Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've never noticed how beautifully both Vince and Pusheen are timed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I thought Ashleys art was already really well done back in the early days, but this chapter is really hammering home how much she's improved over the years. Goddamn. o_o

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Can't wait for Friday!

KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FourLeaf posted:

Can't wait for Friday!

KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER

Really this has all been an experiment to see how much joy you can make an audience derive from a character's death. After Starfish dies the comic is over. Mission accomplished.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Friendly coffee cup still checking in on Elan's health. :3:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really this has all been an experiment to see how much joy you can make an audience derive from a character's death. After Starfish dies the comic is over. Mission accomplished.

Just wait till you find out how eeeeeeevil Winallis/the queen/everyone else is (Alerode are basically nazis, etc)

I actually much preferred the story as Duane and Sette adventures in the forest, if all the evil and badness can stay washed away and we get that for a while it'd be great.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Someone remind me what that red doohickey Sette's playing with is and why it's getting an "Oh Crap!" reaction from Starfish tia

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

tentacles posted:

Someone remind me what that red doohickey Sette's playing with is and why it's getting an "Oh Crap!" reaction from Starfish tia

I can't remember where we first saw them, but those things are pymaric explosives. And the clicking seems to be her arming it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
starfish is about to leave the story with a bang

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Show us the body Ashley.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
That distorted page is pretty nifty. Like the warping on the back/index/forward buttons.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
No body? He survived.

Also, really, nothing can knock Knock-Me-Down the gently caress down. I hope she does a face turn when all this is done.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I feel like this page conveys more futility and despair than anything else in the comic, including the organ harvesting or child murder. It's arguably the climax of the chapter, but it's a quiet climax wherein literally everyone's failures and losses and agonies were made palpable and then hung up for display in watery stasis.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
So, Starfish not only gets away, but he gets one last mind-stabbing dig in at Sette?

Hey, at least he's got severely mangled junk.

(Next chapter fast-forwards to Starfish cackling and enjoying his huge new First Materials junk.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That is a pretty drat awesome page. Way to go, Cope!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I can't remember where we first saw them, but those things are pymaric explosives. And the clicking seems to be her arming it.

Cheers, mate! Was having a crap day at work so couldn't be arsed to dig through the archives/comments. Finally found where one of those things came up previously, looks like Starfish has the right idea

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
You can get some clearer examples of the explosives over here as well:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch10/ch10_33.html

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So I have a question, given that we seem to be approaching the end of a story arc.

I'm trying to figure out if we had a stated reason for the silver going nuclear in this town. Delicieu tells Duane that the plan was to use the silver to kill the Queen of Cresce. Of course, he then later seems to just be interested in killing humans, and he also states that the silver/monster needs to make it to the coast.

So I'm trying to determine the overall original plan here. I guess since the First silver weapon gets stronger and more monstrous the more pain it absorbs, killing the poo poo out of this town, before shipping it to the capital would make it stronger. How Delicieu planned to turn it back into a shippable product and not an ooze monster is beyond me.

I hope this is expanded upon in the next story arc.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 14, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I was under the impression it went critical prematurely because they were dumb enough to put the world's most angsty lich in a pain collar and stick him right on top of it. I have a recollection they were specifically ordered not to do that and just said "eh gently caress it", but I might be wrong.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh, so this is basically, "here's a huge magic weapon, and here's the catalysis to start the reaction. Put them together when you want everything to die."
"Okay, so let's just throw em into the same closet while we get drunk."

Okay, got it, and it's completely believable. I'll assume Delicieu didn't care, because he's just happy when spiderpaws die.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 14, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's a little more complex than that, they couldn't have realized what exactly was happening. Hell, Delicieu only barely realized right as it started happening.

Basically, Duane is kind of a half-life. He's not technically an undead, but he's not completely alive either, he's an odd duck whose consciousness slips into the khert each night to relive the horrors of his past. True undead, or plods, are just pymaric items embedded into bodies that animate the body. The mask feigns pain, locking the body up... until it goes on someone like Duane where the feigned pain actually becomes real, something they couldn't have anticipated.

In addition, the silver was a lot more volatile due to Sette's own strangeness allowing her to piggyback into the Khert along with Duane, and then tear a hole in it on her way back out. It was pretty obvious something very strange was happening inside of town, but again it was impossible to anticipate just how much further along that hole in the khert would agitate the silver, since it allowed negativity and pain to pour out and get absorbed into it.

So, basically, it's like someone loaded a gun with a blank shell, then stuck it in a raccoon cage, except they didn't know that someone had actually replaced the blank with a real bullet, and the raccoon is actually Rocket Raccoon, and he's pissed at them for keeping him in that cage. So it comes as a real surprise to them when they get shot. :v:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

I was under the impression it went critical prematurely because they were dumb enough to put the world's most angsty lich in a pain collar and stick him right on top of it. I have a recollection they were specifically ordered not to do that and just said "eh gently caress it", but I might be wrong.

I think what triggered it was more Stockyard killing Toby and all the pain and anguish that generated. Add in all the extra misery from Ephsephin, Quigley and Matty, and Sette witnessing Toby's murder, and the thing was way closing to going off than anyone realized. Looks like Cutter/Deliceau just rolled with it once it happened, even though it was unexpected.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fan favorite Murkoph probably factors into the equation somewhere.

Can't imagine having that dude around helps keep a pain-powered flesh and silver construct stable and secure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oh, so this is basically, "here's a huge magic weapon, and here's the catalysis to start the reaction. Put them together when you want everything to die."
"Okay, so let's just throw em into the same closet while we get drunk."

Okay, got it, and it's completely believable. I'll assume Delicieu didn't care, because he's just happy when spiderpaws die.

I think Delicieu doesn't care whether this one goes off in the wrong city because as Duane's little flash-forward implies he's been selling magical torture nukes to everybody

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 14, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Fan favorite Murkoph probably factors into the equation somewhere.

Can't imagine having that dude around helps keep a pain-powered flesh and silver construct stable and secure.

Oh, I forgot about him. Thinking about it now, I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up getting a body made out of gore and silver that's left over from the monster, and that's how he escapes the Khert.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Murkoph escaping the Khert is the obvious play here.

It'd be funny though if Starfish survives the explosion only to run into him. It'd probably be the first time anybody in this thread was actually happy to see Murkoph.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

FourLeaf posted:

I think what triggered it was more Stockyard killing Toby and all the pain and anguish that generated. Add in all the extra misery from Ephsephin, Quigley and Matty, and Sette witnessing Toby's murder, and the thing was way closing to going off than anyone realized. Looks like Cutter/Deliceau just rolled with it once it happened, even though it was unexpected.

Naw, the silver is clearly starting to go off here, which is a few panels before Stockyard kills Toby. Plus, Stockyard kills Toby in an empty room, nobody else finds out about it until the silver has already started ripping poo poo apart. No misery (Aside from Toby's, of course) comes from that until poo poo is already falling down.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Captain Bravo posted:

Naw, the silver is clearly starting to go off here, which is a few panels before Stockyard kills Toby.

Ha, I wonder if that guy who quit immediately upon seeing the silver going off made it out alive.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Naw, the silver is clearly starting to go off here, which is a few panels before Stockyard kills Toby. Plus, Stockyard kills Toby in an empty room, nobody else finds out about it until the silver has already started ripping poo poo apart. No misery (Aside from Toby's, of course) comes from that until poo poo is already falling down.

Nah, the silver is swirling around them because they're plot to kill each other- super unpleasant emotions right there- and we can't forget how upset Stockyard was because of the betrayal.

But only once Toby's being strangled are eels suddenly forming on the windows, and the giant eel monster on top of the building where the office is goes ballistic. That's when all hell breaks loose down in the main hall with ghosts infecting the brothel pymarics where Dawn is, and then the silver starts erupting through the loving floor and flying up to the office to infect Toby's corpse. Yeah, the people downstairs didn't know, but Toby was dying horribly, Stockyard's crying even as he strangles a dude, and Sette's stunned and angry. Seems like it was clearly pinpointed as the breaking point.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 14, 2015

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ha, I wonder if that guy who quit immediately upon seeing the silver going off made it out alive.

Nope

But yeah, the silver was getting stronger and restless due to the general malaise over the town. And while Duane pumping if full of his own peculiar brand of misery definitely pushed it further it was probably Stockyard murdering Toby that tipped things.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Guys, look at the bottom of the panel. The eel tearing apart the wall. The silver was already out, fortifying itself with ghosts, and tearing poo poo apart. It just takes it a second to rip into the building and become blindingly obvious to everyone inside that poo poo is going down. You're confusing a narrative element with a plot one. Ashley cope definitely uses the killing of Toby as a story climax, that's when all the little elements of the arc (Duane inside the khert, Quigley and Elka preparing for a fight, Toma and the ruffians, Sette and her dysfunctional family) finally go "pop" and everything shatters into violence. You are absolutely correct that Toby's death is narratively the straw that breaks the camel's back. But you're mixing that up with the plot element of the silver, which has little to no connection with Toby and his death.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
huh, looks like good feelings spider is still around

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
You all are also forgetting that Sette blew a hole in the Khert earlier. That probably was a big reason why the silver went off prematurely.

I'm guessing that the reason why Duane is the catalyst for the silver isn't because he's angsty, because I'm pretty sure you can find any number of people more angsty than him. I'd guess he's the catalyst because of his half-dead nature. He's a window to the Khert which would have let the silver draw out bad memories through him to feed on and grow in strength. The hole in the Khert accelerated that massively.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

You all are also forgetting that Sette blew a hole in the Khert earlier. That probably was a big reason why the silver went off prematurely.

I'm guessing that the reason why Duane is the catalyst for the silver isn't because he's angsty, because I'm pretty sure you can find any number of people more angsty than him. I'd guess he's the catalyst because of his half-dead nature. He's a window to the Khert which would have let the silver draw out bad memories through him to feed on and grow in strength. The hole in the Khert accelerated that massively.

The catalyst isn't angst, but suffering. Duane has suffered more than anyone living can endure, which is kind of the point.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

TheCIASentMe posted:

You all are also forgetting that Sette blew a hole in the Khert earlier.

Um... no we're not? :confused:

Captain Bravo posted:

the silver was a lot more volatile due to Sette's own strangeness allowing her to piggyback into the Khert along with Duane, and then tear a hole in it on her way back out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She had already damaged the khert long before the whole Duane dream adventure.
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch04/ch04_68.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch04/ch04_69.html

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sette needs a nap in the worst way.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love when Sette and Duane get honest with each other. It's always raw as gently caress.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Poor Sette really loves her lovely dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
She believes that he's all she's got.