tomorrow because if they don't have class "the bullies" win. This poo poo is loving out of control. It is goddamned shameful. The student government sent administrators a message demanding they cancel class in light of threats, and if they do not cancel class they are going to tell students to not show up anyway. According to the MSA (StuCo essentially) Pres, the KKK has been sighted on campus. The response by the administration, namely nothing, is the exact reason these protests are happening

Keep eyes on Mizzou, this poo poo is not over. Not by a long shot.

To anyone here connected to Mizzou, stay safe y'all.

Edit: On a side note, I loving hate Yik-Yak. Holy gently caress. Is it used for anything positive? Holy poo poo, anonymous threats of violence and racist jokes. Hooray anonymity! gently caress this loving earth.

if the university president can't keep the campus in order, he should step down

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ayn rand hand job posted:

if the university president can't keep the campus in order, he should step down

now say what you really feel

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
As someone that was a part of the fence, the motivation was partially privacy, since people were living in that camp. I mean, if curators can operate as a shadowy cabal behind closed doors, it only seems fair. I realize this is illegal. And I realize I was wrong. The other part is exactly what was said. Do you really expect CNN and Don Lemon, or god forbid Fox News to not present that footage as something scary and negative?

Like I said. I was wrong. It was wrong. But it's not like people didn't have reasons.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The reporting on the Mizzou situation is so terrible. Every outlet makes it sound like this is all about the feces swastika, which obviously has nothing to do with the president. Is there a really good writeup somewhere about what the specific problems were leading up to this that I can link people?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

alpha_destroy posted:

As someone that was a part of the fence, the motivation was partially privacy, since people were living in that camp. I mean, if curators can operate as a shadowy cabal behind closed doors, it only seems fair. I realize this is illegal. And I realize I was wrong. The other part is exactly what was said. Do you really expect CNN and Don Lemon, or god forbid Fox News to not present that footage as something scary and negative?

Like I said. I was wrong. It was wrong. But it's not like people didn't have reasons.

For what it's worth I don't think it was wrong what you did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

You cannot infringe on a person's first amendment right to press freedom while simultaneously exercising your right to assembly.

What ended up being the story was a billion times worse than if they'd just let the kid take the pictures.

I understand why it happened and it's clear it was an in the moment thing and people have realized their mistakes and learned a lesson, but we'll never see the end of Slate thinkpieces about safe space fascism.

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 11, 2015

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rexicon1 posted:

Yeah, naw, it was bad. Fortunately, I think the people involved have handled it well since then.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lessail posted:

now say what you really feel

Shits hosed up and heads need to roll

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, there was a case of a "joke" bomb threat over Yikyak up here in Albany, and police were on that person within a few hours. Yikyak is very happy to help law enforcement out. They don't need Stingrays: the platform's own algorithms use location to decide which comments you see, so it's already logged.

Yeah, it seems that at least one person using it to make terrorist threats at Missouri has already been identified by law enforcement. According to some twitter I saw that appears to be from someone at the law school there maybe?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Petr posted:

The reporting on the Mizzou situation is so terrible. Every outlet makes it sound like this is all about the feces swastika, which obviously has nothing to do with the president. Is there a really good writeup somewhere about what the specific problems were leading up to this that I can link people?

That's the issue, I think the protesters will tell you listing the specific events is foolish since there wasn't a true beginning to this, right? Like all discussions of race in America, there was never that mythic time before problems started.

Here's a timeline but it misses all discussion of labor issues, gender issues, or anything else. It also, in my opinion, starts too recently. I'm not sure the good write up has been written yet.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

alpha_destroy posted:

That's the issue, I think the protesters will tell you listing the specific events is foolish since there wasn't a true beginning to this, right? Like all discussions of race in America, there was never that mythic time before problems started.

Here's a timeline but it misses all discussion of labor issues, gender issues, or anything else. It also, in my opinion, starts too recently. I'm not sure the good write up has been written yet.

A short summary of the complaints against Wolfe would go a long way.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Rexicon1 posted:

They did more damage to their own cause than a 100 hack journos could've. Now all the good reporters who might've given them a fair shake will be justifiably distracted about this anti-free speech wall too. It's not their private property so it's not their call who comes and goes, the end. You loving idiot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what happened in the debate? did trump come out ahead or at least not behind?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

They did more damage to their own cause than a 100 hack journos could've. Now all the good reporters who might've given them a fair shake will be justifiably distracted about this anti-free speech wall too. It's not their private property so it's not their call who comes and goes, the end. You loving idiot.

it's always something

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

so what happened in the debate? did trump come out ahead or at least not behind?

Let's just say that Fox News has to call in some extra fifteen dimensional logic experts to agree that everyone's wages are too high the next few days.
The 98% who have refrigerator graphic will be shown again.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

You cannot infringe on a person's first amendment right to press freedom while simultaneously exercising your right to assembly.

What ended up being the story was a billion times worse than if they'd just let the kid take the pictures.

I understand why it happened and it's clear it was an in the moment thing and people have realized their mistakes and learned a lesson, but we'll never see the end of Slate thinkpieces about safe space fascism.
All mizzou reporter takes have so far missed that the saga is really about disputed theories of property and ownership

They took previously open land and restricted access to it. What's the problem here? They mixed their labor with it when they pitched their tents so they own it now imo.

You don't have to let anyone who wants come into your home and take pictures. What they did is simple homesteading. "Public property"? You think the state has the right to decide that property is public? The state gives itself a state-created deed to that property and you respect that as legitimate? Give me a break. You should be applauding the students for privatization.

The reporter was clearly initiating violence by trying to enter onto now private land, so the students roughing him up would be in keeping with the non aggression principle to prohibit access to the land they have deemed theirs and banned access to.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

icantfindaname posted:

Trump thinks everyone else is paid too much.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Fried Chicken posted:

All mizzou reporter takes have so far missed that the saga is really about disputed theories of property and ownership

They took previously open land and restricted access to it. What's the problem here? They mixed their labor with it when they pitched their tents so they own it now imo.

You don't have to let anyone who wants come into your home and take pictures. What they did is simple homesteading. "Public property"? You think the state has the right to decide that property is public? The state gives itself a state-created deed to that property and you respect that as legitimate? Give me a break. You should be applauding the students for privatization.

The reporter was clearly initiating violence by trying to enter onto now private land, so the students roughing him up would be in keeping with the non aggression principle to prohibit access to the land they have deemed theirs and banned access to.

Do you actually believe any of this or are you just being sassy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Petr posted:

Trump thinks everyone else is paid too much.

First thing he said was he thinks wages should be lower. Set the tone for the ensuing madness quite well

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lessail posted:

it's always something

I say, never mind the college students acting like college students. They'll suffer in the form of torpedoing their own cause. We've got a taxpayer-employed member of communications faculty (of all departments) violating the fifth estate's rights on public property. Administer a career enema to the bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

anyone who thinks the protesters should do anything other than storm the university's head office, raise the red flag from the roof, and declare Full Communism should have their D&D card revoked. complaining about the hurt feelings of CNN reporters should get you a term in a labor camp on top of that

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Nothing that will really shake anything up. Rubio probably "won" because he didn't gently caress up anywhere. Rand got a burn in on Trump but it probably won't affect him. Of course it was nearly non-stop lies and made up bullshit that you would expect but that's going to be every Republican debate. Oh and 4 of the candidates on stage think we should be on the gold standard because that's just literally how insane one of our major political parties is. If a person were to watch it in a vacuum they would be horrified at the ignorance and utter nonsense proposals on display but these days that's just the status quo.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Someone in my Facebook wall just told me "the term you're looking for is systemic oppression, not racism" and lectured me about being ignorant as if systemic racism was not a form of systemic oppression. I didn't know what to say.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

icantfindaname posted:

anyone who thinks the protesters should do anything other than storm the university's head office, raise the red flag from the roof, and declare Full Communism should have their D&D card revoked. complaining about the hurt feelings of CNN reporters should get you a term in a labor camp on top of that

I'm just about ten degrees left of Chomsky, but if it had been tea partiers shoving around CNN reporters, you'd be calling for blood and you know it. They hosed up, they're college students, move on.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

I say, never mind the college students acting like college students. They'll suffer in the form of torpedoing their own cause.

suppose it really doesn't take much for some

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I'm so scared for my professors right now. I had a few psych/soc professors who were very active in social justice on campus and I'm terrified they'll be singled out by the shooter if he shows up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's TYOOL 2015 and being shot for saying that maybe you shouldn't call black people the N word is still a thing we have to worry about

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A bunch of reporters will be salty for a few days and then they'll move on to something else. Mizzou will end up doing something lovely and be back in the news as assholes. Y'all are really blowing this all out of proportion.

What I'm really hoping is that all those death threats and such are just pranks and that we're not going to hear about deaths and injuries by tomorrow afternoon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Petr posted:

Do you actually believe any of this or are you just being sassy

Technically I'm quoting Matt Bruening being sassy. He got a lot of libertarian jimmies russeled with that

Also, people should follow him on twitter for a lot of good public spending and redistribution stuff. Also, pissing off libertarians and people who hate food stamps on the regular

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

Someone in my Facebook wall just told me "the term you're looking for is systemic oppression, not racism" and lectured me about being ignorant as if systemic racism was not a form of systemic oppression. I didn't know what to say.

tell them they're a cracker that wants in on the sweet, sweet oppression cred

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Reading the last ten pages I just want to say I'm glad the D&D sleuths praxed out the real reason Professor Christakis defended the right of students to wear offensive costumes: He's actually a secret racist who loves blackface! All and all this has been a great week for social justice.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah but no one cares what you think because you are against them regardless and just looking for any reason to discredit their side of the issue.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's TYOOL 2015 and being shot for saying that maybe you shouldn't call black people the N word is still a thing we have to worry about

But have you thought of the free speeches and the liberties???

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A bunch of reporters will be salty for a few days and then they'll move on to something else. Mizzou will end up doing something lovely and be back in the news as assholes. Y'all are really blowing this all out of proportion.

What I'm really hoping is that all those death threats and such are just pranks and that we're not going to hear about deaths and injuries by tomorrow afternoon.

There's reports from students saying the KKK is on campus, and people actively being threatening to black students (trucks circling them around, yelling at them, etc). Even if the original guy who posted that threat doesn't go through with it, I can definitely see someone getting hurt.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

joeburz posted:

you know what we do to liberals around here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

joeburz posted:

I got yer constitutionally protected speech right here t:smug:t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm still not sure if the kkk thing is bullshit - the only source I've seen so far is Twitter. I hope it is.

• Locked thread