Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logic
Jan 8, 2009

gfanikf posted:

I was reading somewhere that a GTX 460 would be the equivalent of a the minimum stated card which is GTI 550. Is anyone running with a GTX 460 I really don't want to get the PS4 version since mods are the only way the game is going to get better...but I don't want it to not be able to run.

I can run it on my 460gtx, everything on lowest settings or turned off if possible. It runs, it's not pretty but the frame rate decent at approx 20-30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How do I attract more settlers to my settlements?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Your Computer posted:

One thing I find amazing about this game is how terrifying everything is compared to FO3/NV. Bloatflies? Terrifying. Molerats? loving terrifying. Ghouls? Really loving terrifying. And these all felt completely non-threatening in the previous games.

Deathclaws actually [b]dodge[b] your attacks when you try to shoot them and tackle you to the ground.

Like deathclaws need to be more horrifying.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Huh? Bloatflies and Molerats take one shot each to bring down. Ghouls take like 3-5, one if you're in stealth.

Now SCARY is the dumb loving dog causing you to get caught on stairs/doorways/thin air and have to stand up and be seen because hes loving under foot all the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

New Leaf posted:

I'm playing under the assumption that my character has accepted that he may never find his son but it's the only thing keeping him from having a total nervous breakdown. Realistically, the abduction could have happened 10 minutes into cryo, or 10 days, or 10 years, or 100 years, or 10 minutes before I woke up. Surely your character has to realize this. But you lost your infant son, and poo poo's weird now. Just roll with it.

If you go talk to the "psychic" lady who wants drugs, she supposedly has a vision that your son is still alive which picks up the thread and tells you to move your rear end to diamond city. But she's also a drug-addled "psychic" so the way I'm roleplaying my dude I just called her out on bullshit and went about my business :)

BigRed0427 posted:

Build a radio tower. The game should have probably given you an objective?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Huh? Bloatflies and Molerats take one shot each to bring down. Ghouls take like 3-5, one if you're in stealth.

Now SCARY is the dumb loving dog causing you to get caught on stairs/doorways/thin air and have to stand up and be seen because hes loving under foot all the time.

He's probably playing on Hard or Survival.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

What kind of difficulty are you playing on? Bloatflies take a good 4-5 shots to take down for me :stare:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hsbahahahaha these posts are loving awesome. How long does it take you to make that WHOLE SEVENTY DOLLARS that you were so repulsed by pretty much the tutorial and the exit of the tutorial that you decided to go out of your way to refund the game.

It's not about the money, it's putting what you paid for it in perspective along with what you paid for a good game.

E: also for a rich guy you sure won't donate to the website you spend all your time on

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 11, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Same but I shot them all too.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your Computer posted:

What kind of difficulty are you playing on? Bloatflies take a good 4-5 shots to take down for me :stare:

Whatever the normal difficulty is?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you go talk to the "psychic" lady who wants drugs, she supposedly has a vision that your son is still alive which picks up the thread and tells you to move your rear end to diamond city. But she's also a drug-addled "psychic" so the way I'm roleplaying my dude I just called her out on bullshit and went about my business :)

Not to build a radio tower. I just started touching the Minuetman quests, only up to Oberland Station.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

BigRed0427 posted:

Build a Radio tower. You can even listen to your own dorky call for people to come by on the radio once you have one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

LumberingTroll posted:

Another awesome legendary drop

If people dont care I can stop posting these. I really dig the borderlands-ish loot system now.

I like seeing what they come up with. Mine have been relatively uninteresting, a +2 Luck arm piece from a Super Mutant, and a "Penetrating Lead Pipe :smuggo:" from a Legendary Alpha Mongrel dog. That was a loving fight and a half. Penetrating is cool if you're into melee, it ignores 30% of armor and damage resistance. I used it when ammo was a concern because I got it really early on, but it has been permanently shelved now. I got something else from a ghoul that I didn't realize was legendary until it was almost dead but I don't even remember what it was. Think it was an armor piece that lets me take 15% less damage from Super Mutants or something.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

Have a friend who was playing on "Very Hard" before he turned it down.

He ran out of ammo on the first half dozen attempts on the first deathclaw you come across and got ate. It was hilarious to listen to him fail on mumble.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah, bethesda literally didn't playtest this for female player characters, jesus christ. after you help piper with the interview, you get the next issue of Publick Occurences with the article about you in it, and literally every single instance where it should say "her" (as in "her hat is pretty" or whatever) says "hers" instead (as in "hers hat is pretty"), like some idiotic copy-paste error never got checked. kinda gettin mad about this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Power armor can be painted :allears: and there's a sweet flames paintjob

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

Ghouls? Really loving terrifying

Glowing Ones in particular are dicks. Like 'oh, you finally shot off both my arms? Lol not only am I still fighting I'm also going to revive everything in a four mile radius and make it aggro you'

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was definitely pretty spooked the first time mole rats started shooting out of the ground to bite my rear end.

They're still super squishy but I appreciate that Beth seems to have given the beasts of the wasteland some small amount of scripting this time around. Now it actually makes sense that mole rats are considered a threat and can flourish, since they don't just charge headlong into bullets from a mile away.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Whatever the normal difficulty is?

Same, that's odd. The 4-5 shots are from a Powerful 10mm Pistol with 27 damage, my second strongest gun :(

As for ghouls, the scary part is more how they hide as dead bodies and rise when you get near.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

yeah, bethesda literally didn't playtest this for female player characters, jesus christ. after you help piper with the interview, you get the next issue of Publick Occurences with the article about you in it, and literally every single instance where it should say "her" (as in "her hat is pretty" or whatever) says "hers" instead (as in "hers hat is pretty"), like some idiotic copy-paste error never got checked. kinda gettin mad about this.

Does the female character have any backstory at all? The dude is a war vet, etc, is the woman just 'generic 50s mom'?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Your Computer posted:

One thing I find amazing about this game is how terrifying everything is compared to FO3/NV. Bloatflies? Terrifying. Molerats? loving terrifying. Ghouls? Really loving terrifying. And these all felt completely non-threatening in the previous games.

edit: also, I found a dude who ate some bad canned meat and wouldn't stop farting. He told me to leave. Game 10/10.

Bloatflies and molerats aren't so bad, but getting swarmed by 30 ghouls can be harrowing. Unless you are in powerarmor then just you know, whatever.

The trick to making ghouls less terrifying is to shoot them in the legs (Until you get higher tier weapons then even a single chest shot will end them, except for glowing ones which are loving terrifying).

I would like the legendaries to stop giving me garbage drops though. If I'm fighting some terrifying hell beast I want a worthwhile payout at the end. Especially when it's so tough that filling my veins with Med-X and Psycho seems like the only legit way to survive.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Zaphod42 posted:

She was also in the room where you tell Preston you lost your son, so I'm assuming she just wanted me to not give up hope because I was nice to them. Since the male voice actor sounds like he's just playing along with all the crazy anyway, it kinda works.

Honestly, whenever she talks, I'm just imagining her yelling "Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink!" over and over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Does the female character have any backstory at all? The dude is a war vet, etc, is the woman just 'generic 50s mom'?

She's a lawyer. Dunno beyond that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

Woah being a mom is a full time job

Dick!

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Presumably she is the one with a law degree. A law degree in piloting power armor, it seems.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ran into my first Feral Ghoul Roamer exploring. I don't know if this was just a weird physics thing or a planned behavior, but as I was lining up a shot (outside of VATS), he was sprinting at me and SLAPPED MY GUN AWAY. My targeting reticle and the model of the gun went way off to the side and down and he clawed me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

She was also in the room where you tell Preston you lost your son, so I'm assuming she just wanted me to not give up hope because I was nice to them. Since the male voice actor sounds like he's just playing along with all the crazy anyway, it kinda works.

Honestly, whenever she talks, I'm just imagining her yelling "Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink!" over and over.

You gaht sahm prahblahm with a Bahstan accent? Pahk the cah in the stahboahd yahd.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Paladin Danse putting on his helmet has made us instant friends. He is too cool for school.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Walrus posted:

she's a lawyer, married to the war veteran, hasn't practiced in a while to take care of the family.

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

xanif posted:

Have a friend who was playing on "Very Hard" before he turned it down.

He ran out of ammo on the first half dozen attempts on the first deathclaw you come across and got ate. It was hilarious to listen to him fail on mumble.

This is exactly what happened to me. I tried using the car explosions to whittle it down but I could. Not. Kill. It. After about 6 tries I lowered it to hard and got it first try.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

In my reality shes the war vet and hes the bitchmade stay-at-home-dad who got shot in the face. The kids not really hers because daddy got a little frisky with the secretary at his office, which is why he quit his job to stay home and watch the little poo poo.

Now that its 200 years later mom's only goal is to find that little brat and end him.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Sandbox my rear end. Looks like certain important characters can't be killed off. On my first playthrough I wanted to simply murder everyone - screw humans, the bloat flies shall inherit the earth !!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

When does this happen? I built up the settlement like the guy said, and as soon as I put up defenses he thanked me and that was basically it. I've also helped both Minutemen related town quests.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

botany posted:

she's a lawyer, married to the war veteran, hasn't practiced in a while to take care of the family.

I just kind of assumed whichever one you picked is the war vet and the other is the lawyer.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

If I bump up nuclear physicist, can I end up using power armor all the time? Is there a set number of nuclear cores that I can use up and run out of?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Day Man posted:

If I bump up nuclear physicist, can I end up using power armor all the time? Is there a set number of nuclear cores that I can use up and run out of?

Nuclear cores appear in shops and respawn so you can never run entirely out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Sandbox my rear end. Looks like certain important characters can't be killed off. On my first playthrough I wanted to simply murder everyone - screw humans, the bloat flies shall inherit the earth !!

Yeah this is a big step in the wrong direction for Fallout IMO. Being able to kill p. much anyone and then getting a popup going "You dun hosed that questline up, oh well" was very freeing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah this is a big step in the wrong direction for Fallout IMO. Being able to kill p. much anyone and then getting a popup going "You dun hosed that questline up, oh well" was very freeing.

This is still in the game. Aside from companions who are invincible I think you can shoot a bunch of major characters in the face. You absolutely can shoot Father directly in the face before he says a single line.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe my game is bugged and thinks it's on Hard :v:

Speaking of bugs, one of the subtitles for when your character getting hit is "Ugh.".. if you quickload before the text goes away, it'll stay there until the next time your character speaks. Have fun with "Ugh." displayed on your screen at all times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fans posted:

Paladin Danse putting on his helmet has made us instant friends. He is too cool for school.

Personally I thought he was a bit of a tool with the way he talks, but then he gave me a cool laser rifle so okay, not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hammerstein posted:

Yeah but Bethesda haven't had the balls to do that since Morrowind. At least it's not as bad as Oblivion where half the random assholes in backwater inns you came across couldn't be killed because they had some gently caress-retarded quest.

• Locked thread