Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Don't know what's going on with the first one, but the second is usually for special needs kids that must be supervised at all times or something. it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

NO

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Drifter posted:

the second is usually for special needs kids that must be supervised at all times or something. it makes sense.

Local pedophile discovers one weird trick to see naked children.

Police hate him!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kindergartens always have tiny, easily inspected toilets but that tp holder is deffo too far away

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the best part is that it's labeled as a bathroom. the most incomplete bathroom ever built.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I'm guessing it's a daycare so there's just a few adults looking after a whole lot of kids, some of whom are toilet training and still need assistance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How about these new Polycom spider thingies?

I appreciate the additional functionality compared to the old dumb ones, but the touchscreen diaplad is the worst thing ever. Not only is it not super responsive, it's just lovely to use compared to physical buttons in general when you have to dial a phone number manually or, you know, punch in the 10-digit conference passcode while looking at the meeting request.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks awkward as gently caress.

Content: Touch screen keyboards in general. Big fingers + vowels close together + weird auto-correct assumptions = typing disaster.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Here's a useful error message from a slideshow I have to read at work: "You may only view slides that you have already viewed". Very useful...

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Germstore posted:

yeah, but there's only so many high visibility colors

nope, just the one

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I appreciate the additional functionality compared to the old dumb ones, but the touchscreen diaplad is the worst thing ever. Not only is it not super responsive, it's just lovely to use compared to physical buttons in general when you have to dial a phone number manually or, you know, punch in the 10-digit conference passcode while looking at the meeting request.

Conference gear in general is loving trash designed by arseholes to annoy idiots into phone for tech support (which where I work, is me.)

Touch pads on everything is the single worst design choice ever made from a use point of view. The vast majority of companies use really cheap screens with godawful tracking and the interface on the screens is often cluttered, buttons too small and too close together which makes it even harder for the crap quality touchscreen to register a press. We have some reasonably nice Cisco kit which isn't bad but the cheaper stuff is just depressingly annoying to use.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

First glance i thought this was an Iphone slot in a polycom adapter to conveniently conference over yoiur mobile...

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Really, the old Polycons with all the buttons on one leg were just about a perfect a design as I could think of, I can't see any reason to wedge a touchscreen in there unless it's to look "cool".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I suppose this could work without a touchscreen tool, but the upside is supposed to be that you can search and call Lync/Exchange contacts, which is pretty nice. Although on this one it's either disabled or just not functional. And I just had to reboot it to get into the directory at all, otherwise it wouldn't react to button presses at all.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

First glance i thought this was an Iphone slot in a polycom adapter to conveniently conference over yoiur mobile...
It actually seems to be running Android, based on the volume slider that pops up when you adjust the volume.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I suppose this could work without a touchscreen tool, but the upside is supposed to be that you can search and call Lync/Exchange contacts, which is pretty nice. Although on this one it's either disabled or just not functional. And I just had to reboot it to get into the directory at all, otherwise it wouldn't react to button presses at all.

Pretty standard for Polycom equipment...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

88h88 posted:

Touch pads on everything is the single worst design choice ever made from a use point of view. The vast majority of companies use really cheap screens with godawful tracking and the interface on the screens is often cluttered, buttons too small and too close together which makes it even harder for the crap quality touchscreen to register a press. We have some reasonably nice Cisco kit which isn't bad but the cheaper stuff is just depressingly annoying to use.

I loving hate the touch pads half our "new" machines at work use. Using them wearing heavy gloves or even just latex is drat near impossible and if you get any residue on the screen, good luck having it work at all. Also we've found that some of the screens will react to things like flies walking over them. Which is just loving swell.

But what's worse is this poo poo:

I use devices at work which will change the pad format from one screen to another and it drives me insane. Pick a goddamn standard and stick to it :argh:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's justifiable if the device has both a calculator and phone number entry because flipping either of those would be bad. I'm having a hard time thinking of a type of device that would need both though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just pulled two sets of numpads off google. Serves me right for being lazy.

What I mean is, numerical input pads which switch from having a 1, 2, 3 top row to ones with a 7, 8, 9 top row. On the same machine, on the same touch screen. Just different menus.

This means everyone has to constantly recheck their inputs and double think everything because if we enter wrong values expensive things will happen. Bad expensive things.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 11, 2015

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
WIth regards to bad touchscreen design... The navigation system in my car (model from 2013) has a sensor that detects when your hands are getting close to the screen so it can show some buttons that are otherwise hidden so you can see more of the map. Unfortunately, this moves some other buttons around that are always visible, so if you are not paying too much attention (because you are driving), you may actually hit the wrong button since it was moved. No idea who came up with that poo poo.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Wuntvor posted:

WIth regards to bad touchscreen design... The navigation system in my car (model from 2013) has a sensor that detects when your hands are getting close to the screen so it can show some buttons that are otherwise hidden so you can see more of the map. Unfortunately, this moves some other buttons around that are always visible, so if you are not paying too much attention (because you are driving), you may actually hit the wrong button since it was moved. No idea who came up with that poo poo.

:psyduck: can you disable this?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Touch screens for anything in cars other than GPS is a travesty of Bad design.

Hm yes I would love to navigate Linux to change the temperature while I drive

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Melmac posted:

Touch screens for anything in cars other than GPS is a travesty of Bad design.

Hm yes I would love to navigate Linux to change the temperature while I drive

Have certain autos gone to full touchscreen interfaces ?? That seems wretched.
My vehicle, while including a touchscreen for a bunch of stuff aside from GPS, also has ordinary analogue inputs for climate control and that sort of stuff. Having to play computer games just to access basic functionalities would drive me utterly insane.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I like to think the space labeled as "bathroom" is being peed on by the kid in the green jacket while the girl on the floor looks at him in disgust.

Also, it's set up pretty well. The autists can poop, take a step, draw a poop picture on the empty space, and then move on to the toilet paper roll. The Gilbreaths would be pleased with whoever designed this lovely, safe poo space.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Modest Mauser posted:

My vehicle, while including a touchscreen for a bunch of stuff aside from GPS, also has ordinary analogue inputs for climate control and that sort of stuff. Having to play computer games just to access basic functionalities would drive me utterly insane.

My friend's car requires you use a touch screen for adjusting volume and changing radio stations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this volume control

not even going into using a touchscreen for most stereo functions

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Jenny Agutter posted:

this volume control

not even going into using a touchscreen for most stereo functions

wait, how the gently caress does that even work

Related but not as awful: a bad method of controlling the volume (spoiler alert, it's poo poo)

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
The only explanation is they want more car accidents so they sell more cars.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

wait, how the gently caress does that even work

i dont even know, its that black area around the vol label. a big touch-sensitive strip. a coworker had it as a rental and i never figured out if it was absolute or relative or if youre supposed to hold your finger at one end to increase/decrease or what.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
automatic climate control in cars

look i get it. a bunch of lights and buttons are fancier than the old school knobs n levers and the illusion of automation makes people think its a good thing but it just obfuscates the basic features on yr car with electronics for no reason

when you are uncomfortable you turn the setting down. it doesnt matter if temperature is an absolute measurement of cabin temperature or a vague dot of color next to the knob - functionally they are indistinguishable to the driver. most of the time you just leave it on the same setting anyways. why add a screen with navigation buttons and modes taht turn each other off. makes it harder to turn off your a/c compressor or switch to defog or to recirculate and just blow regular unheated uncooled air when those are things that you want to be able to accomplish with urgency if u need to

and if the electronics on the lil screen fry then well gently caress you, right

(dont buy a saab)

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Modest Mauser posted:

hi i am tesla car. pleased to meet you.

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Dave Concepcion posted:

You could just as easily say that everything about Tesla is a bad design.
Though, wow, that console is extremely obnoxious and garish. eww.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
oh a Bad Saab Thing

this is the headlight switch for the 1st gen saab 9-3. Looks p simple with some weird middle option right?

car has daytime running lights that always stay on. nothing happens when you turn the knob. if it is in the off position you can't turn your high beams on. the top 2 options are basically just 'on' except if its in the top one you can trigger a parking lamp for a few minutes by holding the high beam switch down (to walk to your door i guess?)

why that poo poo doesnt just happen without prompt and there isnt a switch there in the first place is beyond me. they included a switch that only has a function when daytime running lights are off, which you have to pull a fuse to disable :psyduck:

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 11, 2015

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hard plastic packing containers that require a sacrificial finger to open

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Whole Internet posted:

theft deterrance

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Wuntvor posted:

Computers in general and popping poo poo up/moving it to/from underneath your fingers or cursor and then assuming what you actually hit is what you meant to hit. I don't have instantaneous reactions, nor does any other human. If I click on a particular point on the screen where a button happens to be, and that button wasn't there 0.1 seconds ago, hey guess what? That button probably isn't what I actually intended to click on (I haven't even had time to register that it's there yet). Especially if the application that caused it to appear didn't even own that region of the screen until 0.1 seconds ago.

Now let me tell you how I feel about applications stealing the focus,

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dave Concepcion posted:

Why does the car have a picture of itself inside itself?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

think about the kind of person who buys a tesla

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Why does the car have a picture of itself inside itself?

well brace yourself for this

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

The Whole Internet posted:

This stuff is literally Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RideTheSpiral posted:

well brace yourself for this

Is that the key? Is the Tesla key a tiny model of the car it unlocks?

• Locked thread