Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I admit I have no idea how people are playing on Survival at all. I'm on Hard and still get owned pretty hard if I enter an actual firefight. Is everyone just doing a full stealth build with silenced weapons or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

So I found a way up on top of one of the highways going over the urban areas east of Diamond city. I see an interesting looking terrace I can reach from there, jump over to it, and have a look around when I suddenly hear a familiar roar behind me.

:stonk:

lol

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've noticed that dogmeat gives a sad whimper when inspecting people in this one area, but npc traders from outside the area result in a playful bark, I think dogmeat can detect synths.

Dogmeat gets on my nerves.. His idle sounds just sound like there's something wrong all the time. Also, I hate his click-clack walk sound. It reminds me too much of my own dogs on hardwood flooring and it grates on me.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

So I found a way up on top of one of the highways going over the urban areas east of Diamond city. I see an interesting looking terrace I can reach from there, jump over to it, and have a look around when I suddenly hear a familiar roar behind me.

:stonk:

shoot at it until it dies to get an epic purp

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
legendary deathclaws better drop like a gun that kills everything in the entire game world

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's like a loving Goon trying to do standup.

Yep. That is the point. He's a tremendously socially awkward nerd. It's very reasonable to say it's annoying but it's totally intentional.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kill a legendary deathclaw and the game should just bluescreen imo

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Icedude posted:

Please tell me there's a quest to put a bullet in this annoying as poo poo radio DJ and replace him with someone halfway decent.

I killed him. The result is not an improvement.

It's some 12 year old kid or something. I killed the DJ and waited for the next song and some pre-pubescent child got on the air and said "This is Diamond City radio. The best radio station!" I noped the gently caress out of that and reloaded the save before I killed the DJ

I may be going insane but it seems like the DJ actually starts growing a spine and being less horrible the further you get in the game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

(Credits to Reddit)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Does anyone know if the junk jet counts as a heavy weapon or single shot rifle?

In the wiki they have an entry for a gun called the broadsider, an actual man portable civil war style canon that I now need to find because it sounds loving rad.

Also fun fact, I learned last night: if you gun bash am enemy to death there is a special animation of you pistol whipping / rifle butting them down to the ground that looks really good and painful. This apparently also works for melee and hand to hand weapons so long as you kill them with the rifle bash /grenade button instead of the regular attack. I may have to spec out for heavy guns and rifle bashing now. I'm kind of curious what the minigun bash looks like.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 11, 2015

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

bhlaab posted:

shoot at it until it dies to get an epic purp

wait i just looked it up on gamefaqs and that death claw is marked as essential you're not allowed to kill him because it would ruin a very emotional scripted event later on where you kill the death claw

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've noticed that dogmeat gives a sad whimper when inspecting people in this one area, but npc traders from outside the area result in a playful bark, I think dogmeat can detect synths.

Turing tests? Who needs 'em!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

(Credits to Reddit)

HULKAMANIA

I FEEL IT BROTHER

Anyways, it seems that power armor is generated based on your level, which is cool :shepicide:

How are you guys getting "tcl" to work? It literally refuses to work for me, and I'm confused because everything else about the console works fine

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

xanif posted:

It's some 12 year old kid or something. I killed the DJ and waited for the next song and some pre-pubescent child got on the air and said "This is Diamond City radio. The best radio station!" I noped the gently caress out of that and reloaded the save before I killed the DJ

I may be going insane but it seems like the DJ actually starts growing a spine and being less horrible the further you get in the game.

Not sure if you know, but there's actually a quest to give him a spine.

Also, the USS Constitution quest has the best ending :911:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bhlaab posted:

wait i just looked it up on gamefaqs and that death claw is marked as essential you're not allowed to kill him because it would ruin a very emotional scripted event later on where you kill the death claw

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but that deathclaw is your son. It's very tragic.

Congrats on building the Polyhedron.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GlobalHero06 posted:

I just read this: "When you use an item with multiple components to craft something else, it will destroy the other components not used in the process, wasting precious rare materials.

For example, if you were to use a gold watch as a gears component, the gold will be destroyed in the process. However, if you break the watch down beforehand, you salvage all the raw materials."

Someone, please tell me this isn't true.

No way, that would be the dumbest :stare: Anyone?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

xanif posted:

Yeah, making him more confident is significantly better. You get a quest to help him later, and if you start improving the area he also gets a lot better.

His thing is pretty simple, but makes him really easy to sympathize with when you know it. He's basically a goon who really loves music, and realizes he can't do poo poo to fix this hosed up place. So since he can't do anything to fight/defend, instead he tries to lift peoples spirits with music, which is the one thing he actually knows about. Once you start fixing his confidence, he also starts playing better songs/pretty much everything he says in regards to songs changes.

The kid is loving awful. My friend got stuck with him since he saved after he killed the DJ, and he's seriously considering restarting because of it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

It's not true, stop perpetuating this lie.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm going nuts :stare:ing at this game because of how much more there is to it over New Vegas. Not just the new mechanic of building yourself a shelter and getting force-fed a suit of power armor in the first drat mission after the intro, even the little things like hitmarkers, and how you don't have to manually push a button to open every single box just to see what's in it.

That's not really New Vegas, so much as the terrible piece of poo poo engine that Bethesda also built.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but that deathclaw is your son. It's very tragic.

Hmmm maybe this isn't the thread for spoilers for other games but I think you might be confusing the storyline of this game with Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite or one of the other eight thousand games that are hamfistedly about being a lonely dad

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Generation Internet posted:

Not sure if you know, but there's actually a quest to give him a spine.

Also, the USS Constitution quest has the best ending :911:

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, making him more confident is significantly better. You get a quest to help him later, and if you start improving the area he also gets a lot better.

His thing is pretty simple, but makes him really easy to sympathize with when you know it. He's basically a goon who really loves music, and realizes he can't do poo poo to fix this hosed up place. So since he can't do anything to fight/defend, instead he tries to lift peoples spirits with music, which is the one thing he actually knows about. Once you start fixing his confidence, he also starts playing better songs/pretty much everything he says in regards to songs changes.

The kid is loving awful. My friend got stuck with him since he saved after he killed the DJ, and he's seriously considering restarting because of it.

Haven't done any quests related to him yet. I just kind of noticed that he started making more jokes and being less cringey and irritating as I continued along doing more missions.

Or, as I said, the other possibility is that I have legitimately started going crazy and have lovely radio anchor Stockholm syndrome.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How do I get dogmeat to stop loving up my stealthing?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xae posted:

Go solo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShadowMar posted:

god this dialogue system is the worst random chance bullshit ever. im loving amazed they took FO3's terrible system and made it worse.

It's loving awful. They took away the single piece of information that lets you judge success rate and simplified it even more. The 'lucky' part of it is that Bethesda's writers are so bad at quest design that so far the difference between passing or failing a check has been like 50 caps, or getting a piece of information for a quest that you get without effort 10 minutes later.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xae posted:

Park him by talking to him and telling him to stay while you do stealthy stuff and come back to him when you're done. Alternatively tell him to stop following you in one of your settlements.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

xanif posted:

Haven't done any quests related to him yet. I just kind of noticed that he started making more jokes and being less cringey and irritating as I continued along doing more missions.

Or, as I said, the other possibility is that I have legitimately started going crazy and have lovely radio anchor Stockholm syndrome.

He gets more events to comment on the further you get into the game, some of them are less cringey than the others.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

True story, if you look at a map of the Boston area it looks like a slaughtered calf.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

P.S., post your characters. I'd like to see your Fallout Boy/Girl.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Best bug yet, I turned the corner at the Beantown Brewery, the graphics flipped out and I got teleported about 100 feet in the air about a mile away from where I was, dropping to my death. It was like getting trolled by a server admin.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zaphod42 posted:

I could see them doing a whole "vault building" DLC like they did with hearthfire for skyrim.

I'm a little surprised that none of 3, NV, or (apparently) 4 did anything with the Vault City aesthetic.

For those who haven't played the earlier games, this is what having a GECK will let you do:

Beats living in a loving leaky shack where nobody has bothered cleaning up the 200 year old articulated skeleton on the sofa. :effort:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

It's loving awful. They took away the single piece of information that lets you judge success rate and simplified it even more. The 'lucky' part of it is that Bethesda's writers are so bad at quest design that so far the difference between passing or failing a check has been like 50 caps, or getting a piece of information for a quest that you get without effort 10 minutes later.

Not only do they make it hard to decide what to do, but they also make it so that I'm not punished much for deciding in ignorance! Utter incompetence!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

Keep reading the thread, I already responded to that comment. :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Broken Cog posted:

He gets more events to comment on the further you get into the game, some of them are less cringey than the others.

I turned on the radio briefly only to hear some awkward poo poo about how the 'Vault Dweller' helped save the besieged BoS, and I rolled my eyes so hard it looked like I was having a seizure, turned off the radio, and intend to leave it off.

I like the ambient music anyway.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

OH MY GOD.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ok, so the Star next to an enemy name is Legendary, got that, what is the skull? .....

Star, and a Skull... wtf... This thing was a hell of a fight, it could 2 shot me, I kept pumping Dogmeat with stimpacks so he could keep tanking, by the end I had blown off all of its legs, crippled its blood sack and its head. The loot was nothing to write home about, but that was an epic fight.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone figured out if you can equip already crafted mods on your weapons? I only get options to craft new ones even if I have a mod in my inventory.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I just found out that if you destroy both legs of a Deathclaw, it can't move anymore, like at all. It just awkwardly tries to pull itself up with its arms.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LumberingTroll posted:

Ok, so the Star next to an enemy name is Legendary, got that, what is the skull? .....

Star, and a Skull... wtf... This thing was a hell of a fight, it could 2 shot me, I kept pumping Dogmeat with stimpacks so he could keep tanking, by the end I had blown off all of its legs, crippled its blood sack and its head. The loot was nothing to write home about, but that was an epic fight.

Skull means they're a much higher level than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I'm a little surprised that none of 3, NV, or (apparently) 4 did anything with the Vault City aesthetic.

For those who haven't played the earlier games, this is what having a GECK will let you do:

Beats living in a loving leaky shack where nobody has bothered cleaning up the 200 year old articulated skeleton on the sofa. :effort:

the geck is a box full of seeds fertilizer, and a portable water purifier

or, if you play fallout 3, it's the genesis device from star trek

• Locked thread