Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lightning Jim posted:

Introducing Buffalo LED Bulbs! Tired of storing your data on drives? Store them in the cloud, with your lights!
Keep them out of sight AND brighten up your rooms!
Our patented Bulb technology allows it to power storage and light at the same time!
* Warning: filling up with too much data or wattage will damage your bulbs

I believe the correct term is "optical drives" tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You just keep scrolling and more stories show up. Sinister.

re: Lightbulbs - I thought they had mercury in them?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Danith posted:

Ya but even when their VPN'd in they can get the popup over and over again. It's like the credentials on the laptop aren't matching whats on the server and they don't update unless you try to log on/unlock account

Next time it happens, have your user run klist purge and see if it fixes the issue the same way logging off and on does. If it does, come back here and mention what kind of VPN you're using and with what sort of credentials, because I think you can just solve this problem instead of helpdesking it into submission.

To answer your original question: try winlogon.log and netlogon.log.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Lightning Jim posted:

Introducing Buffalo LED Bulbs! Tired of storing your data on drives? Store them in my butt, with your lights!

Well there's a mental image I didn't need this morning.

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 11, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crowley posted:

Much to my own surprise we have a full team here today - except the guy who's on morphine for a broken spine.

One PM was looking a bit haggard though, so I poked her a bit and we have a winner. Right now she's sipping coffee and putting a new gaming rig together online.

This is so accurate. My Facebook feed is full of friends upgrading rigs that were last touched for Skyrim. Bethesda releases sell computers hahah.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

This is so accurate. My Facebook feed is full of friends upgrading rigs that were last touched for Skyrim. Bethesda releases sell computers hahah.

For several years, Battlefield was my "Ah crap I need a new computer" marker.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Malek posted:

Well there's a mental image I didn't need this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGrndUKtLw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Same.

Before that it was Halflife 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was planning on upgrading my rig anyway, Fallout 4 is just giving me a decent excuse (Also since I'm apparently the only one of my friends with enough willpower to wait until the steam sale to buy said game)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Monthly reminder to join everyone in #bofh on synirc to talk about WAMP stacks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So are you saying you have buffalo routers?

Sounds like interference on 2.4ghz?

Well, yeah. Everyone flocks to the same channel because of poor automatic channel select algorithms. Part of it is they can't talk to one another, but it also sounds like the neighboring routers have a bad (long) polling interval when checking for congestion or interference. So everyone is on 11, notice bad SNR or co-channel interference during a poll and does a quick scan and notices 1 is underutilized. So they all flock there. Rinse. Repeat.

spog, do yourself a favor and move to 5GHz if your client devices support it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Inspector_666 posted:

Can definitely see that to. In my small-town, most BF/CoD players did the console thing. We definitely sold some systems for that, but hooooly gently caress Skyrim was literally a goldmine for the shop I worked at. We probably put out 100+ gaming rigs solely because of it in about a 2 month period. Which for a place as small as we were was huge.

So many i5-2500k's and GTX560Ti's hahah.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only IT professional in the world who doesn't really care about FO4? I'm not big on crafting, and these days I don't want to spend hours exploring stuff - I wanna play a game, kinda. It's hard to describe.

I'm also That Guy. You know, the one who thinks that FO3 wasn't really all that good of a Fallout game compared to 1 and 2. It's me, I am the goony goon :-(

Co-worker complains of Outlook being slow. I advise him to close/reopen.
He complains it's taking forever to open a menu. I advise him to close/reopen.
He says it's slow switching categories (mail, contacts, etc.). I advise him to close/reopen.
"But isn't it an Exchange issue?!?"

He's the Chief Engineer of the radio station where I now work

I JUST STARTED HERE IN SEPTEMBER, THINGS ARE GOOD, I DON'T WANT TO BE THE NEXT LARCHES
I don't report to the CE and my boss has told me that I can safely disregard any instructions or concerns the CE has

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

Can definitely see that to. In my small-town, most BF/CoD players did the console thing. We definitely sold some systems for that, but hooooly gently caress Skyrim was literally a goldmine for the shop I worked at. We probably put out 100+ gaming rigs solely because of it in about a 2 month period. Which for a place as small as we were was huge.

So many i5-2500k's and GTX560Ti's hahah.

At my old place a middle-aged guy came in to get his gaming rig upgraded to be able to play BF3 and it was one of the very few times I was able to say "I guarantee this proposal will play BF3" because I just bought him all the same parts I had gotten a month earlier :v:

That dude was really cool, not at all who you would expect to be a huge gamer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MJP posted:

Am I the only IT professional in the world who doesn't really care about FO4? I'm not big on crafting, and these days I don't want to spend hours exploring stuff - I wanna play a game, kinda. It's hard to describe.

You are not, nope. Hell, for me the thing I'm looking forward to is the new Diablo III patch. :shobon:

A DMCA just came in. Apparently someone on our network is selling counterfeit... Conair hair dryers. :psyduck:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MJP posted:

I'm also That Guy. You know, the one who thinks that FO3 wasn't really all that good of a Fallout game compared to 1 and 2. It's me, I am the goony goon :-(

Co-worker complains of Outlook being slow. I advise him to close/reopen.
He complains it's taking forever to open a menu. I advise him to close/reopen.
He says it's slow switching categories (mail, contacts, etc.). I advise him to close/reopen.
"But isn't it an Exchange issue?!?"

He's the Chief Engineer of the radio station where I now work

I JUST STARTED HERE IN SEPTEMBER, THINGS ARE GOOD, I DON'T WANT TO BE THE NEXT LARCHES
I don't report to the CE and my boss has told me that I can safely disregard any instructions or concerns the CE has

FO3 and NV were fun games, but they weren't really Fallout games to me and were not as good as the first 2. I'll get 4 eventually, but no real hurry. On the other hand, I'd much rather be home playing Legacy of the Void than in the office today...

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

MJP posted:

Not just you. My pre-kid routine was 1) come home 2) fix dinner for me and wife 3) go to gym, play video games, see a movie, do whatever the gently caress I wanted.

Now it's 1) come home exhausted from bad commute and baby kicking my rear end previous night 2) cook dinner for whole family 3) help daughter with homework 4) do 5 other chores 5) oh hey it's 9PM, maybe I can get in 20 minutes of Metal Gear after the kids go to sleep. No just kidding, do 2 other chores.

So yeah, I find I have less patience for things in games that I would have spent hours on before.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MJP posted:

I liked FO3/NV and I still don't care about FO4 that much. My thing with Bethesda games is always "wait until the DLC and modding community fixes the save-deleting bugs and makes the game actually fun to play", so in the meantime it's LotV.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

What the loving gently caress?

Is there a story behind this?

(EDIT) Let me guess, last game it played was "Spore"? :rimshot:

Malek fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 11, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

For a second I seriously thought I was in TCC...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MJP posted:

Nah, I agree (to some point). I loved the originals. Wasteland 2 was an okay replacement, but not the same. Vegas was lightyears better than FO3 in my opinion, but I've got a soft-spot for Fallout's specific brand of cheesiness. But I haven't played much lately other than a bit of hearthstone in the last 6 months because most games are poo poo :/

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That came from here: imgur.com/gallery/CYdAO

There are several things that point to it being fake or staged. The orientationof the card, the auspices of how it was found, etc. The top comment says it's psilocybin but I'm pretty sure it's just a joke. I don't know anything about mushroom growing so I have no idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Once I saw the actual computer this "supposedly" came from, I knew it was staged.

Then I saw this

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Not just you. My pre-kid routine was 1) come home 2) fix dinner for me and wife 3) go to gym, play video games, see a movie, do whatever the gently caress I wanted.

Now it's 1) come home exhausted from bad commute and baby kicking my rear end previous night 2) cook dinner for whole family 3) help daughter with homework 4) do 5 other chores 5) oh hey it's 9PM, maybe I can get in 20 minutes of Metal Gear after the kids go to sleep. No just kidding, do 2 other chores.

So yeah, I find I have less patience for things in games that I would have spent hours on before.

I am in a similar situation I would love to play fallout 4 but two very young children and a full time job make that a non starter for now. I guess I will do what I did with 3 and NV. Wait for the ultimate edition with all DLC and bugs fixed then buy it when it is on a steam sale for 5 bucks. I still haven't actually played New Vegas yet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Lynxifer posted:

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

Yeah this is exactly it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lynxifer posted:

Thanks! Looks like a strong case for the culprit.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The one where you have to use your own devices, but can't ever use your own devices. Also, more "no you shut up dad":

CE has a strict policy of employees never using their our equipment to do personal stuff, such as working on portfolios, demo reels, resumes, etc... He insists on them using their own computers and transferring footage to personal external hard drives to edit footage at home. Except, no one is allowed to connect an external drive to any computer on the premises, going so far as to disable the USB ports on all computers. If he ever sees a resume or portfolio or demo reel he deletes it and laughs about it later.

So, him being an rear end in a top hat basically means no one can ever leave this place because they can't edit their portfolios here, but cannot transport the footage outside of the building to edit it at home or store the footage on premises.

That's an aside to the actual story, it's just another example of him being an actual Disney villain.

The real story is that Sports has been requesting a new laptop for months now, since we're in the middle of our huge annual football season. No laptop has ever surfaced, so they have to use their own personal computers to edit footage onsite when they travel out of town. One of the sports guys brought me his computer because it wouldn't boot. This puts me in a predicament because I'm not allowed to fix people's personal devices during work hours, but he'll be using it for work purposes with the News Director's blessing.

I've got nothing better going on, so I decide to look at it. I suspect it's a faulty power supply. It doesn't do anything when you push the power button. I tried shorting the power on pins manually and got nothing. Also, the MB and PSU lights pulse like the power flow is wonky. Anyways, I'm searching around Hoardville for a spare power supply to get them going tonight when CE walks in and asks what I'm doing.

:v: Looking at a computer.
:downs: Whose computer is it?
:v: Sports.
:downs: That's not one of ours.
:v: Nope.
:downs: Then why are you looking at it.
:v: They'll be using it for sports coverage out of town the next few days.
:downs: No, we don't do that.
:v: I do.
:downs: No, we aren't getting in the habit of looking at people's personal devices.
:v: We are for the next week and a half.
:downs: You've got more important things to be doing.
:v: Like?
:downs: What about the studio belt packs not working?
:v: That is in no way my problem at this point. That is strictly an engineering issue that has been brought to you personally multiple times for over six months now. I've given you my diagnosis and you've refused to acknowledge it, which leads me to believe I'm actually right but you have no way of fixing the problem without admitting it so you're just going to ignore it. Go harass some more city workers or something, I'm busy.

This led to a staring match that seemed to last for days. Probably not the smartest thing I've done, considering we were deep in the bowels of a Hoarders version of Moria and a mentally unstable man stood between me and the only exit. He eventually muttered something about other peoples devices and stomped off.

Literally eight minutes later he was trying to joke with me about two women having lesbian sex because they were walking down the street together?

It's definitely Aspergers.

P.S. The Systems Administrator job I applied for fell through :smith:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

:(

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: That is in no way my problem at this point. That is strictly an engineering issue that has been brought to you personally multiple times for over six months now. I've given you my diagnosis and you've refused to acknowledge it, which leads me to believe I'm actually right but you have no way of fixing the problem without admitting it so you're just going to ignore it. Go harass some more city workers or something, I'm busy.
Good for you!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In TYOL2015 how have people not figured out conference bridges.

A client called me with a question and then proceeded to put me on speaker so that they could call someone on another phone and then put that phone on speaker. So I had a dude sounding like he was underwater trying to ask me something.

Christ. All because they couldn't figure out how to NetBoot.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 11, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

Larch, know that somewhere on the internet, there is a guy (me) mentally making you his hero.

larchesdanrew posted:

Well that sucks, though. So you still have submitted your two weeks but now have nothing lined up?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

larchesdanrew posted:

Are you still quitting though?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

pr0digal posted:

I don't know how they work because I just use google hangouts for everything

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

pr0digal posted:

A client called me with a question and then proceeded to put me on speaker so that they could call someone on another phone and then put that phone on speaker. So I had a dude sounding like he was underwater trying to ask me something.

Christ. All because they couldn't figure out how to NetBoot.

This happens to me at least twice a week. I even volunteer to call them and use our conference bridge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Fuuuuuuuu....

What's the plan now?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Fuuuuuuuu....

What's the plan now?

A lot of prayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Giving notice without another job lined up 110% with signed contracts and everything isn't a very smart move.

• Locked thread