Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pretty much everything in Windows 10 that triggered the tinfoil hats as far as privacy is concerned is getting backported to Windows 7/8.1, so that's not an argument anymore for one over the other, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Which programs are concerned about?

FYI, Microsoft does indeed have the capacity to spy the poo poo out of you, but like Dropbox they do really only use data internally for product research. The app store will know what you search for in Bing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lum posted:

Well yeah, upgrade installs are always poo poo.

I was comparing fresh against fresh though.

I have a few questions about pretty much this. I'm putting the finishing touches on my new gaming rig and will likely be installing Windows at some point this evening. I think it may finally be the time to bite the bullet and jump from 7 to 10. Questions:

1) Would it be better to install 7, install 10 and then install all my drivers? Or install 7, then the drivers, then 10? Does this matter? If I do end up installing 10 I plan on waiting to install pretty much everything, but am unsure about drivers.
2) Goosensus on how 10 is for gaming? For example, I read a few articles that gave me pause re: AMD having crappy GPU drivers for Windows 10 that were making lots of games crash. Is that still the case?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

7, 10, drivers for sure. Avoid having old Win7 driver crap hanging around.

I've found 10 to be fine for gaming, with SLI NVIDIA. AMD seems to be raising their level of play driver-wise too, as well they should: DX12 is a much better battlefield for them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) You want as few drivers as you can get away with before you install 10.

For that matter, once you do the upgrade the first time (activated and online before you start, and either Windows Update or upgrading within Windows from whatever the Media Creation Tool spits out) and it registers as activated in 10, you're clear to wipe the disk down to zero and reinstall by booting off your install medium.

If you're okay with a clean install.

2) I haven't had any significant issues with Windows 10, other than:

If you use DS4Windows you have to exit Explorer to turn on Exclusive Mode (Xinput-only mode) for it to work. You can use its Exclusive Mode button OR ctrl+shift+right-click on the taskbar to get an 'exit Explorer' option that ends explorer.exe gracefully. ... That second part is probably useful in a lot more places than just a PS4 controller app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm having trouble figuring out which animal to sacrifice to ensure a clean W10 install. I was going to go with a goat, just because, well, tradition. But I'm worried about the mess. Will a smaller animal work?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cool, thanks guys!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For that matter, once you do the upgrade the first time (activated and online before you start, and either Windows Update or upgrading within Windows from whatever the Media Creation Tool spits out) and it registers as activated in 10, you're clear to wipe the disk down to zero and reinstall by booting off your install medium.

If you're okay with a clean install.

I'm totally cool with a clean install and would in fact prefer it. Looks like I need to locate a thumb drive!

Last Chance posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out which animal to sacrifice to ensure a clean W10 install. I was going to go with a goat, just because, well, tradition. But I'm worried about the mess. Will a smaller animal work?

I've got all these loving cats lying around doing nothing, so I mean it's got to be cats, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does anyone know if the November update has started rolling out? I'm on 10586 already so I'm probably already running the final bits, but I'm due to update a few machines from Windows 7 to 10 this week and I'd rather get the new ISO and save myself installing 4 months of updates.

I posted ESD links and the ESD to ISo converter a page or two ago.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Don Lapre posted:

I posted ESD links and the ESD to ISo converter a page or two ago.

Was hoping to grab the UK English ISO from the media creation tool but I these will do in the meantime, thanks.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does anyone know if the November update has started rolling out? I'm on 10586 already so I'm probably already running the final bits, but I'm due to update a few machines from Windows 7 to 10 this week and I'd rather get the new ISO and save myself installing 4 months of updates.

It was rolled out to the fast ring last week. I have it and there is no build number at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

kedo posted:

I have a few questions about pretty much this. I'm putting the finishing touches on my new gaming rig and will likely be installing Windows at some point this evening. I think it may finally be the time to bite the bullet and jump from 7 to 10. Questions:

1) Would it be better to install 7, install 10 and then install all my drivers? Or install 7, then the drivers, then 10? Does this matter? If I do end up installing 10 I plan on waiting to install pretty much everything, but am unsure about drivers.
2) Goosensus on how 10 is for gaming? For example, I read a few articles that gave me pause re: AMD having crappy GPU drivers for Windows 10 that were making lots of games crash. Is that still the case?

7, activate, 10 upgrade, *activate again!*, wipe, 10 clean install, drivers and updates

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've uninstalled Hyper-V, which hosed up my NetBIOS configuration. I have two adapters, a general one for Internets and SMB, and a second one only running IPv4 and nothing else for iSCSI. Suddenly NetBIOS is running on the iSCSI adapter, even tho the Client for Microsoft Networks is unchecked, and checking nbtstat, it doesn't even acknowledge the first adapter. Like what the gently caress is going on here?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Just restarted for updates and now I'm getting some strange flickering on my lenovo y50 screen like my refresh rate is off. Giving me a headache. Any ideas or known problems before I waste time trying to figure things out instead of studying for my exam tomorrow?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a good option to open JPGs? paint.net takes forever (like, multiple seconds!) to load and the photos app is terrible.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

Is there a good option to open JPGs? paint.net takes forever (like, multiple seconds!) to load and the photos app is terrible.

IrfanView hasn't really ever stopped being the 'swiss army knife' of Windows image viewing. (Now in 64-bit!)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also the old Photo Viewer is technically available - you just have to chuck some entries in your registry to allow it to be selected from the Open With dialogue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Do you? It's always been an option for me.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

IrfanView hasn't really ever stopped being the 'swiss army knife' of Windows image viewing. (Now in 64-bit!)

very similar features, but I use Xnview mostly because it opens old Atari ST image formats

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

ilkhan posted:

The Picasa Photo Viewer is pretty quick.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ilkhan posted:

I still swear by FastStone Image Viewer but I don't know what the cool kids use these days.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Do you? It's always been an option for me.

Did you use some of the insider builds before 10240? It's always been an option for me as well, but apparently it actually isn't there for people who upgraded from 7/8/8.1 to the RTM build.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I still use the windows live photo gallery <.<

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lum posted:

7, activate, 10 upgrade, *activate again!*, wipe, 10 clean install, drivers and updates

Thanks to you and the other folks for the good advice! I've got it up and running. 10 boots incredibly fast, though my old computer with 2009 hardware and a bloated Windows 7 installation is perhaps not a very good comparison.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got an Intel Compute stick for 130 with the Windows 10 license. Quite frankly this is a wicked good deal for a decent computer. If you get one update the BIOS right off and install the latest 10 drivers from Intels website. After doing that stuff the thing performs just great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lowtechs posted:

It was rolled out to the fast ring last week. I have it and there is no build number at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Has anyone seen it for the non-Insider builds yet? I'm on Windows 10 Pro without "defer updates" checked.

redeyes posted:

I just got an Intel Compute stick for 130 with the Windows 10 license. Quite frankly this is a wicked good deal for a decent computer. If you get one update the BIOS right off and install the latest 10 drivers from Intels website. After doing that stuff the thing performs just great.

Another really good deal right now is this Kangaroo PC, it is Skylake Atom processor, so faster than the compute stick and fanless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

I used a NewEgg coupon to get a pair of them for $90 each and they include Win 10 Home. They are made from an established projector company and are reviewing very well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone seen it for the non-Insider builds yet? I'm on Windows 10 Pro without "defer updates" checked.

Another really good deal right now is this Kangaroo PC, it is Skylake Atom processor, so faster than the compute stick and fanless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

I used a NewEgg coupon to get a pair of them for $90 each and they include Win 10 Home. They are made from an established projector company and are reviewing very well.

Great deal! About 2-3 times larger than the compute stick but jeez, probably a perfect mom and pop type computer. Thanks for the heads up.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone have any idea when he ISO download tool will start pulling the new image that lets you just plug in your 7/8 key to install?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sheep posted:

Anyone have any idea when he ISO download tool will start pulling the new image that lets you just plug in your 7/8 key to install?

Downloaders within Windows build their USB/ISO/whatever through the Media Creation Tool; they'll get it when the Windows Update ESD or whatever hits.

Downloaders outside of Windows download an ISO directly; they'll get it when it hits MSDN.

There's no declared timeframe but you can rest assured Microsoft will let you know when it happens.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Downloaders within Windows build their USB/ISO/whatever through the Media Creation Tool; they'll get it when the Windows Update ESD or whatever hits.

Downloaders outside of Windows download an ISO directly; they'll get it when it hits MSDN.

There's no declared timeframe but you can rest assured Microsoft will let you know when it happens.

I'd heard November 12th for the November Update. Not long now to find out. Good thing too, my Windows 10 install has been inexplicably hosed beyond repair.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I've had this persistant Defender update that's refusing to get installed. It downloads fine and installs but then fails. Not even downloading offline definitions seem to work. Could it be that Avast disabling the defender service is causing this?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

pwnyXpress posted:

Just restarted for updates and now I'm getting some strange flickering on my lenovo y50 screen like my refresh rate is off. Giving me a headache. Any ideas or known problems before I waste time trying to figure things out instead of studying for my exam tomorrow?
Have the same problem+more since I installed the latest update. Now sometimes my computer won't wake up from sleep, and the screen randomly just blanks - the screen is still on but there's no picture and the only thing one can do is push the reset-button, which makes it restart, boot into loading windows but as the OS is actually starting it reboots again. I'm suspecting it has something to do with Nvidia drivers but don't really know. Fun times.

(Double) Edit:
Uninstalled one of the Nov 11 updates and now Windows Photo Viewer only handles .tiff and the default action for jpg files is to edit them. What the gently caress is wrong with MS sometimes? - Starting the trusted windows store app Photos made it the default for viewing jpgs again. Hooray I guess?

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 12, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

And it's now out on Windows Update. ISOs are on MSDN.

I've had the insider build on my laptop and it seems fine to me. Having messaging now build into the desktop OS means I can now ping the SMS API on the desktop without it crashing, which is nice. And the user facing features are cool too. And Cortana is now supported in Japanese. I don't really use it, but it's nice so it will stop telling me every time I search for something that Cortana is not supported.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Two tips for anyone wanting to download the ISO of the November update using the Media Creation Tool:

1. There is a new version of the tool; seems to be a single download now instead of separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the tool itself. Earlier, I tried using the Media Creation Tool I downloaded a few days ago to get the new ISO and it just downloaded the RTM release of Windows 10.

2. The Tool no longer provides an option to download Pro or Home editions separately, but the ISO you download will allow you to select either Pro or Home edition during installation.

I had to format due to some horrendous system instability and the ISO I downloaded went without a hitch. Nice to have only a few days' updates to download instead of 4 months.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just confirmed that the November update includes installing from a Windows 7 key.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just installed the update and it is a full OS upgrade leaving the Windows.old folder in the root. It broke my HyperV machines forcing me to re-establish the physical mappings to the drives it uses.. no idea why that happened. Next it reset my default printer.. not a huge problem but im sure I'll get a bunch of people calling me saying their printer stopped working.

Other than stuff not working, it looks a bit more polished with the color matching title bars.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I need to uninstall Glass8 before doing this don't I?

Also, if it's a windows.old job, how is that going to happen on my GF's 32GB tablet?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I need to uninstall Glass8 before doing this don't I?

Also, if it's a windows.old job, how is that going to happen on my GF's 32GB tablet?

I don't know for sure if you need to remove Glass8.. Maybe better to be safe than sorry. 10 takes maybe around 16GB which does leave enough to do an upgrade but probably not with user files on the same system.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sheep posted:

Just confirmed that the November update includes installing from a Windows 7 key.

So you no longer need to go through arcane voodoo [Like using an actual CD drive. The humanity.] to install 10 on a new Skylake computer when all you have is a Windows 7 key?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

So you no longer need to go through arcane voodoo [Like using an actual CD drive. The humanity.] to install 10 on a new Skylake computer when all you have is a Windows 7 key?

Yep, I just booted from USB, plugged in the Windows 7 key from the COA on the bottom of the laptop, and everything went off without a hitch. It even activated without hassling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I wonder if this will fix the problem I had where Windows 10 wouldn't activate unless I upgraded it from 8.1, even after activating it before.