Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did this have to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I dont get it.

He used the power of his big toe to deliver a spinning punch?

Or was that why he was fighting badly? Something about his toe?

You know what? Whatever. Even Bleach is better at this point.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
...da gently caress did I just read? Did this turn into Looney Toons at some point?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That was the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever read.

You can't rotate your entire body weight through your toe to gain momentum. You simply can't.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Nilbop posted:

That was the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever read.

You can't rotate your entire body weight through your toe to gain momentum. You simply can't.

Maybe you can't, but Takamura Mamoru can do anything.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
And to think, it started out so well.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought Wooli's jumprope poo poo was bullshit but this is just..

Wow you somehow manage to make a Takamura fight went from great to bullshit at the end.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That fight was so good and then it devolves into that.

If you can't think of a proper way out of a situation like that, don't loving write the character into it. Should've just had it end once Takamura started taking the upperhand and that would've been a satisfying conclusion, because the fight was written really well up until this point.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Morikawa's just sitting there watching TV, thinking of a way to end this fight.

Then an episode of Looney Toons comes on with the Tasmanian Devil...

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Takamura won by turning into a Beyblade.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

spinning's a good trick

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't....I don't even.....

:negative:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I want to be more distraught at this conclusion, but I can't anymore. I just can't. Morikawa simply broke me.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I can't stop laughing, I knew everyone would enjoy it!

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

pnumoman posted:

I want to be more distraught at this conclusion, but I can't anymore. I just can't. Morikawa simply broke me.
I'm cool with Ippo and Itagaki losing occasionally. lovely as this fight was, Takamura had to win.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Illustrations of people's faces looking like they get hit by pneumatic jackhammers owns. :colbert: illustrations of a big toe getting ripped to shreds nail and all is just :gonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm cool with Ippo and Itagaki losing occasionally. lovely as this fight was, Takamura had to win.

But not like this.

Not like this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

takamura should have just started throwing telephone pole punches too and just break that dudes jaw

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002
I think it would've been fine if the cries of his gym-mates somehow gave him the strength he needed to pull through. Toe twirl though? :getout:

Maybe we just don't remember his teaching Ippo this well or fondly enough? I don't remember it at all

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Like the thing that gets me is how he really wrote himself into a corner. Like yea Taka has to win but when you put him against poo poo like that and then make the emphasis that his leg is loving up, kinda hard to get out of that.

Shoulda went some other bullshit like his detached retina and he just takes a lucky blind swing to knock Bison out.

Toe fisher price swirl was just...

no.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's something rather meta about that. Takamura was literally in a corner and he got out of it by doing something so utterly ridiculous. I love it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Like the thing that gets me is how he really wrote himself into a corner. Like yea Taka has to win but when you put him against poo poo like that and then make the emphasis that his leg is loving up, kinda hard to get out of that.

I think you'll find it is incredibly easy to write your protagonists winning when you allow them to take 100 punches for every 1 they land, and this is more or less an even fight. If your audience believes that a dude can be mercilessly pummeled for 3-5 chapters before they land a single punch and stagger their opponent, then it doesn't matter what else you do. Taka could literally have his head punched off of his body and still win at this point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When they first showed Takamura's foot I was hoping he was going to kick his opponent and that it would just be played off just like Woli's rope-jumping.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I thought the whole "his leg is gone" thing just before the turnaround was a feint to make Bison lower his guard, but nope. Takamura can activate Top Spin even with one blind eye and broken legs.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well, read it again a bit closer and with less care about imaginary boxing matches, and, contrary to the art with all those spin lines, he doesn't actually go Tazmanian Devil. He just uses his toe strength to rotate his upper body, like, 90 degrees, fast enough to gain enough strength to land a punch. As in a short quick pivot using his big toe. And that is an actual real thing, and yes if your big toe is worse you are a worse runner, go google "big toe training".

The problem with this chapter is the ART is poo poo and makes him look like a beyblade, the WRITING is poo poo in that that as usual he just kind of makes it up out of nowhere in the last minute of the match with no foreshadowing, and finally somehow that one punch was stronger than the opponents ten thousand punches. What he actually did though, is based on a real martial arts thing. (...if you ignore the fact that his legs were completely dead!!)

It is no more magic/bullshit than the Dempsey Roll or anything else in this series.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I see Takamura has been training with Gyro Zeppelli

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

i think comparing Ippo in its current state to Steel Ball Run is some kind of loving crime

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

three new chapters out, takamura is still the best

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Holy loving poo poo Takamura is the loving best. I was cackling after reading that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

takamuras huge....

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've been out of the loop for a year plus. Is there going to be more anime?

Alternately, anyone know approximately where to pick up the manga for where the anime left off? Lots of ground to cover, I know.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are you sure that's wise?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 5, 2016

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'll skim it.

e: Never mind. The OP is good.

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
oh takamura you rapist scamp.

is this finally the mythical "ippo gets some" arc?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lamebot posted:

oh takamura you rapist scamp.

is this finally the mythical "ippo gets some" arc?
Kumi: I don't really like you boxing since you get beaten up so much.
Ippo: Finally, my motivation. Kumi, I'll prove to you how rad it is to get beaten to the point of brain damage repeatedly!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That's what's she counting on. She has a secretly has a savior complex and will get off on wheeling around a vegetable for several decades.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Sendo is much better at this romance thing than Ippo. Last chapter love interest gets introduced, this chapter Sendo invites her to live with him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, Ippo's anxieties over how many times he's had his head rocked is ongoing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Ippo's anxieties over how many times he's had his head rocked is ongoing.

Given how many times he's had his head beaten to a pulp, he might as well keep going, the damage has likely already been done.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just caught up on the manga/thread from the end of the Alfredo fight, Ippo sucks Takamura still pretty cool etc...

I still give this manga a little bit of a pass for nostalgia, and for panels like this:

I like how he's instantly covered in sweat like he's in the middle of a match :xd: