Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

Ah, I see, you derive your enjoyment from being smug about playing hard difficulties.

No I think cata is the real game difficulty. Oranges just allow the player to actually be able to play on it, the rest of difficulties and gear is only there to give the illusion of progression/full game.

Wafflecopper posted:

Christ you're a terrible poster

you're just jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Christ you're a terrible poster

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heh, looks like some of you guys just haven't experienced ratgame on the real difficulty for hardcore players. What does it feel like to realize this whole time you thought you were killing rats and having fun...when you were actually playing a hollow and watered-down game for lesser players?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can enjoy the game on what difficulty you like, but don't kid yourself into thinking that cataclysm isn't the intended difficulty for the game.

You can do that, but everyone knows that ignore is for little babbys that can't handle opposing opinions.
vvv

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just put him on your ignore list and stop responding to him.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You sound like a WOW raider Snatch Duster, lemme peep your gear score bro. Where dem epics at?

You know what the intended difficulty is? It's the difficulty that lets me have fun with people not like you.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Pain posted:

You sound like a WOW raider Snatch Duster, lemme peep your gear score bro. Where dem epics at?

You know what the intended difficulty is? It's the difficulty that lets me have fun with people not like you.

Lol k guy. I never played wow raids. Enjoy the game on whatever difficulty you like, but don't go bitching about getting greens in the thread when you play on hard.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

Lol k guy. I never played wow raids. Enjoy the game on whatever difficulty you like, but don't go bitching about getting greens in the thread when you play on hard.

i get oranges on hard?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Snatch Duster posted:

You can enjoy the game on what difficulty you like, but don't kid yourself into thinking that cataclysm isn't the intended difficulty for the game.

You can do that, but everyone knows that ignore is for little babbys that can't handle opposing opinions.
vvv

So if Cataclysm is the 'intended' difficulty, what is the difficulty for actual, awesome as gently caress, hard as nails goons like you and me? Or is this game only for a few people?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

rezatahs posted:

The only friendly fire that can really screw you on Nightmare+ is bombs and burn damage. The guns and bows do such a tiny fraction it's really not a factor.

Hagbane, incidentally, does an hilariously high amount of friendly fire damage if they stand in your gas cloud.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
speaking of the hagbane they said it got some buffs today, wonder if that made it somewhat more than useless

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

So if Cataclysm is the 'intended' difficulty, what is the difficulty for actual, awesome as gently caress, hard as nails goons like you and me? Or is this game only for a few people?

Cata with whites, duh. Guess that lets him out though.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I hope this patch cuts down the sheer number of Horn of Magnus games clogging up the list. But what happens when terrible players can no longer exploit? Will they git gud, or quit in exasperation?? Only time will tell.

And that change to the Fireball staff :cry: the AoE/penetrate effect was so good for mowing down hallways full of rats. RIP.

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 11, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Cata is still extremely hard. I never said it was easy. Just possible to actually do with oranges, its almost required to even attempt.

Slave rats take like 3 - 4 hits with orange weapons, 5 - 7 with greens/blues.

We play on cata because thats the end. There is nothing else left after that. Its the intended difficulty where you learn the games mechanics to beat the game. Its the end of the learning curve. Some people enjoy staying in the middle, which is fine, but don't pretend there is anything left after cata.

In cata you have to learn when to dodge verse block verse push. Otherwise you fail and lose repeatedly, having probably zero fun. But when you do pull off that two grim three tome enemy below cata run, its loving great.

That is why we exploited for the oranges, so we can actually play the final difficulty and learn how to win on it. If you exploit just for loot because you want that perfect weapon, then that is silly. I also think its silly to play ramparts or sewers repeatedly for a chance to get loot, and then complain in the thread about getting poo poo loot.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Cata is still extremely hard. I never said it was easy. Just possible to actually do with oranges, its almost required to even attempt.

We play on cata because thats the end. There is nothing else left after that. Its the intended difficulty where you learn the games mechanics to beat the game. Its the end of the learning curve. Some people enjoy staying in the middle, which is fine, but don't pretend there is anything left after cata.

In cata you have to learn when to dodge verse block verse push. Otherwise you fail and lose repeatedly, having probably zero fun. But when you do pull off that two grim three tome enemy below cata run, its loving great.

That is why we exploited for the oranges, so we can actually play the final difficulty and learn how to win on it. If you exploit just for loot because you want that perfect weapon, then that is silly. I also think its silly to play ramparts or sewers repeatedly for a chance to get loot, and then complain in the thread about getting poo poo loot.

There is stuff after Cataclysm... did you not read the DLC announcement? Also, this isn't the 90s, you don't 'beat' games anymore.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

There is stuff after Cataclysm... did you not read the DLC announcement? Also, this isn't the 90s, you don't 'beat' games anymore.

Sure you do, we repeatedly beat games now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Anyone who thinks that the loot system is solely what causes people to exploit and cheat probably never played L4D. People would abuse AI glitches and pathing problems and take the path of least resistance in both L4D1 and L4D2 constantly and those games had no loot at all.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Anyone who thinks that the loot system is solely what causes people to exploit and cheat probably never played L4D. People would abuse AI glitches and pathing problems and take the path of least resistance in both L4D1 and L4D2 constantly and those games had no loot at all.

Now I'm just sad. I didn't play L4D much, the combat felt real limp, so I didn't run across any of that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I like the way he can't spell cataclysm so he just says "cata".

Or maybe he doesn't have time to write out full words because he's too busy playing on the games real intended difficulty which is only playable with all the wicked cool end game loot he has.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I like the way he can't spell cataclysm so he just says "cata".

Or maybe he doesn't have time to write out full words because he's too busy playing on the games real intended difficulty which is only playable with all the wicked cool end game loot he has.

He's too busy cheating at White Rat so he can get enough gear to ONE DAY play the game at the real, proper, intended difficulty for badass awesome wicked cool people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The difficulty the developer intended you to play is the one locked behind hours of self-imposed grinding an exploit for gear to artificially make it possible (oh but the gear is pointless somehow).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Snatch Duster posted:

Just using your post to soap box the dumb idealogy of goons refusing to exploit then complain they can't do nightmare or keep getting poo poo gear.

Gear is pointless, but quality gear makes playing on nightmare/cata possible.

If you aren't having fun killing rats with white weapons, I doubt you'll have fun killing rats with orange ones.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The difficulty the developer intended you to play is the one locked behind hours of self-imposed grinding an exploit for gear to artificially make it possible (oh but the gear is pointless somehow).

Actually, the really, real, realist difficulty of the game isn't in yet, because obviously it has to be cataclysm in realism mode. :smugbert:

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Actually, the really, real, realist difficulty of the game isn't in yet, because obviously it has to be cataclysm in realism mode. :smugbert:

got some 'sploitin to do!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rezatahs posted:

got some 'sploitin to do!

Just do it with whites!

No I'm kidding, clearly ramping up the hits to kill in this way makes it impossible, but ramping it up this other way is the only real way to play.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kamikaze Raider posted:

That does sound like fun.

Lot of goons ITT mad about how people enjoy video games.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you aren't having fun killing rats with white weapons, I doubt you'll have fun killing rats with orange ones.

That lasted about 20 minutes then my group and I enjoy trying to beat the game on cata because its extremely. Guess what, we still kill rats even on that difficulty. :ssh:

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 11, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
You don't beat this game, you beat the rats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So should I buy this game or not, I'm confused

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Mr E posted:

This is their new trailer if you didn't see my post above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U

Its a very good and well done L4D / Killing floor with incentives to keep playing. Not to mention they're adding more DLC free and premium. So the game is only going to grow.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr E posted:

Do you like the idea of hitting a bunch of rear end in a top hat rats with a hammer?

If yes, this game is for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snatch Duster posted:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

This whole argument just makes me want to get an orange Master Crafted blunderbuss and take it into easy.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gimnbo posted:

This whole argument just makes me want to get an orange Master Crafted blunderbuss and take it into easy.

Not really an argument imo. I am just stating an opinion. I've done that to help out babby goons learning the game and just to gently caress around.

Just a bunch of goons being jealous or mad that there are people who enjoy the game in a different way than them.

These goons are the kids making sand castles next to the Ocean, and the waves sometimes gently caress their castles up. I'm the dumb human being kid that suggest we move further ahead so we can actually make a castle without it getting ruin, but instead they refuse and throw sand cover dog poo poo instead. Goons love poo poo.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

I'd really like to see a grudgeraker/blunderbuss with Killing Blow (not sure if available on ranged) and Penetration, and watch a whole swarm of rats get turned into bloody mist...

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

I'd really like to see a grudgeraker/blunderbuss with Killing Blow (not sure if available on ranged) and Penetration, and watch a whole swarm of rats get turned into bloody mist...

I haven't seen it or heard about it, but that would be p sick. Switft bow would finally have a use.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
"Anyone who disagrees with my opinion is mad or jealous of my amazing skills, and I should be free to state my dumb opinion about the "true way" that the devs intended the game to be played without being called dumb or mad despite having just stated my opinion as a fact. Also I still can't spell cataclysm."

- Snatch Duster 2015

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I got an orange Two Elf Swords, with (1-3% heroic killing blow anything on a charged attack). That seems like a really low percentage. Do they count as hitting multiple times per swing, or something? I tried them and can't tell if one big swingy attack counts for one 1% chance or multiple 1% chances. Also I still only have white bows, and always play as the Wizard, and I'm annoyed that I didn't get an orange spell stick or something useful.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

"Anyone who disagrees with my opinion is mad or jealous of my amazing skills, and I should be free to state my dumb opinion about the "true way" that the devs intended the game to be played without being called dumb or mad despite having just stated my opinion as a fact. Also I still can't spell cataclysm."

- Snatch Duster 2015

bloo bloo i'm poo poo eating goon who enjoys playing games on baby tier and complaining about loot a bloo bloo

- Kitchner 2015

StringOfLetters posted:

I got an orange Two Elf Swords, with (1-3% heroic killing blow anything on a charged attack). That seems like a really low percentage. Do they count as hitting multiple times per swing, or something? I tried them and can't tell if one big swingy attack counts for one 1% chance or multiple 1% chances. Also I still only have white bows, and always play as the Wizard, and I'm annoyed that I didn't get an orange spell stick or something useful.

It is but when everyone in the party has a melee weapon able to do this, it is extremely helpful. Thats how we did wheat and chaff on cata, and pretty much most of the maps really. Its nice to side step taking a lot of extra damage by getting lucky with early rat ogre kill.

I would totally play rats and prioritize hook rats. It would be loving sweet. Snatching goons being dumb would be amazing.
vvvv

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 11, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Filthy snatch rat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snatch Duster posted:

Not really an argument imo. I am just stating an opinion. I've done that to help out babby goons learning the game and just to gently caress around.

Just a bunch of goons being jealous or mad that there are people who enjoy the game in a different way than them.

These goons are the kids making sand castles next to the Ocean, and the waves sometimes gently caress their castles up. I'm the dumb human being kid that suggest we move further ahead so we can actually make a castle without it getting ruin, but instead they refuse and throw sand cover dog poo poo instead. Goons love poo poo.

• Locked thread