Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mailer posted:

I really wish there was a way to respec. I've got five points in Charisma. :(

Same, I took 6. I figured CHA was replacing the Speech skill so I better buff it a little since speech checks were so useful in the other games.

It was a bad idea so far imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm level 6 and haven't spent a point because I don't understand this new skill system.

It fukken stinks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Protons posted:

I'm level 6 and haven't spent a point because I don't understand this new skill system.

It fukken stinks.

You pick perks that are gated by SPECIAL requirements (and further ranks also by level). There is nothing more to it than that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
well poo poo, i have been playing for like 3 hours and its pretty good so far. I have been playing as fat man in a trilby and goggles. I have been mostly loving around sancuturay, hitting the motor factory and looking for rad away. i also murdered a merchant.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Finally got a lead on someone who might be connected to the kidnapping of my kid, but I just unlocked a new perk for building stuff in settlements so I'll get riiiiight back to that in a sec.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dick Fagballzson posted:

What's with all the 0's on metacritic? This is going to end up with a worse user review score than Big Rigs at the rate things are going.

Fresh NMAers can't prevent a Bethesda Fallout from getting high critical scores or great commercial numbers that they feel it doesn't deserve, so they go for the moral victory of user scores to make themselves feel better.

Before I restart, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around certain perks. The ones with bonuses to 1h/2h weapons work for ballistic and energy weapons, but the crafting perks for weapons is differentiated between low tech and high tech, right? Or are there low-tech upgrades that require the high-tech perks?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Fresh NMAers can't prevent a Bethesda Fallout from getting high critical scores or great commercial numbers that they feel it doesn't deserve, so they go for the moral victory of user scores to make themselves feel better.

Or it could the fact that every game that is even a single bit divisive is going to have user reviews that are mostly either 0 or 10 since people are idiots and user reviews are useless.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Also I really hate that there's no snap on building stuff. I cleared out an entire loving house and I want to square a new building on the foundation so that I don't have foundation sticking out, but to do that I need to line the first wall piece exactly square with the foundation or I will forever have a building that is off the foundation a hair and I'm OCD and that will give me an aneurysm

christ

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Before I restart, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around certain perks. The ones with bonuses to 1h/2h weapons work for ballistic and energy weapons, but the crafting perks for weapons is differentiated between low tech and high tech, right? Or are there low-tech upgrades that require the high-tech perks?

Lots of things are gated by both the low tech and high tech perks. For example, to make an electric sword you need two ranks in the melee perk, and also two in the high-tech perk.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can i safely sell the magazines that gave me a perk or are they used for something?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

titties posted:

Same, I took 6. I figured CHA was replacing the Speech skill

It does, dialog options that have a chance of failure will be color coded, Green is Auto success, Yellow is moderate chance, orange is not likely, and red is impossible. Increasing your charisma helps this, I use fancy clothes, booze, and Day Trippers to increase my charisma to succeed at some of the checks.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Somehow I like base building in this game. All that turrets and outposts. You can build your own Fort Goonion (don't know yet if you even get challenged to lose it or get destroyed). UI is poo poo, though.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, in the BOS questline when you get the vertibird grenades they're essentially useless (other than giving you a chance to fly over the wasteland with a minigun because you can't travel to places you haven't been yet. So it's just a slower "fast travel" - bummer. Let me use it to fly out to where I want to go!

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I was going around just merrily scraping everything not really caring hell or high water what I was scrapping but then I realized I wasn't getting any items at all. Is it possible that in "scavenge mode" you can scrap ammo that is stored in a desk or drawer? I noticed a few items in suitcases but when I scrapped the suitcase the item disappeared. Is this happening? I don't wanna be scrapping ammo on accident

I scrapped the cooking station at sanctuary and can't get another one (don't have the perk to build one and won't have it for a while) ... is there a console command to summon a cooking station? I googled it and had no luck finding a list of summonable items

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 11, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So, what seems to be the point of the Pipboy app?
And why does every-loving-thing require Adhesive? :mad: Why am I taping up weapon mods? That's what screws and bolts are for!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, after muddling about for most of today I think I'm realizing CHA is a dump stat (again). It sounded like it was the best way to become a master wordsmith and community leader, but even with the right combination of items giving me a nearly permanent 8 CHA I'm routinely failing most orange speech checks (or maybe the RNG just hates me). And then to top it all off, the Speech bobblehead doesn't actually make you better at speech! loving guys. I also left END at 1 because none of the perks interested me, so playing on hard I'm getting routinely cut down by anything bigger than a bloatfly. Looks like another reroll on the way! Anyway, questions:

-Does Scrapper actually work? I was melting pipe pistols and rifles and still getting the same sets of steel I always did. Does it just hit randomly? What am I doing wrong??

-Okay, everyone in this thread instinctively chose 'HATE NEWSPAPERS' when they got to Diamond City, right?

-Is melee even viable without pumping STR/END to the detriment of everything else? I've literally found one unarmed weapon in the 10-12 hours I've played and even the random upgraded melee weapons I've pulled off of various legendary enemies have been weak compared to almost every gun I have.

-I got the companion who can hack terminals, but am put off by the fact that he shares the same VA as the Skyrim Thieves Guild boss who betrays you and it pretty much ruined him for me. Is there another companion who can pick locks instead so I just have to put points in one or the other? Also, can the companions take care of master-level terminals/locks?

-Did anyone not change the bright green text/pip-boy? Jesus. I never thought I'd say this, but Fallout 3's puke-colored yellow-green was subdued by comparison.

-How do I hook up with other settlements? I don't like Sanctuary or Red Rocket that much, but I've been running all over the map (followed the main quest up to that guy at that fort and did that first BoS quest too) and nothing has really popped up.

-Does joining the BoS lock you out of anything? They seem like the same annoying assholes that they were in F3 (as opposed to the lovable assholes of 1/2/NV) but I'm willing to bet they've got some great loot to steal back at HQ.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Finally got the game to run flawless 1080p60 at ultra with no stutters or hitching, gently caress me it's a revelation.
Especially at ultra, the graphics are really gorgeous. I don't think still screenshots do it any justice at all.

What worked for me was a complete shot in the dark; I literally copied and pasted iFPSClamp=60 from my Skyrim ini file. I remember setting that to help with Skyrim stuttering all those years ago. Some things never change :pwn:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

It does, dialog options that have a chance of failure will be color coded, Green is Auto success, Yellow is moderate chance, orange is not likely, and red is impossible. Increasing your charisma helps this, I use fancy clothes, booze, and Day Trippers to increase my charisma to succeed at some of the checks.

It appears that giving yourself CHR boosts with clothing or grape mentats can improve chances of passing a speech roll without the color actually changing. It's what I did to gain access into a secret compound. Even though the dialogue choice was red, i passed it on the first try after previously failing it without CHR boosters.

Protons posted:

Try reading and clicking things.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 11, 2015

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Finally got the game to run flawless 1080p60 at ultra with no stutters or hitching, gently caress me it's a revelation.
Especially at ultra, the graphics are really gorgeous. I don't think still screenshots do it any justice at all.

What worked for me was a complete shot in the dark; I literally copied and pasted iFPSClamp=60 from my Skyrim ini file. I remember setting that to help with Skyrim stuttering all those years ago. Some things never change :pwn:

I have read that the devil's bargain you sign with this ini mod is that if your framerate drops below 60 the game actually slows down along with it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I didn't expect to enjoy settlement building, but I think I'm hooked. I'm going to make the wasteland spotless even if it takes me a thousand hours.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Oh man, I found a hazmat suit with 1000 rad resist before finding Children of Atom for the first time, and the fuckers couldn't even touch me :haw:

The next place I found them at had someone with a regular sniper rifle, which made things a bit more interesting since I had 0 ballistic resistance.

Also, a Glowing One locked inside a lighthouse as the lightbulb

Game good.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can I create weapons from parts like schematics allowed in FO3 and NV or is crafting limited strictly to mods?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
drat I Just spent like 20 minutes trying console commands to see if you can spawn a cooking station and it doesn't seem possible, since it isn't an inventory item.

I cant find a cooking station and I need local leader rank 2 to make one which I don't have ... this kinda sucks because I got all this food weighing me down and I am all hosed up and need to eat sometime! Can someone tell me where an early cooking station is since I can't use the one in sanctuary since I scrapped it like a dummy

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Wife and I are trying to build at sanctuary, but everything we attempt to place down is....floating about five feet off the ground. Is there any way to lower this poo poo?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Meowbot posted:

drat I Just spent like 20 minutes trying console commands to see if you can spawn a cooking station and it doesn't seem possible, since it isn't an inventory item.

I cant find a cooking station and I need local leader rank 2 to make one which I don't have ... this kinda sucks because I got all this food weighing me down and I am all hosed up and need to eat sometime! Can someone tell me where an early cooking station is since I can't use the one in sanctuary since I scrapped it like a dummy

The garage where you find Dogmeat has one.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Meowbot posted:

Mining site, where you dive in radioactive water to help guy with something for 50 caps.
I failed to know what exactly he was doing there with Vault suit and 5 CHA. :v:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Wolfsheim posted:

-Does Scrapper actually work? I was melting pipe pistols and rifles and still getting the same sets of steel I always did. Does it just hit randomly? What am I doing wrong??

Normal pipe pistols don't scrap for anything other than steel for me, but slightly upgraded things always have other stuff in them. Stock 10mm pistols, stock shotguns, etc all have screws in them for me. I used to be scraping for screws, but now adhesive is the motherfucker I need the most. One of the game hints mentioned that adhesive is required for loving everything, and they weren't kidding.

quote:

-Did anyone not change the bright green text/pip-boy? Jesus. I never thought I'd say this, but Fallout 3's puke-colored yellow-green was subdued by comparison.

I made mine a cool blue, and it changes your pipboy flashlight colour as well :3:

quote:

-How do I hook up with other settlements? I don't like Sanctuary or Red Rocket that much, but I've been running all over the map (followed the main quest up to that guy at that fort and did that first BoS quest too) and nothing has really popped up.

You may need the Char 6 perk to link other settlements. The minuteman guy tells you to start helping out other settlements after you've done his dumb requests.

I have become a wasteland vacuum cleaner. Trash is treasure. Speaking of trash and scrapping and building, there's something Bethesda going on with junk that has more than one material:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3sblnt/it_appears_crafting_incorrectly_will_cause_you_to/

To be absolutely sure you get all the materials out of junk, you're best off dropping poo poo on the ground and then scrapping it manually with the Workshop interface, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 11, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Wolfsheim posted:

Talk to the guy with the (loving) laser musket in Sanctuary Hills. He'll give you quests to gain other settlements.

Now my question: where are you guys getting rad weapon mods? I had to bump my intelligence to get the weapon mod perk. It has completely ruined my roleplaying experience and on top of that I haven't found any mods yet and scrapping weapons only gives plastic and steel so far.

titties fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 11, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Was curious, since people have probably finished the game already, are there ending slides like in traditional fallouts/new vegas?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah there's upgrades for low tech weapons that require high tech perks, there's also a bunch of perks that apply to crafting even if their descriptions don't say so.

titties posted:

Talk to the guy with the (loving) laser musket in Sanctuary Hills. He'll give you quests to gain other settlements.

Now my question: where are you guys getting rad weapon mods? I had to bump my intelligence to get the weapon mod perk. It has completely ruined my roleplaying experience and on top of that I haven't found any mods yet and scrapping weapons only gives plastic and steel so far.

I'm at gun nut level 2 and I'm making some really good stuff, most weapons break down pretty badly but there is an even higher intelligence perk that lets you get something other than plastic from advanced energy weapons.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Can you really not upgrade or scrap any clothing, full body armor or helmets? The only ones I've noticed you can are the vault jumpsuit and mining helmet.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ok, last post for the night, just faught another legendary goul, this one had a great drop on it too.

Survival mode is bad rear end.

Also laser muskets are pretty cook, they can be over charged (reload more than once) The default ones can hold 2 charges, meaning they do double damage, do this while sneaking for a quick 4x damage, they can also be upgraded to a whopping 6 charges, meaning that at default sneak one shot is the same as 12.

Plan Z posted:

It appears that giving yourself CHR boosts with clothing or grape mentats can improve chances of passing a speech roll without the color actually changing. It's what I did to gain access into a secret compound. Even though the dialogue choice was red, i passed it on the first try after previously failing it without CHR boosters.

I think this is just an issue of the visual indicator only checking your base stats, not the modified ones. so a 10 charisma would show green for example, pretty easy to check if thats the case, and Ill do it the next time its an option, just console in a 10 cha, check the dialog, then console it back.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 11, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Iceshade posted:

You may need the Char 6 perk to link other settlements. The minuteman guy tells you to start helping out other settlements after you've done his dumb requests.

Oh, I just meant to find them, but the guy above seems to have that covered. Thanks, though!

Speaking of that that local leader perk though, is that first rank just to transport materials between settlements or is there more to it? And is the second the only way to get merchants at your settlements? The whole setup is very opaque.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The garage where you find Dogmeat has one.

I must have scrapped it there also!

I found a console command ...

type help "cooking station" 4 or whatever you are looking for

player.placeatme (whatever number without paranthesis)

woot got a cooking station! time to be more careful and not scrap all of the crafting benches on accident

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So when I was taking back the Castle and fighting the Mirelurk Queen, Preston decided it was time to go save some settlement from raiders. It was a huge pain in the rear end, but I guess there is a respawning Minuteman with an automatic weapon, so I can just ran around the Castle taking pot shots at the Queen with a train of Mirelurk babies chasing me, while the Minuteman laid into the Queen. Then it wouldn't complete breaking all the eggs because Preston wasn't present. NPCs are great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
How do I establish supply lines?

Edit: Nvm press Q Grid you dumbass.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 11, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

How do I establish supply lines?

Find a no-name "Settler" that's not doing anything and in the Workshop Menu, you should be able to order them to form a supply line with another settlement. They then become a "provisioner" that helps other settlements by sharing some of the power/water resources they generate.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I spent a good part of today doing settlement stuff and have like 10 settlements and I don't recommend it. However once you get them setup and defended they mostly are self sustaining. The problem is the only way you will have enough parts to build all the defenses they need is to use the console to spawn them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A lot of my settlements have a "!" in a triangle next to their name on a list. What is this? If it's an "attack is imminent" I don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER