Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ghostinmyshell posted:

My favorite is the quarterly vulnerability scanning where things like 3389/22 gets marked as high. Boss doesn't read report and just says fix everything or else. I'm going to tell him to bring all the servers in house and I'll work on them hooking up a monitor and keyboard. Makes no difference to me.

I don't mind if you tell me RDP/SSH is enabled but mark that poo poo as low or something :smith:

It is a pretty high vulnerability if anyone can connect to them and you don't have an IP lock out system in place tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

It is a pretty high vulnerability if anyone can connect to them and you don't have an IP lock out system in place tho.
It's not a vulnerability. If your definition of vulnerability is public ability to login, every web based application has a vulnerability. Any sane system policy is going to restrict failed logins to some number, so the mere fact that those ports are open is not a vulnerability in and of itself.

Should they be firewalled off in some manner? Maybe, it depends on the network. If it were me, I would just block the scanner IP with the OS firewall and call it good. Easy fix.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

Should they be firewalled off in some manner? Maybe, it depends on the network. If it were me, I would just block the scanner IP with the OS firewall and call it good. Easy fix.

You're what I like to call "dangerously incompetent"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

adorai posted:

It's not a vulnerability. If your definition of vulnerability is public ability to login, every web based application has a vulnerability. Any sane system policy is going to restrict failed logins to some number, so the mere fact that those ports are open is not a vulnerability in and of itself.

I was talking about fail2ban or whatever applies to windows.

And logging into a webpage is world different than logging into the operating system. If you don't understand that difference, you REALLY need to get out of IT in every way shape and form, I wouldn't even trust you on helpdesk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

If your "fix" is simply to fool internal security auditing tools and I found out, I'd be actively lobbying for you to be fired.

Holy poo poo. I really hope you're just a minion and not someone with real responsibility.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VPS provider X has a sea of Windows servers with RDP open to the outside world.

As long as you follow the normal procedures of secure passwords and non-standard user names you should be okay 99.9% of the time. At minimum you would want some kind of firewall or at least allow connections only from certain IP's, and ideally you would like a VPN login required.

RDP is a lot more secure than it was just a few years ago but you still run the risk of a new exploit coming out and then a worm popping every open RDP server on the internet in like 2-3 days. It's just a lot more likely to happen with RDP than it is something like SSH.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

adorai posted:

You are the person who turns SELinux off.
You are the person I hate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also this is literally what Remote Desktop Gateway exists for.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
^^EFB because I am phone posting on the train.

Ideally you stand up a Remote Desktop Gateway that runs over HTTPS and requires you know the hostname/IP and have access to the destination through AD permissions in the gateway.

I did that at my last job so we could stop handing out full access VPN to loving everyone, including consultants and vendors.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is the first time I've ever done a physical SAN install with two CEs - I've never felt less necessary in my life heh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Goddam the Skype PSTN dial-in service is pretty much flawless :stare:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We're doing an IPSec evaluation for our core business stuff.
It involves a number of Gateway servers, including VDI and RDP.
One of the senior platform guys just asked why we don't just automatically generate and hand out IPSec certificates to every computer on the domain.

....um. Because why do IPSec then? I mean, it's like 9 servers that need IPSec certificates.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got an email from the CEO's assistant at the old place. I replied that this month will be a year since I left and I loved her reply:

"I can’t believe it’s been a year…there are no calendars in this I.T. HELL!"

:laugh:

The department has been handed off to a new manager, again! This time it's their new Chief Risk Officer, the fifth executive to oversee I.T. in the last five years. This person has no technology or operations background. Low C on the totem pole I guess.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

adorai posted:

SSH generally should not be exposed to the Internet without some kind of firewalling. You're going to want to have IPTables or another firewall restricting which source hosts can connect to the box. Leaving it open to any source is not a good practice, at all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
ssh is totally fine. Use fail2ban if password auth is on (which it shouldn't be, at least on something public-facing)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Does RDP have something equivalent to SSH keys and/or fail2ban?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Client certs. And you can trigger scripts on event log actions, so powershell to add firewall rules on failed logins should be really easy. Or there are 3rd party tools, of course.

But you should just use an RDP gateway and configure it properly

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You should never have SSH open to the world, ever, for the simple fact that eventually someone will make a mistake and a machine will get put on the network an an insecure configuration (yeah, this BMS appliance has the default login, I only just installed it yesterday...) and it'll get hosed.

SSH/RDP should always be closed, if remote access is needed then a role-based VPN solution is the way to do it. Alternatively, if people need SSH access in then secure it based on source-ip and keep track of who it is so at least you can point the finger at someone if you get compromised.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

abigserve posted:

You should never have SSH open to the world, ever, for the simple fact that eventually someone will make a mistake and a machine will get put on the network an an insecure configuration (yeah, this BMS appliance has the default login, I only just installed it yesterday...) and it'll get hosed.

SSH/RDP should always be closed, if remote access is needed then a role-based VPN solution is the way to do it. Alternatively, if people need SSH access in then secure it based on source-ip and keep track of who it is so at least you can point the finger at someone if you get compromised.

Allowing SSH into hosts on your company's network still requires some sort of NATing so it's not like someone standing up an insecure server internally will mean that server is automatically exposed to external networks, absent the creation of additional configurations to make that possible.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's not that any one type of exposure is bad, it's that anything that's left open will always have the chance of being exploited sometime down the road, hence the best practice of only leaving open or available what you have to.

That's really all there is to it. Unless there is a good reason to have something like that public facing, disable it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
ACLs or certs sound a lot more convenient for ssh than a VPN. Another vote for RDG for remote desktop too

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 11, 2015

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

A complete VPN setup can solve other problems though. It's good plumbing to have in place.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It can also cause loads of problems if your VPN gives the same level of access as a device connected directly to the LAN because you did a bit of set-and-forget with the configuration. I'd prefer to exhaust all other options before resorting to VPN.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just turn it all off and use paper

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

If you're giving someone access to a RDG and then allowing that box to talk to internal resources then that's literally an SSL VPN that only does port 3389. Any hardware VPN box can do that with the added bonus of it not being transparent to your network and security administrators.

Then again every place I've worked so far basically does not trust server admins to not to stupid poo poo so if you have a better relationship with your security staff I can certainly see how such a solution would be better than a full on VPN.

Regardless I think client VPN's will eventually be replaced by VDI solutions except for very niche things.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

abigserve posted:

Regardless I think client VPN's will eventually be replaced by VDI solutions except for very niche things.

That's going to be a long while considering the cost of desktop storage versus SAN storage. VDI works well for non-persistent instances and terribly for everything else unless you want to spend a fortune.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

abigserve posted:

If you're giving someone access to a RDG and then allowing that box to talk to internal resources then that's literally an SSL VPN that only does port 3389. Any hardware VPN box can do that with the added bonus of it not being transparent to your network and security administrators.

Like I mentioned before, RDG only listens on port 443 via HTTPS, and does not require software to install like almost all VPNs do. Also,
if you are doing it right, you can limit the internal resources that any user has access to via AD groups and the fact that standard users are not part the the Remote Desktop Users group by default.

Yes you can do similar configs for VPN, but typically with way more work.

Also, you know that Windows has logs right? I don't know how it would be "transparent" by your standards.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

abigserve posted:

That's not what an SSL VPN does. A client VPN connection modifies the client interfaces, route tables and DNS and makes the client appear to be connected to a local, internal subnet. Firewall rules need to be put into place to prevent clients on the VPN from communicating with other services, and that's assuming they haven't just been configured to land on the same subnet as a bunch of other internal devices. Your VPN connected client can propagate malware into the local network if the appropriate firewall rules and NAC rules aren't in place.

An RDC connection just provides a tunnel into a specific internal resource. It's far harder for client resident malware to propagate that way since there is no direct route from the client to other internal resources.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That's going to be a long while considering the cost of desktop storage versus SAN storage. VDI works well for non-persistent instances and terribly for everything else unless you want to spend a fortune.

Hybrid and all flash storage have gotten much cheaper and things like inline dedupe, compression, and clone offload have made consolidation of large numbers of desktops on a relatively small amount of storage feasible, bringing the true cost down even more. Add in the operational savings and security benefits and the cost argument starts looking worse and worse.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

That's not what an SSL VPN does. A client VPN connection modifies the client interfaces, route tables and DNS and makes the client appear to be connected to a local, internal subnet. Firewall rules need to be put into place to prevent clients on the VPN from communicating with other services, and that's assuming they haven't just been configured to land on the same subnet as a bunch of other internal devices. Your VPN connected client can propagate malware into the local network if the appropriate firewall rules and NAC rules aren't in place.

An RDC connection just provides a tunnel into a specific internal resource. It's far harder for client resident malware to propagate that way since there is no direct route from the client to other internal resources.

Of course, but an RDG performs the same function, that is tunneling application traffic inside SSL to get around security policy that would otherwise block it. The difference is installing an actual VPN server usually requires the input of networks and security and can be configured however you want when your clients suddenly also want access to other internal resources instead of just RDP.

Your methodology was applied at my last job, a university, where everyone just did whatever they thought worked without considering the wholistic picture. Yeah sweet RDG works for that application, and I guess an SSH gateway can do that as well, but oh now you've got departments running all sorts of servers all around the place instead of someone just consolidating it all into one properly configured system.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

abigserve posted:

Your methodology was applied at my last job, a university

I didn't state a methodology. I just said that VPN and RDG have different security considerations. This is a conversation about security so it's pretty important to not draw a false equivalence.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

abigserve posted:

Of course, but an RDG performs the same function, that is tunneling application traffic inside SSL to get around security policy that would otherwise block it. The difference is installing an actual VPN server usually requires the input of networks and security and can be configured however you want when your clients suddenly also want access to other internal resources instead of just RDP.

Your methodology was applied at my last job, a university, where everyone just did whatever they thought worked without considering the wholistic picture. Yeah sweet RDG works for that application, and I guess an SSH gateway can do that as well, but oh now you've got departments running all sorts of servers all around the place instead of someone just consolidating it all into one properly configured system.
I just want to clarify that when you say "one properly configured system," what you actually mean is "one IT-managed system that a few people actually use, and an entire set of shadow IT infrastructures in the public cloud that IT doesn't know about and will never, ever manage."

e: I'm going to set the spread at ten separate Dropbox for Business accounts for different departments/labs.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 11, 2015

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

I just want to clarify that when you say "one properly configured system," what you actually mean is "one IT-managed system that a few people actually use, and an entire set of shadow IT infrastructures in the public cloud that IT doesn't know about and will never, ever manage."

e: I'm going to set the spread at ten separate Dropbox for Business accounts for different departments/labs.

Are you saying IT departments/IT infrastructure should be abolished or what? If so I think I agree

NippleFloss posted:

I didn't state a methodology. I just said that VPN and RDG have different security considerations. This is a conversation about security so it's pretty important to not draw a false equivalence.

You specified a solution to a problem (RDP remote access) which involves deploying a specific application (RDG) to solve it. I agree that's a perfectly valid solution and I agree it's also a perfectly secure solution, and it's definitely even more secure than an improperly configured VPN setup.

However I disagree that it's the right way to approach the problem for reasons I've already outlined. They do have differnet security considerations but it's purely administrative, I.E "Someone could gently caress up the VPN config". An SSL VPN that only permits 3389 access is not inherently less secure than an RDG setup in any way that I can think of off the top of my head.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I got a random recruiter email for a security position that seems interesting to pull me from my current job. I'm happy enough where I am to stay if it doesn't turn out to be a good move so I'm fine with moving on if there's some catch, but since this is my first time communicating with a recruiter, what should I look out for? All I know at the moment is that it's a 6 month w2 contract to hire.

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 11, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Drunk Badger posted:

I got a random recruiter email for a security position that seems interesting to pull me from my current job. I'm happy enough where I am to stay if it doesn't turn out to be a good move so I'm fine with moving on if there's some catch, but since this is my first time communicating with a recruiter, what should I look out for? All I know at the moment is that it's a 6 month w2 contract to hire.

Whatever you do, if he asks you what your current salary is, either do or do not tell him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NippleFloss posted:

Firewall rules need to be put into place to prevent clients on the VPN from communicating with other services, and that's assuming they haven't just been configured to land on the same subnet as a bunch of other internal devices. Your VPN connected client can propagate malware into the local network if the appropriate firewall rules and NAC rules aren't in place.

I like this so that people don't have to have a work laptop to remote in. They can use their home PC, they're not going to gently caress anything up by just RDP'ing in.

Otherwise you have to get a laptop, VPN client, anti-virus, lock the machine down, make sure it's updated... The bad thing is they have to leave their desktop on 24/7, and have a second machine to remote in (so that fucks people who only use a laptop), or you have to setup a terminal server,

Then the question becomes 'how do I get on the network with my iPad', and then you say "what do you need to do with it", then you explain how you can get Outlook without the VPN, get on the ERP system without the VPN, the only thing you can't do is get your 'files' which doesn't matter because you don't have Word/Excel and if you buy them for the iPad you're not going to like them so get the gently caress out of my face random manager dude.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So our sysadmin put in his two weeks yesterday and then didn't show up today. There's only me and our IT director now and I've only been in IT for just over 6 months. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Then the question becomes 'how do I get on the network with my iPad', and then you say "what do you need to do with it", then you explain how you can get Outlook without the VPN, get on the ERP system without the VPN, the only thing you can't do is get your 'files' which doesn't matter because you don't have Word/Excel and if you buy them for the iPad you're not going to like them so get the gently caress out of my face random manager dude.

Or they can use one of several remote desktop apps on the app store that support a Remote Desktop Gateway, including the one from Microsoft.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

All I know at the moment is that it's a 6 month w2 contract to hire.
Actually, all you know right now is that it's a 6-month contract. There are no guarantees in these cases.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress client to site VPNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

vibur posted:

Actually, all you know right now is that it's a 6-month contract. There are no guarantees in these cases.

There's also no guarantee that you won't poo poo the bed and be fired during your 90 day probationary period or that your company won't start taking on water and drop you under "last in - first out" circumstances. Don't be a nay-sayer, interview for it and use the conversation with the hiring manager to gauge their intent for permanence. In almost 5 years, I've only had 1 contract to hire go south because the financial situation changed at the company. I've had a LOT more people poo poo the bed by overselling their experience.

Also, if it's a contract to hire, you're dealing with an agency recruiter who doesn't care about what your conversion salary is because it doesn't impact him whatsoever. He WANTS to get you what you want, so you'll take the job. Establish the conversion salary expectations first, then discuss your hourly based on that. If I have a conversion salary of $100K, I typically have a bill rate capable of supporting that equivalent, say $50-55/hr.