Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

you know what we do to liberals around here

Have them be the majority of posters in this forum, most likely? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

leftism's not liberalism

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

joeburz posted:

Yeah but no one cares what you think because you are against them regardless and just looking for any reason to discredit their side of the issue.

Mhm. I hope you feel the same way about The New York Times, The Atlantic, etc etc because now they're definitely looking at it the same way. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, the students were afraid of some outlets giving bad coverage. Now they all are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

leftism's not liberalism

If you say so, Comrade.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Aliquid posted:

tell them they're a cracker that wants in on the sweet, sweet oppression cred

Can't really do that, and let me explain with an anecdote. A few days ago someone tweeted at me calling me a race hustler which gave me the perfect opportunity to respond with the classic "But I'm white?"

Social media is weird.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

DeusExMachinima posted:

Mhm. I hope you feel the same way about The New York Times, The Atlantic, etc etc because now they're definitely looking at it the same way. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, the students were afraid of some outlets giving bad coverage. Now they all are.

Wow such difference in coverage from normal

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
We live in a country where whole movies are made about the power fantasy of a famous movie star beating up a journalist who was filming them in public without permission. But some college kids block a journalist's view of some private citizens and this is a serious free speech issue. We treat paparazzi like the scum of the earth.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Petr posted:

I'm still not sure if the kkk thing is bullshit - the only source I've seen so far is Twitter. I hope it is.

I'm going with wildly exaggerated, because reading Twitter makes it sound like the race war went hot.

Lots of dumb kids saying racist and inflammatory things because they're oh so edgy, yes, actual domestic terrorists making threats that really probably aren't credible, possibly, hooded KKK members actively marching through campus throwing poo poo at people and whatever else, you'd think there'd be at least a photo by now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

30.5 Days posted:

We live in a country where whole movies are made about the power fantasy of a famous movie star beating up a journalist who was filming them in public without permission. But some college kids block a journalist's view of some private citizens and this is a serious free speech issue. We treat paparazzi like the scum of the earth.

That's generally because "paparazzi," as the stereotypical celebrity tracker/photographers are known, are notoriously intrusive and intentionally try to get a rise out of people. It's one thing to be blasting flashbulbs when someone's at an event but entirely another when they're going between their car and a restaurant door. They're mouthy voyeurs, not journalists.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

30.5 Days posted:

Which one is that? I think I know the one you are talking about but I'm blanking on the title. Had the movie star killing several photographers through arranged accidents after his kid got hurt by their chasing for photos right?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Bluedeanie posted:

As far as I understand, national media hasn't actually set foot in Columbia for any of this, as they're waiting for local papers and stations to put their stuff on the wire or relying on student freelancers. Between literal and repeated threats of violence on/toward campus and a group of protesters' well-intentioned but ill-advised barricading of a public space in an attempt to keep media out, I'm not sure I'd really count on them getting a scoop on any of this.

And remember how during Ferguson Don Lemon was on the ground literally being teargassed and started to say as much, but then STL PD claimed on twitter that they were not using tear gas and were just firing "smoke" and he immediately changed his story to how it was smoke, while coughing and gagging through tear gas? I wouldn't put much stock in what cable news has to say about anything important at all these days.

e: Mizzou hires some real great professors these days!

https://twitter.com/JustDesmund/status/664305685987901440

I'm sure MU's lawyers are gonna be thrilled if/when they see this email.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

ReidRansom posted:

I'm going with wildly exaggerated, because reading Twitter makes it sound like the race war went hot.

Lots of dumb kids saying racist and inflammatory things because they're oh so edgy, yes, actual domestic terrorists making threats that really probably aren't credible, possibly, hooded KKK members actively marching through campus throwing poo poo at people and whatever else, you'd think there'd be at least a photo by now.

Most of it is self reported, but the KKK does have a decent sized presence in mid-Missouri, I remember them having a rally in Columbia in 2007 or so. So it really doesn't sound too unbelievable that they'd be there.

Fried Chicken posted:

Which one is that? I think I know the one you are talking about but I'm blanking on the title. Had the movie star killing several photographers through arranged accidents after his kid got hurt by their chasing for photos right?

I think it was actually called Paparazzi? Tom Sizemore was in it and it wasn't very good.

The paparazzi are indefensible though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

so I know a guy at Mizzou and it sounds like it's getting real harrowing up there.

ideally I think the campus security force would be setting up some sort of relay service where the officers walk large groups of students from the dorm sections of campus to the classroom sections of campus, but I suppose that would require :effort:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I hope it's just a couple channer fuckheads on yik-yak who will be arrested presently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder how one would find a peaceful resolution to the threats at Mizzou. Sure, you might be thinking "gently caress those inbred racists, meet force with force and form patrol crews to intimidate those loving cockroaches and turn those white hoods red" but you'll get a half dozen people saying you shouldn't entertain that notion because they're just scared poor rurals who take their marching orders from the Koch brothers or something. So, absent the "reconstruction" option, what would a peaceful outcome be and how would it be reached? Tell black students to shelter in place until those racist filth sober up and scurry back into their holes?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Petr posted:

I hope it's just a couple channer fuckheads on yik-yak who will be arrested presently.

Wow, an actual optimist in 2015! :smith:

Has anyone sent a copy of these headlines to John Roberts, btw? He might discover something interesting!

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Typical Pubbie posted:

Reading the last ten pages I just want to say I'm glad the D&D sleuths praxed out the real reason Professor Christakis defended the right of students to wear offensive costumes: He's actually a secret racist who loves blackface! All and all this has been a great week for social justice.

Wait, what

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

RPZip posted:

Wait, what

Typical Pubbie is upset that his "welfare king" costume wasn't a hit at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Halloween party.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

now seeing blogs questioning whether the poop swastika was real

poop-holocaust denial

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

alpha_destroy posted:

Someone in my Facebook wall just told me "the term you're looking for is systemic oppression, not racism" and lectured me about being ignorant as if systemic racism was not a form of systemic oppression. I didn't know what to say.

Were you playing definitional games, saying things like "racism = prejudice + power" or "people of colour can be racially prejudiced but not racist" or anything else that disingenuously conflates "racism" in the ordinary sense with "institutionally entrenched racism"?

Actual question, not accusing you of anything.

Petr posted:

The reporting on the Mizzou situation is so terrible. Every outlet makes it sound like this is all about the feces swastika, which obviously has nothing to do with the president. Is there a really good writeup somewhere about what the specific problems were leading up to this that I can link people?

Try MU's student newspaper.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

That's generally because "paparazzi," as the stereotypical celebrity tracker/photographers are known, are notoriously intrusive and intentionally try to get a rise out of people. It's one thing to be blasting flashbulbs when someone's at an event but entirely another when they're going between their car and a restaurant door. They're mouthy voyeurs, not journalists.

Yeah except the area we're talking about was those students' currently living area. So showing up and snapping pictures and asking questions they don't want to answer is still really invasive and obnoxious. And it's no more or less public than the sidewalk outside a restaurant.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah that's the one. There's also a thread of those sorts of plots on tv shows every time a movie star punches a paparazzi in the face. The plots always a have a "good for you!" vibe.

So, to review-

Paparazzi: Show up unwanted in the public area outside a public person's house and shout unwanted questions at them. Okay to punch in the face.
Real Serious Journalists: Show up unwanted in the public area inside a private person's current living area and shout unwanted questions at them. Not okay to block their view of the people they're bothering.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Real Serious Journalists are no better than paparazzi in most cases and trying to argue otherwise is lol

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah my point is that this was pretty obviously a paprazzi type situation and where normally we say "what scum", everyone's jumping on the protesters. The only justification seems to be that if you're protesting against an injustice your life oughta be an open book 24/7, and that's a load of horse poo poo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Our analysis finds that the plan would reduce federal revenues by $3.6 trillion over the next decade. However, the plan would improve incentives to work and invest, which would increase gross domestic product (GDP) by 13.9 percent over the long term. This increase in GDP would translate into 12.2 percent higher wages and 4.8 million new full-time equivalent jobs. After accounting for increased incomes due to these factors, the plan would reduce tax revenues by $768 billion.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/details-and-analysis-senator-ted-cruz-s-tax-plan

Somebody help me out here, make sure I'm reading this correctly. Is the Tax Foundation saying 4.8 million jobs would be created over a decade? Cause that's some horrendously loving lovely job growth.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

icantfindaname posted:

anyone who thinks the protesters should do anything other than storm the university's head office, raise the red flag from the roof, and declare Full Communism should have their D&D card revoked. complaining about the hurt feelings of CNN reporters should get you a term in a labor camp on top of that

This but unironically

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well the press isn't being cordoned off anymore and yet I'm having to trawl twitter for news of this stuff. Maybe they're right to not waste their time with them

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah my point is that this was pretty obviously a paprazzi type situation and where normally we say "what scum", everyone's jumping on the protesters. The only justification seems to be that if you're protesting against an injustice your life oughta be an open book 24/7, and that's a load of horse poo poo.

Do you actually condone assaulting paparazzi, though?

Clearly the photographer could sue if he wanted to, but I imagine he won't. What I find more alarming than the quite frankly rather awkward, amusing, and ultimately farcical way the protestors obstructed and shuffled him off is the fairly plain fact that they believed at the time that they believed they had license to do so. "You don't have a right to photograph us" One of them said, insipidly. That's worrying, the degree of legal ignorance that leads people think they really do have a right not to be photographed. And the absurd "Did you just touch her!?" bullshit when someone brushes his camera, or when he doesn't budge when pushed. That's really super-duper dumb, to be throwing obviously false accusations to someone that they're doing precisely the thing you're doing to them. Standing in front of a camera isn't a problem if you don't want pictures to be taken of a thing. But everything else about it was so boneheaded on the part of the protestors it really beggars beliefs.

Nonsense like this says far more about the dangers of just how quickly rational thought is sacrificed for the sake of myopic concerns in motivated groups. It speaks far more about the intelligence of the protestors than the coherence of their morality. Everyone from the centre-left on rightward is clutching their pearls about how supposedly backwards and regressive the young intellectual left's moral framework is, but I'm far more concerned by the stupidity on display at MU and at Yale than the students' value systems.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
The Atlantic being the best:

Yale
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

Mizzou
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/how-campus-activists-are-weaponizing-the-safe-space/415080/

quote:

First Amendment protections for photographers are vital. And I agree with my colleague, James Fallows, that Tai demonstrated impressive intellectual and emotional poise. But video of his encounter with protestors is noteworthy for another reason.

In the video of Tim Tai trying to carry out his ESPN assignment, I see the most vivid example yet of activists twisting the concept of “safe space” in a most confounding way. They have one lone student surrounded. They’re forcibly preventing him from exercising a civil right. At various points, they intimidate him. Ultimately, they physically push him. But all the while, they are operating on the premise, or carrying on the pretense, that he is making them unsafe.

It is as if they’ve weaponized the concept of “safe spaces.”

“I support people creating ‘safe spaces’ as a shield by exercising their freedom of association to organize themselves into mutually supporting communities,” Ken White wrote prior to this controversy. “But not everyone imagines ‘safe spaces’ like that. Some use the concept of ‘safe spaces’ as a sword, wielded to annex public spaces and demand that people within those spaces conform to their private norms.”

Yesterday, I wrote about Yale students who decided, in the name of creating a “safe space” on compass, to spit on people as they left a talk with which they disagreed. “In their muddled ideology,” I wrote, “the Yale activists had to destroy the safe space to save it.”

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Do you actually condone assaulting paparazzi, though?

lol are you implying that the journalists here have been assaulted?

No, I don't believe in assaulting paprazzi, so it's great that nobody was assaulted.

I do agree with treating paprazzi like the scum of the earth, though, so why's everyone coming out against the protesters unless they believe they don't deserve the same consideration as movie stars?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

30.5 Days posted:

No, I don't believe in assaulting paprazzi, so it's great that nobody was assaulted.

I do agree with treating paprazzi like the scum of the earth, though, so why's everyone coming out against the protesters unless they believe they don't deserve the same consideration as movie stars?

It seems you have answered your own question.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Would you agree there is something different about being photographed for being a part of a huge movement, protesting on public property/living there vs. being followed and photographed constantly from the moment you leave your house to go to lunch, run errands, do anything every day for years?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

Would you agree there is something different about being photographed for being a part of a huge movement, protesting on public property/living there vs. being followed and photographed constantly from the moment you leave your house to go to lunch, run errands, do anything every day for years?

You'll have to define where you think the line is- are you worthy of contempt after you've taken a certain number of pictures of someone, or only if you're taking pictures of someone who makes movies instead of protests?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like if I take a bunch of pictures of a homeless person near the dumpster where they sleep is that ok?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

You'll have to define where you think the line is- are you worthy of contempt after you've taken a certain number of pictures of someone, or only if you're taking pictures of someone who makes movies instead of protests?

Personally, I think a large part of the disdain for reporters taking photos of celebrities is both that it happens all the time, all day, wherever they go, and that they are taking photos to amplify peoples' personal lives, often accompanied by misrepresentations of what they are doing, to make money from tabloids.

I believe there is a difference between that and the situation of taking photos of protesters at Mizzou. That situation is more of a widely publicized, politically related event that is happening on public property in one place with many people attending that has, at most, been happening for a few weeks. e; However, it is understandable as well that what they are doing will be misrepresented because of MSM's take on protesting in general, especially concerning black people.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Those articles, especially the Mizzou one, articulate the problem really well. When activists show this kind of disgraceful behavior, it alienates people sympathetic to their cause, and opens them up wide for attack by their enemies.

When I say "people sympathetic to their cause," I don't mean "if only they were nicer they could get the racists on their side!" I'm talking about people like myself. This exact sort of poo poo, realizing that many student activists don't actually seem to be concerned with the ethics of their own behavior (the spitting! holy poo poo) and are also incredibly foolish about it ("I need some muscle over here," great job saying that on camera) is why I got burnt out and quit almost all the groups I was in at school. The only one that actually did anything useful and practical was the Planned Parenthood action group.

When you're fighting for a cause, you are inevitably going to experience a lot of bullshit. Like, for example, the media grossly misrepresenting you. You have to learn to deal with it and ideally find a way to use it for your own ends, not throw a hilarious tantrum for everyone to see.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw on facebook that Ronda Rousey has endorsed Bernie Sanders.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Like if I take a bunch of pictures of a homeless person near the dumpster where they sleep is that ok?

Yes, obviously.

30.5 Days posted:

Yes, obviously.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, if it's on Huffington Post it must be true!

This is going to confuse so many men who objectify women and vote straight-ticket R.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd follow Ronda Rousey into hell itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Yes, he was "assaulted"

• Locked thread