Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Keep reading the thread, I already responded to that comment. :colbert:

Oh, thanks. That's actually really helpful :downs:

LumberingTroll posted:

Ok, so the Star next to an enemy name is Legendary, got that, what is the skull? .....

Also wondering what the skull is. I met a (non-legendary) Mr. Gutsy with a skull next to its name who took something like 12 shots from my sniper rifle to go down.

e: new page

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Skull means they're a much higher level than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bhlaab posted:

the geck is a box full of seeds fertilizer, and a portable water purifier

Nah, it's more than that. It's got a fusion generator and replicator and stuff too. It's a legitimately amazing tool for creating life. It's just not the magic device that shows up in FO3.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but that deathclaw is your son. It's very tragic.

Okay, I said this wasn't true before but then i got to this part of the game and it's starting to come together

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

in the settlement builder mode is there any possible way to select things from the menu to build that doesnt also select an object you're looking at? because ugh....

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

For those who haven't played the earlier games, this is what having a GECK will let you do:

An elitist dystopian society?

Also just outside the gates, there are the same makeshift houses you see in F3 and 4.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Todd "Sweet Lips" Howard - Hey guys, everyone hated Three Dog in the last game for some reason, we've no idea why, how do we make the radio dj better in boston?
Beth Employee 1 -Well Obsidian managed to-
Todd "Sweet Lips" Howard- You're fired. Next.
Beth Employee 2 - How about we hire one of the awkward weirdo nexus modders to voice the dj and just let him be himself?
Todd "Sweet Lips" Howard - YES! IT JUST WORKS!

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

homullus posted:

Not only do they make it hard to decide what to do, but they also make it so that I'm not punished much for deciding in ignorance! Utter incompetence!

Inconsequential, unpredictable choices are the pinnacle of game design. Todd Howard has done it again.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
where on the map is the charisma bobblehead? Like what area of the map. I haven't even gone as far south as diamond city yet for reference

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't even remember who or what the dj in New Vegas was, so mission successful I suppose.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm doing a quest with Deacon...and I have MacGready the sniper companion...somehow Deacon switched weapons and has my sniper companion's sniper, and my companion has Deacon' laser pistol...what the gently caress?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Todd "Sweet Lips" Howard - Hey guys, everyone hated Three Dog in the last game for some reason, we've no idea why, how do we make the radio dj better in boston?
Beth Employee 2 - How about we hire one of the awkward weirdo nexus modders to voice the dj and just let him be himself?

The dj owns and I am sorry for you if you cannot see this

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Park him by talking to him and telling him to stay while you do stealthy stuff and come back to him when you're done. Alternatively tell him to stop following you in one of your settlements.

You can tell him to go away from anywhere in the world and he'll end up in Sanctuary.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

I don't even remember who or what the dj in New Vegas was, so mission successful I suppose.

Mojave, Mo' problems.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

RC Cola posted:

where on the map is the charisma bobblehead? Like what area of the map. I haven't even gone as far south as diamond city yet for reference

NE, apparently. Not quite all the way east. And I guess maybe you have to do a quest to gain access to the place?

E: Fallout4map.com

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 11, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The GECK was a Genesis Device in FO2 as well. Arroyo turned from a small tribe to a major city, Vault 8 (iirc) into Vault City, etc. "The GECK is just seeds" stuff is secondary material by a dude whose opinions on Fallout don't matter any more.

Fintilgin posted:

For those who haven't played the earlier games, this is what having a GECK will let you do:

Vault City, a city of post-apocalyptic Libertarians.

"We didn't do anything special to get where we are, we're just better. Sure, we had a Control Vault* with a working GECK, but still, we BOOSTRAPPED ourselves!"

* I maintain the dumbest thing in Fallout, story-wise, was the "The Vaults were just experiments, never meant to save anyone" thing. Plenty more interesting if they were meant to save people, but did it differently in each one, or had secondary focuses. Could've still had failed Vaults, without descending to poo poo like "We're testing what happens when people can't eat!"-type poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 11, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Vikar Jerome posted:

Not only that but let's have him play the exact same poo poo Three Dog played, because NOBODY is gonna be sick of those loving songs yet!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Is there a way to level the floor for building? Some guy on reddit asked about a source of cement for floor leveling but won't respond when I asked how he was leveling the ground and I think he's trolling.

:saddowns:

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
Sanctuary crafting mission. I seem to have built a bed, at least it says 20% which I assume means one of the five beds, but how do I place it. I mean what pc controls? I've gone to several pretty open places in houses but I can't find any command to place the bed.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Skull means they're a much higher level than you.

Is this confirmed or just speculation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Is this confirmed or just speculation?

It is confirmed and mentioned in in-game tips.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Al! posted:

The dj owns and I am sorry for you if you cannot see this

"uhh... i guess... heres... another song from... someone. okay."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Titus Vespasian posted:

Sanctuary crafting mission. I seem to have built a bed, at least it says 20% which I assume means one of the five beds, but how do I place it. I mean what pc controls? I've gone to several pretty open places in houses but I can't find any command to place the bed.

After you craft the bed, use wast to move around, LMB/RMB to rotate the bed, Scholl wheel to Push and Pull it. when its in a spot you want, indoors and green, press "E" to place it.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 11, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The DJ is sort of cool because unlike Three Dog and like Wayne Newton, he actually knows something about the music he's playing, but god can he man the gently caress up already?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

keyframe posted:

Can someone please help me understand how hacking terminals work because I can't figure it out :(

Highlight the first word and x it, a hypothetical example would be "fears." You'll get a message for 2 matches. Try "beard," now you get 3 matches, this means 3 letters are right, and in the right order. Click "flora." One match, so the answer must have an "r" in the fourth slot, and an "a" in the 3rd slot. Pick a word that fits these criteria, in this hypothetical that would be "snarl."

Any line with an open parenthesis followed by a closed will help you, by removing a dud option or resetting your chances before failure.

Hope this helps.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I'd love to play except for the whole crashing on launch thing.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

Highlight the first word and x it, a hypothetical example would be "fears." You'll get a message for 2 matches. Try "beard," now you get 3 matches, this means 3 letters are right, and in the right order. Click "flora." One match, so the answer must have an "r" in the fourth slot, and an "a" in the 3rd slot. Pick a word that fits these criteria, in this hypothetical that would be "snarl."

Any line with an open parenthesis followed by a closed will help you, by removing a dud option or resetting your chances before failure.

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to add that the parentheticals can be any of the following ( ) [ ] { } or < >.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We're all happy and free here in Sanctuary.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I think what I need most for settlements is a simple list of who's living in any given place and what their job is. I'm coming up on ~20 settlers in Sanctuary and squinting real hard at what people are wearing to get and figure out who's assigned to stores and who's a farmer.

Also, a way to set militia would be pro, I want to be able to set uniforms and weapons for anyone on a guard post without manually trading everything.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Filthy Hans posted:

Hope this helps.

{ } [ ] and <> are all valid hacks

efb

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

Some nobody named Wayne Newton.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anatomi posted:

We're all happy and free here in Sanctuary.

Reminds me of that goon's aids sufferer concentration camp design.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone know where to find a melee weapon that isn't a tire iron or baton in the beginning of the game? I want a drat baseball bat.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So the more I keep reading the more I see that it looks like its just the one You're Special book you find at the beginning and that's it. Everything else is magazines and bobble heads.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like there was a missed opportunity in not making the DJ a baseball announcer.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like there was a missed opportunity in not making the DJ a baseball announcer.

Bring Bob Uecker in.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fun Times! posted:

Does anyone know where to find a melee weapon that isn't a tire iron or baton in the beginning of the game? I want a drat baseball bat.

Diamond City, being Fenway Pahk, has a dude that only sells baseball bats swattahs.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Times! posted:

There's a sledge at the Thicket Quarry or whatever the place is called. Right behind the water pump that Sully is trying to fix.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Man, the game bugged out for me. I've done everything in Vault 81, but I cannot get "Hole in the Wall" to trigger, even waiting outside the vault. Anyone know the quest ID so I can do it manually, or where I would look for the ID?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Can dogmeat visit Vault 111 with you?

Well... yes. He can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx6djzgm9n0

• Locked thread