Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why would you talk to people when there are bases and rifles to be built and Wonderglue to not find enough of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh my god there's not enough adhesive int he world.

I'm actually caps and ammo starved at level 15 because I have bad aim/VATS isn't as overpowered as FO3/I specced wrong

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there some kind of indicator for when you can do companion quests? Is it just a matter of spending enough time with them or do you need to trigger it by visiting a specific location?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How would you even deal with those mutants if you're melee?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackshreds posted:

Ok, so I bought this game last night having never played any of the previous Fallout games, any advice for a total novice to the series?

Shoot things and stuff duct tape and tin cans into your pockets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some kind of indicator for when you can do companion quests? Is it just a matter of spending enough time with them or do you need to trigger it by visiting a specific location?

They will go "Hey, Bro, I need to talk to you" to trigger it. You can also talk to them and if they are prepped for it they'll give you the dialogue.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's a decent idea. Another goon said it'd be cool if you just woke up and your wife and son were both missing, no explanation. That'd be more mysterious at least. But I'd rather they just had you go into cryo by yourself, no wife, no son. Then have some quest where you find a wife in the wasteland if Bethesda really wants to go down that route, but let it be optional.

I think it should be fairly easy once the mod community has more time to make something similar to the "Live another life" in Skyrim where you just wake up in a vault with no real explanation and the main story is locked out so you can avoid having everyone ask about why you are doing stuff. I'm looking forward to it if someone can pull it off.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaphod42 posted:

Just one name, not both.

Still can't wrap my head around why soooo many goons are rolling melee first. This is an apocalyptic game guys, use some guns already.

Melee actually owns when you get some good armor and some points into the "melee attacks have a chance to disarm" skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

projecthalaxy posted:

Why would you talk to people when there are bases and rifles to be built and Wonderglue to not find enough of.

Hahaha its so funny doing a quest where I go through an area with an NPC and every 10 meters he has to stop and wait for me because I'm busy rifling through boxes for ammo and duct tape.

"Hey... hold up a second I think I see a roll of duct tape over here, I really need this poo poo"

Like I know we're in the middle of a major assault and all but uh... gotta get that adhesive.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am just happy bethesda is branching out to the horrible UI market and the tied game speed to FPS market that asian developers have had a monopoly on for years.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah I don't get the bad reviews either. I expected Skyrim with Guns and that's what we got. I mean, sure the RPG elements are dumbed down but it's nice to now be able to pick up a laser gun and be effective with it instead of it doing piddly damage because I decided to dump all my points into Bang Bang instead of Pew Pew.

Maybe the negative reviews are coming from RPG fans?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Save constantly. That's all. Just run around and have fun and explore and try new things, but SAVE CONSTANTLY.

If you go more than 2 minutes without saving you're asking to get killed.

Why this isn't SOP for computer game players, regardless of game, I'll never figure out. Always be saving.

:cry: "I failed a speech check with my love interest!" :cry: Why don't you have a save before that convo, even if you're blind to what's coming up?

:qq: "I got stuck in a chair after using a terminal!" :qq: Load the save before you used it, you do have one, right?

:cry: "Because of this, I had to load a save six hours of progress ago!" :qq: Why don't you have saves since then?

If your X-COM facility needs to spend money on ink to write names on its memorial wall, you're doing it wrong. Always be saving.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 11, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Still can't wrap my head around why soooo many goons are rolling melee first. This is an apocalyptic game guys, use some guns already.

Melee was great in Fallout 1/2, dat super sledge.

I don't know if you ever played as Zer0 in Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but FPS melee can be incredibly fun if designed competently and given enough damage. Bethesda though, they put in like one swing animation and as far as I could see, way less damage potential. At least do some kind of kung-fu unarmed flurry. Fallout 2 had VATS-targeted Snap Kick to the groin at least.

Broken Cog posted:

Melee actually owns when you get some good armor and some points into the "melee attacks have a chance to disarm" skill.

Maybe, but I'm a sperg about always playing on the hardest difficulty offered, and even power armor won't let me survive going toe-to-toe with much of anything.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xanif posted:

I think it should be fairly easy once the mod community has more time to make something similar to the "Live another life" in Skyrim where you just wake up in a vault with no real explanation and the main story is locked out so you can avoid having everyone ask about why you are doing stuff. I'm looking forward to it if someone can pull it off.

Yeah the Another Start mod was one of my favorite mods in Skyrim. Let me just spawn as a banker in the middle of Solitude or a pickpocket on the streets of Riften, and then just let me go off and have my adventures. I don't always need to spawn and be about to have my head cut off but then the dragon shows up... okay yeah I already did the main quest once, I don't care...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How are people finding unarmed/melee in this game? I've played that way in 3 and NV and enjoyed it. So far it feels a little underpowered but I only have the barest or perks in them yet. But I might also make sure I can use guns well as a backup.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found the luck bobblehead. It's on the island in the south-eastern area of the map. On the south end of the island there is a stranded ship, the bobblehead is in a locker in the captain's cabin. I would also recommend not to pull the lever in the room on the main deck.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How are people finding unarmed/melee in this game? I've played that way in 3 and NV and enjoyed it. So far it feels a little underpowered but I only have the barest or perks in them yet. But I might also make sure I can use guns well as a backup.
It's honestly pretty good, but it takes some time to get going. you need a decent weapon, decent armor, and 2-3 points into the melee weapon damage + disarm perk. I'm playing on survival, and the beginning was rough, but now I can take on Super Mutants in melee pretty easily.

Also, the slow melee weapons seem kinda bad, you want the medium speed ones at the very least.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the password is GOONS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Melee was great in Fallout 1/2, dat super sledge.

I don't know if you ever played as Zer0 in Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but FPS melee can be incredibly fun if designed competently and given enough damage. Bethesda though, they put in like one swing animation and as far as I could see, way less damage potential. At least do some kind of kung-fu unarmed flurry. Fallout 2 had VATS-targeted Snap Kick to the groin at least.

Yeah I played some melee in Skyrim so... I'm good on Bethesda melee. Its just such an awkward affair, you and your opponent just kinda wave things back and forth until one of you falls down.

Magic/Guns is the way to go :thumbsup:

There's been like literally 30 goons posting "okay why did I put all my points in melee first, melee sucks balls, re-rolling my character now :argh: " sooooooo

That said it seems with the right perks and equipment it can be okay so YMMV.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't realize there were first and last names but they didn't have my real last name and Codsworth calls me "Mister Colin" which I like

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

Maybe the negative reviews are coming from RPG fans?

"wth! I thought i would buy an RPG not a SHOOTER? Are you kidding me? Words cant really even describe my disappointment atm"
71 of 91 users found this helpful

Also, I'm super glad that the game is just Skyrim with guns because I'm one of the people who wanted more Bethesda Game™ and not.. whatever they said the game was going to be :3:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I played some melee in Skyrim so... I'm good on Bethesda melee. Its just such an awkward affair, you and your opponent just kinda wave things back and forth until one of you falls down.

Magic/Guns is the way to go :thumbsup:

Stealth bow/sniper is the only way :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

FO4 is getting a metacritic user score of 4.7:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4

Has this been to discussed to death somewhere on a prior page yet?

my favorite of these was mass effect 3, which was even worse (in the realm of 3.0) almost entirely due to the last 15 minutes of the story, despite the other 50 hours of the game or whatever playing and being written exactly like the near-universally acclaimed mass effect 2

THE ENDS ARE BAD

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Is there an option somewhere to change the text colours? Colour-blindness is a bitch, and I can't distinguish yellow from yellow-green for dialogue choices.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Lakbay posted:

Oh my god there's not enough adhesive int he world.

I'm actually caps and ammo starved at level 15 because I have bad aim/VATS isn't as overpowered as FO3/I specced wrong

Apparently vegetable starch in the cooking menu works as glue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Axelgear posted:

Is there an option somewhere to change the text colours? Colour-blindness is a bitch, and I can't distinguish yellow from yellow-green for dialogue choices.

Right in the Display options.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh yeah, and melee is absolutely awful against giant bosses like Super Mutant giants and stuff. Carry some heavy firepower or a ton of molotovs/Frag grenades for those.

Humanoid bosses are pretty easy to stunlock with a fast enough weapon though. Haven't had any trouble with any of those for a long time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It's fun to liquidate guys in one swing

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This rules.

Axelgear posted:

I changed my UI settings and that didn't seem to affect the colors of persuade checks, sorry man. :sigh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fans posted:

Just produce more water than the settlement needs and some will be dumped into the bases inventory. Or just talk to Cogsworth, he gives you free bottles now and then.

What's the bases inventory? Is that the Workshop?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I might go for a balance between melee and guns, if all that is the case. I like melee, but I don't want to completely sink myself if it turns out not to be great.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been like literally 30 goons posting "okay why did I put all my points in melee first, melee sucks balls, re-rolling my character now :argh: " sooooooo

That said it seems with the right perks and equipment it can be okay so YMMV.

Melee's actually pretty okay for me, but my mistake was trying to combine it with stealth. But I switched to stealth/pistols, and I am really enjoying it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

my favorite of these was mass effect 3, which was even worse (in the realm of 3.0) almost entirely due to the last 15 minutes of the story, despite the other 50 hours of the game or whatever playing and being written exactly like the near-universally acclaimed mass effect 2

THE ENDS ARE BAD

Mass Effect 3 sucked and I didn't even get close to the ending before giving up. I loved ME2.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Do junk fences not stick to each other like shack walls do? I've been trying to build my fancy fort and the tiny purely cosmetic gaps are bothersome.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I generally like fallout and am fine with the story. But one thing that's bothered me about the games is why nobody can figure out how to make a decent house that wasn't constructed in the prewar era. I mean it makes sense that you'd have to scavenge for stuff in a desert wasteland. But you're telling me in nobody in the old I-95 corridor with massive amounts of trees everywhere can't figure out how to build a nice log cabin or something?

EDIT: This is what loving around in the build mode too long does to me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I might go for a balance between melee and guns, if all that is the case. I like melee, but I don't want to completely sink myself if it turns out not to be great.

Go heavy into strength and carry a Modded out Minigun or something as backup. You get more than enough skill points to spread things out a little.

I'd recommend focusing on either melee or unarmed though, and not split the points between them.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

In Fallout 3, I was able to join that evil group in the beginning, unlock a sweet room in their tower, and nuke a town. I later became a slaver and was able to sell children into slavery. Is there a group like this that I can join in Fallout 4? Anyone know where to find them?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Doctor Goat posted:

Apparently vegetable starch in the cooking menu works as glue.

HUGE IF TRUE

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mordaedil posted:

Someone linked this earlier in the thread, it seems to be on point for me.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=740870010D8F2498!15785&ithint=file%2cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!ADRTmSSDlm5Snhs

Codsworth will occasionally pick one or the other name. He doesn't mix, but he sometimes uses last name and sometimes first, depending.

Thanks.

Also, what's a good character creation stealth/sniper build, assuming you collect the bobbles/SPECIAL magazines?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anyone else having an issue where the lockpicking minigame is invisible?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Tr33 posted:

I generally like fallout and am fine with the story. But one thing that's bothered me about the games is why nobody can figure out how to make a decent house that wasn't constructed in the prewar era. I mean it makes sense that you'd have to scavenge for stuff in a desert wasteland. But you're telling me in nobody in the old I-95 corridor with massive amounts of trees everywhere can't figure out how to build a nice log cabin or something?

The #1 feature I want is the ability to fix up the houses in Sanctuary/make glass windows with all that glass I'm stockpiling, etc. So that they would actually provide decent shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

Mass Effect 3 sucked and I didn't even get close to the ending before giving up. I loved ME2.

Yet the review scores are eerily similar.

• Locked thread