Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

OwlFancier posted:

That mission is pretty brutal but if you lob a couple of molotovs at it you should be OK, also learn to sidestep its attacks. Also frag mines will cripple it quite well.

You can also hide in the bar across from the museum, the deathclaw is too large to get in the door, so sit there take your time and head poo poo the fucker to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

DD is an impossible standard to meet.

The Undertale dogs were cool too, though.

This was the year for dogs in videogames and Bethesda dropped the ball.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I am getting really annoyed with the crafting, I collect all my junk and throw it in my workbench (and as far as I can see armory/ weapons/ regular workbenches share the same inventory pool) but its still saying I don't have oil regardless of the multiple lighters and oil cans in the inventory list.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to scrap everything? Do i have to do it one at a time? How?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
I promise this isn't a threadshit, and my bad if it's been answered a million times already (the thread is really long): is this game worth playing right now, or is it best to wait for mods and patches? I've been looking forward to it but not so much so that I can't wait for 6 months.

The internet is going nuts with hate on this game, just trying to figure out if there's truth behind it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Your Computer posted:

Oh my god. If you're high and/or drunk your character will say different lines to NPCs :aaa: I was trying to persuade some NPCs into not killing each other and failed every time, so I popped some pills and drank a bottle of stout and instead of doing the "ahem" or "hi, excuse me" my character just went "haaay *giggle*" and it totally worked.

That's really cool and I am going to show up at that Minuteman Village preston wanted me to do and just being all *hic* yooo im here to help or whatever *vomit*

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

fadam posted:

The Undertale dogs were cool too, though.

BALL?! BALL?!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hello i am mr Asimov, i am shooting bandits because i am finding son.

My good hat keeps me warm and so makes me smarter (Ushanka = +1 int)

I find bear who is making poop

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Eldred posted:

The internet is going nuts with hate on this game, just trying to figure out if there's truth behind it.
There's a good game beneath a mountain of bethseda jank. It will be a great game with 6 months of patches and mods.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Eldred posted:

I promise this isn't a threadshit, and my bad if it's been answered a million times already (the thread is really long): is this game worth playing right now, or is it best to wait for mods and patches? I've been looking forward to it but not so much so that I can't wait for 6 months.

First question is would you be playing on PC or console? If PC, I'd say just buy it now. There are little glitches here and there but I haven't heard anyone talking about anything game-breaking, mostly just goofy, occasionally annoying stuff.

Consoles are apparently much worse and have bad FPS and loading time issues that may or may not get better with future patches.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but it really bothers me how the dog looks when stealthed. The way it turns down it ears and lowers its head really makes it look like a dog that's scared shitless and it makes me feel bad every time I stealth (which is literally always) Maybe post-apocalyptic dogs are different, but I've learned that those are the signs of a dog that is not having a good time :(

Eldred posted:

it's like literally every other Bethesda game, with some added cool new stuff. Did you like Oblivion? Fallout 3? Skyrim? New Vegas? It feels exactly like those games for better or for worse. For me, it's perfect. For some other people it's apparently really bad.

And of course, there are mods to look forward to in the future whether you buy it now or not.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So Damage Resistance caps out at 1000, so the 50 you get from Toughness is not very useful.

What does Energy Resistance cap out at? Trying to mentally figure out what Refractor translates to at +50. I mean Energy Weapons seem like a common enemy weapon type in endgame, but also that's a lot of investment into a pretty bad perk tree ( gently caress VATs ) if it ends up being something like 5% reduced damage from Energy Weapons.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

PantsBandit posted:

First question is would you be playing on PC or console? If PC, I'd say just buy it now. There are little glitches here and there but I haven't heard anyone talking about anything game-breaking, mostly just goofy, occasionally annoying stuff.

Consoles are apparently much worse and have bad FPS and loading time issues that may or may not get better with future patches.

Ye olde PC :) Thanks fellas, I think I'll return my pre-ordered copy for now and pick it up later.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm playing on console and while the complaints are real they are drastically overstated on the Internet. The game looks and plays nowhere close to as bad as people were making it out to.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Everyone should look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3se1rm/just_a_friendly_reminder_on_how_to_fire_from/

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Power Armour is for pussies, I dumped that poo poo after the first quest that gives it to you.

How am I gonna sneak around and steal poo poo in that thing? :cmon:

ps: gently caress the brotherhood of steel

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm playing on console and while the complaints are real they are drastically overstated on the Internet. The game looks and plays nowhere close to as bad as people were making it out to.

I know! I have the ps4 version and it's fine! It's good! Everybody's out here lying about it and I don't know why.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arkham Knight's PC realease really hosed people up.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

WHAT

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All your building makes mine look like crap.

Of course mines was lazily put together outta the lego blocks.

I think in my next building, i'll use less prefabs and use more wall/roof/floor panels as well as more of those unique half-parts.

Anyone find any good build sites with flat or interesting terrain?

Also how do light fixtures work? i've been trying to brighten up sanctuary but nothing works good. Another note is that spotlights aren't good on roofs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

holy wow

you'd think they'd tell someone about that at some point in the game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Biaga posted:

I am getting really annoyed with the crafting, I collect all my junk and throw it in my workbench (and as far as I can see armory/ weapons/ regular workbenches share the same inventory pool) but its still saying I don't have oil regardless of the multiple lighters and oil cans in the inventory list.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to scrap everything? Do i have to do it one at a time? How?

What are you trying to craft and where? Workbenches do not share the inventory (Unless you set up trade routes) so if you want to build at a location that's not your "main" settlement you got to bring stuff in your inventory.

If you're trying to craft something and know it is in that area's inventory - have you tried taking everything from the workbench then placed it back into the workbench?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also, nothing feels better than shooting a deathclaw with a single bullet form a pipe pistol and then leading them into like 6 mines and instagibbing him

:getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eonwe posted:

holy wow

Destiny does this too and never tells you (although it's completely useless in that game).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Eonwe posted:

holy wow

they seriously don't explain a ton of poo poo at all outside of load screen tips and its really weird

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

anyone figured out the general atomics galleria out? If you lie about being the supervisor they let you in, but i don't have the ID or the charisma to pass that dialogue check

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Planning ahead for a respec, do non-automatic weapons hold enough shots to make them viable? I love the shotgun, for example, but the 2-shots-before-reload is an annoyance and I think I read somewhere that the next best shotgun is an automatic one.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I mean, I want to preface this by saying Im having some good fun with this game, it's nice and all. I will say though, you know like, when a show has gone on for too long, and all of the original inspiration is dried up, and then some lower tier people come in and just write a bunch of episodes that go: "Arbitrary setup, catchphrase, catchphrase, catchphrase, catchphrase, catchphrase, catchphrase, catchphrase, resolution! ( catchphrase )"? Thats where it feels like we're at with this fallout.

Tired rear end "wheres walt? gotta find my boy!" story.
Fatman
Power Armor
Deathclaw
BoS
BoS
FEV
Vertibird
Deatclaw
Power Armor
FENWAY PAHHHK!!!!

I mean, yeah its fun to shoot things and watch limbs go, but, to me anyhow, Fallout was not a collection of "catchphrases" as such as it was a feeling, and I really don't feel like the two Bethesda games capture that feeling at all. Not the end of the world, but, just my honest take on it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

MisterBibs posted:

Planning ahead for a respec, do non-automatic weapons hold enough shots to make them viable? I love the shotgun, for example, but the 2-shots-before-reload is an annoyance and I think I read somewhere that the next best shotgun is an automatic one.

well its semi-automatic and its got about 10 shots.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

I think I love you.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can someone please help me understand how hacking terminals work because I can't figure it out :(

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

MisterBibs posted:

The energy weapons you find are generally semi-auto and have large-ish magazines. I think the first Laser Rifle I found had a 30 round mag.

keyframe posted:

Can someone please help me understand how hacking terminals work because I can't figure it out :(

When you activate a terminal a screen of gibberish will appear, inside the gibberish are usually short words. One of these words is the correct password and you have to guess it before you use up your remaining attempts (shown in a counter on the top of the screen, usually 3 or 4 total guesses). Let's say the password is 'FIRE' and you select the word 'TIRE' it will tell you "Incorrect password, 3 likenesses". This means the word you chose has 3 of the 4 correct letters of the password.

If you pick a word and it says "0 likenesses", the correct password uses none of the letters in the word you picked so you can adjust accordingly.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 11, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

keyframe posted:

One of the words is the answer. Every wrong answer tells you how close to the right one it is. For example, the right answer for one is DOGS, but you clicked COTS. It will tell you that it has two letters in common with the right answer. You then try COGS, since it has O and S. It tells you you have 3 in common. You then try BOGS which is 3 away again and then you click DOGS and get it. You can also highlight "dummy" data contained in brackets like (xhsdhfsdhfh) or {shsdfhasdfh23sdfa} to remove dummy answers or reset the number of tries you get.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The drum mags you can put on Pipe weapons hold 48 I think and those can be non-automatic.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Where do i disassemble random junk? I know i can just chuck them into the workshop and they get disassembled but can i just scrap poo poo straight away to see how much of resource x i have

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fizzil posted:

anyone figured out the general atomics galleria out? If you lie about being the supervisor they let you in, but i don't have the ID or the charisma to pass that dialogue check

If you talk to the general in the big statue you can turn everything on correctly and you get the big reward for the Opening Day Raffle which is $15 Pre-War Money. I guess the actual reward is that all of the shops and stuff actually start working..

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
For the people having problems finding the crafting materials they need, when at a station and the item you want selected, hit "T" this will mark ever junk item in the game world with a magnifying glass icon next to its name, if it contains the components you are looking for, also, just because you have the required materials doesn't mean you meet the perk requirement, when looking at the desired project on the right, there will be pictures of the perks needed, if there is a padlock on any of them you cannot build that item yet.

Illegal Username posted:

Where do i disassemble random junk? I know i can just chuck them into the workshop and they get disassembled but can i just scrap poo poo straight away to see how much of resource x i have

Drop the stuff you want to salvage on the ground, then while in workshop mode use the scrap command, which is "R" then "E" by default when looking at the item you want to scrap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

It's crazy how much cooler and better D.D was than this dog.

But D.D isn't a dog, he's a wolf!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

Oh my god. If you're high and/or drunk your character will say different lines to NPCs :aaa: I was trying to persuade some NPCs into not killing each other and failed every time, so I popped some pills and drank a bottle of stout and instead of doing the "ahem" or "hi, excuse me" my character just went "haaay *giggle*" and it totally worked.

I was already planning on roleplaying an alcoholic but god drat this just cemented it.

Malkavian runs for the win!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So Damage Resistance caps out at 1000, so the 50 you get from Toughness is not very useful.

What does Energy Resistance cap out at? Trying to mentally figure out what Refractor translates to at +50. I mean Energy Weapons seem like a common enemy weapon type in endgame, but also that's a lot of investment into a pretty bad perk tree ( gently caress VATs ) if it ends up being something like 5% reduced damage from Energy Weapons.

Even though it's terrible for game balance, I hope that damage/energy resistance are useless so that I can just wear whatever clothes I want and not have to care. I didn't make Preston give me his sweet jacket just to have it sit in my inventory while I roll around with pieces of cars attached to me.

(I actually feel a little bit guilty not going for the full wasteland look, but I'm roleplaying Leonard "Bones" McCoy here. Well, a version of him who has no idea how to set his phaser to stun.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

For the people having problems finding the crafting materials they need, when at a station and the item you want selected, hit "T" this will mark ever junk item in the game world with a magnifying glass icon next to its name, if it contains the components you are looking for

Neat! You wouldn't know how to do this on a PS4 would you?

• Locked thread