Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I must've missed the dozens of posts gushing about Catherynne Valente's new novel Radiance, 'cause I'm 1/3rd of the way through it and goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Popular Human posted:

I must've missed the dozens of posts gushing about Catherynne Valente's new novel Radiance, 'cause I'm 1/3rd of the way through it and goddamn
How is it on a scale of 1 to Orphan's Tales? Because I loved that but wasn't so impressed by her other work, the Japan stuff in particular just drags on and on.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Red rising / golden son are excellent page turners. Someone crossed hunger games with Warhammer 40K and it is delicious.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I hated the Hunger Games portion of Red Rising which was like 2/3rds of the book but Golden Son was fun. Less sitting around in the woods and more blowing poo poo up in space.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I am not inclined to say they are great books, yet somehow Red Rising/Golden Son did get me far more amped to read them and now for the third novel than anything else I have read recently, including what
I would consider much better books. Admittedly I love the setting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just finished Nick Cutter's The Acolyte. Dystopian future novel where a hard-line Christian theocracy takes control. The protagonist is in the wing of the police who deals with faith crimes. Early on a spat of suicide bombings start and the plot moves from there. I liked it. It moved fast and had an interesting world. In feel it was maybe a little too close to a riff on 1984 but if you enjoy dystopian novels or like the other stuff written under the Cutter pseudonym give it a shot.

Right now I am in the market for dark and/or gothic fantasy. Think World of Darkness in terms of the feel and tone, or maybe the Night Land. Anyone read anything particularly standout with that kind of feel?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Patrat posted:

I am not inclined to say they are great books, yet somehow Red Rising/Golden Son did get me far more amped to read them and now for the third novel than anything else I have read recently, including what
I would consider much better books. Admittedly I love the setting.

That ending of Golden Son... yeah, I definitely need to get the third when it comes out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gormenghast.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda weird to recommend, but I've been reading the Innkeeper series by Ilona Andrews, and so far it's pretty decent.

It's got some light romance, but basically it's the second urban fantasy series I've read that includes magic, weird crazy critters, and sci fi poo poo all in the same universe. The first being the Nightside series.

I'm on the second book, and christ knows that there isn't much of a plot, but sometimes it's nice to just read a fluff book with minimal GRIMDARK overarcing plots.

Edit : This isn't because of anyone asking for recommendations, just was surprised by how fun the books were.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neurosis posted:

Just finished Nick Cutter's The Acolyte. Dystopian future novel where a hard-line Christian theocracy takes control. The protagonist is in the wing of the police who deals with faith crimes. Early on a spat of suicide bombings start and the plot moves from there. I liked it. It moved fast and had an interesting world. In feel it was maybe a little too close to a riff on 1984 but if you enjoy dystopian novels or like the other stuff written under the Cutter pseudonym give it a shot.

Right now I am in the market for dark and/or gothic fantasy. Think World of Darkness in terms of the feel and tone, or maybe the Night Land. Anyone read anything particularly standout with that kind of feel?
John Wright wrote a kinda shared world cum followup to Night Land called Awake in the Night Land. Supposed to be good.

i'm gonna bung up the genres and poo poo, but maybe try Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway, or the Perdido Street series from China Mieville. King's Dark Tower series?

If you want real dark fantasy check out the Malazan books. Great series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think if you want dark fantasy in the vein of the night land you should read, well . . . Lovecraft, comically enough. But if you've read the Night Land, you already have.

So something less well known. I'd suggest the Kane books by Karl Edward Wagner. Basically imagine Conan melded with one of the immortal psychopath evil sorcerors that are the villains in most conan stories. Most of the stories are about Kane seizing lower then losing it via his own betrayals and greed.

Very good but can be difficult to find. The stories written earlier are better, but read in internal chronological order.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think if you want dark fantasy in the vein of the night land you should read, well . . . Lovecraft, comically enough. But if you've read the Night Land, you already have.

So something less well known. I'd suggest the Kane books by Karl Edward Wagner. Basically imagine Conan melded with one of the immortal psychopath evil sorcerors that are the villains in most conan stories. Most of the stories are about Kane seizing lower then losing it via his own betrayals and greed.

Very good but can be difficult to find. The stories written earlier are better, but read in internal chronological order.

...Are you sure you don't mean the Elric books by Michael Moorcock? Because they sound identical.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

...Are you sure you don't mean the Elric books by Michael Moorcock? Because they sound identical.

I think the Solomon Kane books are better. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are the best, though. :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kane's more of a dick, kinda. Both worth reading. I think there was an Elric/Kane crossover.

Edit: Solomon Kane is also pretty entertaining, but he's more your straightforward Howard hero who bravely explores the jungles of Africa to save white women, and what not. Grudgingly respects his favourite magic negro, despite being a Puritan witch-hunter type who isn't a fan of all this weird foreign magic poo poo.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 11, 2015

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Off topic but the Solomon Kane movie on Netflix is a great way to murder your brain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Do elaborate? Entertainingly horrible?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Does anybody have a link to the old SF/F thread? I'm trying to dig up a specific post from it, but it seems to have vanished from the forums entirely.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Do elaborate? Entertainingly horrible?

I would imagine it's as bad as the Hansel and Gretel Witchhunter movie starring that guy who played hawkeye.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

I would imagine it's as bad as the Hansel and Gretel Witchhunter movie starring that guy who played hawkeye.

It's worse. Not as terrible as that lovely Terminator Genysis, but you will regret the time wasted when you're on your death bed.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

How is it on a scale of 1 to Orphan's Tales? Because I loved that but wasn't so impressed by her other work, the Japan stuff in particular just drags on and on.

Probably a 7 or an 8? So far I'm liking it much more than either Palimpsest or Deathless, but not quite as much as Orphan's Tales or the Prester John books. The epistolary narrative poo poo works really, really well here - someone described the book as "Blair Witch Project meets The Martian", and I think that's about right w/the caveat that its a bit more whimsical than either of those things.

edit: also I bought the new Thomas Ligotti collection the same day, and let me tell you its weird as HELL jumping back and forth between the two.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Man, I really have to check this out then -- I loved Deathless!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I was enjoying Dune a lot as I read it, but now that I finished it over a month ago...whenever I think of it, I just kind of have no good memory or association with it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Popular Human posted:

edit: also I bought the new Thomas Ligotti collection the same day, and let me tell you its weird as HELL jumping back and forth between the two.

I just read the Red Tower and it didn't do a huge amount for me, but I get the impression from how Ligotti's name floats around that I might like him. Is there a rec for something else to try?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

I just read the Red Tower and it didn't do a huge amount for me, but I get the impression from how Ligotti's name floats around that I might like him. Is there a rec for something else to try?

I started with Ligotti on My Work Is Not Yet Done and the collection I managed to get had that one and Nightmare Factory and one other, I enjoyed all three but I can't remember the title of the third. Of course, this was during a period when Ligotti was kinda hard to find and that's changed a bit for the better. Seriouly though MWINYD was good times. Well. Bad times, but good. You know.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Peel posted:

The Red Tower is the one about the creepy old factory, right? I liked that one, but its kind of a mood piece. I think Teatro Grottesco is generally considered to be his best collection, but the one I'm reading is pretty good - its a Penguin Classics reissue that combines his first two books (Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe) into one volume, for like $15. Pretty good considering they both used to cost upwards of a hundred bucks online.

The "Cosmic Horror and Weird Tales" thread has lots of discussion on Ligotti and authors like him, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ligotti is divisive; some people consider him the best horror author alive, some trash him as purple prose for its own sake. I'd definitely give Teatro Grottesco a read if you're interested, there's no one who does quiet, existential horror quite like him.

Also, got Radiance; from the descriptions I'm really looking forward to reading that one.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Gormenghast.

Seconding, one of the most important novel(s) of the last 150 years and easily the best I've read all year.

Boring, sometimes, but by the time it's over you feel like you've actually accomplished something. Just so utterly unique and wonderful. The only other book that's ever made me feel like that is Moby Dick.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Titus Groan and Gormenghast are great* - Titus Alone is very different - but I think you're looking more for Tanith Lee, Delusion's Master etc or whatever those books are called?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Does anybody have a link to the old SF/F thread? I'm trying to dig up a specific post from it, but it seems to have vanished from the forums entirely.

Isn't that because archives are down?

*If you can find it, Letters from a Lost Uncle, an illustrated novella about the Arctic, is good too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In the latest episode of "gently caress this dude writes fast", book 3 of the Revanche series by Craig Schaefer is available now on kindle!

http://www.amazon.com/Terms-Surrend...ms+of+surrender

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the latest episode of "gently caress this dude writes fast", book 3 of the Revanche series by Craig Schaefer is available now on kindle!

:wtc: Well, there goes my weekend. He's a goddamn machine.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What the hell book 2 was just out?!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

He could've had most of them written out on his hard drive before the first one was even published and he's editing and rewriting them into shape as fast as he can. Sanderson did something similar early on, but Schaefer might have a bigger backlog.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Looks like the first Harmony Black book is on preorder at Amazon for a February 2016 release. Blurb's a little awkward but it still looks good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Ligotti is divisive; some people consider him the best horror author alive, some trash him as purple prose for its own sake. I'd definitely give Teatro Grottesco a read if you're interested, there's no one who does quiet, existential horror quite like him.

He built up quite a reputation in the mid 00s simply due to the fact that it was almost impossible to read his stuff. He only published through small regional publishers who only did one print run so nothing was carried by national retailers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Accusing Ligotti of purple prose baffles me (replying here to some hypothetical accuser, not anyone in particular). His sentences are pretty scrupulously simple. He says what he means.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'll put Teatro Grottesco on the list, thanks all. I think The Red Tower (the factory one) could have done more for me if I were in a different mood.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The Shadow at the Bottom of the World is also good (re: ligotti)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Has anybody read The Whispering Swarm by Moorcock? I'm like 120 pages in, and some brief bits were interesting, but the rest is just loving insufferable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Robotnik posted:

Off topic but the Solomon Kane movie on Netflix is a great way to murder your brain.

I actually kind of enjoyed the first half or 2/3rds but then yeah it just poo poo the bed badly and obvious they ran out of money or something because god drat that was so bad it made the rest of it even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I always wanted James Purefoy to make it big after Rome but the poor guy never caught a break :(