Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Whorelord posted:

this and africans

walking around shirtless in the middle of the Sahara is a catastrophically bad idea

Paradox please release a better African unit models DLC. Pretty please. The whole spearchucker thing is really embarrassing. In the US in particular it's really appalling. It's "maybe I shouldn't get this game" appalling. This may not be your perception since you're not from the US, but as a north american I know how bad it looks and it looks really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Need more adviser portraits for various cultures too, including African.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I don't know how Paradox allocates staff but is it possible their artists are pretty busy on Stellaris / HOI4 content at the moment so they aren't doing as much of that type of DLC?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've put a lot of hours into this game, but I feel that that my skill level has kind of plateaued. Can you advise anything I can watch or read in order to get good?

Also, are monarch traits totally random, or is that something that I can influence?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, are monarch traits totally random, or is that something that I can influence?

Random for monarchies, though if you end up in a regency you can sometimes get an event that will boost one of your ruler's stats once he or she assumes the throne. Rarely when you have a kid, you get an event letting you pick between three different really good stat options. Also I think sometimes when your heir dies you get to pick between a couple options for your new heir.

For most republics, you have a choice every election between three candidates, each of whom has a 4 in one stat and a 1 in the other two. Each time you re-elect that person, at a cost of 10 Republican Tradition, they gain 1 to each stat. You don't lose RT if you don't re-elect.

It works somewhat differently for the Dutch Republic. You elect a new dude each time (for the most part - you can end up with lifetime tenure if the Orangists get too much influence), choosing between two candidates, each of whom has apparently random stats. When I played a Netherlands game the guys always seemed to have good stats though, so I think Dutch Republic might have some sort of "random plus" thing going on.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Well this just got interesting.

Maybe I'll finally complete a WC run, gimmick Catholic Ottoman though it may be.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rakthar posted:

I don't know how Paradox allocates staff but is it possible their artists are pretty busy on Stellaris / HOI4 content at the moment so they aren't doing as much of that type of DLC?
Those models are literally offensive. They would be like producing Jewish advisor portraits that look like this:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dibujante posted:

Those models are literally offensive. They would be like producing Jewish advisor portraits that look like this:

I don't disagree it's out there by NA cultural standards. I was just thinking that they may allocate artists time for unit / advisor packs and time them with DLC releases and in this case they may not have had spare artist time. Not trying to make excuses for the state of the current portraits.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rakthar posted:

I don't disagree it's out there by NA cultural standards. I was just thinking that they may allocate artists time for unit / advisor packs and time them with DLC releases and in this case they may not have had spare artist time. Not trying to make excuses for the state of the current portraits.

The game has been out a lot longer than this logic would make sense for.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Someone please tell me which Spice Islands province I have to control to finish "trade hegemon", can't seem to find a province called "Malacca" even with the search command or googling the achievement, as I don't know which province has the number 596.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skipThings posted:

Someone please tell me which Spice Islands province I have to control to finish "trade hegemon", can't seem to find a province called "Malacca" even with the search command or googling the achievement, as I don't know which province has the number 596.

Melaka. It's a center of trade, the capital of the province is called Malacca.

Make sure you're western and your capitol is in Europe.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Fixing african unit models should be a free and mandatory patch, just because of how bad they are presently.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Node posted:

Melaka. It's a center of trade, the capital of the province is called Malacca.

Make sure you're western and your capitol is in Europe.

I'm Genoa and still very much in Europe, thank you kind poster

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Dibujante posted:

Fixing african unit models should be a free and mandatory patch, just because of how bad they are presently.

You have to be a hit at parties

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the story on African units? I've got like 300 hours in this game and I've never noticed them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bold Robot posted:

What's the story on African units? I've got like 300 hours in this game and I've never noticed them.

Tumblr generation. It's people getting upset just for the sake of getting upset.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dibujante posted:

And yet you post on a website that regularly uses that image for jokes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dibujante posted:

Paradox please release a better African unit models DLC. Pretty please. The whole spearchucker thing is really embarrassing. In the US in particular it's really appalling. It's "maybe I shouldn't get this game" appalling. This may not be your perception since you're not from the US, but as a north american I know how bad it looks and it looks really bad.

Wow, it's been a while since I've last read something this hilariously ignorant and arrogant. Nice job.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can someone post a screenshot cause I'm at work and would like to think about this computer game instead of mortgages.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A warrior with a spear is representing warriors with spears? I'm confused.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Star posted:

This was a great tips, although I slightly modified it. I went south and conquered/vasallized all the eastern African nations, colonized the cape and worked my way north, eating Kongo. After that I started to colonize the Indian sea so as to be sure that the Europeans weren't going to blitz Asia. After that I just waited until the Ottomans were in a war - while building a huge galley fleet, as someone else in the thread suggested - and then I started taking bites of them. After I unlocked the quantity tree it was pretty much just a matter of time until I made my way to Constantinople. My inflation is huge though, since I have crazy amounts of gold provinces. Anyhow, Prester John completed :toot:

Glad it worked out for you, I lucked into when I played as Ethiopia and asked myself 'How best can I maximize my income?'. Unfortunately, now whenever I play anyone in South or SE Asia I just do the same thing and it's a bit tedious.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm rounding 1700 on my Vijay->Bharat game, and now I'm thinking about who I'm gonna be playing on my next run through. I was wondering though, does anyone ever start on a year other than 1444? A lot of the time I see only suggestions for the earliest possible starts. How does it affect your strategy starting later?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sokrateez posted:

So I'm rounding 1700 on my Vijay->Bharat game, and now I'm thinking about who I'm gonna be playing on my next run through. I was wondering though, does anyone ever start on a year other than 1444? A lot of the time I see only suggestions for the earliest possible starts. How does it affect your strategy starting later?

In over 1000 hours I never have. That's crazy talk.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started in 1776 for the US achievement, does that count? :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Tumblr generation. It's people getting upset just for the sake of getting upset.

No, white people have been panicking over tiny inconsequentially-racist details like this one since long before the "Tumblr generation" even existed

And I don't even think that people are upset about it, they're just pointing out how it's weird that there's so much diversity in the European unit models yet all of the African countries apparently field Zulu warriors.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I hope no one in here has seen Zulu :ohdear:

e: wow I really need to refresh pages more often

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
The only reason I've actually started a game on a different date was for the USA achievement. I've flipped through the years once or twice though just to see how borders move around.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's so upsetting to me that a bunch of tribesmen with spears get portrayed in the game as tribesmen, with spears. If anything the Tech 2 African graphic is retarded because the guy learned what shirts are but not shoes.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

You have to be a hit at parties

No, people appreciate my insightful social commentary

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't either, mostly because I never zoom far enough in to be able to meaningfully discern unit sprites.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
recommendation for a small german power (i.e. not bohemia, brandenburg, austria, possibly not bavaria or saxony though if i'm mistaken on the difficulty of those let me know) that's a fun challenge for uniting germany?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

West African units are bare-chested spearmen:

These are Mali's starting graphics. Malian soldiers wore chainmail, like basically every civilization that has ever had access to iron.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
IM MAD NOW

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
alternatively, how difficult would a "non-elector OPM -> HRE" game be? i would get a kick out of Emporer Saxe-Lauenberg

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It's so upsetting to me that a bunch of tribesmen with spears get portrayed in the game as tribesmen, with spears.

That's the point though; the game portrays many non-tribal societies in Africa as tribal societies

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, it's about 1515 and I've vassalized Castille and am feeding Aragon to them. So far England hasn't colonized, what's the easiest way to get up there and start beating on them? A no-cb vassalization of the last irish minor?

I'm Portugal, btw. Can't post a picture because phone posting.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Alright, it's about 1515 and I've vassalized Castille and am feeding Aragon to them. So far England hasn't colonized, what's the easiest way to get up there and start beating on them? A no-cb vassalization of the last irish minor?

I'm Portugal, btw. Can't post a picture because phone posting.

Colonialism CB once they have a colony next to yours

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That's the point though; the game portrays many non-tribal societies in Africa as tribal societies

False. All Africans were and are primitive tribes. Now let me tell you about how political correctness is ruining are country.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how the Africa-wide gunpowder infantry is just a dude in a t-shirt with a hunting rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Colonialism CB once they have a colony next to yours

I want to stop them from colonizing before they start.

• Locked thread