Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you want bulk loot to maximize the chance of getting something you want regardless of color, the short missions are the best for it, and ramparts, smuggler's and waterfront are all good runs to cycle through. If you're looking to try and get good stuff, then you want to go out and drag a library back, and pretty much all the long maps are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

terrorist ambulance posted:

It has no tomes or grims, so playing it repeatedly on Nightmare is a good way to get a lot of green and white loot.

For fun, go through the thread and read all the people crying about how they never roll well - you've found the guys that run ramps and sewers constantly

I've done several full grim/tomes/dice runs on Nightmare and still never rolled anything higher than a 5.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I've done several full grim/tomes/dice runs on Nightmare and still never rolled anything higher than a 5.

Rolling higher than a 5 is supposed to be difficult. If you've done 100 full runs you'll maybe see 2-3 7s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On a full run with full dice and grimoires, you have a 1/13 chance to get 7 successes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Of course it would be thirteen. :v:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

For fun, go through the thread and read all the people crying about how they never roll well - you've found the guys that run ramps and sewers constantly

You're going to get a lot of dudes coming in here defending themselves. Myself included. I had a real lovely couple days of rolling 1 and 2s, but that was from Rampart/Horn and Tower (with a couple of Engine runs in there too).

Not all of us are speed running certain levels for loot, but it still sucks rear end when you get nothing from it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Stringbean posted:

You're going to get a lot of dudes coming in here defending themselves. Myself included. I had a real lovely couple days of rolling 1 and 2s, but that was from Rampart/Horn and Tower (with a couple of Engine runs in there too).

Not all of us are speed running certain levels for loot, but it still sucks rear end when you get nothing from it.

If you guys played this game more like L4D and didn't expect to get great loot, you'd enjoy it more.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Skandranon posted:

If you guys played this game more like L4D and didn't expect to get great loot, you'd enjoy it more.

I sort of agree except that it would be nice if classes had more starting options (mostly because I hate the blunderbuss and can't replace it).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Yeah I find it weird when people criticize this game for not having enough loot progression or the right kind of progression or whatever and then bring up left 4 rats in the next sentence, because that game had absolutely no progression at all. You played a campaign, you had fun, that was it. If you play left 4 rats to just shoot some rats and have fun with buddies you will get more out of it. It does make the game last longer to get something for beating a level and it sucks when losing at the very end means you get nothing at all. But you're not going to have fun if all you care about is a dice roll and not, you know, playing the drat game.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I sort of agree except that it would be nice if classes had more starting options (mostly because I hate the blunderbuss and can't replace it).

then loving exploit/cheese the game until you get the items you want/need to play the game on the real mode, nightmare or cata.

Thats why I did BP cheese because I wanted all the decent loot so I can actually play the game on challenging difficulty

BUTNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to poopsock loving hard ramparts or sewers for whites then turn those into greens then turn those into blues to get my oranges.

loving idiots imo

EDIT: second option, git gud and just do nightmares in whites. It is absolutely possible and fun with two grims.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Skandranon posted:

I enjoy the poo poo out of this game - but don't tell me you don't feel good when you nab yourself an orange item.

It's gambling more or less, but instead of cash - you're betting with your time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

then loving exploit/cheese the game until you get the items you want/need to play the game on the real mode, nightmare or cata.

Thats why I did BP cheese because I wanted all the decent loot so I can actually play the game on challenging difficulty

BUTNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to poopsock loving hard ramparts or sewers for whites then turn those into greens then turn those into blues to get my oranges.

loving idiots imo

EDIT: second option, git gud and just do nightmares in whites. It is absolutely possible and fun with two grims.

If you wanted to play on a difficulty that would be a challenge then why did you think you had to get better gear that would make it less of a challenge

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If you wanted to play on a difficulty that would be a challenge then why did you think you had to get better gear that would make it less of a challenge

Items don't even change the difficulty of the level, you would know this if you played on cata.

All items do is make it manageable, but not having a decent rapier or handgun makes it impossible really

READ: Items help but you still need to be good, and having the right items makes it actually possible to play/beat on cata.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Play the game, enjoy the game. If you get good loot, bonus.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

xthetenth posted:

:agreed:

Also don't exploit. Hold grims hostage when people try to.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

xthetenth posted:

This.

I'm really just in it for Hats now.... Hats and killing rats.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

on the one hand, nightmare is very possible with greens and whites

on the other, having a bunch of fun options is fun

in conclusion, if they've fixed the exploits i won't be too broken up about it because i got a good orange soldier rifle

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Well, the progression is going up in difficulty and seeing what else the game can throw at you. That's a pretty natural progression, most people in L4D got the hang of normal, then got advanced down to a science, then rocked their way through expert. Due to the fact that there was no meta-game progression this was all very seamless and easy.

In this game none of that is true, you can feel like you are stuck doing the same challenges just so you can get the tools to go up a level. And loot DOES matter when going up a level, despite Snatch Duster acting like a complete retard walking around in whites in Nightmare is not a good time, and even greens might not cut it depending on your preferred load out (WH rapiers suffer a lot from not having the blue damage upgrade, as do elf daggers - most of the 2h and sword/shield combos are fine though). Faster weapons in particular tend to benefit a lot from the color upgrades because the damage increase is wonky and will give them disproportionately more damage. And gently caress off rolling into Cata until you are armed to the nines, clan rats have so much health on that difficulty level that you need every scrap of damage you can get just so you can keep progressing past the trickle of clan rat spawns and assault tarpits you will get thrown into.

I imagine the DLC in December will clarify a lot of this for people. In the weeks after this game came out, one of my usual crew said a couple of times "this game should've never left beta." And between the first DLC making day-30 fundamental changes to how progression works and the absolutely mammoth number of bugfixes we got today, I'd hazard to say that Fatshark agrees with him in private.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azerban posted:

in conclusion, if they've fixed the exploits i won't be too broken up about it because i got a good orange soldier rifle

:agreed:

I only have two oranges so far but on is a good soldier handgun and it owns bones.

Group member: "pat"
Group member: "hide chomp, pat coming"
Me: "I got this, stand back"
*gunshot*
-Chomp has slain stormvermin x4
*gunshot*
-Chomp has slain stormvermin x4
Me: "/bow"
Group member: "lol"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
How are the new bots? I usually play with humans but occasionally it's fun to do a quick sewer run with a bot crew, barring certain glitchy behaviors.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I did a brief ramparts run with them this morning and had no complaints at all. Basically every major complaint that people had is addressed in the patch notes, so presuming none of those are lies they should be some of the most helpful bots in co-op gaming history.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Snatch Duster posted:

loving idiots imo

I'm not sure what most of that had to do with my quote.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They kind of already were some of the best bots I've ever seen. The Ratling Gun obsession was bizarre but otherwise you really couldn't ask for more from an AI buddy and they fill in nicely when you only have 2 of your friends on to play with and don't want to bring in a pubby 4th.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
The cpu optimization is not a small deal, game is running much better for me now

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Night10194 posted:

They kind of already were some of the best bots I've ever seen. The Ratling Gun obsession was bizarre but otherwise you really couldn't ask for more from an AI buddy and they fill in nicely when you only have 2 of your friends on to play with and don't want to bring in a pubby 4th.

They were pretty good, and honestly they were ridiculously good at meleeing the rat swarms without taking damage for the most part, but I didn't see anything in the patch notes so I'm assuming they still don't pick up grimoires or tomes though, and that was one of my biggest issues with them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bots will pick up tomes if they do not have another healing item, so while it's a delicate thing you can finagle that.

The other stuff though, yeah, bots should have a little routine like this:

1) Player pings something
2) Bot checks all allies' inventory slots
3) Everyone full? Bot grabs the thing, even if they won't use it
4) (optional) player pings the same thing twice? Pick it up regardless.

It's kind of a pain if you're using a bot to fill in for someone and you have to abandon a strength potion and a bomb because the bot won't pick it up.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
They have always picked up tomes. The only time they have trouble with them is if they're in a place they cannot path to, but if it's just one they can walk next to you highlight it and they'll pick it up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had some complaints with the bots but they were ridiculously good at controlling rats if you gave them a shield. And that was good since it's one of the most important roles a team needs to fill but one that not every player probably wants to do themselves.

I have seen them pick up tomes but you have to watch them because they might drop the tome for a healing item and then not pick up the tome again. Now if the bots could know how to pick up potions and use them at the right time they would be even better. Not sure I want them to learn how to pick up and throw bombs though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pitdragon posted:

They were pretty good, and honestly they were ridiculously good at meleeing the rat swarms without taking damage for the most part, but I didn't see anything in the patch notes so I'm assuming they still don't pick up grimoires or tomes though, and that was one of my biggest issues with them.

They will never pick up grims, but if they don't have a healing item they will pick up tomes.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Stringbean posted:

I enjoy the poo poo out of this game - but don't tell me you don't feel good when you nab yourself an orange item.

It's gambling more or less, but instead of cash - you're betting with your time.

I can feel good about getting a new item without smashing my keyboard when I don't.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I have seen them pick up tomes but you have to watch them because they might drop the tome for a healing item and then not pick up the tome again. Now if the bots could know how to pick up potions and use them at the right time they would be even better. Not sure I want them to learn how to pick up and throw bombs though.

We lost a tome yesterday on horn because the AI had it and we got jumped by a rogre in the courtyard. Kill it, and the loving bot has a medkit. Check every possible spawn point for healing, no tome. Ascended straight into the rat dimension.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm not sure what most of that had to do with my quote.

Just using your post to soap box the dumb idealogy of goons refusing to exploit then complain they can't do nightmare or keep getting poo poo gear.

Gear is pointless, but quality gear makes playing on nightmare/cata possible.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Have you guys ever stopped and looked at a grimoire with the 'examine item' button? They are some suitably creepy poo poo. Now I know why Kruber is always all :gonk: whenever I pick one up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Backhand posted:

Have you guys ever stopped and looked at a grimoire with the 'examine item' button? They are some suitably creepy poo poo. Now I know why Kruber is always all :gonk: whenever I pick one up.

Never thought to examine a grimoire :prepop:

Will do next time.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I like making the tail spin like a propellor

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Never thought to examine a grimoire :prepop:

Will do next time.

It's basically the Necronomicon from Army of Darkness.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

Gear is pointless, but quality gear makes playing on nightmare/cata possible.

You make no sense.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You make no sense.

It does once you start doing cata. Basically you can't crutch on oranges, but oranges make cata actually possible to play.

So why not exploit to get those oranges, and then start playing on the real game difficulty instead of picking up bad habits playing on hard.

EDIT: or just keep bitching about greens and whites running ramparts on hard aka very easy mode.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Snatch Duster posted:

It does once you start doing cata. Basically you can't crutch on oranges, but oranges make cata actually possible to play.

So why not exploit to get those oranges, and then start playing on the real game difficulty instead of picking up bad habits playing on hard.

EDIT: or just keep bitching about greens and whites running ramparts on hard aka very easy mode.

Christ you're a terrible poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

Ah, I see, you derive your enjoyment from being smug about playing hard difficulties.

• Locked thread