Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arzachel posted:

Holy gently caress Bethseda, how do you even make an UI this bad

No loving poo poo. I'm not sure what's worse, having to take my hand off ESDF and use the arrow keys for dialogue, or the fact that tab usually backs you up one level in menus, except at workbenches, where if you're at the root level enter exits the menu and tab keeps you in it, or the fact that the Controls menu doesn't actually let you redefine all the hotkeys. R-enter to scrap poo poo is also annoying as hell.

You have to *work extra hard* to make an interface that bad.

Is there a mod that lets you fix all that stupid poo poo yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

If your X-COM facility needs to spend money on ink to write names on its memorial wall, you're doing it wrong. Always be saving.

Ugh, you are the worst.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Day Man posted:

In Fallout 3, I was able to join that evil group in the beginning, unlock a sweet room in their tower, and nuke a town. I later became a slaver and was able to sell children into slavery. Is there a group like this that I can join in Fallout 4? Anyone know where to find them?

Some goon mentioned like 10 pages ago he did find an evil baby eating cult or something. No clue where.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

No loving poo poo. I'm not sure what's worse, having to take my hand off ESDF and use the arrow keys for dialogue, or the fact that tab usually backs you up one level in menus, except at workbenches, where if you're at the root level enter exits the menu and tab keeps you in it, or the fact that the Controls menu doesn't actually let you redefine all the hotkeys. R-enter to scrap poo poo is also annoying as hell.

Not to mention that if you're in construction mode TAB doesn't quit but instead like sells or packs up the item you're currently looking at.

:psyduck: what in the gently caress Bethesda...

At least on PC you can actually just click on things most of the time, it doesn't tell you but you don't need to use the key. Like instead of R-enter you can just click on "scrap" and then click on "enter".

Also lots of stuff tells you to use one key but another key will do the same too because reasons :v:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

Did Bethesda just drop a Gary Glitter joke?

No it's a reference to the loving epic as balls and poo poo Gary Vault from Best GAme Of All Time Fallout 3... A bunch of win clones that say "Gary"??? Take my money :drool:

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention that if you're in construction mode TAB doesn't quit but instead like sells or packs up the item you're currently looking at.

:psyduck: what in the gently caress Bethesda...

Yah that ones annoying as hell. Get into the habit of using down arrow key instead of tab to exit a category for the build menu.

I myself was a victim of tab in the build menu for many many hours.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So is anyone rolling a gunslinger style character? If so how did you build the special for it and all?

Just looking for some ideas.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It does! Three each of Corn, Mutfruit, and Tato, one water equals 5 adhesive.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Yet the review scores are eerily similar.

yes and ign rated fallout 4 the same as ocarina of time and noted Perfect Game THPS 3

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tr33 posted:

I generally like fallout and am fine with the story. But one thing that's bothered me about the games is why nobody can figure out how to make a decent house that wasn't constructed in the prewar era. I mean it makes sense that you'd have to scavenge for stuff in a desert wasteland. But you're telling me in nobody in the old I-95 corridor with massive amounts of trees everywhere can't figure out how to build a nice log cabin or something?

EDIT: This is what loving around in the build mode too long does to me.

I've always assumed anyone not living in the big cities is pretty much scavenging for food/survival. You don't build a log cabin when you are beating someone to death for some 200 year old mac n cheese. Basically 80% of the people are in a hunter gatherer lifestyle. I'd expect to see tents and bedrolls before a log cabin.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Meh, I'll just roll with this as my starter and then go from there:

STRENGTH - 3

PERCEPTION - 8

ENDURANCE - 3

CHARISMA - 1

INTELIGENCE - 3

AGILITY - 7

LUCK - 3

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How prevalent are laser weapons? I assume at some point I'll be tripping over mountains of them, but I haven't seen any yet.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Does Pickpocket also increase my lockpicking?

Do I need to keep things like Grognak the Barbarian and Lazer Command in my inventory for their bonuses?

Protons fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 11, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How are people finding unarmed/melee in this game? I've played that way in 3 and NV and enjoyed it. So far it feels a little underpowered but I only have the barest or perks in them yet. But I might also make sure I can use guns well as a backup.

You can use guns well without any points in Perception or anything at all. You can aim without vats and always hit where you point, or use VATs within melee range if you have something like a mini-gun and want to dump a ton of damage into something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Protons posted:

Does Pickpocket also increase my lockpicking?

Why would it do that?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a settlement with a big diversity of crafting stations? I'm not spec'd into local leader 2 for my first character.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I was expecting the pip-boy that comes in the special edition to be a piece of cheap crap, but not this bad. I pressed the top button and it got wedged in the case. When I unscrewed part of it to prop it back up, half the screws holding it in stripped their threading. Also I swear that button had a spring behind it but there's nothing and it doesn't push in at all anymore.

Oh Bethesda :allears:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

Why would it do that?

Because it shows the guy picking a lock and a pocket, and I can't find anything that boosts lockpicking.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've always assumed anyone not living in the big cities is pretty much scavenging for food/survival. You don't build a log cabin when you are beating someone to death for some 200 year old mac n cheese. Basically 80% of the people are in a hunter gatherer lifestyle. I'd expect to see tents and bedrolls before a log cabin.

Yeah, fine. Except were literally building settlements here with waterpumps and gardens. You'd think somebody would take the time to learn to build a roof without holes in it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

How prevalent are laser weapons? I assume at some point I'll be tripping over mountains of them, but I haven't seen any yet.

Do the first set of BoS missions and you'll be carrying them around by the bushel load, and you'll get a legendary one at the end.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Phanatic posted:

"E" works anytime the game says 'Enter". So you can R->E through a bunch of scrap in your bases real quick, or E out of workshops or whatever

Edit: That said the controls are still a loving travesty

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Stanley Pain posted:

Game is just barely Meh. Played for just shy of 2 hours and there wasn't anything that really stood out, or sucked me into the game.

It's definitely a Bethesda game. I've enjoyed pretty much everything by them up to and including FO3, never got that into New Vegas because I've been kind bored of this format. Same goes for Witcher 3, I got about 2-3 hours into the game and it just felt like the plethora of MMOs I've been playing for the past decade +.

Gameplay mechanics are decent, the shootiness definitely feels a lot tighter than FO3, not sure if I'm a fan of no skills though. It was one of those systems that was fun to game in previous Bethesda titles.

Graphics can be great at times, and really lovely at others. Probably a combination lovely rear end engine, lovely rear end Bethesda animation team, and great set pieces/level design.

The companion AI is brain dead shite. Even worse than Vermintide's AI bots. Solo runs are probably the only way to go until some modder makes a better AI and adds large tits to your companions in one go.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Steam refund policy. At $70 there wasn't enough fun/enjoyment at that premium price.

Hsbahahahaha these posts are loving awesome. How long does it take you to make that WHOLE SEVENTY DOLLARS that you were so repulsed by pretty much the tutorial and the exit of the tutorial that you decided to go out of your way to refund the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Skeezy posted:

So is anyone rolling a gunslinger style character? If so how did you build the special for it and all?

Just looking for some ideas.

Put like 3-4 points in everything, then put lots of points in perception and agility.

If you want to use VATS a lot, put lots of points into Luck.
Get the luck based crit skills and poo poo as well as rifleman and stuff.

If you want to use mostly manual shooting, don't take luck higher than 2-3.
Get the obvious skills like gun nut and rifleman and go to town. Pretty straight-forward.

Also consider if you want to go into sneaking or not. If so put more points into agility and get the sneaking perks.

Everybody is treating SPECIAL like its really complicated but its actually extremely simple and straightforward. I love it SO much more than F3 or Skyrim's perks.

projecthalaxy posted:

It does! Three each of Corn, Mutfruit, and Tato, one water equals 5 adhesive.

:psyboom:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Head into town, meet up with the brotherhood, you'll be tripping in laser weapons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Since this is just Skyrim with Guns I am disappointed I can't have a machine pistol in one hand and a set of bladed knuckles on the other like I could an axe and lightning.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So there was a rather misleading video clip pasted here a few days ago of Piper repeating the same phrase over and over and over again whenever the player passed by her and everyone talked about how they were going to avoid her.. She was trying to get his attention for a quest conversation. She doesn't actually do that. She said it once for me, then the dialogue options popped up, we had a nice chat, and that was that. I actually really like her as a companion, she's a spunky trouble maker and suites my "wasteland white knight who sneaks and lockpicks" lifestyle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Is there a settlement with a big diversity of crafting stations? I'm not spec'd into local leader 2 for my first character.

Uh the starting very first settlement should have all the crafting stations there are pretty much from the get-go.

The only one I think wasn't there was chems and there's one of those at the red rocket.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is joining every faction going to end up screwing me over? Cause I'm so far doing quests for every faction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

So there was a rather misleading video clip pasted here a few days ago of Piper repeating the same phrase over and over and over again whenever the player passed by her and everyone talked about how they were going to avoid her.. She was trying to get his attention for a quest conversation. She doesn't actually do that. She said it once for me, then the dialogue options popped up, we had a nice chat, and that was that. I actually really like her as a companion, she's a spunky trouble maker and suites my "wasteland white knight who sneaks and lockpicks" lifestyle.

She does do that, just not for everybody. ANY NPC in this game can bug up and repeat their dialogue endlessly. I've had it happen with random NPCs.

But no; people assuming that'd happen to everybody were being dumb. The bug is more complicated than just "piper is broken".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Does this game bother with a Karma system? I haven't seen it pop up but maybe it's a hidden stat? If not then I'm just gonna pickpocket everything from everyone.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

She does do that, just not for everybody. ANY NPC in this game can bug up and repeat their dialogue endlessly. I've had it happen with random NPCs.

But no; people assuming that'd happen to everybody were being dumb. The bug is more complicated than just "piper is broken".

Its not just NPCs either, it's any audio line.

I had to restart a game because Concord bugged out and had an endlessly firing phantom automatic pipe gun right out front of the museum. Could be heard within like 500 feet of town in any direction.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't aware of that, my bad. But still, Piper is great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hsbahahahaha these posts are loving awesome. How long does it take you to make that WHOLE SEVENTY DOLLARS that you were so repulsed by pretty much the tutorial and the exit of the tutorial that you decided to go out of your way to refund the game.

Yeah I'm always shocked how many goons are like "I bought this and played for 30 minutes and its boring so I refunded it". I guess its cool Steam lets you get away with that, but maybe spend more time thinking about if the game appeals to you before you buy it?

And yeah, who cares, Its just $70. Are you poor and/or 13? Although I guess being poor sucks and we should't make fun of poor goons :cheeky:

Zero VGS posted:

Does this game bother with a Karma system? I haven't seen it pop up but maybe it's a hidden stat? If not then I'm just gonna pickpocket everything from everyone.

It might be a hidden stat but if it is, it doesn't seem to have much bearing compared to the old games. Course I haven't gone super evil yet so it could sneak up on you.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Kirs posted:

I feel like I'm cheating stealth-sniping. On lvl 5. :smith:

I went in a Motor Factory to kill that Raiders guy to help first village and I snipe every mutherfucker in there (I even somehow got a sniper modded drum-magazine .38 sniper rifle from one of the raiders, so now I don't need to waste that .223 ammo).
Thing is if you able to kill anyone with a headshot and in stealth, other people give up chasing you in like 5-10 seconds, and you can get back and kill another one until last one of them is dead. More of it, I have AGI - 3, which is :mediocre: I guess, I just stay in darker corners and not sprint all the time. I feel like with proper AGI and perks you can run in front of enemies undetected all the time.

And I got question too. Does this game have any real weapon, not one made from scrap metal, poo poo and sticks by local Minmatars?

Where'd you find a sniper rifle so early?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

Theres one inside a house in concord on the second floor next to a body and a matress

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
To be fair, the whole opening sequence is really dumb, and honestly one of the weakest openings of the fallout games so far.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh the starting very first settlement should have all the crafting stations there are pretty much from the get-go.

The only one I think wasn't there was chems and there's one of those at the red rocket.

I made Red Rocket my go-to fast travel spot, the first settlement has all the houses kind of blend together so I can't tell them apart. At Red Rocket I just used the select menu to pick up all the crafting benches and put them all in a row together inside the garage, with a bed. One stop shopping.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

There's poo poo hidden everywhere.. I found a Fat Man at level 3 at a random scrap yard, and I got a snub-nose .44 from somewhere with 5 whole bullets. I'm now lvl 14ish and I've never found more .44 rounds.

Is there any kind of ammo crafting in the game? I feel like I would have seen mention of it by now if there was.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Put like 3-4 points in everything, then put lots of points in perception and agility.

If you want to use VATS a lot, put lots of points into Luck.
Get the luck based crit skills and poo poo as well as rifleman and stuff.

If you want to use mostly manual shooting, don't take luck higher than 2-3.
Get the obvious skills like gun nut and rifleman and go to town. Pretty straight-forward.

Also consider if you want to go into sneaking or not. If so put more points into agility and get the sneaking perks.

Everybody is treating SPECIAL like its really complicated but its actually extremely simple and straightforward. I love it SO much more than F3 or Skyrim's perks.

:psyboom:

Special isn't hard for me usually. I'm sure I'm making it harder on myself for this game though lol.

Thanks a bunch though dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

There's poo poo hidden everywhere.. I found a Fat Man at level 3 at a random scrap yard, and I got a snub-nose .44 from somewhere with 5 whole bullets. I'm now lvl 14ish and I've never found more .44 rounds.

Is there any kind of ammo crafting in the game? I feel like I would have seen mention of it by now if there was.

Does not appear to be any way to craft ammo, which is a step back from NV. Lots of merchants sell it though and you can set up shops in your own towns and stuff.

• Locked thread