Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

also omg multiverse mafia

i'd consider helping run that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

probably should be open setup? otherwise we'd lose the interesting features of closed-setup games as it gets meta'd between threads

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

You can put me in with the win condition of "there is no win condition just cause mischief"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Multiverse Mafia - why lurk in just one thread when you can lurk in a half dozen at once!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think by necessity the setup would need to be open, if only because people are going to figure it out eventually in-game. There can and should be an element of randomness tossed in, though, so that's what keeps people guessing.

Perhaps a PieC9 with some vanillas added, plus a 25-50% chance of a jester who not only wins when executed but everyone else loses?

PieC9 remember is equal chances of any of the following setups:
- 2 mafia goons, 0-1 cop, 0-1 doctor (but NOT both a cop AND a doc), and 4 vanilla town
- 1 mafia goon, 1 mafia roleblocker, 5 vanilla townies
- 1 mafia goon, 1 mafia roleblocker, 1 cop, 1 doctor, 3 vanilla town

So maybe make it 9 players total (since the one-day-until-exlo buffer is pretty tight) by adding in 1-2 vanilla town and 0-1 jesters.

e: in retrospect adding a chance of a jester only incentivizes the mafia to claim even more (since they can hope to get dismissed as "just a jester" letting them lurk and be a non-entity all game) while not letting the town have any fun at all (since how can they tell a jester from a fake scumclaimer, esp. if they don't have a cop?)

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 11, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I think by necessity the setup would need to be open, if only because people are going to figure it out eventually in-game. There can and should be an element of randomness tossed in, though, so that's what keeps people guessing.

Perhaps a PieC9 with some vanillas added, plus a 25-50% chance of a jester who not only wins when executed but everyone else loses?

PieC9 remember is equal chances of any of the following setups:
- 2 mafia goons, 0-1 cop, 0-1 doctor (but NOT both a cop AND a doc), and 4 vanilla town
- 1 mafia goon, 1 mafia roleblocker, 5 vanilla townies
- 1 mafia goon, 1 mafia roleblocker, 1 cop, 1 doctor, 3 vanilla town

So maybe make it 9 players total (since the one-day-until-exlo buffer is pretty tight) by adding in 1-2 vanilla town and 0-1 jesters.

e: in retrospect adding a chance of a jester only incentivizes the mafia to claim even more (since they can hope to get dismissed as "just a jester" letting them lurk and be a non-entity all game) while not letting the town have any fun at all (since how can they tell a jester from a fake scumclaimer, esp. if they don't have a cop?)

have a Fun Tyrant role that is effectively a Brutal Jestercop? i.e. can safely NK the jester

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Running them one after another, rather than concurrently, might solve some of the incentive problems (since people would be playing with imperfect knowledge and thus it'd be harder to make strictly rational calculations about how best to win), but it'd lose a lot of the fun.

It's weird trying to balance against someone intentionally losing the game. I don't think I've ever had to do that before.

Captain Foo posted:

have a Fun Tyrant role that is effectively a Brutal Jestercop? i.e. can safely NK the jester

I was thinking of like just a normal vig, but remember the incentive for the mafia is "I want to lose the game or at the very least not have to pay attention to it." Giving the town a way to stop a jester might make it more fun for the town but you still have the mafia problem of "I get vig killed instead of executed, who cares, I still win my town games."

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 11, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i do agree that the setup would have to be a random semi-open

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
you only win if you're alive when your team wins.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kashuno posted:

you only win if you're alive when your team wins.

doesn't solve the incentive for the mafia and instead makes everyone a survivor (and thus ultimately self-interested, which is BAD for the town).

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Posting in the chickencheese thread is one of my greatest accomplishments. Also Shine's chickencheese was the best one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

Posting in the chickencheese thread is one of my greatest accomplishments. Also Shine's chickencheese was the best one.

shine's was good but the one where the guy seasoned it with a shotgun blast of pepper and cooked it on his truck's motor was the best

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Captain Foo posted:

also omg multiverse mafia

i'd consider helping run that

just run quantum mafia again but make it split up into individual threads upon specific criteria(only a specific amount of universes left or something maybe)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

doesn't solve the incentive for the mafia and instead makes everyone a survivor (and thus ultimately self-interested, which is BAD for the town).

In the overall meta game town wins count for 1 point, scum wins count for 3 (or however many makes sense)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

In the overall meta game town wins count for 1 point, scum wins count for 3 (or however many makes sense)

this will do it, good work!

I would not play in it but I would watch attentively.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
If we're going to do a multiple games thing, it should be Iron Mod IMO

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

EccoRaven posted:

Running them one after another, rather than concurrently, might solve some of the incentive problems (since people would be playing with imperfect knowledge and thus it'd be harder to make strictly rational calculations about how best to win), but it'd lose a lot of the fun.

Just for the sake of discussion (and keeping math simple), let's assume a setup with 10 concurrent Mafia games each with 10 players. Each person is scum in 3 games as follows:

Player A is scum in games (1,2,3)
Player B is scum in games (4,5,6)
Player C is scum in games (7,8,9)
Player D is scum in games (10,1,2)
Player E is scum in games (3,4,5)
Player F is scum in games (6,7,8)
Player G is scum in games (9,10,1)
Player H is scum in games (2,3,4)
Player I is scum in games (5,6,7)
Player J is scum in games (8,9,10)

---

If we assume that everyone scumclaims which results in perfect town wins every time, it would mean that everyone would get 7/10 victories. I'd like to think that, given this, people would try to figure out how to beat that and try to get 8-10 wins - so while scumclaiming would be a way to Not Lose, I think it would be difficult to get the most wins.

Opopanax posted:

This is also a good idea.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Opopanax posted:

This would be a cool way to score a season of mafia. But getting the same players for games over and over would be tiring.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Have secret agents in the game to cause mischief and wrongdoing.

Solves all the problems I tells ya.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still like the idea a few of us were toying with way back when where you had two or three independent games, but actions in one could affect the others. I don't think I have it in me anymore but someone should figure that out

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Murmur Twin posted:

I'd like to think that, given this, people would try to figure out how to beat that and try to get 8-10 wins
but why? winning is a binary state, there isn't really a way to "win more" - either you win or you don't. If someone wants to walk home with 100% wins then that's on them, we shouldn't assume that player exists when designing the setup.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

but why? winning is a binary state, there isn't really a way to "win more" - either you win or you don't. If someone wants to walk home with 100% wins then that's on them, we shouldn't assume that player exists when designing the setup.

In most competitive games, winning is defined by having the most points. If everyone gets 7 points, they didn't win - they tied.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Murmur Twin posted:

In most competitive games, winning is defined by having the most points. If everyone gets 7 points, they didn't win - they tied.

Except that's not how Amoeba laid out the win condition from the start. Plus it sorta takes away from the "team" aspect of mafia.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

Except that's not how Amoeba laid out the win condition from the start. Plus it sorta takes away from the "team" aspect of mafia.

Hah, fair enough - I don't think I noticed the original condition mentioned when the game was presented.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Who genuinely cares about winning? I know I don't. I try because it's a fun mystery to solve/or a fun deception to win, but if it ever starts to feel like effort 'to win' I quickly lose any motivation.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Opopanax posted:

I still like the idea a few of us were toying with way back when where you had two or three independent games, but actions in one could affect the others. I don't think I have it in me anymore but someone should figure that out
maybe you should put everyone who signs up in a pool and then rng who gets put in what thread and then let people like cop people in other threads or like let people message people in other threads in the night or something

idk

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Who genuinely cares about winning? I know I don't. I try because it's a fun mystery to solve/or a fun deception to win, but if it ever starts to feel like effort 'to win' I quickly lose any motivation.

I must crush all of you under my boot and laugh while you weep.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

I must crush all of you under my boot and laugh while you weep.

Covertly Caesar Keane

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

If there's one thing you can count on this community to do it's immediately break every game mechanic you can come up with .

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So I spent yesterday catching up on season 3 of the genius, my plans today are season 4.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HiipFire posted:

maybe you should put everyone who signs up in a pool and then rng who gets put in what thread and then let people like cop people in other threads or like let people message people in other threads in the night or something

idk

Yeah MMM and I wanted to try to develop this a couple of (gasp) years ago. Might thought would be more having relations like lovers and the like, but whereas you wouldn't cause deaths you'd more cause people to gain powers, or disappear into other games. It may be fun but probably annoying to run and maybe even to play.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I picked up a bunch of OT because someone was supposed to take the last chunk of my shift, but that fell through and now I'm just working a long rear end day instead of playing Fallout 4 :argh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok for my erlang mafia simulator i have figured out how to get it to generate me a list of ?GAMESIZE (currently set to 13) players, randomly assign town/scum, and give the starting attributes for all players: suspicion, stubborn, engagement.

I'm still a long way off from getting it to do anything, but baby steps. Quote this post if you're not already on the list and want to be in the players pool.

Magnus Gallant
Captain Foo
Kashuno
TMMadman
LUTR
EccoRaven
CCKeane
diqnol
Pinterest Mom
Bottleknight
Rarity
DuckHuntDog
bowmore
Birdstrike
100YrsofAttitude
Allen Wren
Tremendous Taste
Authorman
busb
King Burgundy
Little Mac
Poison Mushroom

also let me know if you want to be taken off the list for some reason

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

ok for my erlang mafia simulator i have figured out how to get it to generate me a list of ?GAMESIZE (currently set to 13) players, randomly assign town/scum, and give the starting attributes for all players: suspicion, stubborn, engagement.

I'm still a long way off from getting it to do anything, but baby steps. Quote this post if you're not already on the list and want to be in the players pool.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Foo posted:

Also when you said erlang I thought you were talking about an erlang distribution for a minute and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Still need two more people for Darkest Dungeon Mafia!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just playing some favorite movie themes until dinner time and then probably afterwards too:

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/sa-wifom-omgus

Ok. It's just John Williams for now because I lack creativity and it's hilarious to play/choreograph the cat alongside it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chaoslord posted:

Also when you said erlang I thought you were talking about an erlang distribution for a minute and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

Nah i'm trying to sort of learn erlang by implementing a game of forums mafia as a bunch of interacting finite state machines

no i don't know why i'm doing any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES