Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The solution to all this is to call your insurance agent and they will sue the neighbor. It really isn't that hard. The initial damage is probably not the neighbors liability but his tree company dropping a tree on your house is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

The house has wall to wall carpeting, and the previous owner had a lot of animals. I have asthma that is triggered by pet dander, so I currently can't spend more than a few minutes in the house without having an asthma attack.

This morning we are closing on pet dander death house. Of course Veterans Day has hosed the schedule and now we won't get the keys until Thursday or even Friday. :911:

You may want to get a fancy air filter for your furnace to capture the dander as the carpets are being removed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bozart posted:

You may want to get a fancy air filter for your furnace to capture the dander as the carpets are being removed.

And probably rent some high-volume free-standing ones during that time as well to try to intercept what you're pulling up before it heads into the HVAC system.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assure you his HVAC system is already saturated with pet dander. Fortunately the insides of vents aren't super-conducive to holding lots of dust. You can get them cleaned out if you want, but my furnace guy insists that duct cleaning is a scam.

Just do the carpet work, replace the filter, blow it hard for a day, and then replace the filter again.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Furnace guy shows up, furnace fires right up on the first try. $80 service call for no good reason.

Home ownership!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As an IT guy, I charge for those services. I call it my "fix it aura"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yep. Been on the other side of this before. He did that, I just respond with "all right, what's the charge for a service call."

I'll probably be bringing him out again to do an estimate on a full forced-air install HVAC system this summer, hopefully that goes less stupidly.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Guys and gals, I'd like some advice comparing and contrasting two options when to buy a home, summer 2016 or summer 2017. The longer I wait I feel the higher the average APR will rise, and a difference between 5 and 6 is an extra $40K over the life of the loan for a $200K loan. So even if there was some huge tax credit for buying a home as a married couple (as opposed to getting hitched after the fact) it would be significantly better long term to lock in a low APR while the getting's good.

The other consideration is the mortgage I could get approved for in 2016 would be significantly less than if I waited until married and could combine income.

Summer 2016 -
Unmarried
Income = $50K/year
APR 5%

Summer 2017 -
Married
Combined income = 75K/year
APR 6%

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

935 posted:

The other consideration is the mortgage I could get approved for in 2016 would be significantly less than if I waited until married and could combine income.

If you haven't actually applied for a mortgage yet and don't have bad credit you'll probably be shocked by how much money they're willing to lend you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

935 posted:

Guys and gals, I'd like some advice comparing and contrasting two options when to buy a home, summer 2016 or summer 2017. The longer I wait I feel the higher the average APR will rise, and a difference between 5 and 6 is an extra $40K over the life of the loan for a $200K loan. So even if there was some huge tax credit for buying a home as a married couple (as opposed to getting hitched after the fact) it would be significantly better long term to lock in a low APR while the getting's good.

Summer 2016 -
Unmarried
Income = $50K/year
APR 5%

Summer 2017 -
Married
APR 6%

Nobody can actually predict interest rates. If you could, you could make an absolute killing on various markets. You also can't predict house prices, but in general the expectation is that if rates rise, prices will have to fall to compensate. You also don't know if rates might go back down at some point over the life of that loan, and you could refinance. Finally: most people don't live in their first purchased home for a full 30 years. Unless this is the house you will retire in, don't worry about $40k divided out over 30 years. Instead, focus on how much of a down payment you can save up (which would presumably be higher if you wait a year?), because a higher down payment means borrowing less, and that means paying less in interest!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

935 posted:

Summer 2016 -
Unmarried
Income = $50K/year
APR 5%

Summer 2017 -
Married
APR 6%

Basically I was going to say what Leperflesh already said. Your post might as well have said "but guys what if APRs are 90% in 2017?! I have to buy right now!"

What's most important is finding a house that you like and that you can afford. The first step is to go through your finances and figure out how much money you'd be comfortable burning every month on home expenses. Have you done this yet? Everyone should sit down and periodically figure out their budget, even if they never intend on buying a home. If you can't afford to buy a house that you'll actually enjoy living in with 20% down, then you shouldn't buy a house; whether or not interest rates will rise in the future is irrelevant to that point.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Hi house thread. Should I pay $120 for a radon test at the inspection?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

novamute posted:

If you haven't actually applied for a mortgage yet and don't have bad credit you'll probably be shocked by how much money they're willing to lend you.

When I was loan shopping and earning $50k, they qualified me for $280k. :shepspends:

I figured I could actually afford about half of that

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Business posted:

Hi house thread. Should I pay $120 for a radon test at the inspection?

If you want to squeeze the seller into installing a radon system, then yes. Money well spent. Almost all homes have radon above the "safe" limit unless you live where there is no radon, mostly the South where you don't have windows closed all winter anyway. I personally prefer a passive system that isn't quite as good but I don't like my kids anyway. It will just give them an incentive to cure cancer.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

novamute posted:

Also it's really easy for two unmarried people to get a mortgage together, even if it's not always the best idea due to what could happen if you break up.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My wife and I bought unmarried (but engaged) and they had no problem accounting for both of our incomes and there was no complication in approval either.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

couldcareless posted:

My wife and I bought unmarried (but engaged) and they had no problem accounting for both of our incomes and there was no complication in approval either.

My fiancee and I had the same experience.

Also, I agree with others saying they'll approve you for more than you think. They approved us for $680k and I made them redo the pre-approval letter to say $250k instead.

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also it's really easy for two unmarried people to get a mortgage together, even if it's not always the best idea due to what could happen if you break up.

Yeah, non married co-borrowers generally isn't a big deal, guidelines are basically the same and you just have different application forms and credit reports rather than joint. The only significant exception I can think of is VA loans, since the VA won't guarantee the co-borrowers portion of the loan if they're not your spouse and/or also an eligible service member/vet. Generally this means that the co-borrower is required to bring in some down payment to cover their half of the missing VA guarantee, though that is lender dependent.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Captain Windex posted:

Yeah, non married co-borrowers generally isn't a big deal, guidelines are basically the same and you just have different application forms and credit reports rather than joint. The only significant exception I can think of is VA loans, since the VA won't guarantee the co-borrowers portion of the loan if they're not your spouse and/or also an eligible service member/vet. Generally this means that the co-borrower is required to bring in some down payment to cover their half of the missing VA guarantee, though that is lender dependent.

I am married and got a VA loan and my wife(Canadian) had to get a quit claim deed. It was a hassle because there aren't many US notaries in Canada either.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Hey, is there a thread for "okay I bought a place, how do I do DIY crap like yanking out all the coax Comcast choked the exterior of the house with"?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

minivanmegafun posted:

Hey, is there a thread for "okay I bought a place, how do I do DIY crap like yanking out all the coax Comcast choked the exterior of the house with"?

Yes.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407&pagenumber=1

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm apparently illiterate and didn't notice we have an entire sub forum for this. Thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's the most subtle unmentioned subforum on this side of project.log

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

lampey posted:

I am married and got a VA loan and my wife(Canadian) had to get a quit claim deed. It was a hassle because there aren't many US notaries in Canada either.

Vesting and ability to get financing approval aren't really directly related, though VA can get weird about some things so I suppose that could mess things up on the approval side for some cases. Whenever I hear there's some weird quirk to standard loan practices, it's almost always the VA deciding to be a special snowflake . And yeah, getting docs notarized in foreign countries is a pain - the only way to do it with my old bank was through American embassy officials so people far from one of those were basically SOL.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Closing set for Monday, getting real nervous. Exactly a month from getting an email from the realtor saying hey are you still interested in this house to closing seems both really fast and really slow because so little has happened

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm also closing on Monday, at 9 AM, and haven't gotten an email from my lender saying exactly how much I need to bring on a certified check or anything. Really hoping an email doesn't show up Friday night or Saturday sometime when the banks are closed and I can't get the check until Monday sometime (especially because I've got the final walk through at 8 AM).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm also closing on Monday, at 9 AM, and haven't gotten an email from my lender saying exactly how much I need to bring on a certified check or anything. Really hoping an email doesn't show up Friday night or Saturday sometime when the banks are closed and I can't get the check until Monday sometime (especially because I've got the final walk through at 8 AM).

I just got mine a few hours ago. It was broken down weirdly but once I realized taxes were 80% of the cost I wasn't too annoyed by it

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Captain Windex posted:

Any time after your loan funds are disbursed is fine. You can apply before hand as well, but you'll run the risk that your lender repulls your credit, sees the inquiry and asks what's up. It probably wouldn't kill the deal unless you've got a borderline qualification situation, but it might hold up your closing due to the bank then wanting to verify the payment for the debt to requalify.

Woohoo, we finally closed escrow and got the keys this morning. :hfive:

However, on my bank's website, the status of my loan still says "we're getting the checks ready to send." Surely if escrow is closed and the sale is on record, the loan is done? Can I buy my drat aircraft carrier yet?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We can't figure out how your bank's website/database works for you. Just relax and give it a few days.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

We can't figure out how your bank's website/database works for you. Just relax and give it a few days.

I just do not understand the whole closing process at all, and cannot imagine a scenario in which they would record the sale, transfer the deed, and give us the keys without all the money having gone through, but I am not a banker. :psyduck:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

I just do not understand the whole closing process at all, and cannot imagine a scenario in which they would record the sale, transfer the deed, and give us the keys without all the money having gone through, but I am not a banker. :psyduck:

It's almost certainly gone through, there's probably just some person they're waiting on to manually copy that information into whatever database their website feeds information from.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
If you got the keys, it's gone through.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

My bank issued a cashier's check that accidentally wasn't linked to our account, so they were responsible for paying it and no money was taken out of our account. They call two days after closing, freaking out and wanting us to come in to sort things out.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The house bought in Ohio last month was weird. I signed on a Monday, the sellers signed on Wednesday, and my agent waited with me at the property holding the keys until he got a call around 6pm that the deed had been recorded, he then gave me the keys. The next day a courier brought by the actual recorded deed and dropped it off.

Was really weird and different from my experience in a state that uses deed in trust.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Just got my check for my mortgage cashout. Electrician is here today and monday. Soon our long national nightmare will be over..

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
What level of hell did I just step into?

Doing due diligence on a place. I went to the city and got records for all permits filed from the property construction, to today. Turns out the AC was added in 2002, but the permit was canceled per the records I have because final inspection was never done, which turns the AC into non-permitted work. To complicate things, the owner in 2002 that put in the AC is not the current owner.

I don't want to walk away (yet) but I don't want to assume any liability from non-permitted work. Has anyone dealt with something similar? What am I looking at to get this issue resolved?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well, you can submit an addendum requiring the filing of an HVAC permit. The seller might balk at the request, so as part of your addendum you should make it clear that you're going to walk unless the addendum is signed before the end of the due diligence period.

And yes, I do think that you should walk if they refuse to get it permitted. It's kind of a minor defect, but if the system is fine then getting it permitted should be no big deal (potentially time-consuming)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
38 days from the realtor sending us an email about interest in the property to closing. Holy moly that was fast.

Getting a check at closing due to crazy county taxes is pretty cool though

Edit: Lol I can't get the door to open and there's no key to the back so we're going to have to get a locksmith?? Do never buy

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2015

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Two years in our first house, and two years of 25%+ property tax increase proposals! To be fair, our proposed (and market) value has increased around 40% since we bought. Huzzah for HUD foreclosures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How did you do the before closing walkthrough without a working key?