Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

New Leaf posted:

Two things. First, I found a minor Easter Egg in the form of wooden blocks spelling "GARY" and a teddy bear in the back of a trailer.

Did Bethesda just drop a Gary Glitter joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

It's cool that they're trying to stay in-universe with the weapon mods by making them look cobbled together. That said, I'd much rather have an actual reflex sight on my pistol then two nails stuck in a ring of metal :(

They do look proper on most guns. Are you using a Pipe gun? Because those are are lovely hand-built things.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

pmchem posted:

FO4 is getting a metacritic user score of 4.7:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4

Has this been to discussed to death somewhere on a prior page yet?

Gamers... Gamers never change.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hemale in pain posted:

The male voice acting is just so goddamn bad. it's a mix of bad writing and poor line delivery but he feels like a complete bitch all the time.

Seriously the sooner I get a "silent text protagonist" mod the better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only real things I wish to dock this game points over is the horrific UI (arrows for selecting dialog option, really?) and overall plot.

I actually enjoyed playing the opening, more than I thought I would, though I feel like the story would be more interesting if I didn't see my husband get shot in the head. The game also seems to glide a bit along when you can roleplay a hysterical mother. So far they aren't really pushing any urgency, but I expect that would change if I went to Diamond city.

For now though, I feel like just taking it in pace. The graphics certainly aren't bad on PC unlike all that preview footage we saw last week. Aside from the occasional LOD textures not unloading, I think it's fairly bug-free. I do hope there will some mods to the controls as well though.

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously the sooner I get a "silent text protagonist" mod the better.

Use on your own risk (there is that nasty bug with the subtitles not loading)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/103/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

It's cool that they're trying to stay in-universe with the weapon mods by making them look cobbled together. That said, I'd much rather have an actual reflex sight on my pistol then two nails stuck in a ring of metal :(

You get those later on, but they require gun nut or science or both. The game has a ton of mods which is really cool.
Low tech weapons have cobbled-together mods and then high-end mods. Fancy weapons like laser weapons will only have the high-end mods.

Proper holo sights will require more than just nuclear material and metal, they require actual circuits and glass and copper and poo poo. As they should.

I was also surprised expecting a holo sight, but honestly the glowing nails are pretty loving metal. The normal nails aren't a great sight but the glowing ones work pretty great as a poor man's holo sight, the green really glows and helps you focus on the target and ignore the otherwise useless metal scope :haw:

Lima posted:

Gamers... Gamers never change.

Beat you to that joke!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

A couple pictures got posted before the game came out that made it look far worse than it is.

Then it was just a matter of snowballing idiocy as the many, many people on the internet who are incapable of creating their own opinions jumped on the bandwagon.

I honestly feel bad for Bethesda. Sure, Fallout 4 has its issues but this feels like a witch hunt.

actually the real blowback only started when the streams did. it's a cool game that I'm having lots of fun with but the issues are mega real and any other developer would be crucified for them. Beth have had it easy for three games now, it's crazy to 'feel bad' for a company because they're seeing justified criticism of a game that will sell millions of copies.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the dialogue options can be picked with 1-4 and the settler UI can be navigated with shift + WASD. why the game doesn't tell you any of this and displays the arrow keys instead is loving bethesda as hell

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Son of Rodney posted:

Game still ownes, have played most of my free time away since release. I am still so sad about the crippled rpg elements tho, having speech/intelligence/science etc. checks was fun, as was just generally lying to people sometimes. The dialogue wheel is dumb as gently caress, "where were you" should not translate into "why wherent you there you coward" (not actual text, but stuff like this happens all the time)

this is the one thing I hope mods fix in a while

I have explicitly lied to people twice so far (passed persuasion checks) and have only played for about 10 hours. I really hate the new dialogue system and skill system (or lack thereof) but so far I am enjoying the game.

Except for the sarcasm options. Sarcasm option should be replaced with "Cringey poo poo a 13 year old would say" on the radial wheel. Maybe a mod will take care of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordaedil posted:

The only real things I wish to dock this game points over is the horrific UI (arrows for selecting dialog option, really?) and overall plot.

I actually enjoyed playing the opening, more than I thought I would, though I feel like the story would be more interesting if I didn't see my husband get shot in the head. The game also seems to glide a bit along when you can roleplay a hysterical mother. So far they aren't really pushing any urgency, but I expect that would change if I went to Diamond city.

For now though, I feel like just taking it in pace. The graphics certainly aren't bad on PC unlike all that preview footage we saw last week. Aside from the occasional LOD textures not unloading, I think it's fairly bug-free. I do hope there will some mods to the controls as well though.

I think it's an okay starter because you get re-frozen before actually waking up to escape. It means they've been gone a while (how long? who knows? :shrug:) and means you have some breathing room to search because the trail's cold and the kidnappers could be anywhere. If you just escaped right after they hosed off with your baby and brained your significant other, then it would feel more like you absolutely had to chase the main plot right then and there or you could lose them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

About the flooded quarry, is there something other than time that I need to get it to drain? I did the quest what must be a week ago ingame and it's not shifting

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The crippled dialogue system just bothers me so drat hard after playing New Vegas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Walrus posted:

actually the real blowback only started when the streams did. it's a cool game that I'm having lots of fun with but the issues are mega real and any other developer would be crucified for them. Beth have had it easy for three games now, it's crazy to 'feel bad' for a company because they're seeing justified criticism of a game that will sell millions of copies.

There's a difference between justified criticism of an admittedly glitchy game (although playing on PC I've run into very few myself) and hordes of retards giving it 0/10 on metacritic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They do look proper on most guns. Are you using a Pipe gun? Because those are are lovely hand-built things.

Yeah I'm using the bolt action pistol because I'm a sucker for bolt action guns :)

I'll have to keep an eye out for some of the more legit guns though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

A couple pictures got posted before the game came out that made it look far worse than it is.

Then it was just a matter of snowballing idiocy as the many, many people on the internet who are incapable of creating their own opinions jumped on the bandwagon.

I honestly feel bad for Bethesda. Sure, Fallout 4 has its issues but this feels like a witch hunt.

Literally every game released this year has gotten poo poo tons of gamer hate just because. People are just mad :v:

Halo 5, CODBOPS3, Fallout 4, Battlefront,

Each game has its flaws but I've had fun with each one and yet some people think its just WRONG that anybody would dare play one of those games!

The Walrus posted:

On the other hand though Beth games are way more ambitious than most games. Most games don't have nearly the scope that fallout or skyrim do. It makes it significantly easier to get bug-free when you're just walking down narrow corridors the whole game.

Meanwhile the Halo Master Chief Collection was unplayable dogshit for literally 8 months before they patched it into shape, and that's a FPS! AND A REMAKE.

So I dunno about the "any other developer would be crucified" thing. :v: Its just the game industry in 2015 now, release games in beta state and patch them after you get paid.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Never mind, figured it out

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Zaphod42 posted:

Literally every game released this year has gotten poo poo tons of gamer hate just because. People are just mad :v:

Halo 5, CODBOPS3, Fallout 4, Battlefront,

Each game has its flaws but I've had fun with each one and yet some people think its just WRONG that anybody would dare play one of those games!

Not really, people loved Witcher 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

the dialogue options can be picked with 1-4 and the settler UI can be navigated with shift + WASD. why the game doesn't tell you any of this and displays the arrow keys instead is loving bethesda as hell

Absolutely zero consideration is given to PC when designing the UI and they just tack it on later even if it doesn't seem totally sensible.

Even though this is a bethesda game and PC should be the main platform :v: But its not, it was designed for Xbone first (which runs the worst :lol:)

Kainser posted:

The witcher series has been too obscure up till now to garner massive hate. Witcher 4 will get all kinds of QQing though that "they didn't do _____ like in 3" :v:

That said Witcher 3 is pretty great. And is also pretty huge in scope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

There's a difference between justified criticism of an admittedly glitchy game (although playing on PC I've run into very few myself) and hordes of retards giving it 0/10 on metacritic.

Yeah I'm using the bolt action pistol because I'm a sucker for bolt action guns :)

I'll have to keep an eye out for some of the more legit guns though.

Just get yourself a .308 Hunting Rifle and you're set for most of the game (they're pretty drat common too). I love that drat gun :allears:.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's an okay starter because you get re-frozen before actually waking up to escape. It means they've been gone a while (how long? who knows? :shrug:) and means you have some breathing room to search because the trail's cold and the kidnappers could be anywhere. If you just escaped right after they hosed off with your baby and brained your significant other, then it would feel more like you absolutely had to chase the main plot right then and there or you could lose them.

I don't mind it too much, I just think it'd be a neat little extra mystery at the beginning, where you unfreeze, then unfreeze your husband and see him shot and no Shaun, then you discover maybe some security footage where you see what happened later in the vault.

I just think it'd add a little agency back to the player and it wouldn't change anything around too much. Alas, once you know, it's kind of old hat and it's not really enough of an idea to bother with for a mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordaedil posted:

I don't mind it too much, I just think it'd be a neat little extra mystery at the beginning, where you unfreeze, then unfreeze your husband and see him shot and no Shaun, then you discover maybe some security footage where you see what happened later in the vault.

I just think it'd add a little agency back to the player and it wouldn't change anything around too much. Alas, once you know, it's kind of old hat and it's not really enough of an idea to bother with for a mod.

Ah, I get what you mean. Yeah, that'd definitely be a good alternative way to do it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hemale in pain posted:

The male voice acting is just so goddamn bad. it's a mix of bad writing and poor line delivery but he feels like a complete bitch all the time.

Is the female any better? I'm seriously tempted to reroll because his delivery is so flat.

Also apparently you can get your settlers to produce purified water? How?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

After 4 hours or so my only complaints about the game are the dialogue system is hosed and annoying, and that loving codsworth runs directly at every single enemy and loving kills them in 1 hit, giving me no xp. Do the companions ever not get in the way? Also where the gently caress did my dog go, I can't find him in sanctuary.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone have the list of recognized names sorted by Male/Female/Joke?

Also if you put in a first and last name, does Codsworth say both or just the first name?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, maybe I'll reroll as a "no VATS, sneak attack sniper" for Survival difficulty: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=66!!724518b953331c995331!2d5443

I'm assuming not using VATS means I can skip Perception since I can still scope-aim everything, only take luck to 5-ish since I can ignore the higher-luck VAT perks (does Better Crits apply to Sneak Head-Shots?), Idiot Savant seems like a good way to skip out on INT, no CHA since the dog steals XP (and fucks with my steal attempts) so I'll go it alone.

Am I min/maxing right?

I am so, so glad I reverted to my Leaving the Vault save and rerolled this build for Survival difficulty. Melee was loving worthless, and this non-VATS build even with 2 Perception still lets me duck into stealth mode and annihilate people's heads from across the map. Funny enough I can still use VATS effectively if anyone ever manages to rush me, because at point-blank all my VATS shots still hit and with 9 Endurance/Agility I can still tank or sprint away to survive. AGI is great because I can sprint pretty much forever and AP is used for holding your breath when scoped too. Idiot Savant triggers like a third of the time at 1 INT.

I don't suppose there's any way to get silencers on sniper rifles without Gun Nut? Can I at least come across silenced rifles with some frequency?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is the female any better? I'm seriously tempted to reroll because his delivery is so flat.

You should have learned from Mass Effect, female is best. Coincidentally, the female in this game is voiced by the actress who did Jack in Mass Effect 2/3. She's as good as she can be with the retard script.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

On launch night we all had a gigantic discussion of the ending you missed, but yeah the skinny is that most of us think the intro was fun (very half-life) but shooting your forced spouse in the head 5 minutes into the game was a huge misstep. The main plot feels way too urgent and also contrived as gently caress. Why did you wake up? Why did everybody else die but you? Did somebody explicitly wake you up just to shoot your wife in the head so you'd be mad? It makes no drat sense. Oh well. Rest of the game is cool.

Just play an rear end in a top hat and assume your son is dead and give up on him and the game is more fun.

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah that's a decent idea. Another goon said it'd be cool if you just woke up and your wife and son were both missing, no explanation. That'd be more mysterious at least. But I'd rather they just had you go into cryo by yourself, no wife, no son. Then have some quest where you find a wife in the wasteland if Bethesda really wants to go down that route, but let it be optional.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

The witcher series has been too obscure up till now to garner massive hate. Witcher 4 will get all kinds of QQing though that "they didn't do _____ like in 3" :v:

If you straight up remove poo poo that people like, you kind of deserve it.

To put it simpler: If you're making an aspect of the game more like dragon age 2, you're doing it wrong.

5/10 would get refund again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kainser posted:

Generally the more obscure a franchise (and while W3 isn't obscure it wasn't a Goliath, it wasn't even available outside of PC until the XB port) the less likely you are to get giant review bombing unless it's a super-obscure franchise pandering to a very specific fanbase.

It's pretty hilarious honestly. If you're Big AAA TItle it's gonna happen. If you're absurd niche JRPG that treats a waifu wrong it's gonna happen. Once people realized that review bombing work it became the default go-to.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Ok, so I bought this game last night having never played any of the previous Fallout games, any advice for a total novice to the series?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also if you put in a first and last name, does Codsworth say both or just the first name?

Someone linked this earlier in the thread, it seems to be on point for me.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=740870010D8F2498!15785&ithint=file%2cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!ADRTmSSDlm5Snhs

Codsworth will occasionally pick one or the other name. He doesn't mix, but he sometimes uses last name and sometimes first, depending.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Just one name, not both.

Zero VGS posted:

I am so, so glad I reverted to my Leaving the Vault save and rerolled this build for Survival difficulty. Melee was loving worthless

Still can't wrap my head around why soooo many goons are rolling melee first. This is an apocalyptic game guys, use some guns already.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

blackshreds posted:

Ok, so I bought this game last night having never played any of the previous Fallout games, any advice for a total novice to the series?

Wait until you finish the game before playing new vegas

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What weapons do radiation damage?

A certain faction really, really likes them. You'll know when you meet them.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also apparently you can get your settlers to produce purified water? How?

Just produce more water than the settlement needs and some will be dumped into the bases inventory. Or just talk to Cogsworth, he gives you free bottles now and then.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 11, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

For what it's worth the only bug I've found is the 144hz terminal bug where you get locked. Until it's fixed I just quicksave before I use one which takes half a second and I haven't had it happen since Concord. General performance issues aside (not everyone has a new PC) I don't get how this is unplayable/buggy to the point of being unplayable. The game owns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackshreds posted:

Save constantly. That's all. Just run around and have fun and explore and try new things, but SAVE CONSTANTLY.

If you go more than 2 minutes without saving you're asking to get killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Still can't wrap my head around why soooo many goons are rolling melee first. This is an apocalyptic game guys, use some guns already.

Let me tell you about a franchise known as Fist of the North Star.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zaphod42 posted:

The melee mods look awesome. Double hook wrench coming at you.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Kainser posted:

The crippled dialogue system just bothers me so drat hard after playing New Vegas.

You shouldn't worry, I have been given assurances from several people in this very thread that the dialogue system in Fallout 4 is really pretty much like the previous games in the series.

No, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leinadi posted:

You shouldn't worry, I have been given assurances from several people in this very thread that the dialogue system in Fallout 4 is really pretty much like the previous games in the series.

No, really.

The dialogue system has no excuse for being as crippled as it was. Even with 4 options you still should have had dialogue choices based off your skills. This is something the game already supports. They just... didn't do it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Let me tell you about a franchise known as Fist of the North Star.

No option to give yourself seven scars on chest. 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh, the one other bug I've had other than NPCs repeating dialogue, whoever said that sometimes when you VATS an enemy teleports right next to you... yeah that is totally a thing.

Its pretty hosed up.

Fans posted:

The melee mods look awesome. Double hook wrench coming at you.

Yeah admittedly having a blacksmithing skill and another skill that lets you like, move greater distances to melee does make it sound like melee is at least viable.

You can turn a tire iron into a loving battle axe using blacksmithing which seems pretty hardcore.

But seriously use some guns, they're guns. You can shoot people while not being near them.

• Locked thread