Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
One day my daughter is going to complain about how grainy a DVD is, uugghh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Remember getting a DVD with a letterboxed image inside a 4:3 frame with hardcoded subtitles :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh god but they ARE. They aren't 4k! They aren't even 1080 which at least wont make my eyes bleed! How did you EVER live with this 720i?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

Remember getting a DVD with a letterboxed image inside a 4:3 frame with hardcoded subtitles :argh:

Star Wars latest Blu-ray releases came with bonus discs of the original theatrical cuts in this format, It's awful.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someday VHS will become vintage and videophiles will be a thing and they will talk about the warmth of a VHS recorded at SP.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

hihifellow posted:

Someday VHS will become vintage and videophiles will be a thing and they will talk about the warmth of a VHS recorded at SP.
Wow and flutter are just more authentic

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I sold my 2003 car last week and in doing so lost the last cassette player I had access to. The end of an era!

The new car has a modern infotainment system but I laughed when I opened the glovebox and found a single slot CD player in there. It's almost like they were ashamed of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hihifellow posted:

This thing already happened in like 2008. It's already a thing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

hihifellow posted:

SP? Nah, if I use SLP I can fit like 6 episodes of Babylon 5.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

Remember renting 'Basic Instinct' and finding the tape stretched wafer-thin at that one scene?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Finster Dexter posted:

SP? Nah, if I use SLP I can fit like 6 episodes of Babylon 5.

Certain people who may or may not be related to me used to record operas off FM radio to VHS. To SLP of course because then he could fit an entire opera on one tape. To clarify, there was no video, because, y'know, radio. He was recording just audio, off FM, to VHS.

:suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Can I ask you what the client name is, and if it's in NYC. If yes, there's a nearly 100% chance I set that client up with Asterisk.

Possibly? We have a ton of clients around. Was it for a university?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Right now not so much pissing me off as making me laugh...

We're a sub on an electronic document management project that's been going almost four years now (thanks to dragging of feet by the customer). First, a flashback to October 2012...

One of the requirements of the contract is a read-only DR environment. There is word that the prime might cave and give the customer a read/write environment. I'm invited to a call by the prime on a Friday afternoon.
Prime: So, [HEAD DUDE] has agreed to provide a read/write environment. We need you to do XYZ this weekend.
Me: I cannot do anything without a signed change request as this is now out of scope. :byewhore:

Within a week, one is signed. For some reason they can't make it simple and allow these off site servers to use the same names as the production servers. We point out that it was done on another project handled by them. They said that project was done by a company they bought out, so they do things differently. The solution? Put hosts files entries on the DR and prod servers and use those aliases throughout all of the product configurations. The database and document stores were supposed to be replicated at near real time, yet I remember seeing that configuration change I made in production still didn't exist in the DR environment over a week later. I don't know how this thing every passed the first round.

Back to today. I just got an email from the prime that the customer is doing a new DR test this weekend, can I or someone else be on call? Oh, and they were trying to test it and they can't get the web site to come up on the DR server, can I check it? Probably not without a signed change order!

My PM asked if it would even work. Probably not, as we haven't touched it in three years and a lot of new processes such as integration with third party applications and SSO were implemented. I think he said it best with "Oh boy, fireworks in November!"

I'm laughing now, but if I have to deal with this poo poo this weekend...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Your daughter is going to wonder how the hell people stood having to have and use physical storage media to watch things.

(I've almost reached that point myself.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
poo poo that was previously pissing me off: Microsoft contacted us and wanted to do a software audit. We're a small office (<25 employees), and when they sent me the paperwork, it was waaaaaaayyyyyy more than I thought it was going to be.

So, I shot them an email basically saying "I'm too busy to do this before March," and they just said "okay, then, never mind." Surprisingly easy.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So, I've sort of been out of touch for a few weeks - my internet connection has been so flaky for the last 3 weeks that I've basically not had any opportunity to come online during the rare times when it would work. In this time I've had 7 technicians called out, had 4 modems replaced, had my line into my apartment rewired, had 3 splitters replaced, an amp replaced, and half a dozen other things done to the outside box. So last night tech #7 showed up, whipped out his TDR and checked frequencies and noise on the line. Every tech but him had ignored my comment that all my problems started when the building across the street caught on fire.

The tech called out his PM tech and they looked at a line map - the connection from the demarc to my building went past the burned building. No one had bothered to terminate the traps for the burned building, and as a result there was so much interference on the line that it wasn't surprising that I couldn't get online. I almost cried when I woke up this morning and my internet connection was still online. I even did a little happy dance when I got home a few minutes ago and saw I was online. That hasn't happened for almost a month now, and I sincerely hope the problem is resolved.

I'm still going to call the account reps at TWC and bitch and demand a credit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

People that don't log off servers piss me off. Why yes, I love playing whack-a-mole from my remote desktop gateway trying to find another of our 40 servers that there AREN'T 2 idiots on, so that I can then kick the idiots off the server I actually want to get onto.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
poo poo pissing me off: client software that still requires HP LaserJet 5SI drivers to function.

5SI was a model, not a standard. God drat it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Pissing me off today: trying to get all domain users added to the remote desktop users group via gpo change. Security made some bullshit situation up and said no. So my team gets to manually do something that we never say no to and keep getting extra calls on it.

Everyone can log into any Windows computer on our domain. What the gently caress difference does it make to do it remotely?

Also almost no one is local admin on the boxes so no risk there.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm laughing now, but if I have to deal with this poo poo this weekend...

"I have a family emergency and need to travel out of town this weekend"

Done and done.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

"I have a family emergency and need to travel out of town this weekend"

Done and done.

Oh, I already got another reply from the head of the our entire integration services department. He said that in a meeting last month he told the prime the DR test would not work, the customer knows it won't work, so why the hell are they even bothering to test it? Also, no, we aren't making anyone available to them this weekend. We're meeting up tomorrow for an unrelated project, so we're going to craft a response tomorrow. I'm sure the phrase "time and materials" will be involved.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Potato Alley posted:

Certain people who may or may not be related to me used to record operas off FM radio to VHS. To SLP of course because then he could fit an entire opera on one tape. To clarify, there was no video, because, y'know, radio. He was recording just audio, off FM, to VHS.

:suicide:

What he's doing isn't unheard of or nearly as weird as you'd imagine. Hi-Fi VHS is capable of recording some very high quality audio, comparable to CDs with the right gear. It probably sounds better than his cassette deck and, yeah, looooooooooooong play time compared to cassettes.
Broke musicians used them as mixdown recorders for multi-track audio before DAT decks became widespread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

People that don't log off servers piss me off. Why yes, I love playing whack-a-mole from my remote desktop gateway trying to find another of our 40 servers that there AREN'T 2 idiots on, so that I can then kick the idiots off the server I actually want to get onto.
We installed a management tools server which is terminal services licensed. Everyone gets to use that instead and it has all the necessary remote admin tools on it.
Then I set "log off disconnected users after 1 hour" on all the other servers and limited the remote login rights to only our infrastructure guys.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 11, 2015

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
In relation to Media chat and audiophiles, I actually found this video very informative when it comes to analog vs digital: http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
Essentially, no, you don't really lose data converting from analog to digital (when it comes to RAW audio, that is)
And also larger depth audio doesn't mean better: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The guy who owns one of the local used vinyl shops hands out flyers explaining the analog/digital stairstepping thing.

Rather than get into it I just say, "Vinyl sounds different, and I like it." Same with VHS - some movies (horror) maybe just look better.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Are retards obsessing over the warm hiss of cassettes yet?

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

My stepdad has a bunch of 80's and 90's movies on VHS, I can't look at the TV when he plays them. So loving snowy and grainy. Headache-inducing.

You mean you can't marvel at the glory that is..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
:ohdear:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that's pissing me off lately: aggressive sales guys. We answer the door if the warehouse process overlord isn't at the front desk, she doubles as receptionist.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've answered the door to three different sales guys showing up unannounced wanting to talk to someone, blah blah, blah. gently caress you, no. "Is there someone I can contact?"

"Company policy doesn't allow me to give out that I information, sorry."

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

devmd01 posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off lately: aggressive sales guys. We answer the door if the warehouse process overlord isn't at the front desk, she doubles as receptionist.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've answered the door to three different sales guys showing up unannounced wanting to talk to someone, blah blah, blah. gently caress you, no. "Is there someone I can contact?"

"Company policy doesn't allow me to give out that I information, sorry."

Never had to deal with something that ridiculous but I had a guy book a call and then show up in person, that was really annoying. Nothing compared to the way those guys write emails though. Any updates on your progress would be appreciated. Please call me at your earliest convenience -Mike

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We have a new receptionist who hasn't yet been properly trained to yank the chain of telemarketers until they give up, so I've had two cold calls forwarded to me this week. I suspect from the same telemarketing firm because they both had the same opening pitch of trying to sound like your best buddy and doing the voice-only impression of that creepy guy on the subway with no concept of personal space, asking about your IT environment and what systems you use and how many users you have and poo poo like that.

Usually I just hang up on them. If I'm in a good mood I'll tell them to hang on and I'll let them talk to a manager, then forward their call to a fax line or the time of day service.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
I can't stand the "you're confirmed for this upcoming webinar" emails. Screw you, I didn't sign up for this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roargasm posted:

Never had to deal with something that ridiculous but I had a guy book a call and then show up in person, that was really annoying. Nothing compared to the way those guys write emails though. Any updates on your progress would be appreciated. Please call me at your earliest convenience -Mike

My favorite "Follow up from last weeks conversation"

gently caress you, Chad. You shouting into the void by sending me a cold-sales email last week does not constitute a "conversation".

quote:

then forward their call to a fax line or the time of day service.

I'll have to try that one. I have a multi-line phone, so I usually leave them on hold until they hang up. Usually only after a minute or two, but every now and then some guy hangs on for 10 minutes before dropping.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 11, 2015

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Roargasm posted:

The Puppet Enterprise guys are starting to annoy me. They'll call me periodically to ask if anything has changed with our decision to not buy enterprise and every time I tell them "You still don't do enterprise support for HP-UX and I'm not going to put in a PR for a product that I'm just going to have to bundle on the worst OS ever myself". 3 months later, another phone call, same result. They see I signed up to watch the PuppetConf keynote online, another phone call.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Collateral Damage posted:

Usually I just hang up on them. If I'm in a good mood I'll tell them to hang on and I'll let them talk to a manager, then forward their call to a fax line or the time of day service.
I got a call from a guy selling cables, I pretended he wanted to buy cables from me, and kept telling him I didn't sell cables. When he finally got a word in and told me he was selling cables, I asked if that was true, why did he want to buy cables from me? He finally got frustrated and hung up; I never heard from him again.

Depending on my mood and time, I have told SAP/Oracle vendors that we don't use a database - Microsoft Word best for us, it's very easy to search. I will pretend they are a computer help desk calling me and begin to detail how slow my email/internet is, and ask for solutions.

Being purposefully obtuse has always worked best for me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I guess I am the only one who doesn't pick up my phone for unknown numbers?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

just got asked to restore a WAMP stack from backup. You read that right, a loving WINDOWS box running Joomla.

edit: how much should I charge per hour?

vvvv Looks like server 2008+. I hope it is at least...

Spazz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 11, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spazz posted:

just got asked to restore a WAMP stack from backup. You read that right, a loving WINDOWS box running Joomla.

Heh, I have seen a fair amount of those in my day. Let me guess, running XP?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

Yeah, same here. If I know who they are, I'll pick up. If I don't know who they are, and if it's important, they'll leave a message. Everyone else is telemarketers or asking for blood.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moey posted:

But then these tools leave a message and then I have to deal with the god drat red flashy light out of the corner of my eye until I go in and delete the message. Easier to just answer and then put them on hold until they give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Currently in an MCSA course that work is paying for. Full of "senior" engineers.

HOW THE gently caress ARE WE ON DAY THREE AND STILL loving STRUGGLING WITH BASIC SUBNETTING
Jesus gently caress kill me.

I know it's not a networking class but god drat this is basic poo poo guys, come the gently caress on