Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I had a Cain run that got a bunch of damage ups, Monstro's Lung, that coin attack item BS and Chocolate Milk. It one-shotted It Lives and three-shotted The Lamb. Also, I spat coins as big as the room. What an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Lost starting with Holy Mantle makes the d4 useless. Lost isn't as bad to get a run going since you can get a bunch of rolls through the first few floors.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just legit beat Ultra Greed with the Lost.

I'm not good at this game, just too drat stubborn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

I just legit beat Ultra Greed with the Lost.

I'm not good at this game, just too drat stubborn.

Congrats on polluting your item pool with utter garbage :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So piercing shots work in Onan's Streak now, which makes Polyphemus extremely good(and Brimstone too I assume). Multi-tear items are still a very bad idea though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Purity is insane. Get it on blue and it's a double strength cancer (which got my tech x down to as fast as I could spam attack buttons, normal max tear rate goes clear up to soy milk fast). Red is double strength devil horn. The other 2 are unimportant and you can safely try to switch back off them if you end up in one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So remember how Edmund said that he would fix the reroll into Breakfast glitch through the use of D4 and the like? Well technically he did. Now it just rerolls you into no items if you exhaust the item pool, as I found out the hard way. :suicide: MissingNo caused that run to end early. I dunno if the D4 or Dice rooms can cause that, but definitely avoid MissingNo if you have a large amount of items. On the plus side, I managed to fill out my Collection screen on that run.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

So remember how Edmund said that he would fix the reroll into Breakfast glitch through the use of D4 and the like? Well technically he did. Now it just rerolls you into no items if you exhaust the item pool, as I found out the hard way. :suicide: MissingNo caused that run to end early. I dunno if the D4 or Dice rooms can cause that, but definitely avoid MissingNo if you have a large amount of items. On the plus side, I managed to fill out my Collection screen on that run.

I'm glad that he found a way to screw the lost over in a new and exciting way

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm glad that he found a way to screw the lost over in a new and exciting way

I tested the D4, and yes. It also exhausts the item pool, leaving you with nothing if you use it too much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So it turns out that Fate's Reward has a really bad fire rate. I was hoping it was basically incubus but in better item pools.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's still pretty close.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

dis astranagant posted:

Purity is insane . . .Red is double strength devil horn.

This is not quite right. The curved horn gives +2 to what we call "flat" damage, which means it happens after the damage scaling formula, so the actual amount of damage your tears do is increased by exactly 2. The vast majority of the items that we talk about as being damage ups don't work this way. Instead they increase the input to the scaling formula.

Here's what the formula looks like!

actual damage = 3.5 * sqrt(1 + (total "damage ups") * 1.2)

So your starting damage is 3.5. If you get a +1 dmg item, then your damage becomes about 5.19. If you have just a red purity aura, which is +4 dmg, then your damage is about 8.43. Damage multipliers happen after this scaling step.

Here's a website I worked on that can help do these calculations for you: http://hyphen-ated.github.io/rebirthDps/ (it also does DPS!)
it's not updated with any afterbirth stuff though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The way it almost certainly currently works, mechanically, is that it scrubs all your items and then gives you random items equal to your current items as if you had picked them up so it doesn't really use any new code. Obviously Nicalis are just lazy :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Fetus posted:

Haha, so you ended back into basic isaac?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
D4 is almost useless as The Lost anyway. Yeah, you can re-roll into Holy Mantle, but also probably also lots of other awful junk you don't need or could be extraordinarily harmful. It's also not likely you'll re-roll into any kind of carry build. Theoretically D4 seems awesome, but it's still just more randomness added to a character that needed to have some randomness removed.

Edmund added the D4 to The Lost because he has this fantasy people aren't holding the R key hoping for Dead Cat or Holy Mantle. He thinks we're gonna go through Basement 1 and 2 then re-roll all the lovely useless items we got and sing the priases of the D4 when it gives us Dead Cat with Ipecac or Three Dollar Bill. Congrats now you don't wanna re-roll since you'd force the one item you wanted out of the pool, and lol the other items you got along with it are gonna kill you. That's not how people play The Lost because it would take a million years to finish any achievements doing runs like that.

He's trying to do this, "the fans don't really know what they want!" type of thinking when it comes to balance and design. The problem is that an approach like that requires a dev to understand how people play the game, but it doesn't appear as though he's actually done that. So he comes up with balance solutions that are difficult to understand the point of.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 11, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Soy milk+Head of the Keeper really breaks Greed Mode, though Ultra Greed takes loving forever though since he heals from picking up coins.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ErIog posted:

D4 is almost useless as The Lost anyway. Yeah, you can re-roll into Holy Mantle, but also probably also lots of other awful junk you don't need or could be extraordinarily harmful. It's also not likely you'll re-roll into any kind of carry build. Theoretically D4 seems awesome, but it's still just more randomness added to a character that needed to have some randomness removed.
Definitely agree.
Although, iirc there was a reddit poll about how to "improve" The Lost, so did people actually suggest this and voted it over say Dead Cat or Holy Mantle?

I guess the idea is that D4 still maintains the idea behind the Lost character while maybe giving him an extra possible chance to become viable with a lucky reroll, but I don't see any fun in that. I still am more likely to reset the run until I get at least Dead Cat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Greed mode with the lost is straight-up garbage, you'd think they'd have tested it enough to realize that sometimes it'll spawn a full Fistula right over the button or like six mullibooms in a little circle around you. Cool mechanics.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AbstractNapper posted:

Definitely agree.
Although, iirc there was a reddit poll about how to "improve" The Lost, so did people actually suggest this and voted it over say Dead Cat or Holy Mantle?

Yes, but nobody ever said reddit/r/boi wasn't full of morons

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

Definitely agree.

I guess the idea is that D4 still maintains the idea behind the Lost character while maybe giving him an extra possible chance to become viable with a lucky reroll, but I don't see any fun in that. I still am more likely to reset the run until I get at least Dead Cat.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, but nobody ever said reddit/r/boi wasn't full of morons

The choices were:
D6 + speed up
D6 + spectral tears
D20 + speed up
D20 + spectral tears
D4 + speed up
D4 + spectral tears

e: holy mantle would make The Lost a borderline Good Character™ and we all know Ed doesn't like that sorta thing.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 11, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish the lost started with one extra life, and got one more extra life every time you cleared a floor.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Jeeesus christ I am the biggest idiot. I wake up early today and see what Isaac is giving me for daily run oh it's the Lost. Well I probably won't kill MS but I do have holy mantle so I should make it a few floors down at least. About to fight first floor boss and I say "oh well I should check that curse room since I have the mantle" and it's spiders, I fight them kind of casually and one hits me and I say "oh no big deal" then realize i'm in the drat curse room!! :D

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh boy, if you see a small tight room with five buttons on the cathedral, go ahead and press them. you might end up swarmed by three duke of flies and three monstros in said tight room. I have no idea how I managed to squeeze through that.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Kawalimus posted:

Jeeesus christ I am the biggest idiot. I wake up early today and see what Isaac is giving me for daily run oh it's the Lost. Well I probably won't kill MS but I do have holy mantle so I should make it a few floors down at least. About to fight first floor boss and I say "oh well I should check that curse room since I have the mantle" and it's spiders, I fight them kind of casually and one hits me and I say "oh no big deal" then realize i'm in the drat curse room!! :D

exit the run and go back in, holy mantle will be back

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

asterioth posted:

exit the run and go back in, holy mantle will be back

He can't, it's the daily run

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

IronicDongz posted:

I wish the lost started with one extra life, and got one more extra life every time you cleared a floor.

That sounds like a fun and interesting mechanic too bad it won't happen

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Starting with Holy Mantle will be the Lost's unlock for clearing everything in hard mode

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your Computer posted:

The choices were:
D6 + speed up
D6 + spectral tears
D20 + speed up
D20 + spectral tears
D4 + speed up
D4 + spectral tears

e: holy mantle would make The Lost a borderline Good Character™ and we all know Ed doesn't like that sorta thing.

D6 + spectral tears won with 1600 votes, beating out the second place option by 1400 votes. Edmund then disregarded that and chose the D4 option

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tetracube posted:

D6 + spectral tears won with 1600 votes, beating out the second place option by 1400 votes. Edmund then disregarded that and chose the D4 option

D6 with the Lost would be too imbalanced, clearly.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

How Rude posted:

That sounds like a fun and interesting mechanic too bad it won't happen

Justin_Brett posted:

D6 with the Lost would be too imbalanced, clearly.

Man, this thread has gotten real catty.

In any case having two characters with the same starting item would be a bit weird, so D6 probably shouldn't have been in the choices in the first place.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kanfy posted:

Man, this thread has gotten real catty.

In any case having two characters with the same starting item would be a bit weird, so D6 probably shouldn't have been in the choices in the first place.

That was his reasoning for disregarding that choice, yeah. D20 or a lot of other things would've been nicer though

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I can kind of see the idea behind giving him the D4 to roll away health pickups but the D6 does a better job of that honestly.

Also wasn't there supposed to be a patch "early" this week? I wonder what's going on with that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Seriously though I honestly think that the Lost will only get the mantle once you get all of his unlocks.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The lost may or may not be complete bullshit in a game where enemies like daddy long legs exists, but plenty of people have beaten the game with him, so Edmund isn't necessarily wrong in thinking he's ok as is

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010

help

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Press and hold R

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Prop Wash posted:

The lost may or may not be complete bullshit in a game where enemies like daddy long legs exists, but plenty of people have beaten the game with him, so Edmund isn't necessarily wrong in thinking he's ok as is
he is actually

just because something is "possible" does not mean it is "reasonable", much less good. lots of people have beaten kaizo mario but that doesn't mean that it's good design lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can you not press the button as The Lost anymore?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
For the record The Lost is nowhere near as hard as most actual bullet hell games, especially poo poo like CAVE shooters, but all those games, despite being "one-hit" kills against much tougher bullet patterns than anything in BoI(aside from random poo poo like daddy longlegs' random stomp hitting you), give you multiple lives. Because they understand that leaving literally no room for error, is not fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Daddy Long Legs is one thing that's just stupid with his stomps you can't avoid. Simply a bad attack that should be gotten rid of. If they stopped certain enemies from popping up under you they should fix this too.