Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

thevoiceofdog posted:

I also wanted to get some feedback about the reading I did during the tower of patience. Was it funny? Would people want to hear more? Was it worth extending the tower of patience by like two minutes? Because there's a lot more where that came from if so.

Yes to everything, I liked that quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I just skipped past the whole thing, so it wasn't really much of a difference to me! v:shobon:v

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I skipped it and still loved it at the same time. Just because I don't spend the time does not mean I don't appreciate it. It was good.

EDIT: Maybe include a time for when to rewind to for an easy skip for the ones who did not like it?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

thevoiceofdog posted:

I also wanted to get some feedback about the reading I did during the tower of patience. Was it funny? Would people want to hear more? Was it worth extending the tower of patience by like two minutes? Because there's a lot more where that came from if so.

Fine by me man; I enjoyed it for what it's worth.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

thevoiceofdog posted:

I thought it was pretty funny and fitting. I can't imagine another point where that would fit so well, but then I don't know what's coming up.
Keep doing what you're doing, man.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

thevoiceofdog posted:

It made me want to go find and read that book.

It was also perfectly in-tone and did you pick that passage on purpose because of the guy painting the Inn white?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

thevoiceofdog posted:

:siren: HUGE EPILEPSY WARNING UNTIL 1 MINUTE INTO THIS VIDEO :siren:

I'm surprised no one made this joke yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe you murdered Geop you monster.

Seriously though that was a stroke of genius.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
After I chose to give Buzzo my arm and then lost three gang members to Russian Roulette immediately after, I started seeing gang members as expendable resources. Clearly, this was a game that was not using party members as other RPGs do.

From that point onward, I started to understand Brad a bit more.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I find this game absolutely fascinating. It's one long litany of disdainful acts, people and situations that makes me think of the recent(ish) trend in horror films, one-upping each other in extreme shock value. They really aren't my thing but the cartoonish disconnect and gallows humour here keeps me watching this trainwreck of a world unfold.

Also helps that thevoiceofdog is doing an excellent job with the LP. Personally I appreciate any and all left field turns, so book readings and nipple raves are to be encouraged I say.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Not gonna lie. I liked the joke at first, but by the end when the guru or whatever piped up I was a little disappointed because the story stopped.

Seconding this. I want to know what the hell he's coming to 'visit' the guy's wife for...

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

thevoiceofdog posted:

I really enjoyed it; it reminded me of this old Retsupurae. As for the length, I didn't notice you cut out part of the tower segment, but if you would have found a comfortable stopping point like you did in the video, I wouldn't mind a couple more minutes.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The story and wait are both so long that you become emotionally invested in hearing its conclusion, which is only natural.

If the segment could've been improved, I would have had a hidden skip annotation somewhere, but that's really all I could think of adding without blatantly bypassing the sort of tone that this LP's going for. After all it can't be too convenient.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Make every battle scene last at least 15 minutes by pausing the lp and playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuOMJZViPs

while you do a reading each time Nern uses a Discuss skill.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

MelvinBison posted:

I really enjoyed it; it reminded me of this old Retsupurae. As for the length, I didn't notice you cut out part of the tower segment, but if you would have found a comfortable stopping point like you did in the video, I wouldn't mind a couple more minutes.

You've misread. He didn't cut out part of the Tower of Patience. He added two minutes to it. And I personally loved it, even having done that dojo myself. I wasn't sure about the story at the very start, but by the end of the segment I was very curious where it was going. Of course, a bunch of people did say they skipped it too. So, the best thing would probably be to keep doing it, and put an annotation in to allow people to skip to the end of future segments like that without having to scrub through the video. Of course, I don't really know where else this kind of thing might happen. I went into a different door in hub 2, and between getting my rear end kicked there, a party member stolen when I tried to rest it off, and having lost multiple members (multiple times) to the forced Russian Roulette bit, I was kinda too sad to keep going.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You've misread. He didn't cut out part of the Tower of Patience. He added two minutes to it. And I personally loved it, even having done that dojo myself. I wasn't sure about the story at the very start, but by the end of the segment I was very curious where it was going. Of course, a bunch of people did say they skipped it too. So, the best thing would probably be to keep doing it, and put an annotation in to allow people to skip to the end of future segments like that without having to scrub through the video. Of course, I don't really know where else this kind of thing might happen. I went into a different door in hub 2, and between getting my rear end kicked there, a party member stolen when I tried to rest it off, and having lost multiple members (multiple times) to the forced Russian Roulette bit, I was kinda too sad to keep going.

Wow, that's word for word what happened in my playthrough. And it's also the reason I'm watching the LP instead ! I feel you man, this game is really harsh when it wants to.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You've misread. He didn't cut out part of the Tower of Patience. He added two minutes to it.

My bad. Then I guess it's fine with me since I can't tell the difference anyway.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
I believe the guy who says "Thou art God" is a reference to the novel Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you for LP-ing this so far, the more you play the more I realize I'm too big of a wimp to get through it. I can't deal with party member permadeath, even if the game is balanced around them being expendable (see also: every Fire Emblem game)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Seeing as the Russian Roulette game is to three wins as opposed to just three rounds, is it possible to whittle your party down to just Brad?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

A good poster posted:

Seeing as the Russian Roulette game is to three wins as opposed to just three rounds, is it possible to whittle your party down to just Brad?
In theory, yes. On one of my runs I think I killed everyone but Olan and Nern through roulette, though this is after I also chose to let Buzzo kill Fardy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Anyone ever try doing the Roulette with just Brad? I wonder if it's any different or if losing just means a game over.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Samovar posted:

This is a very odd game. Will there ever be an explanation for the mutants?

Given where we first see a mutant and what happens just before hand, I would have thought the answer was heavily implied, but maybe I read too much into things.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Sally posted:

Anyone ever try doing the Roulette with just Brad? I wonder if it's any different or if losing just means a game over.

iirc you can't. And losing all other members gets you a game over.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Minty posted:

iirc you can't. And losing all other members gets you a game over.

Yeah. I actually had the bad luck to get literally everyone killed during this sequence in a recent run. At that point, getting a game over is basically a mercy.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Somehow it feels like the whole thing would be a lot easier emotionally if you could just volunteer for the roulette stool yourself.

As it stands, every time a party member blows his brains out, you have to think seriously about whether you really want to savescum to get him back, rather than just soldier on. Every time you restart, it's because you watched a party member die because of your decision again until you're desensitized to it, and seriously wondering to yourself whether this guy is worth it. It's loving miserable by design.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i also had the duck dream once

thevoiceofdog posted:

I kinda zoned out after a minute into the story and when I listened back in the protagonist was now talking about being a male prostitute so in that sense it was a very LISA-like experience at least.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Somehow it feels like the whole thing would be a lot easier emotionally if you could just volunteer for the roulette stool yourself.

As it stands, every time a party member blows his brains out, you have to think seriously about whether you really want to savescum to get him back, rather than just soldier on. Every time you restart, it's because you watched a party member die because of your decision again until you're desensitized to it, and seriously wondering to yourself whether this guy is worth it. It's loving miserable by design.

Life is cheap in Olathe. Don't worry about it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

thevoiceofdog posted:

I was reminded of that ridiculous story you read in Earthbound if you buy the dilapidated house by the ocean.

So yeah, it was good.

Straight up, you're doing a pretty excellent presentation of this game, combining the minimalist commentary with unintrusive non-sequiturs like that one and the occasional goof, like the intro and your guest speaker. It feels polished and doesn't keep the game from speaking for itself.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mazed posted:

Straight up, you're doing a pretty excellent presentation of this game, combining the minimalist commentary with unintrusive non-sequiturs like that one and the occasional goof, like the intro and your guest speaker. It feels polished and doesn't keep the game from speaking for itself.
Guest... speaker? I'm pretty sure that the voice of puns itself, straight from the in-game audio.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're having trouble with the russian roulette game I believe every character has a semi-hidden stat called 'luck' that will influence how well they do in it. Mind you this is based on reading the youtube comments for Slowbeef's run and not any actual experience with the game myself.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Scaramouche posted:

If you're having trouble with the russian roulette game I believe every character has a semi-hidden stat called 'luck' that will influence how well they do in it. Mind you this is based on reading the youtube comments for Slowbeef's run and not any actual experience with the game myself.

That might explain why Fardy ate a bullet so quickly in my game. RIP Fardy, we barely knew ye.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I took a look a couple months ago. There's no stat that influences it.

The game just rolls a die. You get... I want to say a 1 or 2, the gun goes off. That's it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That explains why Fardy is undisputed Russian Roulette win-streak guy in my playthrough. I only switched characters when it occurred to me I might lose the fast travel option if he ate it.

...the next two I put in died almost immediately. Does taking Joy remove Fardy's permanent Depression status?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So Dingaling posted this bit on the writing philosophy for Lisa, it's spoiler free and worth reading; it's pretty good writing advice in general actually.

e: well maybe some thematic spoilers that would let you infer the story and character arcs I guess? Exercise caution, I know not everyone likes to actively hunt down spoilers like I do.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 11, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Thinking we may be on the same page with this one.

That's very likely. :hfive:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's hard not to hate Rage Ironhead after discovering that his head does not, in fact, contain enough iron to stop a bullet. What a lying sack of poo poo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's hard not to hate Rage Ironhead after discovering that his head does not, in fact, contain enough iron to stop a bullet. What a lying sack of poo poo.
It would actually have been great if Rage were able to take one bullet without dying because his head was so hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I took a look a couple months ago. There's no stat that influences it.

The game just rolls a die. You get... I want to say a 1 or 2, the gun goes off. That's it.

Weird, I could've sworn there was something, like a luck or agility stat and at this point in the game it was either Nern or Olan who were most likely to win all three rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of think it would be cool if it was a function of who you've leveled the most.
Then hypothetically Buzzo would be picking the guy you've put the most work into or are relying on the most, and in the russian roulette those guys will be slightly luckier in exchange for the player really not wanting to risk losing them forever.
At least that's my annoying ideas guy opinion.

• Locked thread