Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

pathetic little tramp posted:

The RNC packs these debates and they have their marching orders to boo Trump because he's the threat. Listen to when he asked why Fiorina was interrupting everybody, it starts off as laughter and then they all remember they're supposed to boo him. It's just like the people they paid to go to Florida and boo the vote recounters in 2000, authoritarian lickspittles in the GOP are a dime a dozen.

It's also Wisconsin and a lot of the Republicans over there are butt-hurt over Trump killing Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

It's also Wisconsin and a lot of the Republicans over there are butt-hurt over Trump killing Walker.

I thought most of Wisconsin, Republicans included, hated Walker, for a variety of reasons that can generally be summed up as "he is a lovely, corrupt person and everyone knows it".

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Roland Jones posted:

I thought most of Wisconsin, Republicans included, hated Walker, for a variety of reasons that can generally be summed up as "he is a lovely, corrupt person and everyone knows it".

But that's most of Washington? That's not really enough to piss off either party. He's got to be annoying to be around too; people would be cool with his shittiness and his corruption if he were charismatic.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Wisconsin republicans loved Walker almost solely because liberals despised him. It was tribalism at its finest.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

The people who made up the audience were Wisconsin Republican donors and party faithful, most of them were/are Walker people.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I'm so fired up for Jeb! after his amazing debate performance!!!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
so much concentrated evil in one place

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rocks posted:

I'm so fired up for Jeb! after his amazing debate performance!!!
After "Jeb" I see the exclamation point as a vertical motion line above a "splat" where the guy hit the ground.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a crisis of faith. That annoying little voice of reason in my head is whispering to me. "It's time for . . . . a New American Century (TM)"

Forgive me Lord President Trump for my weakness. Guide me through these troubled times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Boosted_C5 posted:

I'm having a crisis of faith. That annoying little voice of reason in my head is whispering to me. "It's time for . . . . a New American Century (TM)"

Forgive me Lord President Trump for my weakness. Guide me through these troubled times.

just make a bottom-three-finger chopping motion until you feel better

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Boosted_C5 posted:

If Trump loses the Boosted vote then he is truly stumped.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 18, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

memy posted:

Still fumimg that no one called Cruz on his forgetting the fifth agency

I want Oops Pt. 2 dammit

This is maddening...until you remember Rick Perry was probably watching.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jeb is such a salty bitch.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/664469991920697344

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/TeeMcSee/status/664471538347962368
"Have you ever noticed there's an American way, an American dream? There's no French dream. There's no Canadian dream."
–Ben Carson

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

Triglav posted:

Federal taxes are not regressive. Local taxes may be regressive somewhere, but federal taxes are not. Even if federal taxes were as simple as a single flat rate and a generous standard deduction, they would not be regressive.

Yeah as a whole they're not regressive, but the payroll tax, which makes up a huge chunk of it, is.

quote:

I have no idea what the second half of your paragraph means. Financialization of the economy? Economization of finance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financialization

Its a pretty common descriptor of the pooling of increasing amounts of capital accruing to the highest earning Americans being turned into financial instruments, in turn creating a destabilizing effect on the economy.

quote:

What do you think Social Security was created for, solely to increase government revenues and the United States' bond rating overseas? It was created because citizens were going broke, from misfortune, a loss of their abilities, and a lack of personal financial planning. It was created as a basic safety net.

I agree with this. I don't see how raising the payroll cap affects this at all.

quote:

That's fine. Many people build multiple safety nets. It's good financial planning. It's also good economics to have more people paid more through more years of their life so more things are bought and more things are sold and more taxes are collected.

The general assertion seems plausible enough, but what are you saying here specifically? Are you talking about raising the retiree age needed to attain social security, or am I misconstruing you?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I've been trying to think of an analogy to highlight how ridiculous and outdated the gold standard is and I realized that many of them are also against vaccines so there you go.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

“You’re going to have a deportation force, and you’re going to do it humanely. We’re going to build the wall. It’s going to be a real deal. It’s going to be a real wall.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/11/11/trump-create-a-deportation-force.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Piquai Souban posted:

https://twitter.com/TeeMcSee/status/664471538347962368
"Have you ever noticed there's an American way, an American dream? There's no French dream. There's no Canadian dream."
–Ben Carson

I honestly think Ben Carson is mentally defective at this point. God only knows how he managed to do brain surgery.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Montasque posted:

“You’re going to have a deportation force, and you’re going to do it humanely. We’re going to build the wall. It’s going to be a real deal. It’s going to be a real wall.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/11/11/trump-create-a-deportation-force.html

Trump has repeatedly used the phrase "We have millions of people that are waiting online to come here-- legally." I always picture millions of people sitting overseas and refreshing their internet browsers repeatedly waiting for their immigration documents.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rocks posted:

Kasich always seems like a good dude and I like hearing him speak, that's my opinion about this primary

he went to a gay marriage and had a good time, and he's willing to say it, which speaks to a core of humanity that isn't there with the others~

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

sharkbomb posted:

Trump has repeatedly used the phrase "We have millions of people that are waiting online to come here-- legally." I always picture millions of people sitting overseas and refreshing their internet browsers repeatedly waiting for their immigration documents.
That's a NY thing (maybe other places, too, not sure). It used to bug the poo poo out of me when I first got here. They say "on line" when normal right-thinking humans say "in line".

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

PT6A posted:

I honestly think Ben Carson is mentally defective at this point. God only knows how he managed to do brain surgery.

He seems incapable of empathy or considering another's point of view (or even thinking of others as fully actualized beings), for sure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Actually, we have two of them:

1.) The Leafs win the Cup.
2.) The Leafs continue to not win the Cup. :quebec:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

As someone who works in the film industry I can tell you there are plenty of people doing just that.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Piquai Souban posted:

He seems incapable of empathy or considering another's point of view (or even thinking of others as fully actualized beings), for sure.

How do you figure?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 22, 2016

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
any (even pseudo-legit) post-debate polls yet? Seems like carson didn't win over the goon demo, but I wanna know how true this:

Montasque posted:

Frank Luntz focus group again says Rubio won.

EDIT:

Carson and Jeb voters in the focus group switching to Rubio. Almost every Carson supporter in this group seems to be switching to someone else. One Carson supporter is now in for Cruz...

is among smoothriches of the world :getin:

My predictions:
biggest winner: Rubs
slightly up: Cruz, Fiorina
totally even: Carson, Jeb, Rand
slightly down: Christie, Kasich
biggest loser: Trump

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
The more I think about it, the more I think that Chris Christie had one of the best nights. Kiddie table debate or no, he came out with a plan to attack Democrats that would appeal to the eventual winner of the debates and make him useful beyond his current failed bid, while starting a messaging point about him being tough on crime and a law-and-order Republican that could lead to a post-election niche for himself.

Meanwhile, Carly Fiorina committed the double sin of attacking her fellow Republicans in a Jindalesque manner while doing too little to improve her slim chances of becoming the nominee. Someone is clearly giving her bad advice on her ability to win the nomination, and all she is accomplishing is proving she is unreliable in her role as a Clinton attack dog. She is isolating herself from further opportunities.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

I think it's becoming increasingly apparent that some time in the last 20 years, Ben Carson attempted to do brain surgery on himself and ended up removing the pieces necessary for logic, excitement, and not saying the craziest poo poo imaginable at any given moment.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

wow, i had kind of assumed their public feud was a facade, i guess jeb really is mad the student has become the master

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think Ben Carson's been huffing his own fumes for the last few decades. His own life seemed to be so perfect, so Gifted hands (tm) and now he thinks he's the smartest, best guy for everything.

I don't know, after a few years of getting all those awards, a made-for-TV movie about you, and just non-stop praise, I'd build up an ego too.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Logikv9 posted:

I think Ben Carson's been huffing his own fumes for the last few decades. His own life seemed to be so perfect, so Gifted hands (tm) and now he thinks he's the smartest, best guy for everything.

I don't know, after a few years of getting all those awards, a made-for-TV movie about you, and just non-stop praise, I'd build up an ego too.

Yeah, if they cast Cuba Gooding Jr as me in a movie about me being awesome, I'd probably become a little loony.

But mostly because they cast a middle-aged black guy to portray a gangly white boy in his mid 20s.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bob Dole is Excited for Jeb!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bob-dole-endorses-jeb-bush-n461451

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

People who apply for residency really do sit and refresh their browsers/check the immigration site to see if they win the literal immigration lottery. I doubt that's what trump means though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sharkbomb posted:

Like someone else mentioned, saying "on line" instead of "in line" is an NYC thing. I didn't even know "in line" was more common until I went to college.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. (gifted) Hands.

friend bear

friend horse

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

I seriously get a shiver of fear down my spine every time Rubio says "New American Century".

quote:

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was a neoconservative think tank based in Washington, D.C. that focused on United States foreign policy. It was established as a non-profit educational organization in 1997, and founded by William Kristol and Robert Kagan. The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership". The organization stated that "American leadership is good both for America and for the world," and sought to build support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity".

Of the twenty-five people who signed the PNAC's founding statement of principles, ten went on to serve in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, including Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz. Observers such as Irwin Stelzer and Dave Grondin have suggested that the PNAC played a key role in shaping the foreign policy of the Bush Administration, particularly in building support for the Iraq War.
He has to have some sort of intention there, and it freaks me out that no one is gonna bother to call him out on it.

Necc0 posted:

I've been trying to think of an analogy to highlight how ridiculous and outdated the gold standard is and I realized that many of them are also against vaccines so there you go.
Free Silver or bust, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

fade5 posted:

I seriously get a shiver of fear down my spine every time Rubio says "New American Century".

It just sounds so forced, especially when compared to Trump's "make america great again".

• Locked thread