Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Is that the key? Is the Tesla key a tiny model of the car it unlocks?

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RideTheSpiral posted:

well brace yourself for this

well that certainly isn't theft deterrance

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Why does the car have a picture of itself inside itself?

it's called a selfie, welcome to 2015

hth

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

boom boom boom posted:

Is that the key? Is the Tesla key a tiny model of the car it unlocks?

It's the climate control adjuster that you insert in an orifice for optimal results

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

also, fuckin lol at people who think Tesla has "bad design"

like really lmao, talk about sour grapes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
the worst part of tesla is that you ahve to access a popup menu to change the fan.

tesla has horrible design, i almost crashed the drat thing the first time drivin git because of the tiny fingernail-sized buttons and poo poo used for basic functions like turning on the defogger.

my friend bought one when they first came out and the giant touchscreen would actually crash and become unusuable and it took like 2 visits for them to fix this. also the door handles broke once too.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

also, fuckin lol at people who think Tesla has "bad design"

like really lmao, talk about sour grapes

i couldnt get the door open because it has no door handles and the key has no button

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

RideTheSpiral posted:

i couldnt get the door open because it has no door handles and the key has no button

You have to tap the little car's roof a couple times. I only know this because I read an article where the author didn't know how to pop the door handles out manually if they didn't come out automatically either. Why this is better than a normal key fob or normal door handles that just unlock if you have the key in your pocket wasn't covered in the article

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

no, you couldnt get the door open because youre retarded

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

itt I defend lovely automobiles i could never afford anyway because i am a stupid goony gently caress

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Anything beyond 'Pull handle, open door' is, in fact, bad design.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

yea ok

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
this thread is breaking my heart because teslas, the idea of teslas, seeing them on the streets, and the giant touch screen used to make me happy for the future

now i realize i really need to testdrive one because it may not be very intuitively designed... i dont know what to think :(

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i love to drive around in a giant ipad

-some goon

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

You have to tap the little car's roof a couple times. I only know this because I read an article where the author didn't know how to pop the door handles out manually if they didn't come out automatically either. Why this is better than a normal key fob or normal door handles that just unlock if you have the key in your pocket wasn't covered in the article

also because of the power drain from the various touch sensors if you leave your tesla parked for too long without plugging it in, like at an airport, it will run out of batteries

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

RideTheSpiral posted:

i love to drive around in a giant ipad

-some goon

you're an ipad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

XYZ posted:

Unless it is intuitively obvious or properly labelled.

Does the little Tesla key have an even smaller tesla-shaped key that opens it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XYZ posted:

Think again.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Think again.

Ok you got me there

smart catte

XYZ fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 11, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

Think again.

dayum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaztQK9If0

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Maybe lock the door or something?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teslas look cool tho

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Machine control panel in facility A ("green board" scheme):
Green light: ON/RUNNING
Red light: OFF

Machine control panel in facility B ("power industry" scheme):
Green light: OFF
Red light: ON/RUNNING

Also a really bad design to me is a control screen that has temperature measurements for different things in Fahrenheit and Centigrade. :psyduck:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Mange Mite posted:

also because of the power drain from the various touch sensors if you leave your tesla parked for too long without plugging it in, like at an airport, it will run out of batteries

I looked this up, because lol, but apparently it's pretty unlikely and under most conditions it'll just lose 1, maybe 2, percent battery per day.

That still kind of sucks, but you're probably better off just taking a cab somewhere instead of paying for parking for a month anyway

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
If bars would just put in separate rooms for quickies and doing cocaine then the bathrooms would not be as full.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Veskit posted:

Speaking of bad bathroom designs this is my house. The tile floor is the bathroom.

If you notice, the light fixture, that is the light to the bathroom itself, so if you wanted to, you can shut the light off on the person pooping or showering and they don't have to go through a bathroom door, but another door to get to the light to turn it back on. :wtc:

This is from a few pages ago, but why hasn't someone just cut a hole in the bathroom wall and moved the light switch?

edit: it would take like 30 minutes all said and done

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 11, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
There are only two needed AC settings Max cold and max heat

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

My car has Climate Control, but what it should really be is Max Hot or Max Cold.

In the fall, say, if I set the temp for 68°F, it will blast out the hottest heat imaginable until it decides the car has reached 68°F. Then it will put out comfortable air unless I put the window down or something that causes it to drop a good bit below 68°F, at which point it bombards you with full hot air again.

Meanwhile, I also have an old pickup with the knob that has the usual temperature gradient, blue to red. Just put it in the blue, about halfway to the red, and be comfortable at all times except the coldest winter days and the hottest summer days.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 11, 2015

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I think instead of touchscreens they should just replace car controls with neat voice commands, what do you guys think

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

I think instead of touchscreens they should just replace car controls with neat voice commands, what do you guys think

ask bob lutz

We then had a lively discussion about Buick. Here, the “experts” had decided that the brand’s focus would cater to the needs of the elderly. Toward this end, a system called “Quiet Servant” was conjured up. To my amazement, I was shown an interior mock-up featuring no instrument panel and no visible controls whatsoever. It was to be the world’s first car operated entirely by voice command. Speed, gas level, and other relevant information were projected on the windshield.

“Folks,” I said, “this is nuts!”

“No, no!” they insisted. They had shown a video to older people, where the fictitious driver merely said “headlights” or “left turn signal” or “radio” and the car instantly delivered. And, at the end of the video, 75 percent had expressed a strong preference for this miraculous system. But I’d learned to be skeptical of research in which subjects are shown an ideal, simplified version of a new technology where everything just works. Real life never quite lives up to the fantasy. Still, I agreed to drive a prototype.

I will never forget that drive through downtown Milford, Michigan, and the engineer sitting next to me probably won’t forget it either. At his urging, I asked for “more cold air.” “No, no!” he said. “You have to scroll verbally! First say ‘climate control.’ When the car says ‘climate control,’ you say ‘blower.’ When the car repeats ‘blower,’ you say ‘up one.’ Same with temperature.” Of course, it wasn’t that easy, and a comedy of errors ensued. I did the best I could, trying to remember the sequence. So fixated did I become with the marvels of voice input technology that I casually cruised through two red lights, nearly causing an accident each time.

The new system officially died the next morning. I announced it to the Buick team in person. One earnest young woman almost broke out in tears, seeing the whole purpose of the last two years of her life float away.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Think again.

there is a low-tech solution to this called a lock

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

nigga crab pollock posted:

oh a Bad Saab Thing

this is the headlight switch for the 1st gen saab 9-3. Looks p simple with some weird middle option right?

car has daytime running lights that always stay on. nothing happens when you turn the knob. if it is in the off position you can't turn your high beams on. the top 2 options are basically just 'on' except if its in the top one you can trigger a parking lamp for a few minutes by holding the high beam switch down (to walk to your door i guess?)

why that poo poo doesnt just happen without prompt and there isnt a switch there in the first place is beyond me. they included a switch that only has a function when daytime running lights are off, which you have to pull a fuse to disable :psyduck:

i can' teven understand really why there is the option to turn off headlights ever, unless you are driving a police car

headlights aren't just so you can see but so you can be seen

they should never be allowed to go off

think of all the times you drive by idiots at dawn or dusk who don't have their headlights on because they can see, but they are invisible to you; or during rain, who don't turn their lights on

weeeee the option to commit crimes!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Aralan posted:

"the future"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the future is an unremitting and unquestionable good you dweeb

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Think again.

i live in the city, so this ia genuine concern in some areas

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
tesla isn't unique in having a giant screen instead of tactile buttons you can use without looking at

or having silly keys and door handles

most fancy cars have something like that, especially if they're german.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Mange Mite posted:

“Quiet Servant” .

I don't know why I'm surprised that someone actually thought that was a great idea, but I am

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Aralan posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised that someone actually thought that was a great idea, but I am

our obsession with "the future" has been ongoing since at least world war 2, though more realistically since the end of the 19th century

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

too bad EPCOT never panned out, it woulda been a gorgeous bruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Quiet Servant was in a concept car in 2001. Voice recognition is hilariously squirrelly now, I can't even imagine how bad it was to try and accomplish anything in that car

• Locked thread